• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director How Can I Help My Discouraged Consultant Reach Her Full Potential?

In summary, the team member was upset because she felt like she was not doing as well as she thought she should be. She was comparing herself to another team member who had recently promoted and attended a retreat. She felt discouraged because she felt like she was not doing as well as she thought she should be.
Chef Kearns
Gold Member
I have a consultant, my only consistent one, who is really down right now. I can't seem to get her to see how AWESOME she's doing! Her sales are never lower than $2k and she makes her calls and really works her business. She attends meetings and implements the stuff she learns. She's pretty much the perfect team member. However, no matter how well she's doing she doesn't feel like it's enough. Everytime someone says no to a party she takes it personally. She also hasn't recruited anyone. The recruiting part really frustrates her. She's attended the Director Express and we've had one-on-one training.

I'm coming here to see if there were documents about 100 no's or Go for No. I know that's a book, but I thought we had a document that had been floating around that I could email her. I don't want her to give up.

Any suggestions or documents I can send to her to help encourage her along? Thanks!

I would have her read The Aladdin Factor. It helps not only with learning how to ask, but also how not to take the no's personally. :)

What is she comparing herself to? I find that often they are comparing themselves to unrealistic expectations. I have one team member who looks at my recruiting and thinks that is the norm (I just signed my 24th person for the year) I am not expecting her to do that nor is anyone else. But SHE thinks she is a failure if she is not matching me.. and she is one of the top recruiters in my cluster. I had to sit her down and explain that she is in the normal range and to not compare herself to me

pcjenni said:
What is she comparing herself to?

Ohhhhhhh! Good question!!!! AND good answer!!!! Thanks for sharing!

The "Go for No" book was only $12 on Amazon back when I bought it. I even have an extra copy I can mail to her to borrow if you want.

Can relate to her feeling this way...and I bet there is more of this around than we think! Great advice everyone. The Go for No really had a good impact on me. I bought the series at conference and the CD is incredible. Well worth the purchase in my opinion.

I'd also sit down over coffee with her and examine her why and goals. She definitely needs to realize how fabulously she's working her biz. Consistency and attending trainings are huge and important. The "No" factor is tough and no one likes it. It affects us all, but we remind and reframe our thinking that it is expected. I particularly liked the idea that a "No" was progress and indicating that we ARE working our biz.

If recruiting is her goal - is she finding leads at her show? How quickly is she following up and how is her approach? Where is she getting stuck? Getting an interview...the interview...or after? Maybe listen to her method and see if something sticks out. Or, would you be willing to do the lead followup/interview for one of her leads and let her see you in action?

Also. It may help to remind her of the law of timing and averages. Knowing that working through the numbers will eventually get you where you want to go IF you're willing to push through those nasty "nos" helped a couple of my teammates. As soon as they believed and understood this, they became recruiting machines! The secret? They were enthusiastic and asked EVERYONE...they were surprised by who said yes and how often the yeses popped up.

HTH

Sandra,

I've been thinking a lot about this post and wanted to come back and comment. I don't think what she needs (my opinion anyway) is a peptalk or cheerleading. She needs a reality check. Like Jenni mentioned, she needs to figure out what she is comparing herself to.

Last spring, I was in FL at my director's annual retreat. A friend of mine was there who had just promoted to AD and had 4 TLs with her that were on the edge of promoting. My D asked her to give a little speech. In her speech, she mentioned that the previous retreat was the first time she had attended. (Hope you're following me so far!) I was shocked because that was my 2nd retreat as well... and then my shock was followed with massive discouragement... so much so that I couldn't focus on anything I learned and almost felt like coming home in the middle of the weekend.

That day at lunch, another D and I were talking and I said, "I can't believe that this is the 2nd retreat for *R* and me and she's an AD and I'm still struggling." My friend looked at me and said, "Yes... but you're not *R*..." That hit me like a ton of bricks.

I was comparing myself to someone who had an entirely different life than I did. The year she boomed in her biz was the same year I moved 2x and did everything BUT focus on my biz. In the same year, R's husband was laid off and PC was their ONLY source of income and her only choice was to kick it into high gear... thus the amazing performance.

I was comparing myself to someone with an entirely different situation than myself and it was being unrealistic.

I hope this helps a little... so I like I mentioned, she needs a reality check to see *who* she is comparing herself to and then find out why. Telling her she's doing a great job won't matter because that feeling has to come from herself.

Just my thoughts... HUGS! :eek:

Great point colleen. I wasn't implying a pep talk because it appears Chef Kearns already has done that again and again. Jenni's point was on target and I didn't think to expound on it. I was thinking it would be smart to point out what she has accomplished and hopefully hit home that she is working her biz. She needs to acknowledge and believe that she is doing well. If she doesn't believe herself as a successful consultant, no motivation to work her biz will be the end result. You are so right on in the fact that we do always compare ourselves, but do not delve into the situation and goals of the person.

Sitting with her and finding out her why and goals is along the lines of what you're stating. Once she has her goals and motivation, she can create an action plan and then celebrate her success when she hits her goals and deadlines. I like your approach better, and it's much better expressed. :)

I do know her goals and motivation. It is strong and she's working on it. However; she hasn't hit her personal goals. That's why she's feeling so down. And you are right, she is comparing herself to other consultants at our meetings. She she's people who haven't gotten their kits yet, but have recruited 3 people and 1 of them recruited someone. Man, when that recognition was presented at our meeting (by Duska, not me) I could see her wilting in her chair. She generates leads, they meet with her, but they don't sign. So, she has come to the conclusion that is it because of her.

She wants to stay at home with her son. She doesn't want to have to put him in daycare. She wants/needs to earn at least $1500 every month. She's mostly there with her sales, but to make it consistently she needs a team. That is imperative. As someone who has struggled with recruiting I can so relate to where she is now. We've talked and trained on overcoming objections and the new recruiting material, but she just can't seem to shove them off the fence. Seriously, she's doing everything right. Which is why she's down on herself right now (understandably). I do feel like her feelings are valid, BUT we've acknowledged them and need to move passed it to her continued success. She's kinda stuck in the low place. You know?

Thank you Colleen, you pretty much wrote what I think is happening with her. I will try to continue to help her celebrate her victories. I think what would really help is doing my own meetings. We currently attend Duska's meetings (I would HATE to lose that opportunity). I think focusing on our team's successes without being jaded by seeing Duska's team would help put things in better focus. Duska is striving to be a National team. That's huge! I'm trying to re-promote to Director and maintain it. LOL!

Thanks Laurie! You are right on with what you said as well!

My business started going really well when I started to achieve MY goals and not the ones my D had for me or anyone else for that matter!!!!

I felt at one point I had to earn EVERY monthly incentive, earn EVERY premiere trip, be in the newsletter EVERY month... and my goals were unrealistic to what was happening in my life. Yet, when I didn't achieve them, I would be so down on myself. And I would sit at conference and wonder what all those people who walked the stage were doing that I wasn't doing.

And the answer for me came down to one thing: consistency. I had been working my business sporadically at best and just doing what I needed to do to maintain my level. I was *hoping* for more, but not doing a thing to make it happen.

Now I feel differently. I just had a conversation with another D this morning about it. I know how much I need to earn each month to live and my goal is to do it with shows. Whatever I get in overrides is a bonus. It's not fair for me to ask them to work to achieve MY goals... they need to work to achieve their own. My team is too unpredictable to ask a lot of them. (Pathetic, I know!)

And what's funny is that since I've had the attitude that my biz comes first and foremost, I'm doing better this year than I ever have. At this point, my income is up 11% over last year. (I can't wait to see what it is when I get my 1099!). When I submit my next show, I will have officially earned Toronto (my first trip). It's not amazing and not the top level, but I'm happy and honestly kind of proud of myself!

I guess I really had to figure out what I wanted... the accolades (and there is nothing wrong with wanting that), the income, etc. When I really thought about it, all I really want is consistency. I want to be consistent with 8 shows a month and at least $4k in sales. I'm not there yet with the shows... I am in sales... I ended up putting in 6 of the 10 I had scheduled for October (2 cancelled and 1 didn't qualify as a show). This month I'm putting in 6.

Yes, I want to earn TPC and trips and see my name in the newsletter someday... but it will come when I focus on doing what I need to do to be consistent...

So I'm off track here... but I hope what I wrote makes a little sense! ;P

Chef Kearns said:
...As someone who has struggled with recruiting I can so relate to where she is now. We've talked and trained on overcoming objections and the new recruiting material, but she just can't seem to shove them off the fence. Seriously, she's doing everything right. Which is why she's down on herself right now (understandably). I do feel like her feelings are valid, BUT we've acknowledged them and need to move passed it to her continued success. She's kinda stuck in the low place. You know?...

Awe, poor girl. It's sad when they are determined to be the top performer & someone else rises above. For those who thrive off being the best, it really is like kicking the stool out from under them. :(

Have you volunteered to join her for the interview with her next potential recruit? Maybe watching YOU in action might key in something that she could change & start getting better results? I tell my team that you don't have to sell PC or sell the business opportunity. The company's reputation and the products do that for us. My goal is to allow the lead to make an informed decision. I lay it all out, give them the brochures to take home to review & the DVD to watch. When I follow up, I simply ask "Did you have time to review the material & if so, what did you think?" Then I hush & let them talk. I answer any questions that they might have, but I don't try to talk them into a decision. I let the lead (and the recruit that I'm relaying this to) know that the business opportunity really is like handing out a stick of gum in my mind. If it sounds good & they take it, I'm happy to give it to them. If they say no, that's fine too. I put my pack of gum back in my bag & I am not offended. I still need great customers & great hosts! If every single person that we encountered decided to sign up, we wouldn't HAVE a business because we'd have all recruits & no sales!!! LOL

I've recruited 3 this month, one of them has been thinking about the business opportunity for a good 8 or so months! Her hubby was not supportive. She was hanging out with friends & they mentioned an upcoming vendor event & asked if she new anyone with a home-based business who might want to join in. She asked if there was a PC rep. When they said no, she said she wanted to do a PC table. She then e-mailed me OUT OF THE BLUE to say that she's talked to hubby again, he's now on board & that she's ready to sign ... with a booth event already scheduled! :D So remind this person in your downline that "no" does not always mean "no never", it might just mean "I don't have the support system in play right now to make this work ... but hopefully someday that will change!" ;)

Great posts!!! Colleen when you mentioned showing her how far she is coming...that reminded me of when my ED complimented me on how far my business had come in the past year. I scratched my head and told her that it wasn't better. Then we looked at the stats and there was growth that I had not even seen.

I can imagine going to Duska's meetings would be great, but you are right...if you start comparing yourself to others, then you think what is "wrong" with me? I used to look at the AD I had for hospitality and think I would never has as big a team as she does. Well, it has taken me almost 11 years but I am there. Staying the course in our business and never giving up helps grow your business as well.

Let us know how she is coming along. I am hoping she sees her success and owns it!:chef:

Great post Colleen. And for the record....I think earning Toronto IS awesome! :D

I love and agree that it really comes down to what we want and need, despite what everyone else is doing. I too want consistency and my goals are 6 shows a month! I know I should be doing more, etc. But right now, my show sched is 3-4 shows. I'm not a top seller and I'm ok with that for now. I will want more and eventually tick it off my to do list. I think once I get a handle with time management, and work on that consistency...that will definitely help with my goals.

I am proud with what I have done...I love seeing my team grow and promote, and if that means less shows for me at the moment...then that's what it'll be. But oh when I can brag about sales stats like yours! lol

I do like the accolades (who doesn't), and I want to continue to earn Level 1 for trips - I'm honestly not motivated to work hard for the other levels. I like the idea, but know I can not and will not work as needed. I do want to earn TPC just once so I can say I accomplished it.

Be VERY proud that you earned the trip...it's a definite accomplishment, no matter the level.

Your insight and honesty is awesome. There are so many wise women here and I enjoy learning from each of you. :)

ChefKearns...you have done an awesome job with her thus far, and it rocks that you care enough to want to help more. You make a good point of possibly holding your own meetings. Could you do that and still attend Duska's for your personal benefit? I imagine she has AWESOME meetings, and so you can attend those and hold separate ones for your team. I know my team really started solidifying once I took that scary leap of running my own.

Wishing you MUCH success!

Thanks so much Laurie! Your post made my morning! :candyheart:

I always tell my team "There is ALWAYS someone who will do more than you.. period. It might be in our own cluster, it might be in our organization or it might be in the nation. You strive for YOUR best.. what is the worst that happens??? You will get something from working your business". I don't care what level you are at, there is ALWAYS someone doing more. I was thrilled to get Excellence in recruiting and was dying to see how many the top person qualified. I qualified 16 for 2009-2010 period. I worked my butt off for that. Well, as you might remember Jillian Grant qualified 33...WOW! That is double my performance. Does that take away from what I accomplished???? NO, it adds. I have a number to strive for in the 2010-2011 period. Not that I will match that or even come close but you know what? I WILL do more than 16 this year, I WILL earn the award... I might be in the top 5??? and if not I STILL grew my team by a tremendous amount. I STILL more than DOUBLED my personal income and sales, my personal team sales are up over 100%!!! WOW! Those are HUGE accomplishments. I might NEVER be THE best, but I sure am MY BEST. I know I can look in the mirror and say that to myself!

Glad to have helped put a smile on your face Colleen! :D

Jenni - LOVE, LOVE your post!!!

Just saw a great saying...maybe not to use in this case, but when discouragement sets in..."If the grass looks greener on the other side...start watering your grass"

Love it Ann!

baychef said:
just saw a great saying...maybe not to use in this case, but when discouragement sets in..."if the grass looks greener on the other side...start watering your grass"

love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

baychef said:
Just saw a great saying...maybe not to use in this case, but when discouragement sets in..."If the grass looks greener on the other side...start watering your grass"

I'm gonna borrow this for my fb status today!

Oh, that's where you got it from Linda. LOL! I was going to borrow it from you. Love it!

Sheila said:
Have you volunteered to join her for the interview with her next potential recruit? Maybe watching YOU in action might key in something that she could change & start getting better results?

Thanks for your post. Your business it really booming! I have suggested we 3-way call on an interview or meet together with her leads, but so far none of the people have felt comfortable with it. One lead completely fell off the map when she suggested we all get together. I kinda don't blame them. However, I do know how much more successful she would begin to be with her recruiting if we could do this at least 2 or 3 times. I think she is getting to the point of being more receptive to the idea. It is my goal to re-promote by the end of February, so we will be dilligently working together to help build her recruiting confidence.

Then perhaps you could have her join you when you talk to one of your recruit leads, or do some role playing. ;)

What should I do if I'm feeling discouraged as a Pampered Chef consultant?

If you're feeling discouraged as a Pampered Chef consultant, the first thing you should do is reach out to your upline or mentor for support. They can offer advice, share their own experiences, and help you come up with a plan to overcome your feelings of discouragement.

How can I stay motivated as a Pampered Chef consultant?

To stay motivated as a Pampered Chef consultant, it's important to set achievable goals for yourself and celebrate your successes. Surround yourself with positive and supportive people, and remember your "why" - why you joined Pampered Chef and what drives you to succeed.

What can I do to increase my sales as a Pampered Chef consultant?

To increase your sales as a Pampered Chef consultant, it's important to consistently promote your business and products to your network, both online and in person. Attend Pampered Chef events and trainings to learn new sales techniques and stay up-to-date on the latest products.

What should I do if I'm struggling to book parties as a Pampered Chef consultant?

If you're struggling to book parties as a Pampered Chef consultant, try reaching out to past hosts and customers for referrals. You can also offer incentives, such as discounts or free products, to those who book parties with you. Utilize social media to promote your business and connect with potential hosts and customers.

What resources are available to help me succeed as a Pampered Chef consultant?

Pampered Chef offers a variety of resources to help consultants succeed, including online trainings, marketing materials, and a supportive community of consultants. Your upline and mentor can also provide valuable guidance and support. Don't hesitate to utilize these resources and reach out for help when needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• finley1991
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
PCJenni
  • ChefBeckyD
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
cincychef
  • ChefBeckyD