• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Did the Dec Pampered Chefs Arrive 25 Years Ago?

uh...floppy disks were called "diskettes." Hard Disk: 14" - 5.25" (called a "floppy")Hard Drive: nowadays it's more like 2.5" or 3.5"
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Why, yes they did, about 25 years ago. There were three of them from Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) the DECMate, Pro 350 and the DEC Personal Computer was called the Rainbow. The Pro was a micro version of the PDP-11 (and not a very good version of it) the DECMate was a word processor and the Rainbow was a personal computer that ran both CPM and MS-DOS.

rainbow.jpg

Ooh, I remember those!Great parody KG! Very clever!

TY, I thought so. Apparently, no one else around here remembers those machines. They were pretty cool, the last of the attempts to take the market that the IBM PC pretty much took over about a year later.

So portable! LOL

OMG!! I too remember those! I remember the first one I ever encountered when I worked for the very first company I got hired at as a programmer back in the mid 80s. I had to move it from one desk to another. It took two of us to lift the "box"! GEEZ KG - way to go! Now I feel my age!

Trust me, John, it's a good thing to be able to feel your age. ;)

Oh I feel old too. I learned all about computers on these, I swear that is a piture of the one we had.

Remember Floppy disks and Hard disks. I still have a couple of floppy disks with stuff on them. LOL

Crystal Patton said:
Oh I feel old too. I learned all about computers on these, I swear that is a piture of the one we had.

Remember Floppy disks and Hard disks. I still have a couple of floppy disks with stuff on them. LOL

Uh, floppy disks aren't that old...some of us still use 3 1/2 inch ones to upgrade BIOS and boot systems.

...and hard disks are still in existence...

Now that comparison would be...who learned to type on a "real" typewriter...not an electric one where you had to push the carriage lever back and had to use carbon paper to make a copy or whiteout tape in the spot and hit the key to erase vs. a computer...

Who learned to draft used an actual pencil, board, triangles, etc. vs. an AutoCAD system...

But KG has a good couple decades on me so I'm still feeling quite young... ;)
Ducking as KG is throwing something 250 miles north at me...

You bratty kids.A floppy is 8" in diameter and it's, well, floppy.A typical hard drive was 14" in diameter and held 5 Megs.

My first computer was a Macintosh Plus in the late 80's I never had anything like one of these. By the time my family upgraded we were up to windows 95 on microsoft.

my dad took computer classes (at night) with punchcards. i learned a temperature conversion program in basic in high school. when i started my career, the computers had green screens and e-mail was still for the military.

now i get annoyed if my laptop slows down with 7 or 8 programs running.

I remember my first job as a Data Entry clerk... We used those punch card machines and one error threw off the whole program! It was horrible! I can also remember a computer like that for our first emails and documents. I was so happy to have that because I had a boss who wanted all his letters typed on the IBM Selectric typewriter. He would change one word at a time for 5-10 drafts! He nearly drove me nuts until we got the memory typewriters!

I remember those. I'm just so thankful that the computer has ushered in the paperless office. It's so nice to have everything on my computer and only handle one or two pieces of paper each day. What a time and space saver. No more big filing cabinets. No more papers to get lost. It comes in especially handy since I don't have to worry about carrying papers around in my flying car. How did I miss this thread before?

When Wang promised us a paperless office, I should have bought stock in International Papers. I would have retired 15 years ago.

Yeah, what a shame. I should have, too. We could have been millionaires.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You bratty kids.

A floppy is 8" in diameter and it's, well, floppy.

A typical hard drive was 14" in diameter and held 5 Megs.

I wasn't referring to one's THAT big, but my floppy disks are floppy.
We also called Hard Disk's the ones you removed from the computer that were 3 or 4 inches square. They are now referred to as 'Floppy Disk's' I believe.

I don't speak computer very well.:rolleyes:

The evolution of the floppy disk...they were actually called "diskettes." The medium was a soft material, which was, well, floppy. It was covered with the iron that made the recording surface. Floppy: 8" - the first ones held something like 75k.
Mini-Floppy: 5.25" (We used to call them "Dinky Disks")
Micro-Floppies: 3.5"People got confused because the micro floppies were covered with a hard shell. (They melt in your drive, not in your hand.)The evolution of the hard drive...the surface was a rigid material with the iron on the top. The "hard" material allowed for denser medium, thus, higher capacities.

I'm really surprised this thread has stayed clean...work in an IT department for just a few hours and you'll understand what I mean...

Byte me. rzzlbrzt minimums

Janet, I can just imagine.

1. When will the Dec Pampered Chef products arrive?

The Dec Pampered Chef products are expected to arrive in early December. The specific date may vary depending on the shipping and delivery process.

2. Can I pre-order the Dec Pampered Chef products?

Unfortunately, pre-orders are not available for the Dec Pampered Chef products. They will be available for purchase once they arrive in early December.

3. Will there be any holiday-themed products in the Dec Pampered Chef collection?

Yes, there will be holiday-themed products in the Dec Pampered Chef collection, along with a variety of other kitchen tools and gadgets.

4. Are there any new products being released in the Dec Pampered Chef collection?

Yes, there will be several new products released in the Dec Pampered Chef collection. Keep an eye out for updates and announcements on our website and social media channels.

5. Can I purchase Dec Pampered Chef products through a consultant or only online?

You can purchase Dec Pampered Chef products through a consultant or online through our website. However, availability may vary, so we recommend checking with your consultant or on our website for the most up-to-date information.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
Replies
Views
chefann
  • Nanisu
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies