• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Conference Spending: Tips for Budgeting Meals, Drinks, and Goodies

). There is no formal sit down meal on day 2, but there are usually a few restaurants in the area that offer discounted rates for conference goers. Day 2 dinner is at a restaurant of your choice. For Day 3 there is a continental breakfast available from 7-9am in the convention center. After that, the focus is on the sessions.
ChefJeniLobdell
I have never been to conference before. I have no idea how much spending money to bring for meals, drinks, conference goodies, etc.

Can anyone give me a ball park? I am trying to prepare ahead of time.

I brought $300 last year and came home with at least $40 remaining. Some of the conference goodies I paid for with PC Debit card, but not much.

Hope this helps!

A lot of it will depend on your willpower to stay away from the vendor booth. :) Dining in Chicago can be pricey, but you can also do it on the cheap. If you know that you will need snacks, pack a box of granola or protein bars in your suitcase - that will save you some bucks. They usually have ice water at the convention center, but it's easier to drink if you bring a sports bottle (they put out plastic cups, and they tend to spill if you walk quickly carrying one around).It sounds basic, but another way to save money at conference is to attend all the meals. I know some folks who skip the breakfasts, and end up spending good money for breakfast elsewhere. You have already paid for all Day 2 meals and Day 3 breakfast with your registration!

Thanks, I also appreciate the info.

Boy pricey is right...You can get soda at McCormick but I think you talking about $1.75 or $2 a bottle. And Ann is so right, the plastic cups are like, way dangerous!
I lost about 6 pages of notes! Not because I was in a hurry but because some lady didn't give me a chance to get away from the water station before forcing her way in! (I luckily got her all wet too!) After all, if she had just waited a lousy second!
Dinners in Chicago are fun but you can usually figure it will cost about $20. And again, it depends on where you go. I mean you have everything from McDonalds to Frontera to Corner Bakeries to Bice, so that's $5 to $50 a dinner. Check around with the rest of your group to see if they do plan dinners out.
The other thing that will soak up money is the vendor booths. Because they run conference specials, you usually end up buying stuff there. THEY DO take Credit Cards in most cases. Pampered Chef stuff can be purchased on your debit card or PC credit card.
The best advice though, set a limit for yourself and stick to it.

And then there's the surprise packs! I budgeted $100 for those and used $75. I tend to try to overbudget and use less than I planned. That way I get what I want and feel good about it, too!

Another expense would be to consider your transportation costs. This includes toll expenses, if you have them en route to the airport, cost of parking, taxi, shuttle, or train ride to the hotel and back to the airport, and also those baggage handling fees.
My first trip, I was shocked by how many dollar bills I was "handing out" all the time!! (Not that it was really that bad, I just hadn't planned for it!)
I recommend, if you want to keep the costs down, ride the train to the hotel area, which is only around $2 each way, as opposed to the costly taxi or shuttle service. You will have some walking to do, but it's usually minimal. Stay in a group, too, for safety. And be sure to carry some one dollar bills, too, for the "tips" here and there!!

You'll love Chicago!!

Paula

Thanks for all the great tips. What type of things to the venders sell? What are these suprise packs? On Day 2 how are the meals done? Do we have formal meals all together or meals for invidual groups?

I'll definitely be brining my water bottle and some snacks.

We are flying in, so I guess that means tax service? How far is it from the airport to the Hilton?

ChefJeniLobdell said:
Thanks for all the great tips. What type of things to the venders sell? What are these suprise packs? On Day 2 how are the meals done? Do we have formal meals all together or meals for invidual groups?

I'll definitely be brining my water bottle and some snacks.

We are flying in, so I guess that means tax service? How far is it from the airport to the Hilton?
Last year breakfast was buffet style, lunch was boxed, and dinner was the exec banquest (nice). There was a large seating area with round tables and you could sit where ever you wanted to at McCormick Center (I always sat with people I didn't know and met some really nice consultants).

From the airport (O'Hare) to downtown was about a 45 min taxi ride. 4 of us split it and including tip I think it was @ $16 per person. I took the shuttle back to the airport since I was by myself when it was time to leave and it cost @ $25....and he stopped at EVERY hotel downtown (what a pain that was....and it added about 30 mins to my already long ride).

Thanks Linda.

What does everyone normally where to conference? What do we wear to the Executive Dinner?

Conference is business casual (no jeans and no hoochie shorts/skirts) Exec Dinner is ****tail attire or a nice outfit.

pamperedlinda said:
Conference is business casual (no jeans and no hoochie shorts/skirts) Exec Dinner is ****tail attire or a nice outfit.
Oh my goodness you can't even say c0cktail on here! :p Wear something that you would wear to a very nice restaurant.

I love it. hoochie shorts/skirts!! BAAAA. I am guessing capris are acceptable. I am short and that is what I wear alot. I will have to work on the ****tail attire or outfit.

Has anyone shown up to conference in something hoochie before?

ChefJeniLobdell said:
I love it. hoochie shorts/skirts!! BAAAA. I am guessing capris are acceptable. I am short and that is what I wear alot. I will have to work on the ****tail attire or outfit.

Has anyone shown up to conference in something hoochie before?
Yes! I was so shocked last year (my first conference). My Director told me to dress in biz casual and no jeans (who wants to wear jeans in Chicago in July anyhow?!) I saw this girl with a mini-skirt slit so high up the front that there is no way she could have sat down with out showing all of her goodies! And then I saw two girls together who looked like they should be on the beach instead of at a business conference, they were in short shorts and tank tops....very tacky.

I plan to wear capri's too. Be sure you have comfy shoes though....there is A LOT of walking. I'm thinking about getting a pedometer this year to see just how much I do walk.

People just have no brains sometimes.

Good idea on the pedometer. Does that mean we can eat whatever we want, because we will walk it off? HAHAH. Nice thought.

Check with your director about your banquet. Not all are fancy. In fact, most of them have different themes and are quite fun.

Thanks. I will check with her about our banquet. I thought the banquet thing was for everyone that went to conference to get together.

The banquets are by Executive Director (or higher). You'll attend the same one that the rest of your cluster attends.

Ooooooooooohhh - I hadn't giiven this any thought as usually DH comes with me and he carries lots of cash. I am a platic person - everything goes on cards - I seldom carry cash (because DH always does). Hmmmm...I guess we need cash for airport transportation & little snacks here & there. I'll ask DH how much I mooched off of him in years passed and figure how much I should brign that way I guess.

Related to Conference Spending: Tips for Budgeting Meals, Drinks, and Goodies

How much spending money should I bring to a Pampered Chef party?

The amount of spending money you bring to a Pampered Chef party is completely up to you. We suggest setting a budget beforehand and bringing cash or a card to stay within that budget.

Do I have to spend money at a Pampered Chef party?

No, you are not required to spend any money at a Pampered Chef party. However, if you see something you like, our consultants will be happy to assist you with your purchase.

Can I use a credit card to make purchases at a Pampered Chef party?

Yes, most Pampered Chef consultants accept credit card payments at their parties. However, it is always a good idea to confirm with the consultant beforehand.

Are there any discounts or promotions available at Pampered Chef parties?

Yes, our consultants often offer exclusive discounts and promotions at their parties. Be sure to ask your consultant about any current deals or promotions.

Can I return or exchange items purchased at a Pampered Chef party?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers a satisfaction guarantee on all of our products. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can return or exchange it within 30 days of purchase.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AshleyAllison
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
carlajanes
Replies
Views
KimberleePowell
Replies
Views
lacychef