• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Christmas Dinner Dilemma: My MIL's Unexpected Parsnip Surprise!

In summary, MIL brought parsnips to Christmas dinner and Rennea didn't want them to taste like the turkey. She boiled them and added butter and salt and pepper.
rennea
Gold Member
I am having Christmas dinner this year, well actually I have Christmas dinner every year at my house. But anyways my MIL is notorious for showing up when invited to dinners, plops her butt down and expects to be waited on. She never helps out and NEVER brings anything but expects to take food home.

Well last night when we were at their place she told me she would bring parsnips. Now DH and I don't like parsnips, neither do my parents but I thought if she wanted to bring them that would be fine.

As we were leaving and just going out the door she hands me a bag of... you guessed it parsnips!!!! I guess I'm cooking parsnips this year! LOL:)

If she expects to be waited on, serve her a plate with nothing but parsnips on it!

I say you put them on a plate uncooked. When she asks why, say, "Sorry, we don't eat them, I thought this was how you prepared them.";)

BTW, if this is a constant issue, since it is DH's mother, he should address it...

We are having a laugh about it today, my parents think it's funny too. My Dad is really bad at keeping is mouth shut. He will for sure have something to say about this a dinner.

Don't do anything with them. Tell her that you thought she was planning to prepare them at your house.

Well Rennea...how'd it go with the parsnips? I would have baked them in a pie for her! :)

Rennea, when I read your story, I knew I had to share this video with you!! Enjoy, and Merry Christmas.:love:

http://www.homestarrunner.com/parnsips.swf

Well I just boiled them. Added butter and S&P to them when they were done. When MIL asked why I didn't put them in with the turkey because "that is how they are ment to be done" I told her that I didn't want the taste to transfer to the turkey.

Needless to say she pouted through dinner! LOL

Oh my...I've NEVER cooked parsnips with my turkey, and didn't you say she just handed you a bag of them?Next family meal she cooks (if that ever happens), hand her a bag of random food and don't say anything and see how it gets prepared - LOL!You must be the evil DIL today! ;)

LOL!

I have to admit - I do like parsnips (don't think I want them roasted with the turkey though). I like to make roasted root veggies and do a combination of Carrots, Parsnips, Fennell, Rootabeggas (sp?), Turnips, Sweet Potato - I toss them in Olive Oil and sprinkle with Rosemary Herb Seasoning. It's quite good.

pampchefsarah said:
Rennea, when I read your story, I knew I had to share this video with you!! Enjoy, and Merry Christmas.:love:

That was the strangest thing I've ever seen...almost unsettling...I'm sure I'll have nightmares about parsnips and strange cartoon characters and potato ghosts... (as I sit here eating my potato soup that I made yesterday!)

Kitchen Diva said:
That was the strangest thing I've ever seen...almost unsettling...I'm sure I'll have nightmares about parsnips and strange cartoon characters and potato ghosts... (as I sit here eating my potato soup that I made yesterday!)

Hey, it helped us get through the 3000 mile drive from CA to VA in two days with two kids!! We said "What?" alot and "No parsnips for you!"

pampchefsarah said:

OMG!!! We love Strong Bad here!

pamperedlinda said:
LOL!

I have to admit - I do like parsnips (don't think I want them roasted with the turkey though). I like to make roasted root veggies and do a combination of Carrots, Parsnips, Fennell, Rootabeggas (sp?), Turnips, Sweet Potato - I toss them in Olive Oil and sprinkle with Rosemary Herb Seasoning. It's quite good.

Linda! My DH does this same thing but also adds beets and halved brussel sprouts! YUMMMM!!

dannyzmom said:
Linda! My DH does this same thing but also adds beets and halved brussel sprouts! YUMMMM!!

mmmmm! I bet that is good.

Related to Christmas Dinner Dilemma: My MIL's Unexpected Parsnip Surprise!

What is "My Funny for the Day"?

"My Funny for the Day" is a daily email newsletter from Pampered Chef that features a funny or lighthearted story or joke to brighten your day.

How do I sign up for "My Funny for the Day"?

To sign up for "My Funny for the Day," simply visit the Pampered Chef website and click on the "Sign Up" button. You will need to provide your email address and select the "My Funny for the Day" option from the list of newsletters.

Can I customize the frequency of receiving "My Funny for the Day"?

Yes, you can choose to receive "My Funny for the Day" daily, weekly, or monthly. You can also opt to unsubscribe at any time by clicking the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the newsletter.

Are the jokes in "My Funny for the Day" appropriate for all ages?

Yes, we strive to make "My Funny for the Day" family-friendly and suitable for all ages. However, if you find a particular joke or story offensive, please let us know so we can address the issue.

Can I submit my own funny stories or jokes for "My Funny for the Day"?

Yes, we welcome submissions from our readers! If you have a funny story or joke that you would like to share with our community, please email it to us at [email address] with the subject line "My Funny for the Day Submission." We cannot guarantee that all submissions will be featured, but we appreciate your contributions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
kcjodih
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
Replies
Views
wadesgirl