• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Building a Home: Budgeting in Rural PA

In summary, The person is trying to come up with a budget for when they move into their own house and have a mortgage. They are looking into tv and internet and was wondering if anyone else lives in a small area and has a company they are happy with that they are not paying too much for. They have been looking into tv and internet and were wondering if anyone else lives in a small area and has a company they are happy with that they are not paying too much for. They are living with their parents to save money. They have been looking into tv and internet and was wondering if anyone else lives in a small area and has a company they are happy with that they are not paying too much for
ChefMoore
We are building a house in a really rural area in PA. I'm trying to come up with a budget for when we move into our own house and have a mortgage and everything, so we can start living that way now to get used to it. (right now we live with my parents to save $). I've been looking into tv and internet and was wondering if anyone else lives in a small area and has a company they are happy with that they are not paying too much for. Any suggestions?

ChefMoore said:
We are building a house in a really rural area in PA. I'm trying to come up with a budget for when we move into our own house and have a mortgage and everything, so we can start living that way now to get used to it. (right now we live with my parents to save $). I've been looking into tv and internet and was wondering if anyone else lives in a small area and has a company they are happy with that they are not paying too much for. Any suggestions?

well, since cable around here is so regulated, we don't really have any choice - we get Comcast, or nothing at all......there are other internet providers - but Comcast offers a bundle deal that is hard to pass up.....and the internet provider we had before only offered dial-up for our area - and not even high-speed dial-up :)eek: ) so I had to go with Comcast......

I was looking at Comcast, but I don't know what to consider a good deal.

We live in a rural area of Washington State and we have Internet through satelite. The company is HughesNet. We also have satelite TV through DirecTV.

We were just able to get voicemail and caller ID call waiting where we live. There isn't an option of high speed dial up for the internet, so this seemed the best for us.

I live in PA... TV service is either Comcast or DirecTV... We have Comcast basic service (non-digital) and broadband. Total bill is $62/month. They're also running a promotion of phone/broadband/TV for like $99 or some such. Other than that... you'll want to find out who provides phone out there.. could be Verizon or D&E (used to be Conestoga)... Verizon of course provides phone and internet (DSL) and D&E provides both too (DeJazzd is the online service). Make calls now or check rates online to get an idea of what your budget should be for them. Another option for phone is to have broadband and have a VOIP phone (voice over IP - it's an internet based phone) like Vonage... those rates are very competitive price wise when compared to a phone company like D&E but won't work if the internet is down or the power is out. We have a Vonage line for our computer business... it's great, free long-distance to anywhere in the US any time but if internet/power is out, we have no business phone. You're wise to do your research now!

We have high-speed (faster than dial-up, but not DSL superfast) through At&t. We live in a rural area as well & this was our only option. It works really well for us, plus I can switch between the laptop & desktop without any trouble & when we're on vacation or on a trip somewhere, I can take the laptop & have internet on the road. Really great for when you're going somewhere & think you know where you're going, only to find out that you don't.

I live in a small area in Northern Cali. and we have Comcast. We have the option of Satalite or Cable. what I found w/ Satalite is that it would cost us almost $400 to get everything going, way too much for my blood. Comcast will give you a deal for a year usually when you sign up. I have been happy with them so far.Oh we pay $109 a month for a bronze package/internet. That includes a lot of sports channels & the speed channel(the only reason we have that package) and then our cable internet.

Well we have satellite because our driveway is about 1500 feet long and it will cost about $2000 to get cable run up to our house, so we have Dish network. And maybe i shouldn't say this but my husband works for Comcast- I know married to "the cable guy" and we have satellite. :eek:
But comcast system ends about 2 houses down from us so that puts us in Charters area. Well my husband came home yesterday and just got enough "feeder" to run to the house. Now he just needs to get a trench dug and the cable layed.
Satellite is okay but really sucks when the wind blows a little or a storm comes through then it goes out.

Related to Building a Home: Budgeting in Rural PA

1. How can I create a budget for building a home in rural PA?

Creating a budget for building a home in rural PA involves estimating all the costs associated with the project, including land, materials, labor, and permits. It's important to be realistic and account for unexpected expenses. You can also seek advice from a financial advisor or consult with a contractor to get a better understanding of the costs involved.

2. What are some cost-saving tips for building a home in rural PA?

One cost-saving tip is to consider using local materials and labor, as they may be more affordable. You can also look into purchasing energy-efficient appliances and materials to save on utility costs in the long run. Additionally, try to avoid making any last-minute changes or additions to the design, as they can significantly increase the overall cost.

3. Are there any specific permits or regulations I need to be aware of when building a home in rural PA?

Yes, there are certain permits and regulations that you need to comply with when building a home in rural PA. These may include zoning permits, building permits, and environmental permits. It's essential to research and understand these requirements beforehand to avoid any delays or fines.

4. How long does it typically take to build a home in rural PA?

The timeline for building a home in rural PA can vary depending on various factors such as the size and complexity of the project, weather conditions, and availability of labor and materials. On average, it can take anywhere from six months to a year to complete the construction process.

5. Can I make changes to the design once construction has started?

It's possible to make changes to the design once construction has started, but it can significantly impact the timeline and budget. It's best to finalize the design before starting the construction process to avoid delays and avoid any additional costs. If any changes are necessary, it's essential to communicate them with the contractor and assess the impact on the overall project.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Bren706
  • lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat
Replies