• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can we make a difference in gas prices by not pumping on July 15th?

In summary, the email urges people not to go to the gas station on July 15th in order to protest high gas prices. However, this is ineffective and a slightly different version of a chain letter that has no basis in fact.
jrstephens
Got this in Email today. I do not know how wide spread this is, but if the whole nation did this I bet we could drive the prices down!

Pass this on - we should do this & see what happens

Don't pump gas on July 15th

In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted in nationwide protest
of gas prices.

Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon in one day

On July 15th 2008, all Internet users are to not go to a gas station in
protest of high gas prices.

Gas is now over $4.00 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the Internet
network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up!!!

If everyone did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would
Cost the oil companies $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION)
for just one day!

So please do not go to the gas station on July 15th and let's try to
put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at least one day
(and possibly MORE!)

If you agree forward this to everyone - I just did!!!

Cool thanks I will be too !!!!

Why one-day gas 'boycott' won't work - Answer desk - MSNBC.com

This is both ineffective and a slightly different version of a chain letter that has no basis in fact; ie, there was never a "gas out" on that date and no facts to support the assertion that "gas dropped 30 cents overnight". It's almost urban legend material.

You're better off buying a high mileage car, really.

I did notice that gas dropped here the other day but it was only by $.03 my DH heard that it was because Bush ok'd for drilling on our shores and so the barrel price went down by 8.00 now I dont know how true that is but maybe it is a good outlook for the future.
I have always seen these emails and wondered if they would really work but then when you think about it if you are on empty you fill up the day before or the day after. Which would make it worthless going on a gas strike.

This chestnut has been around for a long time, and while it sounds good, and feels good, it does virtually nothing except hurt the poor slob who owns the gas station that you boycott.

If you postpone buying gas until the 16th, while you may have prevented $2,292,000,000.00 going to the oil companies on the 15th, but they will get $4,584,000,000.00 on the 16th.

So what did that accomplish?

Nothing.

got this last year and the year before, just slightly different wording!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
This chestnut has been around for a long time, and while it sounds good, and feels good, it does virtually nothing except hurt the poor slob who owns the gas station that you boycott.

If you postpone buying gas until the 16th, while you may have prevented $2,292,000,000.00 going to the oil companies on the 15th, but they will get $4,584,000,000.00 on the 16th.

So what did that accomplish?

Nothing.

Yeah, but the government gets about 45 cents per gallon of our gas money and the oil companies get about 12 cents per gallon...so really it just helps our politicians...

I've seen this many times too. Sure would be nice if it would work though wouldn't it. But KG is right you WILL have to buy that gas sometime.

I won't ever post this again---a lot of people jumped down my throat about it the last time I posted it.

I can see both sides of the coin on this one, but I really felt like the CS police were after me. :)

My opinion is, that if EVERYONE would do this whether u eventually have to buy gas or not it WOULD make a difference b/c the oil companies would see that we are serious. If we do it for one day they will see that we can continue to do it again.

I agree with Vanessa that American are selfish.

People complain about the prices but keep on buying and saying nothing can be done about. Well something could be done about it. If everyone just cut one trip a week out that would make a difference.

Until our actions back up our complaints it will just keep going up and up.

I do believe a difference can be made, we would just and when I say we I mean everyone would have to be inconvience a little to do it.

If ONE LADY can get prayer officially taken out of school then America can pull together to make a difference.

Also, if our government would freeze gas prices instead of lining their pockets with oil money it would make a difference.

I am sure I am opening up a "can of worms" but what's new, HA!:D

jrstephens said:
My opinion is, that if EVERYONE would do this whether u eventually have to buy gas or not it WOULD make a difference b/c the oil companies would see that we are serious. If we do it for one day they will see that we can continue to do it again.

People complain about the prices but keep on buying and saying nothing can be done about. Well something could be done about it. If everyone just cut one trip a week out that would make a difference.

I do believe a difference can be made, we would just and when I say we I mean everyone would have to be inconvience a little to do it.

If ONE LADY can get prayer officially taken out of school then America can pull together to make a difference.

Also, if our government would freeze gas prices instead of lining their pockets with oil money it would make a difference.

But Jen, this has nothing to do with the oil companies...2 years ago gas was at just about 2.00-2.25 a gallon---government has taxed gas to death, spectators have scared the prices up high and other foreign countries are drilling for oil off OUR coasts while they government wont' let us drill here at all- but China can drill for oil off Florida? They are doing it right now as I type this. The price of gas has nothing to do with oil companies- blame the Saudi's if you want to- they are the ones that could up production if they wanted to, but the problem is that we reached peak production back in the 80's, and there isn't much more to up... ya know.

I'm not mad at all- so don't take this that way- I'm just sharing what I've learned over the past two years- I agree that something has to be done, but we aren't using much more gas than we did 10 years ago- the problem is that India, Egypt and China have suddenly needed to tap into the world market and they are now vying for the same oil and fuel that we used to be able to have first pick over, so now these countries are coming online so to speak and they are developing left and right and are consuming sooo much more fuel than they did even just 5 years ago- so with the addition to a minimum of 3 entire countries needing crude oil- the system can only take so much, it is supply and demand and if we don't demand it and get it first, someone else will take it and we'll be reading by candle light! :)

I don't get angry when people post the don't get gas on Friday things, I used to send those emails to everyone I knew and then some. But I started educating myself on why was gas going up so high? The last time it was this high, Jimmy Carter was president and interest rates were over 18%... so at least interest rates are in the 6-7% range...but fuel is expensive again...

I love you much, and everyone else that posts, so don't think I'm a CS police and I'm jumping down your throat. I am only sharing what I have learned and like you taught me Miss Jen (which I'm proud of by the way- it took me years to be able to say this with confidence) that you don't have to agree with me, but it doesn't mean we still aren't pals, we just don't agree! :)

HAve a good night!

jrstephens said:

Ooo, I LOVE worms ! LOL Ya know it's just one of those things where quite a few people are going to have to stand up and be courageous before this gets fixed. I'm ready to storm the castle gates, wanna come with? :)

One way to make a significant dent is to use less gas all the time, not just on one day.

This is what a lot of people are doing in my area: carpooling, riding bike to work, taking the bus, taking a job closer to home, doing errands on one day.

The less we need gas, the lower the prices will get. SUPPLY AND DEMAND

vwpamperedchef said:
I won't ever post this again---a lot of people jumped down my throat about it the last time I posted it.

I can see both sides of the coin on this one, but I really felt like the CS police were after me. :)

You mean on this thread? http://www.chefsuccess.com/f18/gasoline-strike-friday-may-2-a-36817/

No one jumped down your throat hon- people even said they weren't trying to be hurtful... KG posted some accurate info that mirrors a lot of what I've been learning, however my number on the government side was a bit larger than his as I was going by memory and not off the book I have... Anyway I just wanted you to know that we love you Vanessa and if you felt I was being a CS police when I posted on your thread, I am very sorry. I certainly did not mean to make you feel like you personally were being attacked. I think the idea was being attacked, but not you. Please forgive me if I hurt or offended you in any of my posts on your thread.

Kitchen Diva said:
Ooo, I LOVE worms ! LOL Ya know it's just one of those things where quite a few people are going to have to stand up and be courageous before this gets fixed. I'm ready to storm the castle gates, wanna come with? :)

Do u want your worms deep fried or baked? HA!

DessertDivaFL said:
One way to make a significant dent is to use less gas all the time, not just on one day.

This is what a lot of people are doing in my area: carpooling, riding bike to work, taking the bus, taking a job closer to home, doing errands on one day.

The less we need gas, the lower the prices will get. SUPPLY AND DEMAND

I have seen this in my area too. One county is going to a 4 day work week to help with their gas prices. And another County is watching to see how it works for them and may do it too.

I am making less trips, too. Russell got a motorcycle last year and is using tht instead of his truck on good weathet days.

A local new station has a lady that has vowed to not drive during the month of July and is showing people how to cut back.

Kitchen Diva said:
like you taught me Miss Jen (which I'm proud of by the way- it took me years to be able to say this with confidence) that you don't have to agree with me, but it doesn't mean we still aren't pals, we just don't agree! :)

HAve a good night!

You are so right and I am glad I have had a positive influence on someone haha!:D

jrstephens said:
Do u want your worms deep fried or baked? HA!

I like them battered and served with cinnamon sugar and honey dipping sauce! :) LOL

Yes, you've had a good influence on me- go find someone to pat you on the back since I can't yer too far away!

Did you try any of the WW recipes yet?

Some companies here and UC ( our university) is going to 4 day work weeks too.
They just put in some new walking trails in our area and we can walk to some parks now.

I have cut down my driving alot, those minivans are expensive to fill. I
also combine my trips out to save on gas. I hate that the price of gas is so high, but I don't really have an opinion about this one way or another.

I can't say this works for me EVERY week, but ever since the gas prices started to go crazy I started making a more concerted effort to combine all of my errands into one trip. I fill up my gas tank once a week, and unless I have something vital (doctor's appointment, family gathering, PC show, etc.) I make that tank last me the week. If I run out of gas before the week's up and don't have a "qualified reason" to drive somewhere, I stay home. If I know I've got to run some errands and go to the grocery store, I plan my trip the day before (this helps not only with gas usage but also with my twin toddlers...the better I plan the more fun we have and the more sanity I retain). It's not the "easiest" solution, but at least I'm trying. :)

Being the daughter-in-law of one of those "poor slobs" as KG said:)p), these attempts only hurt the owners. I agree with what others have said; just cut down your driving, combine errands, etc, to use less gas. Just cause you don't buy it "that day"; you're just going to have to buy it the next day.
Please know that it is not the gas stations fault---they are not making any money in this whole crazy deal. On May 1, my inlaws had to stop selling gas; it got too crazy & they were losing money & were tired of the stress.

lacychef said:
Being the daughter-in-law of one of those "poor slobs" as KG said:)p), these attempts only hurt the owners. I agree with what others have said; just cut down your driving, combine errands, etc, to use less gas. Just cause you don't buy it "that day"; you're just going to have to buy it the next day.
Please know that it is not the gas stations fault---they are not making any money in this whole crazy deal. On May 1, my inlaws had to stop selling gas; it got too crazy & they were losing money & were tired of the stress.

Please know that I think that stinks, and I'm very sorry for your inlaws! It just isn't right---the taxes and fees on certain things are slowly killing American small businesses... give you an example- oh wait...I'll PM you my example later today if I don't forget! :)

Prayers for a huge caravan of snack craving teens to stop by your inlaws store and buy everything they have!!! :)

I live a mile from my work...I am thinking I will start walking to work every morning. I am just worried about sweating and flat hair...oh yeah and the walk back home in the 80+ temps!

My sister started riding her bike to work (9 miles) because of the gas prices. I try not to drive to much I go about 1 month on a tank of gas. I fill up every 2 weeks and my tank is only at 1/2. When my DS starts school again I totally plan on walking him to school.

what kills me are some of our neighbors who have "b$%^@&d" at us for months because we have 4 drivers and still drive 5 cars 2 which are SUV's & 1 a truck & how much $$ we could save if we downsized & how much it costs them even with their little cars to get to work, and how they've given up eating out even at the local pizza buffet place to pay for gas. (now, mind you I have never complained once about the cost of fueling 5 cars) but on the morning of the 4th they came over and asked if we wanted to come over for a party and add our fireworks to theirs.... we already had invited friends so declined Then they said if you haven't bought fireworks just watch ours one of them spent $600 the other $350 HUH?????? I held my tongue but I certainly had how dare you thoughts in my little head.

Teresa Lynn said:
what kills me are some of our neighbors who have "b$%^@&d" at us for months because we have 4 drivers and still drive 5 cars 2 which are SUV's & 1 a truck & how much $$ we could save if we downsized & how much it costs them even with their little cars to get to work, and how they've given up eating out even at the local pizza buffet place to pay for gas. (now, mind you I have never complained once about the cost of fueling 5 cars)

but on the morning of the 4th they came over and asked if we wanted to come over for a party and add our fireworks to theirs.... we already had invited friends so declined Then they said if you haven't bought fireworks just watch ours one of them spent $600 the other $350 HUH??????

I held my tongue but I certainly had how dare you thoughts in my little head.

Well, at least it's cheaper to blow up fireworks than it would be for one of them to blow up their little gas sipping cars! :) LOL People are funny, ya know!

pampered.chris said:
I live a mile from my work...I am thinking I will start walking to work every morning. I am just worried about sweating and flat hair...oh yeah and the walk back home in the 80+ temps!

I nromally drive to the post office for work and when I went back this week I started walking. It's about 3 or 4 blocks on eway. I walk in the morning but in the afternoon when I got b/c it is so hot. But that has cut out a little bit. I also walk to the bank.

pampered.chris said:

I don't do sweat~ ha ha :)
..... only when I exercise

Kitchen Diva said:
Please know that I think that stinks, and I'm very sorry for your inlaws! It just isn't right---the taxes and fees on certain things are slowly killing American small businesses... give you an example- oh wait...I'll PM you my example later today if I don't forget! :)

Prayers for a huge caravan of snack craving teens to stop by your inlaws store and buy everything they have!!! :)

Aw thanks Kacey! Actually, that's why they weren't making any money there, they don't have a big convenience store with candy, etc...

We have cut back and I layout all of my stops before leaving the house and I do walk for the most part but lately it worked out i haven't had to be driving as much but when I go for my son's doctor apts in another town that is over 75 miles it seems we fill up soon then when we just stay around our town.

I am so sick of the gas prices!! We are still at $4.19/gal. around here! I heard Ohio is about 30 cents cheaper just due to state taxes!

My monthly budget for gas is now $750! Oh just think what I could do with that money if gas were back to $1/gal.!

pampchefrhondab said:
I am so sick of the gas prices!! We are still at $4.19/gal. around here! I heard Ohio is about 30 cents cheaper just due to state taxes!

My monthly budget for gas is now $750! Oh just think what I could do with that money if gas were back to $1/gal.!

You could buy a Lexus with that much money! :) LOL

we are down to $3.89, which really ticks me off that I think that is good now!

We'd all be dancin' nekked in the streets if it dropped down to $2.50 a gallon! I'd be bringing a 50 gallon drum to the gas station if that happens!

We are just barely over 4.00 i only know this cause my hubby gases up my van that is one nice thing since I got married I haven't had to gas up my van and come to think of it I never asked for it to be that way. wow I just realised I don't have anns. present for him I am actually doing a big bridal show the weekend of our anns. I better start thinking of something. lol

My DH has me pump the gas when he is in the car. Although I really dont mind unless it is freezing cold.
Gas is still 4.19 here. Hopefully it will go down(hopefully)

Kitchen Diva said:
You could buy a Lexus with that much money! :) LOL

Yeah, a Lexus would be nice, but I would really like new furniture:)! When I was making my DD's video for graduation I realized I've had the same furniture in my living room her entire life:eek:! I really need a change!!

BTW - I'm sorry your sick! I hope you feel better soon;)!

chefmeg said:
we are down to $3.89, which really ticks me off that I think that is good now!

Yeah - I got excited today when I found it for $4.11! Like that's some kind of deal or something.

And can someone - anyone - explain why it's $4.11 at one station, and down the street it is $4.23? Same brand too???

Best way to save on gas is to drive the speed limit and not like your in the Indy 500.

Did you know that over seas there gas prices are almost double (some places double)what ours are here in North America

Yes, I know gas is double. My daughter just got back from Germany. The difference is they don't live as rural as we do in America - well at least in the midwest. If I lived in a large city and used mass transit the gas prices wouldn't really make a big difference. It's just we live far from our jobs. If gas prices continue to be high, we will consider moving after our kids are out of school.

ChefBeckyD said:
Yeah - I got excited today when I found it for $4.11! Like that's some kind of deal or something.

And can someone - anyone - explain why it's $4.11 at one station, and down the street it is $4.23? Same brand too???

Becky, it could depend on when the stations got their load of fuel. I know several times when my inlaws ordered fuel, the place they got it from would even ask what time of day they got it; because it could change depending on if they got it in the morning or afternoon. Crazy!

If you want to find the lowest gas prices in your area, check out Gas Buddy.

1. Can we really make a difference in gas prices by not pumping on July 15th?

It is possible that a nationwide protest of not pumping gas on July 15th could have an impact on gas prices, as seen in a similar protest in 1997. However, the effectiveness of this strategy is debatable and may not result in significant or long-term change in gas prices.

2. How widespread is this movement?

This movement appears to have originated from an email chain and does not have a centralized organization or support. It is difficult to determine how many people are participating in this protest.

3. How much did gas prices drop during the 1997 "gas out" protest?

Gas prices dropped by 30 cents a gallon in one day during the 1997 "gas out" protest. However, it is unclear how much of this drop was directly attributed to the protest.

4. Will not pumping gas on July 15th actually cost the oil companies billions of dollars?

The estimated cost to the oil companies of a one-day nationwide protest of not pumping gas on July 15th is $2,292,000,000.00. However, it is important to note that this is only an estimate and the actual impact may be different.

5. Should I forward this email to everyone I know?

It is up to each individual to decide whether or not they want to participate in this protest and share the information with others. However, it is important to fact-check and consider the potential effectiveness and impact of such a protest before forwarding it to others.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PampMomof3
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
Replies
Views
Christ Follower
  • lacychef
  • General Chat
Replies