• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Substitute Nuts in Basil-Walnut Pesto?

As far as the servings. I would say it's enough for 15 people to get some so whatever you are spreading it on it will cover a pizza or 15-30 appetizer breads.
jrstephens
Has anyone tried this? I have fresh basil and thought about making some.

Can I freeze it? How long will it store frozen?

How long will it store in the frig in a jar?

I thought about making a bunch of it to use for fall recipes and saving my host from having to get pesto if we need it.

And when it says Yield: 15 servings....does that mean it is enough to make the pesto pizzas 15 times? Or enough to spread on 14 slices of bread? I am trying to decide how much I would need to make.

Could you use other nuts? I have pecans in my freezer is why I was wondering.

Help please!

Haven't made it - guess you'll have to let US know! As far as the servings. I would say it's enough for 15 people to get some so whatever you are spreading it on it will cover a pizza or 15-30 appetizer breads.

I am sure pecans would work great - just a little different flavor.

Give us a review!!

Do i have to use OLIVE oil? I have vegetable oil already.

I think I just need to make my own recipe up!;)

Olive oil is an important flavor component of pesto - I wouldn't skip it.

Also, as far as substituting pecans, I don't imagine that would be ultra-successful. Pine nuts are the traditional nut in pesto. Walnuts are often substituted, as they have a similar texture/taste. But pecans are a little too different. They're sweeter, which would definitely affect the flavor.

I'm sorry if I just rained all over your parade.

I agree with ann...the flavors of pine nuts (or walnuts) with olive oil and basil really define the flavor of pesto....and what a wonderful flavor it is! :)

chefann said:
Olive oil is an important flavor component of pesto - I wouldn't skip it.

Also, as far as substituting pecans, I don't imagine that would be ultra-successful. Pine nuts are the traditional nut in pesto. Walnuts are often substituted, as they have a similar texture/taste. But pecans are a little too different. They're sweeter, which would definitely affect the flavor.

I'm sorry if I just rained all over your parade.

I was just going to post close to the same thing Ann! I was going to let the pecan question go - but then when you asked about Olive Oil, Jennifer........ !:eek: If you subbed both of those things - you'd have a basil-pecan paste.....but I don't think you could call it pesto!;)

Can't you tell I just like to use what I already have and do NOT have to buy!!:D

Who doesn't? But there are some substitutions (or combinations thereof) that just won't work. :)

jrstephens said:
Can't you tell I just like to use what I already have and do NOT have to buy!!:D

Hey - you are talking to the QUEEN of substitutions here!:D Not having everything in a recipe has never stopped me.....but not having anything in a recipe will make me move on to a new recipe!:D

Well, I did not realize that about the nuts. I have substituted pecans/walnuts but not in a pesto recipe. Great to learn! It's my new thing for the day! Thanks.

And I agree about the oil. Vegetable and Olive oil are definitely not interchangeable.

mmm.... really good extra virgin olive oil is a true delight. Lovely and green and peppery smelling. Canola or corn oil just isn't in the same ballpark.

I make fresh pesto alot and freeze it in icecube trays! (just like I used to do babyfood). After it is frozen, pop out the individual cubes and store them in a gallon ziploc freezer bag. Then you can take out just what you need. One cube is about 2 TBS. Here is my recipe and it does say you can substitute pinenuts for walnuts but I have never done that!

Fresh Pesto
3 cups packed fresh basil (stems removed)
¾ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
¾ cup fresh chopped parsley
¼ cup melted butter
½ cup olive oil
½ cup pine nuts or walnuts
2 large cloves garlic
Salt to taste

Combine everything in a blender. Thoroughly work into a smooth paste. Toss with hot pasta. This pesto freezes very well.

Last edited:
I bought Olive Oil and Walnuts last night! Ain't yall proud of me!;)

We are! And you'll be able to use them in other recipes, too, Jennifer. :)

jrstephens said:
I bought Olive Oil and Walnuts last night! Ain't yall proud of me!;)

We are very proud of you. Now you'll have to let us know what you think of this recipe. :D

jrstephens said:
How long will it store frozen?

How long will it store in the frig in a jar?
QUOTE]

We never discussed these questions since I kept asking about substitutions!:rolleyes:

What are the ingredients in Basil-Walnut Pesto?

The main ingredients in Basil-Walnut Pesto are fresh basil leaves, walnuts, garlic, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese. Some recipes may also include lemon juice or pine nuts.

Is Basil-Walnut Pesto gluten-free?

Yes, Basil-Walnut Pesto is typically gluten-free as long as all of the ingredients used are also gluten-free. However, it is always important to check labels and ingredients to ensure there are no hidden sources of gluten.

How do I store Basil-Walnut Pesto?

Basil-Walnut Pesto can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. It can also be frozen for longer storage. To freeze, place the pesto in an ice cube tray and once frozen, transfer the cubes to a freezer-safe container.

What can I use Basil-Walnut Pesto for?

Basil-Walnut Pesto is a versatile condiment that can be used in many ways. It is commonly used as a pasta sauce, spread on sandwiches or wraps, mixed into soups or stews, or used as a marinade for meats and vegetables.

Can I make Basil-Walnut Pesto without nuts?

Yes, you can make Basil-Walnut Pesto without nuts by substituting them with other ingredients such as sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or even avocado. However, the texture and flavor may be slightly different from traditional pesto.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies
Views
JennLizFran
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies