• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Survive Crossing the Mackinac Bridge with My Girl Scouts?

In summary, the Girl Scouts are going to Mackinac Island in 2 months and I am scared of bridges. PC Chris suggests singing to take his mind off the bridge.
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Actually...

Milwaukee to St. Ignace via Escanaba.......365 miles
Mackinaw City to Milwaukee via Marge's.....513 miles

Total Trip: 878 miles

And no bridge on the return trip!:D

Hmmm...maybe we'll have to take the long way home. I'll have to check with the other adults to see what they want to do. I'm sure they'll want to go home back over the bridge....grrr!

Although, I don't know, as one of the other adults is afraid of bridges too...maybe we can use our "majority rules" troop rule!! LOL!!!

ChefBeckyD said:
Yep - but it was a fundraiser I did for a dear friend w/ Breast Cancer - I personally headed it up, and worked on it - and it was the only thing I did that month. It was a labor of love.

Good for you! I'd be so proud to do something like that!!! :)

pcchris said:
Hmmm...maybe we'll have to take the long way home. I'll have to check with the other adults to see what they want to do. I'm sure they'll want to go home back over the bridge....grrr!

Although, I don't know, as one of the other adults is afraid of bridges too...maybe we can use our "majority rules" troop rule!! LOL!!!
I'm much rather drive across not-quite-five-miles of scary bridge than have to drive though Chicago.

True, but I know I wouldn't have a panic attack going through Chicago! (Unless of course we had to cross the skyway.)

The Skyway cuts several miles and several minutes off the trip - for the same toll as the Might Mac! Not to mention the 65¢ that you'll have to pay the Indiana Toll Road to get to the Skyway.BTW, I drive the Skyway quite often.

Chris, I have the bridge database for the state of Wisconsin. The data are really complicated and difficult to interpret, but the state of bridges ( so to speak) here isn't quite as dire as some of the talking heads want you to think.Remember that "structurally deficient" and "functionally obsolete" mean different things. Also remember that "structurally deficient" does not mean imminent danger of falling down. "Functionally obsolete" just means a bridge is extant that does not meet modern standards and does not mean unsafe. Since the collapse of the Silver bridge between Point Pleasant, WV and Gallipolis, Ohio in 1967, a national bridge inspection program has been in place. Any bridge longer than 20 feet is inspected on a periodic basis, usually 2 years. Bridges are rated on a scale of 0-9 where 9, 8, and 7 mean no problems at all, 5 is good, 4 is poor, 3 is serious, 2 is critical and 1 means imminent failure. 0 means failure. "Structurally deficient" is applied to any bridge with a ranking of 4 or below and can mean any one of several things, and not usually meaning that the bridge is hazardous, but needs attention before it becomes hazardous. Most "structurally deficient" ratings usually mean that there is spalling (cracks or chips in the deck surface) scour (loss of sediment on the riverbed, potentially causing weakness in a pier or footing) or obvious cracks in the superstructure. All can be fixed.Calls for immediate inspections of bridges is silly. Until we know what caused the failure of the 35W bridge, no inspector really knows what to be looking for.There are several thousand bridges in the database and finding one to look at is a challenge, but if there is a Wisconsin bridge that makes you nervous, tell me what it is and I'll try to locate the NBI data for it.

Last edited:
This report about Wisconsin Bridges came out today. I thought you might like to see it. It still annoys me that the MSM throws the terms "structurally deficient" and "functionally obsolete" without knowing, or explianing, what either of them means."Structurally deficient" does not necessarily mean hazardous. "Functionally Obsolete" is not interchangeable with "structurally deficient" and does not mean unsafe. "Obsolete" is not even a qualified term for this discussion, but we're dealing with the MSM here, which daily prove they don't know what they're talking about.I find it sadly ironic that we're spending money to inspect deck truss bridges in Wisconsin when the failure analysis isn't done. We don't know what we're looking for!
Reports: 15 Percent of State Bridges ObsoleteMore than 15 percent of Wisconsin's 13,770 bridges are structurally deficient or functionally obsolete, but the state has the fourth-lowest rate of problem bridges in the nation, according to the Federal Highway Administration.
Friday, August 3, 2007
More than 15 percent of Wisconsin's 13,770 bridges are structurally deficient or functionally obsolete, but the state has the fourth-lowest rate of problem bridges in the nation, according to the Federal Highway Administration.
Wisconsin is listed as having 1,335 bridges rated as structurally deficient, meaning they are deteriorating and limited to lighter vehicles, with 792 deemed functionally obsolete, which means they are older structures that are narrow, have low clearances or do not meet current design criteria.One of the three states listed as having a lower rate of problem bridges is Minnesota, where the fatal bridge collapse took place Wednesday, at 12 percent, while the others are Nevada at 12 percent and Arizona at 10 percent.Listed worst in terms of the percentage of structurally deficient and functionally obsolete bridges are Washington, D.C., at 64 percent, Rhode Island 56 percent and Massachusetts 52 percent."We are doing very well compared to the nation," said Finn Hubbard, the state bridge engineer. "I'm very happy with where we are right now."But Wisconsin has experienced problems in the past. Steel girders under the Hoan Bridge on I-794 at Milwaukee cracked in December 2000 and caused the northbound lanes to drop several feet.Hubbard said the Minneapolis bridge likely had different problems than the Hoan because they have different superstructures.Federal officials alerted states Thursday to immediately inspect all bridges similar to the Minneapolis bridge, including 16 in Wisconsin.Chris Klein, a top aide to Wisconsin Transportation Secretary Frank Busalacchi, said the state Transportation Department had started reviewing data on all bridges in the state.The agency will comply with the federal request, Klein said, but inspectors will not know what to look for until officials identify the cause of the Minneapolis bridge collapse.Hubbard said Friday the inspections of those bridges are expected to start by Monday. He said they would be reinspected again after word is received on the cause of the Minneapolis bridge collapse.Michael Oliva, a University of Wisconsin-Madison associate professor of civil and environmental engineering, said poorly rated bridges were not likely in danger of having major problems, especially since many of them see low traffic volumes."You really shouldn't worry about a collapse like in Minneapolis," he said.State Rep. Jeff Stone, R-Greendale, said the Minneapolis disaster shows Wisconsin must stay on top of inspections."You have to do the maintenance before you have a problem, so we have to keep up the vigilance," said Stone, a member of the Legislature's Joint Finance Committee.

Chris,Just wanted to share yo aren't alone on the fear of bridges..I freak with a passion and I live on the gulf coast where there is a bridge on every road..you should see me on trips to Biloxi or New Orleans...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
There are several thousand bridges in the database and finding one to look at is a challenge, but if there is a Wisconsin bridge that makes you nervous, tell me what it is and I'll try to locate the NBI data for it.

Thank you, KG. If I can think of any WISCONSIN bridges that freak me out, I'll let you know...it's that dang Mighty Mac that's giving me the shivers!!

(But it's nice to know you care!! ;) )

mheat923 said:
Chris,

Just wanted to share yo aren't alone on the fear of bridges..I freak with a passion and I live on the gulf coast where there is a bridge on every road..you should see me on trips to Biloxi or New Orleans...

Note to self....don't go to Biloxi or New Orleans! :eek:

Thanks for the info and support!!

You all have NO idea how much you are helping me with this!!

Thank you!

Chris, I'm watching Wayne Dyer on PBS right now...and I thought of you when he said, "If you fear something, become curious about it." Now, you know from the early messages in this thread that I [was] nervous about bridges, too, but in the last month or so (partially inspired by you, I might add) I've done a lot of studying and reading about bridges, and the more I read and learn, the more I understand and the less I feel nervous about bridges.If you want to turn your fear into curiosity, you can start by reading http://jrmanning.com/. In the past month, I've been crawling all over bridges to photograph them so they can be added to the Bridge Hunter website. Take a look at it and see the couple of bridges I've posted and all the other ones that are there.One of the Wayne Dyer quotes I've always liked is, "If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."It's all up to you!

pcchris said:
Note to self....don't go to Biloxi or New Orleans! :

OH>>>> We went to Both this summer on a hurricane relief project and all those bridges about KILLED me! We had to dodge a semi truck last year going into New Orleans and I was in tears and shaking. I just don't do bridges well.

That drive across Lake Pontchartrain will either cure you or put you in the loony bin forever!

before they paved over temp grating across the lake..the grating would bounce up and down under you as you went across....that does not sound or feel safe. I take a xanax before crossing the bridges and then close my eyes and curl p in near fetal position in the seat...and yes my husband is driving...lol The draw bridges bother me more.....

You're not alone - steel decking gives a lot of people the willies.

Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe is on in about 20 minutes...he's working with the bridge painters on the mighty mac tonight. I'll see if I can manage to watch the whole thing. <HEAVY sigh...>

Less than 2 weeks....egads!

Well...

That sure didn't help. I guess I wasn't really aware of how long that bridge is until I just watched that show.

At least I know for sure it's maintained well.

I also didn't know that the road platform is not attached to the towers at all...I don't know if that's normal for a suspension bridge, but it sure didn't make me feel any better.

I know, I know...I can do this.....I'll be telling myself that from now until the day I get there.

And if not, someone's gonna have to drive me across!! Nice to have that option!

pcchris said:
Well...That sure didn't help. I guess I wasn't really aware of how long that bridge is until I just watched that show.
It is NOT 5 miles long.It's 28 feet short of 5 miles.ETA: The main span, the part that is suspended from cables, is only 8,614 Ft long, a little more than a mile and a half.
pcchris said:
At least I know for sure it's maintained well.
Was there ever a doubt?
pcchris said:
I also didn't know that the road platform is not attached to the towers at all...I don't know if that's normal for a suspension bridge, but it sure didn't make me feel any better.
Um, that's why it's called a suspension bridge, because it's suspended from the towers by those giant cables that are made up of many little cables that are made up of many little wires. Redundant redundancies. The deck actually swings when the winds are strong, which is a big reason that suspension bridges are the best choice for long spans over open water like the Straits of Mackinac, the Golden Gate or San Francisco Bay.
pcchris said:
I know, I know...I can do this.....I'll be telling myself that from now until the day I get there. And if not, someone's gonna have to drive me across!! Nice to have that option!
Yes, you can!

Last edited:
Check this out:
mac-cable.jpg
"This year's maintenance program includes opening two sections of the main cable to inspect the cable wires. The cable is in great condition."

Last edited:
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Check this out:

mac-cable.jpg

"This year's maintenance program includes opening two sections of the main cable to inspect the cable wires. The cable is in great condition."

It makes me queasy just to look at that picture! It amazes me how those men work like that!

While driving across the bridge, DH is always twisting his neck all over the place to see where the guys are working on the bridge......that is, until I reach up from my seat on the floor of the passenger side and smack him and tell him to keep his eyes on the road in front of him.:D

ChefBeckyD said:
It makes me queasy just to look at that picture! It amazes me how those men work like that!

While driving across the bridge, DH is always twisting his neck all over the place to see where the guys are working on the bridge......that is, until I reach up from my seat on the floor of the passenger side and smack him and tell him to keep his eyes on the road in front of him.:D
ROFL! You remind me of the old song....

Keep your mind on your driving
Keep your hands on the wheel
Keep your eyes on the road up ahead.
We're having fun,
Sittin' in the back seat
Kissin' and a huggin' with Fred!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Check this out:

mac-cable.jpg

Do ya think they would say they weren't?? (probably!)

Those guys must have nerves made from the same steel as those cables!:yuck:

I wonder what it sounds like with each blow of the hammer on the wedge.The sound of the laser rifles and blasters in Star Wars was made by banging on the guy wires of a transmission tower.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Aw, $#17! That bridge is even younger than I am.

Actually, I remember when it opened. We lived in Jennison (when Becky's house was a cornfield behind our house) and the Spartan store in Grandville had a model of the bridge built in the produce aisle.

No way? KG - you used to live in Jenison? I grew up there, and still visit my parents there almost daily.

Small world.

:: hijack over ::

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I wonder what it sounds like with each blow of the hammer on the wedge.

The sound of the laser rifles and blasters in Star Wars was made by banging on the guy wires of a transmission tower.
They used a pretty big wrench to bang on those cables to get the sound.

Another interesting sound tidbit? The sound of the pod racers in SW:Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace (yes, that's the official title) was made by running electric shavers inside SS bowls.

This has been another useless fact from the brain if Ann. :)

Circumventing the BridgeHey!

I cross Mighty Mac about 7 times a year. I have no fear of bridges. I do, however, have a fear of eating spiders in my sleep. Not helpful, I know, but....

Why don't you send someone across the bridge with your car and kiddies, and you take the ferry from St. Ignace to Mackinac Island, then catch a ferry from the island to Mackinac City? You can reverse that on the way home, and get a break from the kids :thumbup: It will cost you an extra $40 or so, but may be worth it.

Seriously, though, I have a Girl Scout troop, and we went to a rock climbing club earlier in the year. I'm actually afraid of heights like climbing rocks (but not tall buildings or the Eiffel Tower strangely enough, and I love the window seats on airplanes..I think I'm just afraid when it's me trying to hold me in the air). Most of my girls had never been climbing, and at least two of them are deathly afraid of trying new things outside their comfort zone. Knowing that I'm supposed to be teaching girls that they can do anything, and empowering them to be future she-ra's, I knew I had to set the example. So, despite many conversations in my head that went something like, "What in the holy h*!! do you think you're doing?" I climbed that wall. I shook. I sweated. But I did it. And better yet, my girls knew that I was afraid and did it anyway. They were proud of me. I was proud of myself. And I actually like the adrenaline rush that came from doing something I was scared of.

I'm going to try bear wrestling and BASE jumping next. :D

Bare wrestling and jumping?Sounds pretty scary to me.

Jean DeVries said:
No way? KG - you used to live in Jenison? I grew up there, and still visit my parents there almost daily.

Small world.

:: hijack over ::
Baldwin Drive, top of the hill, south side of the road, across from the Van Belkum (spelling?) farm.

chefann said:
They used a pretty big wrench to bang on those cables to get the sound.

Another interesting sound tidbit? The sound of the pod racers in SW:Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace (yes, that's the official title) was made by running electric shavers inside SS bowls.

This has been another useless fact from the brain if Ann. :)
And my friends think that I'M a walking compendium of useless information.

I think we can share that title, KG.But the SW facts are because of DH. He's such a SW geek. I did get that book for him - the one we saw at Border's. I think it's the first book he's actually READ cover to cover in about 10 years.

You'd think he'd be a Harry Potter geek, too.

Nope - he hates HP. Or professes to. If one of the movies is on TV as we're flipping though channels, he'll ask about it. And of course, he thinks the Simpson's parodies of HP are hilarious (there have been several, one with a Dumbledore-like character named Greystache, which is now how DH refers to Dumbledore).

Back to our regularly scheduled whine fest about bridges...
(sorry to interrupt your hijack Ann and KG...giggle snort)

I talked to our other mom who's driving, also scared of bridges, tonight. She said that she hates bridges too, but when SHE'S driving, its not as bad as being a passenger.

Then, I told her how long the bridge is (28 ft short of 5 miles, thanks kg), she said "WHAT??!? Are you serious?"

Yep. I'm serious.

I'm fearing it worse than she is though. Only like 10 days to psych myself up.
I can do this.

It'll be cool.......right? I am taking girls with me in my car that have no fear of bridges. That's already been determined.

You know, I was just thinking that when I get home from Mackinac, I'll look back at this thread and laugh. What a wuss I must sound like!! LOL!!!

AAAAAHHHHHHHH! Less than 20 hours till I have to go over the Mighty Mac!

I've the mindset at this time that it'll be a piece of cake. (That might change when we get there!)

So, unless I'm on later tonight, I'll be back Wednesday night, God Willing!

Don't talk about me too much while I"m gone...lol!!!

You can do it Chris. Let us know how it goes. Just get the girls to keep you distracted while you are getting close to the bridge.

Well, my friends, I am home...alive! Yes, I DID IT! I DROVE OVER THAT BRIDGE TWICE!!!!!! Woo Hoo!!

I do not feel like a wuss...I was scared almost to death! I think I have finger marks embedded in my steering wheel, but I got across the Mighty Mac!

It is a beautiful bridge...stunning, actually...and SO cool at night. I have several pictures, and probably will get them posted here if I can remember how to do that!

I had to drive on the steel grates to pass a camper (dang high wind warnings!) I was not about to get stuck behind him going 20 mph...and my girls were not real happy with me. (I wasn't real excited about it either!)

Just had to let you all know that I actually drove the bridge...thanks to all of you for your support...I was thinking about all of YOU when I was going across it...believe that?!?!?!

btw...Mackinac Island is a really neat place. But if I ever go up there again, I'm staying in St. Ignace and taking the ferry to the island! LOL!!!

pcchris said:
Well, my friends, I am home...alive! Yes, I DID IT! I DROVE OVER THAT BRIDGE TWICE!!!!!! Woo Hoo!!

I do not feel like a wuss...I was scared almost to death! I think I have finger marks embedded in my steering wheel, but I got across the Mighty Mac!

It is a beautiful bridge...stunning, actually...and SO cool at night. I have several pictures, and probably will get them posted here if I can remember how to do that!

I had to drive on the steel grates to pass a camper (dang high wind warnings!) I was not about to get stuck behind him going 20 mph...and my girls were not real happy with me. (I wasn't real excited about it either!)

Just had to let you all know that I actually drove the bridge...thanks to all of you for your support...I was thinking about all of YOU when I was going across it...believe that?!?!?!

btw...Mackinac Island is a really neat place. But if I ever go up there again, I'm staying in St. Ignace and taking the ferry to the island! LOL!!!

YEA CHRIS!!!!!

I love the Mighty Mac at night! And when there is a really beautiful sunset - it is breathtaking!

Mackinaw Island is one of my favorite places. We go there every summer, and take our bikes and just ride our little hearts out!

Congrats Chris!

I crossed that bridge twice also last weekend, and thought about you the entire time!

Your girls I'm sure were so proud of you!

I'm so excited for you!!! Congrats on overcoming your fear (at least for as long as it took you to drive over the bridge)! Whether or not they realize it, you set a GREAT example for the girls and we are all so proud of you! Way to go!!!!!

I just got off the ferry in Manitowoc - I wasn't sure whether I should be looking for you or not!Way to go!

Yeah Chris!

And you passed a car!?! :eek: Wow. I'm impressed.

Hope you enjoyed your trip. Each year we spend a long weekend in September on the island. We won't be going this year. . .I already miss being there. :(

Way to go, Chris! I thought of you yesterday - wondered if you had been OK crossing. Next time it won't seem so bad!

Congratulations, Chris! You did it! Wahooooooo!

P.S. I think we all knew you could!!

Congrats Chris, way to go. What a great role model you make - showing that even when terrified of something you can go forward and push your limits.

Thanks, everyone!

I had several of my girls say to me "I'm so proud of you" when we got to the hotel. That really meant a lot to me.

My daughter and the other girls in my car were pretty nervous when we had to go onto the grating part of it...

It was scary as heck...and I have to say that I really don't want to EVER go over that one again!!!

btw - I saw several Bridge Authority workers...sitting in a parking lot eating donuts and drinking coffee! I was thinking, like, don't you guys have a bridge to maintain??? LOL!!!

chefann said:
Way to go, Chris! I thought of you yesterday - wondered if you had been OK crossing. Next time it won't seem so bad!

Next time? Somehow I don't think there will be a next time for Chris!

Congratulations!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I thought of you the other day when I went over our local bridge. I did get a mili-second to glance off each side...the views are so wonderful.
I have never been to Macinack Island, but it sounds like it would be a place worth looking into!

katie0128 said:
Next time? Somehow I don't think there will be a next time for Chris!
Katie, I do believe that you are correct!!

baychef said:
Congratulations!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I thought of you the other day when I went over our local bridge. I did get a mili-second to glance off each side...the views are so wonderful.
I have never been to Macinack Island, but it sounds like it would be a place worth looking into!

The island is so cool....such history there! We had lunch at the Grand Hotel...it was amazing! The hotel itself is kind of "gaudy" if you ask me, but it is a beautiful place!!

I might go again, but I'll be taking the ferry from St. Ignace. That way I don't have to cross the bridge, I can just look at it. I would recommend the island though. It was awesome. The girls really thought it was neat, too!

<h2>1. How long is the Mackinac Bridge?</h2><p>The Mackinac Bridge is 26,372 feet long, making it one of the longest suspension bridges in the world.</p><h2>2. Is it safe to cross the Mackinac Bridge with a carload of Girl Scouts?</h2><p>Yes, it is completely safe to cross the Mackinac Bridge with a carload of Girl Scouts. The bridge is regularly inspected and maintained to ensure its safety for all vehicles.</p><h2>3. Are there any special precautions or procedures for crossing the Mackinac Bridge?</h2><p>Yes, there are a few precautions and procedures to follow when crossing the Mackinac Bridge. All vehicles must maintain a speed of at least 20 mph and no more than 45 mph. Also, be sure to turn off your radio and refrain from talking on your cell phone while crossing the bridge.</p><h2>4. Can I stop on the Mackinac Bridge to take pictures?</h2><p>No, stopping on the Mackinac Bridge is strictly prohibited for safety reasons. However, there are several designated scenic overlooks on both sides of the bridge where you can safely take pictures.</p><h2>5. What can I do to calm my fear of bridges while crossing the Mackinac Bridge?</h2><p>First, remember that the Mackinac Bridge is regularly inspected and maintained for safety. Second, try to focus on the beautiful scenery and distract yourself with music or conversation with your Girl Scouts. You can also try deep breathing exercises or listening to a calming meditation app to help ease your fear.</p>

Related to Can I Survive Crossing the Mackinac Bridge with My Girl Scouts?

1. How long is the Mackinac Bridge?

The Mackinac Bridge is 26,372 feet long, making it one of the longest suspension bridges in the world.

2. Is it safe to cross the Mackinac Bridge with a carload of Girl Scouts?

Yes, it is completely safe to cross the Mackinac Bridge with a carload of Girl Scouts. The bridge is regularly inspected and maintained to ensure its safety for all vehicles.

3. Are there any special precautions or procedures for crossing the Mackinac Bridge?

Yes, there are a few precautions and procedures to follow when crossing the Mackinac Bridge. All vehicles must maintain a speed of at least 20 mph and no more than 45 mph. Also, be sure to turn off your radio and refrain from talking on your cell phone while crossing the bridge.

4. Can I stop on the Mackinac Bridge to take pictures?

No, stopping on the Mackinac Bridge is strictly prohibited for safety reasons. However, there are several designated scenic overlooks on both sides of the bridge where you can safely take pictures.

5. What can I do to calm my fear of bridges while crossing the Mackinac Bridge?

First, remember that the Mackinac Bridge is regularly inspected and maintained for safety. Second, try to focus on the beautiful scenery and distract yourself with music or conversation with your Girl Scouts. You can also try deep breathing exercises or listening to a calming meditation app to help ease your fear.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookingwithlove
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • pchefkristin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pchefkristin
  • chefmoseley