• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Use PowerPoint on My Older Macbook Without Installing Windows?

In summary, the current situation is that there is no Mac version of PP or P3, but tech development is working on a Mac version. PP and P3 are only available on Windows machines. PC is still an option, but may not be the best choice for someone who dislikes Windows.
ZippyKitty
I have an older Mac, ie pre intel macs. It is a macbook. I have absolutely no intention of installing windows on this, or any other machine I own. I am notoriously anti-windows. Which is fine, because usually Windows is notoriously anti-ZK.

However, I'd kind of like to use PP. Is there any hope? Should I just quit now, go back to my day job and write this off as a bad experiment?

ZK

Many people here have Macs and P3 - Ann or Colleen do for sure.

ETA: It MAY make a difference on the age of the Mac...hopefully they'll pop on later and answer you...

Last edited:
There should be an old thread about using P3 on Macs...

You will have to install Windows on your computer or use another computer. Right now the only other option is to mail in shows. It can be done and was done for years before we got PP and P3. I do know that tech development is working on a Mac version, but we do not have a release or even a beta testing date. You might want to offer your services as a beta tester when it comes available.

Thanks,
I've looked at all the mac threads. I'm not pleased and I'll have to think about what to do. DH has windows on his intel mac - but getting ahold of his computer is not a trivial exercise. (Read - down right impossible). He is an untenured professor in computational fluid dynamics. Which means he doesn't actually sleep with the computer - but every waking hour he is on it. That is why we have separate computers. I sleep considerably more than him at the moment (pregnant) so grabbing it while he is asleep isn't likely either. :) Which reminds me - I should be asleep now.I'm really disappointed. I've emailed my recruiter/director and I'll see what she suggests. ZK (still passionately anti-Windows - I use Mac's or Unix or Linux or... but not windows)

I understand your pain, but this is what is available at the moment. Just so you know, Carol Radu (a National Executive Director) is working with the tech people to get a Mac version. That won't help you now, but there are ways around it until it is available. Of course, the more support/suggestions that HO gets about getting a Mac version up and running, the faster it will be available. That being said, you could try getting a portable drive to use on hubby's computer for a temporary fix. My director (also a NED) has done over 800 shows and has never taken her laptop to a show. However, she does use it daily in her office. What I would do if I were you: look at why you started PC. Is that reason stronger than your dislike of using Windows temporarily? If so, do your 4 shows and bow out. If not, work with your recruiter, director, tech support and HO people to get your shows submitted and get a Mac version going.

It's not a perfect solution, and it was a bit of an investment, but I bought a minimally-equipped laptop from WalMart for $350 in early November (one of their "Freaky Friday" sales). I am glad I did...I also dislike Windows, but now I have a computer dedicated primarily to PC, and it makes a big difference when I can take it to shows. My guests LOVE that I can do the math for them, and the hosts LOVE-LOVE-LOVE that I can show them exactly where they stand as far as host rewards go. I struggled with the thought of buying a Windows-based computer, especially since I've been Mac crazy for over eight years, but at the end of the day, being able to place orders easily through P3 was SO worth it. Just my 2 cents...hope it helps somehow. :)

I'm with you, ZK - I only use Windoze when I absolutely have to. Unfortunately, with a non-Intel based Mac, you can't install Boot Camp or Parallels. That doesn't mean you should quit PC altogether.A majority of consultants do not take a laptop to shows - I know that your orders are a little more complicated in Canada because of the tax situation, but they aren't so hugely complex that you have to have a computer there. Just take a calculator and let customers know that you'll double-check the math at home when you have an extra couple of minutes to focus on it.Where it gets a little tricky is submitting shows. It is possible to never use a computer for your shows. You can also reserve 1 show a month as your "computer" show, and use the commission from that show toward a new computer, which is probably your best bet long-term. (The very nice gentleman I spoke to in the tech room at Leadership said that a Mac version of P3 was at least 2 years away.)

Thanks all,
It is submitting shows that I'm concerned about. I'm not too concerned about bringing my laptop to shows.

My husband may be losing his job in July and I am expecting in August. The Pampered Chef thing was a panic reaction to possibly needing more money. The job would allow me not to put 2 kids in daycare and it is portable if I move. But I have a good job, that I like even if I'm suffering motivation issues at the moment (probably due to hormones :) )

Getting a new computer was a bigger investment than I had in mind.

Ironically I may have picked up a show because of this. I was complaining about the problems my windows machine at work was having to other woman in my group. And I commented that the PC software required wondows. "Oh I love their stuff" .. well if you want something or want to host a show let me know. Definitely not into hosting a show. (a sentiment I understand and quite common in my circles). "Well the Feb host special is 60% of any two items. - Even if you have a catalogue show and if you love their stuff"... That she is thinking about.

ZK (Still thinking about the pc problem... 2 years is long wait) I will be calling tech support tonight

I don't know if it will work, but won't Virtual PC do the same for an older Mac?

Yes, Virtual PC will do the same, but (at least when I used it 5 years ago), it was a total dog. Things were very slow and it took a long time to get anything done. It was bad enough that it would have been faster to send in shows manually (OK, that's a slight exaggeration). And then there's the cost- Virtual PC is not cheap. And it's a Microsoft product. :yuck:

Chefann- It was just a thought! I used Virtual PC before, but now I have a newer Mac that I can run Windows. I can't wait for a Mac version to come out. I hate having to use Windows myself!

Mary Anne, I'm sorry if my last post read as if I wasn't agreeing with you. I do agree that VPC is an option, I just wanted to warn that it historically has been very slow (although supposedly that has improved in the last few years).Mac users unite! <giggle>

Chefann, Not a problem! I have done my reading and I understand that you too are an avid Mac Addict! I love my Mac! I was just throwing Virtual PC out there as an option.

Oh my! I see your problem ZippyKitty. You own a MAC! :D :D

vtodd71,
I thought I was coming into the fold by getting a Mac. Before that I used Linux for my home computer. ZK

ZK,DH says, "There's your problem! Your husband has the newer computer. That's backwards!" <giggle>

I'm a Mac user myself - my husband converted my entire family!
ChefAnn, all of us Mac users should definitely get together some sort of rebellion to tech support ;) bog them down with phone calls, letters, e-mails, etc? :) Maybe just a good old-fashioned petition. I use VMWareFusion since Parallels doesn't work with the new OS - it's a little faster, but I only use it for PP+. I have a possible recruit lead and her barrier is that she is a Mac user and can't afford Parallels, etc. :(

frozenchef said:
ChefAnn, all of us Mac users should definitely get together some sort of rebellion to tech support ;) bog them down with phone calls, letters, e-mails, etc? :)

Ann and I visited the tech room at Leadership a few times... each time we walked in the one said, "Here come the mac girls!"

I did ask again on Monday when I was talking with tech support and the guy said that the mac version is definitely going to happen BUT it's a long way off. They are using their energies to get P3 perfect without any bugs before they write the mac version. It's counter productive for them to have two versions of the same program that have bugs that need to be worked out. I get that... I was bummed though when he said it would be 2 years before the mac version comes out. But who knows... maybe they will get P3 perfected before then and move onto the mac version sooner!

Chef Ann-2 years away!?!? :cry: I love my mac but loathe having to wait for parallels to open up just to get into P3 to get contact information or to check on a show.All Mac Lovers, let's unite! If we pester, err, uh gently remind HO of this serious need often enough do you think it could speed up the process? :grumpy:

Last edited:
Just an update,
We just tried to install Virtual PC on this machine. It installs fine - but apparently there is something broken with the internet connection in the Tiger version and later. So..... We are going to install PP on his computer - he has Parallels and once in a while (like after shows) I am going to get on and do PC stuff. We will do this for as long as he can tolerate it. Then he thinks I will get his machine and he will buy a new one. He is mistaken :) I think Ann's husband is right :) ZK

OK - I am a new consultant and an Avid Mac user.

Luckily my DH is a genius - he has set me up to use an older PC machine (somwhere in the basement) remotely through my iMac (not intel) - I use a software called Chicken of the VNC - and I have the Windows desktop on my screen - works great!!

He is a Genius!!

DH uses Chicken of the VNC to run one Mac from another. But I never thought to use it for P3.
You're lucky you had the old PC in the basement! :)

I almost gave up on PC when I found out the P3 only would work with macs. I think the thing that made me most angry was the way everyone was kinda like oh well you figure it out- from my recruiter to HO to the tech guys I called. There should be some kind of disclaimer before you sign up.

It does stink, but with so much of the computer market running Windows, I understand why HO focuses on that version of P3. And I think the other justification is that P3 isn't necessary for a PC business. It's nice, and it really helps, but it is possible to run a PC business without it, using only paper.

1. Can I use Pampered Chef software on my Mac computer?

Yes, Pampered Chef's software is compatible with Mac computers. You can download and install the software from our website.

2. How do I install Pampered Chef software on my Mac?

To install Pampered Chef software on your Mac, simply visit our website and click on the "Download" button. Once the download is complete, double click on the downloaded file and follow the installation instructions.

3. Can I access my Pampered Chef account on my Mac?

Yes, you can access your Pampered Chef account on your Mac by visiting our website and logging in with your account credentials. Alternatively, you can also download the Pampered Chef app from the App Store for easy access.

4. How do I troubleshoot any issues with Pampered Chef software on my Mac?

If you encounter any issues with our software on your Mac, we recommend checking for any updates and making sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements. If the problem persists, please reach out to our customer support team for further assistance.

5. Is there a mobile version of Pampered Chef software for Mac?

Unfortunately, there is currently no mobile version of Pampered Chef software for Mac. However, you can access your account and use the software on your Mac's internet browser or through the Pampered Chef app.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mandydollie
  • Buy Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
chefkristin
  • twinmomjen
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
sarahmarie
  • crystalscookingnow