1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Computer Help Anyone?

1. pampchefrhondab

pampchefrhondab Senior Member

Hi all,

I've been having some computer trouble lately and wanted to know if anyone has had this happen before.

When I'm in a program - first started in Excel - the computer just starts having dots like .... then types a word or words. The words don't go together to make any sense.

First thing I did was lock down my firewall and run virus scans - nothing showed up. I checked the log for inbound traffic and there wasn't any. I rebooted the computer and didn't have the problem until today it started again. The difference is I used Skype and Mail Trust (to check your email from remote location). I did notice someone tried to PM me on Mail Trust; however, I did not respond and just closed the window. I tried to find a way to block, but that was not an option.

My computer also seems much slower then before. I've looked at "processes" to see what's running and there is a lot, but I didn't see anything that wasn't suppose to be there.

I also installed a new HP printer the day before this started, but the computer slow down started prior to that installation.

Any ideas?

P.S. Please don't say I can take it in to a repair shop - I know that. Just wanted to know if anyone else has ever had this before:)!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  2. Nanisu

Nanisu Veteran Member Gold Member

Have you updated your virus checker? And then run it again? There's wierd stuff going around, my dh had all kinds of wierd things on his laptop last night.

Jul 28, 2009
  3. pampchefrhondab

pampchefrhondab Senior Member

Hi Nancy,

Yes, it's updated. I'm running a full scan again using McAfee and Windows Defender. We will see what happens.

I did get a notice from McAfee last night it deleted two viruses that were trying to attack. I got them after going to a web site. I don't open email on my computer - I've been using my Blackberry.

Thanks though.

4. pampchefsarah

pampchefsarah Senior Member Gold Member

I'm not knowledgeable enough to really be of help, but my suggestion would be to do a full defrag. Also, my IT guy at work told me recently if you're running more than 70 or so programs at a time, you need to do some clean-up (personally, I wouldn't know what to remove - he removed alot of things I would have thought necessary for operation).

If you can wait until tomorrow, I can ask my D's hubby, who is a) a professional geek, and b) loves to be helpful.

Jul 28, 2009
Have something to add?