• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Thanksgiving Side Dishes: Shake Up Your Menu and Share Recipes!

In summary, the conversation is about sharing recipes and experiences for Thanksgiving meals. Various dishes such as turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and green bean casserole are mentioned. A recipe for candied yams and pecan pie is also shared. The conversation participants express their excitement for trying new dishes and mention dishes such as sweet potato casserole, apple crisp, and 7-layer salad. Some participants are also looking for new recipes to try, specifically a recipe for "grape salad." The conversation also includes individuals sharing their contributions to Thanksgiving dinner, such as homemade macaroni and cheese and cheesy hashbrown casserole.
jrstephens
What are yall cooking? I would love to have something good and different from what I usually cook this year.

Share your experience and recipes!!!

Thanksgiving mealWE usually have this:
Turkey
STuffing
Mashed potatoes
gravy
rolls
bacon cheddar deviled eggs
whole kernel corn
green bean casserole

Candied Yams

INGREDIENTS

5 yams or sweet potatoes, unpeeled, about 4 lb total weight

For Topping:

1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature

1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon each ground nutmeg and allspice

Directions

Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F.
Wrap each yam in aluminum foil, pierce all over with a fork and place on a baking sheet. Bake the yams until tender when pierced with a sharp knife, about 1 hour.
Remove the yams from the oven, and reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Unwrap the yams immediately and let cool. Using your fingers or a sharp knife, peel the yams and cut crosswise into slices 1 inch thick.

FOR TOPPING: In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, walnuts and pumpkin pie spice. Using a fork or your fingertips, mix until coarse and crumbly.

Lightly butter an 8-inch square baking dish. Place half of the yam slices in the prepared dish, arranging them in a single layer. Sprinkle evenly with half of the topping. Layer the remaining yam slices on top and sprinkle with the remaining topping. Place the baking dish on a baking sheet. Bake until the topping melts and is bubbling, 15-20 minutes. Spoon onto warmed plates and serve immediately.

Pecan Pie

INGREDIENTS1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup dark corn syrup
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup pecan halves

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Beat together the eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter and vanilla.
Arrange pecans in bottom of pie crust and pour mixture over.
Bake for 50 minutes to an hour or until knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing.

We love trying new things. Especially being pregnant this Thanksgiving, I plan to have a variety!!

Debbie :D :D

I am making sweet potato casserole in my oval baker, apple crisp in my rectangle baker, 5-cup salad, the festive cheese spread from the PU&C card for the cheese board, an dpumpkin cheesecake, YUMMY!! My M-I-Law is making the turkey, ect and my daughter is making green bean casserole in her square baker, and party potatoes in her rectangfle baker and deviled eggs in the chillzanne, can you tell we are all PC lovers!!!!

I just got this recipe from a friend at church after tasting them at our Church Thanksgiving Dinner - they were soooo yummy!

Orange Pecan Sweet Potatoes
3 lb (4 large) sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks and cooked (I cooked
them in boiling water 8-10 min)
1/2 c chopped pecans, toasted
1 c brown sugar
2 TBLS corn starch
1 c orange juice
2 TBSP butter
1 tsp vanilla

Spray 13 X 9 baking dish with cooking spray. Add cooked sweet potatoes and
pecans.

Combine brown sugar and corn starch in small saucepan. Gradually add orange
juice, whisking to blend.Cook over high heat, stirring constantly until
mixture boils. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.

Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Pour over potatoes.

Bake at 350 for 45 min, until edges are browned and bubbly.

Serves 8-10

Also - I tasted a dish - all I can think to call it is "grape salad" It was fabulous - just grapes, a cream sauce, and a nutty topping - if anyone has a recipe or knows this dish - could you post it? I wasn't able to find out who made it - and I'd love to make it for something different for Thanksgiving!

I think we are having
Turkey
Oyster Dressing
Regular Dressing
Mashed Potatoes
Broccoli Casserole
Corn
7-layer Salad
Yeast Rolls
Deviled Eggs
Cranberry Salad
Sugar Free Pumpkin Pie (a twist that I put on the Spiced Pumpkin Tartlets)
Pecan Pie

We go to my husband's aunt's for Thanksgiving. This year I'm taking homemade macaroni and cheese (made with sharp cheddar and baked until nice and crispy on top, yum!) and gooseberry pie made with gooseberries from our own bush.

My standard contribution to Thanksgiving dinner is the cheesy hashbrown casserole. I can already taste it.

amya said:
My standard contribution to Thanksgiving dinner is the cheesy hashbrown casserole. I can already taste it.

I make this every year too! I mean every year, so, that's why I am wanting a change! Plus, my mom just made it this weekend for Sunday lunch! :D

DebbieSAChef said:
WE usually have this:
bacon cheddar deviled eggs
Debbie :D :D

I have made BLT eggs before I may need to make them again.

How do you do bacon cheddar? Just add bacon and cheese as the name sounds?

My Thanksgiving Menu:
Roasted Turkey with apple scented Gravy
Apple, sage and sausage stuffing
Festive Scalloped Corn
Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potato Balls
Rolls
Cranberries
Lime Jello Mold (family tradition)

Chocolater Pecan Lattice Tart
Pumpkin pie

this is my first Thanksgiving at my house! I am going to be making:

Cranberry Mouse, Macaroni and Cheese, Creamy Mushroom and peas rice, Spiced Pumpkin dip, Hot artichoke and spinach dip, Chocolate pecan lattice tart.

Everything else is pretty ordinary!

Related to Delicious Thanksgiving Side Dishes: Shake Up Your Menu and Share Recipes!

1. What are some traditional Thanksgiving side dishes?

Some traditional Thanksgiving side dishes include mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and sweet potato casserole.

2. How can I make my side dishes healthier?

You can make your side dishes healthier by substituting ingredients like butter and cream with healthier options like olive oil and Greek yogurt. You can also incorporate more vegetables and whole grains into your recipes.

3. Can I make my side dishes ahead of time?

Yes, many side dishes can be made ahead of time and reheated on Thanksgiving day. This can save time and stress on the busy holiday. Just make sure to properly store the dishes in the fridge or freezer and follow reheating instructions.

4. What are some vegetarian or vegan options for Thanksgiving side dishes?

Some vegetarian and vegan options for Thanksgiving side dishes include roasted Brussels sprouts, quinoa stuffing, roasted root vegetables, and vegetarian gravy made with vegetable broth.

5. How can I make my side dishes more flavorful?

You can make your side dishes more flavorful by incorporating herbs, spices, and other seasonings into your recipes. You can also add toppings like crispy bacon or toasted nuts for added texture and flavor.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • chefmeg
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jrstephens