• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can't Get the Pizza Dough to Roll Out!

In summary, the Garden Ranch Pizza dough will not roll out easily unless it is cold, and the best way to roll it out is to use a mix from Betty Crocker. If the dough is too cold, it will bounce back. The best way to make the crust is to preheat the oven and then shape it into a disk before baking. Tracy also recommends using the rectangle stone or bar pan instead of the large round one.
Sarah
:confused: Help! My first show is 4 days away. I am making the Garden Ranch Pizza and I have practiced it twice. My problem is getting the dough to roll out to the edges of the stone. It just acts like a big ball of gum and retracts back to its original log shape unless I get all muscular with it. Then it moves but tends to tear. I don't want to break a sweat rolling out the dough! :eek: I am planning on preparing the crust before the show (like in the video) but I don't want to have so much trouble with it at the host's house. Does anyone have any tips for this?
Thanks,
Sarah

Did you put a little flour on the stone and the Baker's Roller? That should do the trick.

Thanks. Yes, I floured the stone and the BR.

If I remember correctly (been a while since I've made this), if it is really cold, it likes to bounce back more. If it is room temp., it likes to get sticky. I don't think I worried too much about getting it to the edge. I think I just got it as good as I could and it was fine.

I have done this several times on the rectangle stone. This works well cause I don't have to worry about getting the dough in a round shape.

I usea mix from betty crocker to make my pizza dough, it is .79 cents for the bag you just add water. It works great ! You roll the ball yourself it is not in the square shape like the pillsbury refridge one.Which makes it real easy to roll out. Try it at home first ! I make the dough put it in the fridge for 15 minutes, take it out add a little flour to it , my stone as well and it rolls right out no problem ! I use it all the time it is cheap ! :)

Are you using Pillsbury brand? I do have problems on off brand names.

PillsburyGinger, I did use the Pillsbury brand. I can see how the rectangle stone would work better. Maybe I'll try the mix, Danielle. Do you bake it for the same amount of time, 18-22 minutes? Thanks :)

I had the same problem!I had the same problem with the Pillsbury Pizza dough. It took me a lot of muscle to get it rolled out.

Then I bought the dry mix, but the brand I bought was Martha White....79 cents a package, and it worked great! Much easier to roll and I liked the way it baked better too, was crispier, which I like more.

Give that a try, it's all I'll use from here on out!

Tracy

how odd- I've never had a problem with pillsbury dough. In fact I was surpised at how well it spread. I put a little flour on the bakers roller too. That may help. It may help you too, like Ginger said, to let it sit out of the fridge for 10 minutes or so.

I think someone else already mentioned this, but if the dough is the wrong temperature it will not roll easily. I know I found the same with the cookie dough, keep it in the refridgerator until you are ready to use it and then set it on the counter about 20 minutes before beginning the recipe. Maybe while prepping the rest of the ingredients.

As for the dry crust mix, I have not tried it yet, but I understand that PC makes a very good pizza crust mix.

I usually form the pizza dough into a ball, flatten it into a disk and then roll it. That works easier to me than trying to go from the log.

Another thing that works if you are using it cold, right from the frig: open it up from the seam until it's a long flat piece and then shape it.

I totally have this problem, too! I agree with the suggestions already given- especially unrolling it the way it's meant to be, then tearing off the corners to reshape it into a circle.

Also, I ALWAYS do it before the guests come so they don't see the muscle I have to put into it! The host never really seems to notice.

I'm thinking of using the bar pan or rectangle stone instead of the large round so that I won't have to reshape the dough- the baker's roller would just be used to spread it out a bit.

The PC crust is awesome. It you have trouble rolling the crust out, try stretching it the air first around the edges. Grab the dough by the edges and pull gently.

Don't toss it in the air though unless your an expert. My kids did this once because they saw it on TV, and it stuck to the ceiling and stained the paint.

Pizza CrustI've found that if I shape it into a ball before I try & roll it out, it ALWAYS springs back. Just lay out the crust flat and shape with your baker's roller.

1. Why is my pizza dough sticking to the rolling pin?

There are a few reasons why your pizza dough may be sticking to the rolling pin. It could be that the dough is too wet or has too much flour on it. Try adding a little bit of flour to your rolling pin and work surface to prevent sticking. You can also try using a non-stick rolling pin or lightly oiling your rolling pin before rolling out the dough.

2. How do I fix pizza dough that keeps tearing or ripping?

If your pizza dough keeps tearing or ripping, it may be too dry. Try adding a small amount of water or olive oil to the dough and knead it in until it becomes more pliable. You can also let the dough rest for a few minutes to allow the gluten to relax before rolling it out again.

3. Can I use a rolling pin to roll out my pizza dough?

Yes, a rolling pin is a great tool for rolling out pizza dough. Just be sure to lightly flour your rolling pin and work surface to prevent sticking.

4. How thin should I roll out my pizza dough?

The thickness of your pizza dough is a personal preference, but a good rule of thumb is to roll it out to about 1/4 inch thickness. This will allow the dough to cook evenly and hold toppings without being too thin or too thick.

5. Why is my pizza dough shrinking back when I try to roll it out?

If your pizza dough is shrinking back when you roll it out, it may be because the gluten in the dough is too tight. Let the dough rest for a few minutes before rolling it out again to allow the gluten to relax. You can also try rolling the dough out in smaller sections instead of all at once.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
KindaichiShota
  • sandilou
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • tpchefpattie