• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Survive Crossing the Mackinac Bridge with My Girl Scouts?

In summary, the Girl Scouts are going to Mackinac Island in 2 months and I am scared of bridges. PC Chris suggests singing to take his mind off the bridge.
Apparently, you can get someone to drive your car, so you can scrunch down behind the front seat and cower.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Apparently, you can get someone to drive your car, so you can scrunch down behind the front seat and cower.
Hey now! I don't cower - I read a book, and find my happy place!:eek: (Okay - I do scrunch down a bit.)Would you believe I go over the "Big Mac" several times a year? I think I may need therapy - seriously!

I have the exact same fear and I've been over the Mac many times... once my BIL stopped and opened the door to show us the grating. I nearly cried. I agree with KG about the outside lane and I know that will be hard because then you will feel you are too close to the edge but what I have found is that I am MUCH better off driving on a bridge than being the passenger because for whatever twisted reason I feel more in control. Drive whatever speed feels okay to you and let everyone else pass you. PRAY hard and breathe deep... try not to hold on to the steering wheel too tightly... it will help you relax. I don't talk too much while in the process... I'll be praying for you... I get choked up just thinking about it knowing how you feel. We're with you!

ChefBeckyD said:
Hey now! I don't cower - I read a book, and find my happy place!:eek: (Okay - I do scrunch down a bit.)

Would you believe I go over the "Big Mac" several times a year? I think I may need therapy - seriously!
Just don't be Simon Cower and say nasty things about the driver.

;)

quiverfull7 said:
I have the exact same fear and I've been over the Mac many times... once my BIL stopped and opened the door to show us the grating. I nearly cried. I agree with KG about the outside lane and I know that will be hard because then you will feel you are too close to the edge but what I have found is that I am MUCH better off driving on a bridge than being the passenger because for whatever twisted reason I feel more in control. Drive whatever speed feels okay to you and let everyone else pass you. PRAY hard and breathe deep... try not to hold on to the steering wheel too tightly... it will help you relax. I don't talk too much while in the process... I'll be praying for you... I get choked up just thinking about it knowing how you feel. We're with you!
The only reason I try to say anything funny about any of this is because of my own paranoia about driving across bridges. (Not that anyone would notice that I make smart remarks about anything in life.) I hate driving across a drawbridge because of the steel grate decking - it not only makes that awful sound but the grating tends to grab tire treads, making it like steering on snow. The grate on the Mighty Mac is of a different type and it really is like driving on snow.

What I haven't told you yet is that I have great discomfort driving the Mackinac Bridge, too. I also shudder when I drive the Newell Bridge from Newell, WV to East Liverpool, Ohio, and anyone who has ever been there will understand that one.

That said, my discomfort with it is more like the nervous anticipation you have just before you get on a roller coaster. You get an adrenalin rush while on the coaster, and once you get off the coaster (or drive off the other end of the bridge) there's a certain post-trauma thrill and relief that must be a result of the adrenalin surge being over.

One of the most terrifying experiences of my life was many years ago when I drove my 1930 Ford Model A across the Mackinac Bridge. The concrete lanes were closed and I had to drive on the steel decking. You have to understand that a Model A is tall with a flat surface to catch wind gusts, and it has tall, skinny tires (4.75 x 19 on a 1930.) That made it just that much more of a strange experience. I had white knuckles all the way across but when I got to the other side, I almost wanted to turn around and do it again!

Don't sweat it, though, it will all be fine and it will all be over much too soon.

KG, thanks for your tale....and your honesty about the Mighty Mac. I know I have to "suck it up" and do it...and I'm sure I'll get over it okay (I'd better!!! my Girl Scout's parents would probably be pretty pissed if I crashed! LOL!)

I have a lot of time to look at pics and convince myself that it'll be a piece of cake! (wishful thinking!)

and, there always is the bridge people that wil drive fo me if I'm too freaked out to do it myself.

ugh. (icky feeling in tummy.)

I can relate to the roller coaster feelings you referred to...so I'm hoping that I'll have that big sigh of relief and feel better after I cross it (then realize I have to go back a couple of days later...ick!)

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom...and I'm very happy to know I'm not the only one with bridge phobia!!
I very much appreciate it!

Just go drive back and forth across the Hoan Bridge to practice.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/25/Hoan_Bridge.jpg/250px-Hoan_Bridge.jpg

Last edited:
No, No, you must drive over the Huey P. Long Bridge in Louisiana, over the Might Mississip.

http://www.visi.com/~jweeks/lower_mississippi/pages/lmiss16.html

Oh, that thing in the middle? IT'S A TRAIN TRESTLE!!! BIG FREIGHT TRAINS, RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!!

I found a different, wider, sturdier bridge the next time I drove that way.

Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, yeah, that's a beauty. Appropriately named, too, because someone, somewhere, had to get paid off to build that monstrosity.I only suggested the Hoan bridge for Chris to practice on because it's close to home.

The Newell Bridge opened in 1905 and was the first all steel suspension bridge. It was built to faciliate the workforce commute across the Ohio River. (At one time, East Liverpool, Ohio and Chester, WV were, together, the pottery capital of the world, with many china makers located there. Today, Hall China still operates in East Liverpool and the Homer Laughlin Co. still makes Fiesta in Chester, WV.)http://www.bridgemeister.com/imgddm/ddoheliver1.jpgThe turn off the bridge on to West Virginia Hwy 2 is so tight that you have to stop on the bridge, several feet away from the intersection, to allow traffic from Hwy 2 to be able to make the turn. Traffic on Hwy 2 also must stop quite a distance from the bridge entrance to allow traffic coming off the bridge to make the tight turn. When you cross from West Virginia to Ohio, you are actually traveling in a north-easterly direction.) It is all steel grate decking - just what I love. (We need a sarcasm smiley!)
poohnewell3.jpg
It is a privately owned and operated toll bridge, that recently doubled its rate to 50¢. (The Newell Bridge and Railroad Company owns only one asset - the bridge.)There are several rather rickity-looking bridges across the Ohio River and as much as I hate bridges, I have a secret lust to cross this one because of the adrenalin rush I get from driving it.

Last edited:
HA HA HA! I've been across the Hoan in Milwaukee! Didn't care for that one either! (ICK!) However, I have no problem with the High Rise. Don't understand...well, I guess I do. The Hi-Rise isn't a suspension bridge...with cables and all that!
Note: when we went to Florida a few months ago, we had to cross the bridge going into Louisville on Hwy 65...well, we hit at rush hour, and of course were stopped on the bridge due to traffic. Man, that baby was MOVING! I thought I was going to have a stroke! Fortunately for me, I was not driving, so I slumped down in my seat and closed my eyes...didn't make it much better, but I survived!
Great idea, though...will have to try the Hoan. Either that or the one in Green Bay. (ick!)

BTW, KG - love your topics on your blog!

I keep looking that the bridge cam for the Mighty Mac and think of you every time it's raining or foggy.I know the bridge you're speaking of in Louisville and that one is not that bad. I hate the bridge on I-43 over the Fox River, too. I'd rather cross the Mac. I usually take WI 172 over to 41 and go north.

I don't have any advice for you, just know that I said a prayer to help you over the bridge! (both times!)

KellyTheChef said:
I don't have any advice for you, just know that I said a prayer to help you over the bridge! (both times!)

Thanks, Kelly! I appreciate it!!

I apologize now, because I know this isn't going to help:

Can I tell you that I used to have this reoccuring dream (maybe 10 years ago) of going up a really steep bridge and then the car had a problem and we started to roll backwards and lost control and wound up in the water. I avoided bridges for a long time, and finally, I stopped having the dream, and I would just deal with the bridge.

Well, 2 years ago, we went to Thousand Islands with my in laws. FIL wanted to show us this really great bridge. We paid the toll and got close to it. I took one look--OMG, the bridge from my dreams. I freaked out, I mean fr-eaked out--in front of everyone--5 other people, I became uncontrollably hysterical, and I very much like to remain in control of myself at all times. My FIL pulled over and said that we didn't have to go over it, he turned around. My DH thought I was nuts. About a week or so later, there was an accident on that bridge.

Holy crap Anne! Delete your post right now!

You are going to give her a stroke right here and now!

I'm sorry! I just believe sometimes we have a fear for a reason. :(

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I keep looking that the bridge cam for the Mighty Mac and think of you every time it's raining or foggy.

I know the bridge you're speaking of in Louisville and that one is not that bad.

I hate the bridge on I-43 over the Fox River, too. I'd rather cross the Mac. I usually take WI 172 over to 41 and go north.

You know, it means SO much to me that you think of me! How sweet!! Lousy circumstances, but sweet nonetheless!! :eek: LOL!!!

I do not believe that I've ever taken the I-43 bridge over the Fox. Now, I'll make sure that I don't !! The Louisville bridge isn't that bad unless you're stuck on it and can feel it moving. :eek: ICK!

:)

pcchris said:
Great idea, though...will have to try the Hoan. Either that or the one in Green Bay. (ick!)

BTW, KG - love your topics on your blog!
That would be the one!

I was kind of laughing when I posted back to you....I hate that we can't "hear" how someone is talking on this board.

I just don't want to give Chris anything else to think about going over that bridge.

Your story gave me goosebumps... I think sometimes we are given information that doesn't make sense to other people, too. Glad you guys didn't go over that bridge!

Sorry if I sounded like I was really yelling at you...that's not what I was trying to do!!

pcchris said:
The Louisville bridge isn't that bad unless you're stuck on it and can feel it moving. :eek: ICK!

:)

Love that Resonance Effect!

Check out the http://www.mackinacbridge.org/bridge-cam-20/.http://cam.mackinacbridge.org/fullsize.jpg

Last edited:
Kelly, I didn't think you were yelling! LOL

I still love ya! http://smileydatabase.com/s/556.gif

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Check out the http://www.mackinacbridge.org/bridge-cam-20/.
Yikes..............

AJPratt said:
Kelly, I didn't think you were yelling! LOL

I still love ya! http://smileydatabase.com/s/556.gif
Aaawwwwww, shucks!:eek: :eek: Love you too!

Glad your not mad at me! :D

Get a room you two - oh, you're in different waves. Never mind.

KellyTheChef said:
Aaawwwwww, shucks!:eek: :eek: Love you too!

Glad your not mad at me! :D
Didn't think anything of it. You made me laugh when you said, "holy crap!" LOL

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You wish!!!!!!!!!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

AJPratt said:
You wish!!!!!!!!!

We are NOT sliding down that slippery slope again!:eek: :eek:

Poor Grande isn't even posting here from what happened the other day!

No way, Jose!!!!!!!!!!!

AJPratt said:

Can I tell you that I used to have this reoccuring dream (maybe 10 years ago) of going up a really steep bridge and then the car had a problem and we started to roll backwards and lost control and wound up in the water. I avoided bridges for a long time, and finally, I stopped having the dream, and I would just deal with the bridge.

Well, 2 years ago, we went to Thousand Islands with my in laws. FIL wanted to show us this really great bridge. We paid the toll and got close to it. I took one look--OMG, the bridge from my dreams. I freaked out, I mean fr-eaked out--in front of everyone--5 other people, I became uncontrollably hysterical, and I very much like to remain in control of myself at all times. My FIL pulled over and said that we didn't have to go over it, he turned around. My DH thought I was nuts. About a week or so later, there was an accident on that bridge.

Oh, thanks Anne...
That really helps!

Now I'll probably start dreaming of that dang bridge!

(I'm being sarcastic...it's hard to "read" emotions!)

pcchris said:
Oh, thanks Anne...
That really helps!

Now I'll probably start dreaming of that dang bridge!

(I'm being sarcastic...it's hard to "read" emotions!)
Sorry! LOL

pcchris said:
Hi everyone! I'm freaking out...

We are taking our Girl Scouts to Mackinac Island in 2 months. I am scared to death of bridges................and of course, anyone who's ever been to the island knows about THE BRIDGE we're going to have to cross. How does a person who's scared of bridges manage to cross this sucker with a carload of 13 year old girls? Another driver isn't an option...any advice? Normally when our family travels, my DH drives, so I can close my eyes when we go over bridges...unfortunately this is not an option for me (to close my eyes...I am driving!) Any advice?

Hey there... we went to the island a few years ago and caught the ferry on the lower side. Didn't have to do the bridge at all.

I am not a fan of bridges. What I do when I have to deal with them is drive in the very center lane, breathe deeply, have some great music on and just concentrate on the road. Think of it as a challenge (as if driving a carload of 13 year old girls isn't enough!) and a chance to conquer your fear.

You can do it!

Isnt that the island in Somewhere In Time? Or just similar names.

My town is full of bridges - you dont want to come here! Im sorry - I feel for you! Pray first - sing songs with the girls! Hold on tight and be careful!

Cindycooks said:
Isnt that the island in Somewhere In Time? Or just similar names.

Yup, that movie was filmed at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island...we're going to the hotel for lunch. :)

Regular bridges don't really bother me....just suspension bridges with the towers and cables and stuff scare the bejeebies out of me! The Mackinac bridge is like 5 MILES long....although the whole 5 miles is not the cable/tower part. ICK! :eek:

Looked at the website and that bridge does LOOK SCARRY!!! I not to found of bridges either and we have this one I have to cross to go to my hubby's military base. When I was little everytime I crossed this bridge I needed to be laying down on the floor boards of the car!!! But I have found since I am driving the bridge myself it isn't as scarry. I am still leary but it is much better when I am the one in control. I always stay to the inside lane and go....Good Luck. I am sure you will do fine. I think the worst part is worrying about until you get to it!!!

PamperChefCarol said:
Hey there... we went to the island a few years ago and caught the ferry on the lower side. Didn't have to do the bridge at all.

I am not a fan of bridges. What I do when I have to deal with them is drive in the very center lane, breathe deeply, have some great music on and just concentrate on the road. Think of it as a challenge (as if driving a carload of 13 year old girls isn't enough!) and a chance to conquer your fear.

You can do it!

Yes, but I think that they are coming through the U.P. and staying in Mackinaw City - so they have to go over the bridge!

ChefBeckyD said:
Yes, but I think that they are coming through the U.P. and staying in Mackinaw City - so they have to go over the bridge!

Yep! That is correct! I wouldn't have minded staying in St Ignace and catching the ferry to the island from there...but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! We have to stay in Mac City. Hence, the bridge. ugh. Why, I ought to slap my co-leader right in the melon for this!

My DD has a whole list of obnoxious Girl Scout songs that she's ready to sing when we go over the Mighty Mac...sure hope it works! Either that, or I'll find a truck to tag behind so I can just look at the back on the truck...my dad gave me that idea today!

Thanks for all the ideas and thoughts...I'm sure it'll get worse the closer the date gets!

pcchris said:
Yup, that movie was filmed at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island...we're going to the hotel for lunch. :) Regular bridges don't really bother me....just suspension bridges with the towers and cables and stuff scare the bejeebies out of me! The Mackinac bridge is like 5 MILES long....although the whole 5 miles is not the cable/tower part. ICK! :eek:
It is NOT 5 miles long!It's 28 feet short of 5 miles.
naekelsey said:
Looked at the website and that bridge does LOOK SCARRY!!! I not to found of bridges either and we have this one I have to cross to go to my hubby's military base. When I was little everytime I crossed this bridge I needed to be laying down on the floor boards of the car!!! But I have found since I am driving the bridge myself it isn't as scarry. I am still leary but it is much better when I am the one in control. I always stay to the inside lane and go....Good Luck. I am sure you will do fine. I think the worst part is worrying about until you get to it!!!
It's really not that scarey, but I can guarantee that PCChris won't be on the inside lanes - they're steel decking and sing when you drive on them.

Oh, gee...thanks KG!

No inside lane for me...unless I have no other choice.

Well, Chris - I found one that's worse than the Mighty Mac! You'd NEVER make it across this one! (I had trepidations about driving on this one, but it was a pretty good thrill ride!)http://bridgehunter.com/tools/posts/ia_boone_77850/1184552081-4-T.jpgIt crosses the Des Moines River, near Boone, Iowa, in the shadow of the high level Kate Shelly bridge. (Not to worry, the Kate Shelly Bridge is a Union Pacific railroad bridge.)You can see this beauty at the Bridge Hunters website.

AJPratt said:

I almost spit taco salad on my computer screen when I started reading this I was laughing so hard!!!

And - Kelly, I LOVED your response!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
There are several rather rickity-looking bridges across the Ohio River and as much as I hate bridges, I have a secret lust to cross this one because of the adrenalin rush I get from driving it.

Really? Where are they so I can be sure to avoid them!

Waaaaaay over on the east end, crossing into West Virginia.

Psssst...wanna buy a bridge? This one, in Kansas City, is available.http://bridgehunter.com/mo/jackson/paseo/west-side.jpgPaseo Bridge available -- some disassembly requiredApril 18, 2007 - The Paseo Bridge in Kansas City is available for adaptive reuse. The text of the announcement says: The Paseo Bridge (L07345) carrying Route I-29 over the Missouri River in Kansas City may be available for adaptive reuse at an off-site location within the next 5 years. If the bridge, or any part thereof, is transferred to another party, deed covenants may require the new owner to maintain the bridge in accordance with established standards for historic bridges. Funds may be available for reuse of the bridge. Description: This National Register of Historic Places-eligible bridge was designed by Howard, Needles, Tammen, and Bergenhoff, and constructed in 1952-54 by several local construction firms. It is a 3- span self-anchored catenary cable suspension bridge with four steel plate girder approach spans. It measures 1,832 feet in length and carries 4 lanes of traffic. Contact: Missouri Department of Transportation
Phone: 1-888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636)
E-Mail: [email protected]

KG, sir...
The other bridges you posted are scary looking (especially the first one...), but I'd probably cross those. They aren't too long. We actually drove across a covered bridge in NH quite a few years ago, and I thought "this won't be so bad", as I love covered bridges (I think they're beautiful!). Well, this bridge was OLD...like wooden planks (no pavement to drive on), and we had to go reeeaaaaaaalllllly slow. I thought I was going to wet myself. Nice to look at, but not my cup of tea! (Kinda like the Mighty Mac!) I have pics of the covered bridge. I still get chills when I look at the pics and think we actually drove over that sucker. eek!

I swear EVERY DAY there is a High Wind Advisory on the Mighty Mac. I think that means you have to slow down. wonderful. i can hardly wait. (Can you sense my sarcasm?!?!?!??!)

That through truss bridge over the Des Moines, near Boone, was built in 1909 and it has a wood planked deck, too. The approach is the most fun...I swear, none of those planks are attached! What a racket they make when you cross them!You could buy the Paseo bridge and put it in your back yard. ;)

How's that saying go..."I got a bridge I can sell ya"!! LOL!!!

At least I could say I conquered a bridge!

Check out these sites - built and maintained by people who love bridges.Bridgehunter for bridges of historical interest. (I have quite a few photos posted on this site, myself.)Bridgemeistger - a collection of suspension bridges and there are far more out there than you realize!

i hate bridges too!Bless your heart. Since having my baby a year ago, I too am terrified of bridges. I have been able to get over it with another person riding shotgun and trying to talk a lot to get my mind off of it. Prayer is also a big one. I will pray for you as well. There is still one bridge in town that I will go about 10 miles out of the way to keep from going over. I also, turn up the radio, get on my cell phone, roll down the windows, eat a cookie (hehehe), just about anything to keep busy while going over that bridge and keep my mind off of it. Good luck to you!

<h2>1. How long is the Mackinac Bridge?</h2><p>The Mackinac Bridge is 26,372 feet long, making it one of the longest suspension bridges in the world.</p><h2>2. Is it safe to cross the Mackinac Bridge with a carload of Girl Scouts?</h2><p>Yes, it is completely safe to cross the Mackinac Bridge with a carload of Girl Scouts. The bridge is regularly inspected and maintained to ensure its safety for all vehicles.</p><h2>3. Are there any special precautions or procedures for crossing the Mackinac Bridge?</h2><p>Yes, there are a few precautions and procedures to follow when crossing the Mackinac Bridge. All vehicles must maintain a speed of at least 20 mph and no more than 45 mph. Also, be sure to turn off your radio and refrain from talking on your cell phone while crossing the bridge.</p><h2>4. Can I stop on the Mackinac Bridge to take pictures?</h2><p>No, stopping on the Mackinac Bridge is strictly prohibited for safety reasons. However, there are several designated scenic overlooks on both sides of the bridge where you can safely take pictures.</p><h2>5. What can I do to calm my fear of bridges while crossing the Mackinac Bridge?</h2><p>First, remember that the Mackinac Bridge is regularly inspected and maintained for safety. Second, try to focus on the beautiful scenery and distract yourself with music or conversation with your Girl Scouts. You can also try deep breathing exercises or listening to a calming meditation app to help ease your fear.</p>

1. How long is the Mackinac Bridge?

The Mackinac Bridge is 26,372 feet long, making it one of the longest suspension bridges in the world.

2. Is it safe to cross the Mackinac Bridge with a carload of Girl Scouts?

Yes, it is completely safe to cross the Mackinac Bridge with a carload of Girl Scouts. The bridge is regularly inspected and maintained to ensure its safety for all vehicles.

3. Are there any special precautions or procedures for crossing the Mackinac Bridge?

Yes, there are a few precautions and procedures to follow when crossing the Mackinac Bridge. All vehicles must maintain a speed of at least 20 mph and no more than 45 mph. Also, be sure to turn off your radio and refrain from talking on your cell phone while crossing the bridge.

4. Can I stop on the Mackinac Bridge to take pictures?

No, stopping on the Mackinac Bridge is strictly prohibited for safety reasons. However, there are several designated scenic overlooks on both sides of the bridge where you can safely take pictures.

5. What can I do to calm my fear of bridges while crossing the Mackinac Bridge?

First, remember that the Mackinac Bridge is regularly inspected and maintained for safety. Second, try to focus on the beautiful scenery and distract yourself with music or conversation with your Girl Scouts. You can also try deep breathing exercises or listening to a calming meditation app to help ease your fear.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookingwithlove
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • pchefkristin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pchefkristin
  • chefmoseley