• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Survive Crossing the Mackinac Bridge with My Girl Scouts?

In summary, the Girl Scouts are going to Mackinac Island in 2 months and I am scared of bridges. PC Chris suggests singing to take his mind off the bridge.
Which bridge are you talking about? There are a couple in Alabama and in Mississippi that I wouldn't go across, either!Check out the Bridgehunter site. It may be on there!

I would strongly advise to work through this fear and practice on some bridges in your local area.
Realize that it's just a bridge.

Take some low dose dramamine and any worry of motion sickness will be gone,with no drowsiness. I don't believe that you'd even feel the bridge if it's windy. You may feel your car move as you would on any road if it's windy, but I can't picture the bridge swinging so much you'll feel it. With dramamine you won't even notice if it does.

Work through it before you go and then it should be easier. Either directly yourself in your area or see a counselor to talk you through it.

Once you're on it, you'll wonder why you made such a big deal about it. You'll feel empowered that you conquered one of your fears.
Trust us nothing is going to happen to you over this bridge and you'll be fine.
Mind over matter.

pcchris said:
Yup, that movie was filmed at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island...we're going to the hotel for lunch. :)

Regular bridges don't really bother me....just suspension bridges with the towers and cables and stuff scare the bejeebies out of me! The Mackinac bridge is like 5 MILES long....although the whole 5 miles is not the cable/tower part. ICK! :eek:

The link you provided looks like it will have an awesome view. Focus on that and the girls will distract you.....

Mr. KG - would you like to come with us? That way you can drive across the bridge, and I can hide...just a thought!! LOL!!! Wouldn't you just LOVE driving a car full of 13 yr olds across the bridge?!?!?

WAIT! It gets better....most of the girls in our troop are afraid of bridges too!
Wahoo...this should be a blast!!! :)

Put the girls that afraid of bridges in the other car!

Good thought...I'll have to think about that arrangement!!! But I still think KG should come up with us and drive my car across for me....

pcchris said:
How's that saying go..."I got a bridge I can sell ya"!! LOL!!!

At least I could say I conquered a bridge!

Put the bridge in your back yard and you can practice driving across it...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Waaaaaay over on the east end, crossing into West Virginia.

Oh good. I don't think I have every gone into WVa from Ohio... definitely not going to start now.

Ok on second thought, perhaps your fear of bridges is legit..... breaking news out of Minneapolis that a bridge collapsed, Interstate 35 westbound over the Mississippi river.....

Again rare, but still possible.

Chris I thought of you the second I heard this!

Countrykitchenmichelle said:
Ok on second thought, perhaps your fear of bridges is legit..... breaking news out of Minneapolis that a bridge collapsed, Interstate 35 westbound over the Mississippi river.....

Again rare, but still possible.

Exactly why I hate bridges! I bet they said this one was completely safe too!:(

Remember...out of the THOUSANDS of bridges in the United States - how many collapses have you heard of in the last 25 years?I know of an antique 4 ton weight limit bridge that was collapsed by a moron driving a 30 ton semi across it, but the bridge did not collapse until the moron backed his trailer on to the bridge AFTER he successfully crossed it.Do you give up flying after you hear of a plane crash? Of course not, so don't quit driving on bridges because of this accident.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Remember...out of the THOUSANDS of bridges in the United States - how many collapses have you heard of in the last 25 years?

I know of an antique 4 ton weight limit bridge that was collapsed by a moron driving a 30 ton semi across it, but the bridge did not collapse until the moron backed his trailer on to the bridge AFTER he successfully crossed it.

Do you give up flying after you hear of a plane crash? Of course not, so don't quit driving on bridges because of this accident.

Ummm, yeah, I don't fly much either!;)

Actually, neither do I, but mostly because A) I have little need to fly and B) the a$$hole$ who flew those planes into the WTC have messed up security to the point that flying is a real PITA.But I do drive across bridges ALL THE TIME.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Remember...out of the THOUSANDS of bridges in the United States - how many collapses have you heard of in the last 25 years?

I know of an antique 4 ton weight limit bridge that was collapsed by a moron driving a 30 ton semi across it, but the bridge did not collapse until the moron backed his trailer on to the bridge AFTER he successfully crossed it.

Do you give up flying after you hear of a plane crash? Of course not, so don't quit driving on bridges because of this accident.

You are so right.
Chris you will be just fine.

This particular bridge was having construction work. So I'm sure the one she plans to travel will be fine.
We have thousands of bridges in the US and this is a rare event.

Countrykitchenmichelle said:
This particular bridge was having construction work. So I'm sure the one she plans to travel will be fine.
We have thousands of bridges in the US and this is a rare event.

The "construction" work was just to fill potholes etc....nothing to do with the infrastructure of the bridge.

The bridge she will be traveling on (The Mackinaw...or is it Mackinac - I forget which spelling they use for the bridge.:rolleyes: ) is ALWAYS having Construction Work - I go over it several times each year (hate it every time!) and I have never been over it when there wasn't some kind of maintenance being done.

I will say though that after seeing the pictures of the bridge that collapsed, and knowing the Mackinaw Bridge well - The "Big Mac" is a much sturdier looking bridge.......

Big Mac just celebrated its birthday!

chefann said:
Big Mac just celebrated its birthday!

50 Years last week!
DH is fascinated with the Big Mac......we have a video of how it was built. There is a Pizza Place downtown Mackinaw City called "Mama Rosa's" - they had an incredible Mackinaw Bridge Museum above the restaurant. Last year, the restaurant burned to the ground, and everything in the museum was lost. So sad. We were there in June - the Restaurant is back in business, and they have been getting donations and loans of memorabilia and were hoping to have the museum re-opened in time for the big Birthday Celebration this past week.

AJPratt said:
I apologize now, because I know this isn't going to help:

Can I tell you that I used to have this reoccuring dream (maybe 10 years ago) of going up a really steep bridge and then the car had a problem and we started to roll backwards and lost control and wound up in the water. I avoided bridges for a long time, and finally, I stopped having the dream, and I would just deal with the bridge.

Well, 2 years ago, we went to Thousand Islands with my in laws. FIL wanted to show us this really great bridge. We paid the toll and got close to it. I took one look--OMG, the bridge from my dreams. I freaked out, I mean fr-eaked out--in front of everyone--5 other people, I became uncontrollably hysterical, and I very much like to remain in control of myself at all times. My FIL pulled over and said that we didn't have to go over it, he turned around. My DH thought I was nuts. About a week or so later, there was an accident on that bridge.
Was it the bridge in Alexandria Bay?http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/baychef_album/TIbridge1.jpg
This is the start of the American side and then it goes into the Canadian side
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/baychef_album/aerialshotTIbridge2.jpg
Or was it the Ogdensburg Bridge?
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/baychef_album/Oburgbridge.jpg This one is the kind I hate too...the steel grates.
The reason I ask is because I live about 5 miles from the A'Bay (Thousand Islands)bridge. My DB in fact works on one of the islands just over the bridge. I have walked over it and it really is a scarey but fun thing to do. You can feel the bridge sway especially when the tractor trailers go over it.
Actually, the views off from this bridge are breath taking...in a good way!
Obviously, I do not fear bridges. Of course my mind goes into the "what if" mode...but every year there are men that hang from a scaffold and paint different parts of it and I think that they would notice if something were out of place! I bet they have life insurance!!!

I thought of an annoying song for you Chris...99 bottles of soda on the wall (beer would not be appropriate for young children!)

Can all of you earn badges for bravery?!?! Good luck and I KNOW you will all be fine but I can't imagine your fear. My secretary is a brave woman...but bridges scare the crap out of her.

Last edited:
Cindycooks said:
Chris I thought of you the second I heard this!

So did I!!

ChefBeckyD said:
50 Years last week!
DH is fascinated with the Big Mac......we have a video of how it was built. There is a Pizza Place downtown Mackinaw City called "Mama Rosa's" - they had an incredible Mackinaw Bridge Museum above the restaurant. Last year, the restaurant burned to the ground, and everything in the museum was lost. So sad. We were there in June - the Restaurant is back in business, and they have been getting donations and loans of memorabilia and were hoping to have the museum re-opened in time for the big Birthday Celebration this past week.
Aw, $#17! That bridge is even younger than I am.Actually, I remember when it opened. We lived in Jennison (when Becky's house was a cornfield behind our house) and the Spartan store in Grandville had a model of the bridge built in the produce aisle.

Last edited:
Hi all!

Okay, so my ds and I were out for a pizza tonight, and he said "Mom, a bridge collapsed tonight." SAY WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? Then we got home, of course my first thought was to come on here and see what everyone had to say, to see if this thread was revived, but I instead turned on CNN to see what happened. So, as I have been freaking out all night, I only now have had time to come on here to read what you all have posted. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your concern. (makes me feel special!) So, THANK YOU all for thinking of me! I'm still freaking out, and REALLY nervous about my trip in 2 weeks and a couple of days. We're in the middle of our Day Camp week, and it's been atrociously hot here this week, so I haven't really had much time to think about the Mighty Mac. Boy, talk about a wake up call!

So, in closing, I just want to say that if you hear of the Mighty Mac collapsing on the 20th or the 22nd of this month, know that my worst nightmare has come true, and that I love you all!!

Had to get my peace out there.

(Nothing's gonna happen...but you never know!)

pcchris said:
Hi all!

Okay, so my ds and I were out for a pizza tonight, and he said "Mom, a bridge collapsed tonight." SAY WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? Then we got home, of course my first thought was to come on here and see what everyone had to say, to see if this thread was revived, but I instead turned on CNN to see what happened. So, as I have been freaking out all night, I only now have had time to come on here to read what you all have posted. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your concern. (makes me feel special!) So, THANK YOU all for thinking of me! I'm still freaking out, and REALLY nervous about my trip in 2 weeks and a couple of days. We're in the middle of our Day Camp week, and it's been atrociously hot here this week, so I haven't really had much time to think about the Mighty Mac. Boy, talk about a wake up call!

So, in closing, I just want to say that if you hear of the Mighty Mac collapsing on the 20th or the 22nd of this month, know that my worst nightmare has come true, and that I love you all!!

Had to get my peace out there.

(Nothing's gonna happen...but you never know!)

Awww Chris - you can do it! Just don't drive a Yugo....those have been known to jump the bridge!;) :p

You know, we were avoiding that story for rather obvious reasons. Maybe you should pull that before Chris sees it?

Okay, am I missing something? What story?? Now I'm curious...

Alright, blame Becky for this.Two vehicles have gone over the rail in the 50 year history of the bridge.Leslie Anne Pluhar died in 1989 when her 1987 Yugo plunged over the 36 inch high railing. There's a reason for the speed limit on the bridge - it was a combination of high winds and her excessive speed that caused enough lift to make the light car fly.In March 1997, a 1996 Ford Bronco went over the edge. It was later determined to be a suicide.Remember, call and make arrangements beforehand, and someone will drive your car across the bridge.BY THE WAY...on August 7, an episode of Dirty Jobs will feature the Mighty Mac.

Oh. Thanks for the info.

And, I do know about the Dirty Jobs episode....I plan on watching it! Hopefully it'll help me overcome my fear.

I know someone will drive my car across if I want them too...but in some insane way, I feel the need to conquer this fear. I'm nuts.

You're not nuts (well, at least not about this bridge issue...). You are being a "big girl" and realizing that your reaction to some things is within your ability to control and change. What an example for this GSs you are taking!

Okay - sorry Chris! I would have pulled my post - but KG had already expanded on it!

BUT - The Yugo - she was being both careless and reckless - when you come to the bridge - there are always weather reports and special speed limits and instructions for driving - and if you follow those you will be fine!

And as for the recent bridge collapse - that was a totally different kind of bridge - and the Mac is one of the best maintained bridges in the USA! I guess it should be reassuring that maintenance is ongoing - at least we know that it's always being taken care of!

On 9/11 my DH was on the 14th St Bridge when the plane flew directly over him and into the Pentagon. He saw the whole thing and then ended up being stuck on the bridge for almost 3 hours. He had a fear of bridges for the longest time afterwards!

Cindycooks said:
On 9/11 my DH was on the 14th St Bridge when the plane flew directly over him and into the Pentagon. He saw the whole thing and then ended up being stuck on the bridge for almost 3 hours. He had a fear of bridges for the longest time afterwards!

I guess that blows that whole conspiracy theory of the Pentagon Explosion being an inside job, huh?

YEP - we argue that everytime!

The Mighty Mac and the Golden Gate Bridge have something in common - a crew starts painting on one end, and when they get to the other end, they have to go back to the other end and start painting again.It takes seven years to paint the Mighty Mac from one end to the other.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The Mighty Mac and the Golden Gate Bridge have something in common - a crew starts painting on one end, and when they get to the other end, they have to go back to the other end and start painting again.

It takes seven years to paint the Mighty Mac from one end to the other.

That's why there is always contstruction on the Mackinaw Bridge.

There was an interesting article in the Detroit Free Press last summer about Mighty Mac. One of their features reporters took suggestions from readers of places to go and things to do (within Michigan) over the summer. Someone suggested going up the support towers of Mighty Mac.

(Can't find the article - I think I need to register online to search their site that far back.) But they have an interesting article just today on fear of bridges: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007708030374

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The Mighty Mac and the Golden Gate Bridge have something in common - a crew starts painting on one end, and when they get to the other end, they have to go back to the other end and start painting again.

It takes seven years to paint the Mighty Mac from one end to the other.

There's Job Security!!!

chefann said:
There was an interesting article in the Detroit Free Press last summer about Mighty Mac. One of their features reporters took suggestions from readers of places to go and things to do (within Michigan) over the summer. Someone suggested going up the support towers of Mighty Mac.(Can't find the article - I think I need to register online to search their site that far back.) But they have an interesting article just today on fear of bridges: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007708030374
That article describes me perfectly!!! DH has even asked me how I can love rollercoasters so much - and parasailing - but be so terrified of crossing bridges!:eek: One time - I had to take my car for repairs - the Dealership was on a very busy street - but there was a Doughnut Shop I wanted to wait at on the other side of the street. There was a pedestrian cross-over bridge, (Just grates though - you could see the street below) so I thought I should be able to cross over no problem! I got to the middle and all of a sudden my knees gave out from under me. I ended up scooting on my butt the rest of the way, shaking like a leaf and almost hyperventilating....even had to scoot down the steps because my legs were like jelly! I called a friend from the Doughnut Shop, and had her take me back over to my car!!!

I've just put up a piece about bridges and the bridge collapse on my blog. If anyone else seem a little confused (and concerned) about the terms "structurally deficient" and "functionally obsolete" being tossed around without explanation, log on to http://www.jrmanning.com/ and see what you think.

chefann said:
There was an interesting article in the Detroit Free Press last summer about Mighty Mac. One of their features reporters took suggestions from readers of places to go and things to do (within Michigan) over the summer. Someone suggested going up the support towers of Mighty Mac.

(Can't find the article - I think I need to register online to search their site that far back.) But they have an interesting article just today on fear of bridges: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007708030374

Dude! I read that article (or one just like it) last night!! Wow! How wierd that you brought that up! The one I read had the reporter that went up the tower. I read it and looked at the pic, and just freaked! NO *$)%*$)^ way could I ever do that! :eek: LOL!!!

ChefBeckyD said:
One time - I had to take my car for repairs - the Dealership was on a very busy street - but there was a Doughnut Shop I wanted to wait at on the other side of the street. There was a pedestrian cross-over bridge, (Just grates though - you could see the street below) so I thought I should be able to cross over no problem! I got to the middle and all of a sudden my knees gave out from under me. I ended up scooting on my butt the rest of the way, shaking like a leaf and almost hyperventilating....even had to scoot down the steps because my legs were like jelly! I called a friend from the Doughnut Shop, and had her take me back over to my car!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!

Becky, I'm getting quite a visual!! Thanks for sharing! :D

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I've just put up a piece about bridges and the bridge collapse on my blog.

If anyone else seem a little confused (and concerned) about the terms "structurally deficient" and "functionally obsolete" being tossed around without explanation, log on to http://www.jrmanning.com/ and see what you think.

I love reading your blogs, KG! You're such a wealth of information! Thanks!

I wonder how often the Mighty Mac is inspected?!?!?!? Hopefully more than every 2 years!

I heard a news report about the MN bridge in which they were saying that the 35W bridge was subjected to harsh weather and temperature changes and currents from the river and yada yada yada, and I started thinking...hmmm...like the Mighty Mac ISN'T?? Yikes!

pcchris said:
ROTFLMAO!!!

Becky, I'm getting quite a visual!! Thanks for sharing! :D

I seriously thought I was going to throw up all over the cars below me......and couldn't even eat a donut when I got the the shop!

And it was MARGES DONUT DEN - the best donuts in the world!!! (or at least in Grand Rapids.) Here's a link so you can see what they look like!

Marge's Donut Den of Wyoming Michigan - Since 1975 "Quality Comes First"

Little bit of trivia - until recently - Marges had a sign that read "Marge's Donut Den - We Never Close".......but as Marge got older - she decided she didn't want to be open 24/7 anymore - so they removed that part of the sign. I'm sure that police from all over the city were disappointed!

MMMMMMMMMM!!! Those donuts look yummy! I suppose Wyoming, MI isn't anywhere near the Mackinac island..

Becky, is your best show SERIOUSLY over $5,000?

pcchris said:
MMMMMMMMMM!!! Those donuts look yummy! I suppose Wyoming, MI isn't anywhere near the Mackinac island..

Do you consider 4 hours south of the bridge "near"?:D
You could take that way home......it's close to both 131 & 196 heading towards Chicago.....

(Take the long way home.....take the long way home.....anyone else getting a Supertramp 70's flashback?)

ChefBeckyD said:
Do you consider 4 hours south of the bridge "near"?:D
You could take that way home......it's close to both 131 & 196 heading towards Chicago.....

(Take the long way home.....take the long way home.....anyone else getting a Supertramp 70's flashback?)
Actually...

Milwaukee to St. Ignace via Escanaba.......365 miles
Mackinaw City to Milwaukee via Marge's.....513 miles

Total Trip: 878 miles

pcchris said:
Becky, is your best show SERIOUSLY over $5,000?

Yep - but it was a fundraiser I did for a dear friend w/ Breast Cancer - I personally headed it up, and worked on it - and it was the only thing I did that month. It was a labor of love.

<h2>1. How long is the Mackinac Bridge?</h2><p>The Mackinac Bridge is 26,372 feet long, making it one of the longest suspension bridges in the world.</p><h2>2. Is it safe to cross the Mackinac Bridge with a carload of Girl Scouts?</h2><p>Yes, it is completely safe to cross the Mackinac Bridge with a carload of Girl Scouts. The bridge is regularly inspected and maintained to ensure its safety for all vehicles.</p><h2>3. Are there any special precautions or procedures for crossing the Mackinac Bridge?</h2><p>Yes, there are a few precautions and procedures to follow when crossing the Mackinac Bridge. All vehicles must maintain a speed of at least 20 mph and no more than 45 mph. Also, be sure to turn off your radio and refrain from talking on your cell phone while crossing the bridge.</p><h2>4. Can I stop on the Mackinac Bridge to take pictures?</h2><p>No, stopping on the Mackinac Bridge is strictly prohibited for safety reasons. However, there are several designated scenic overlooks on both sides of the bridge where you can safely take pictures.</p><h2>5. What can I do to calm my fear of bridges while crossing the Mackinac Bridge?</h2><p>First, remember that the Mackinac Bridge is regularly inspected and maintained for safety. Second, try to focus on the beautiful scenery and distract yourself with music or conversation with your Girl Scouts. You can also try deep breathing exercises or listening to a calming meditation app to help ease your fear.</p>

1. How long is the Mackinac Bridge?

The Mackinac Bridge is 26,372 feet long, making it one of the longest suspension bridges in the world.

2. Is it safe to cross the Mackinac Bridge with a carload of Girl Scouts?

Yes, it is completely safe to cross the Mackinac Bridge with a carload of Girl Scouts. The bridge is regularly inspected and maintained to ensure its safety for all vehicles.

3. Are there any special precautions or procedures for crossing the Mackinac Bridge?

Yes, there are a few precautions and procedures to follow when crossing the Mackinac Bridge. All vehicles must maintain a speed of at least 20 mph and no more than 45 mph. Also, be sure to turn off your radio and refrain from talking on your cell phone while crossing the bridge.

4. Can I stop on the Mackinac Bridge to take pictures?

No, stopping on the Mackinac Bridge is strictly prohibited for safety reasons. However, there are several designated scenic overlooks on both sides of the bridge where you can safely take pictures.

5. What can I do to calm my fear of bridges while crossing the Mackinac Bridge?

First, remember that the Mackinac Bridge is regularly inspected and maintained for safety. Second, try to focus on the beautiful scenery and distract yourself with music or conversation with your Girl Scouts. You can also try deep breathing exercises or listening to a calming meditation app to help ease your fear.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookingwithlove
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • pchefkristin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pchefkristin
  • chefmoseley