• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Brett Favre Returns: NFL Reinstates Iconic Quarterback for Green Bay Packers

In summary, Brett Favre has been reinstated by the NFL, and he is in the Green Bay Packers offices this morning, having his physical exam. It has been announced that Aaron Rodgers is the first string QB and Brett must compete for the starting job.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Brett Favre has been reinstated by the NFL, and he is in the Green Bay Packers offices this morning, having his physical exam. It has been announced that Aaron Rodgers is the first string QB and Brett must compete for the starting job.

Attempts to trade him have not been fruitful. (Sorry, Bucs, Jets, Vikings and Bears fans.)

My question is, when he retires again, are we going to have to go through the special Sports Illustrated issues drama again?

Are kids going to trade Brett Favre retirement bubble gum cards? Do I have to buy a copy of Madden NFL because the Brettster is on the front cover?

At least, I can wear my No. 4 jersey again...for awhile.

I am so happy he is coming back, and as far as "competing" for his job...I think that is an insult, but there is NO competition as far as I'm concerned!

Honestly, I lost a lot of respect for him through all this drama.

chefsteph07 said:
I am so happy he is coming back, and as far as "competing" for his job...I think that is an insult, but there is NO competition as far as I'm concerned!

Past performance doesn't equal present capability. It's only fair to his replacement and the team that he has to compete for it and doesn't get handed it.

janetupnorth said:
Funny, I've actually lost respect for Ted Thompson and the Gang of Idiots that is running the team these days. It was obvious from the day Ted Thompson came to town that he didn't want Favre around, along with any other remnants of the Ron Wolf era. Mike Sherman got a raw deal and so did Favre. While Thompson has made some good moves, I don't trust him and I don't like him. The mishandling of the Favre deal just reinforces that opinion for me.Ted Thompson reminds me of the Wicked Stepmother and the way she treated Cinderella. Well, the clock struck midnight and Cinderella is back. Much to Step Ma's dismay, the glass slipper will probably fit.

Ha, well put KG! I agree, at first I was thinking....how could he be such a jerk....but now I'm thinking that there is way more to the story than is getting out. Maybe he was so tearful at that farewell press conference because he really didn't want to retire, but was being forced to. It'll be an interesting next few weeks for sure! I still love him!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Funny, I've actually lost respect for Ted Thompson and the Gang of Idiots that is running the team these days. It was obvious from the day Ted Thompson came to town that he didn't want Favre around, along with any other remnants of the Ron Wolf era. Mike Sherman got a raw deal and so did Favre. While Thompson has made some good moves, I don't trust him and I don't like him. The mishandling of the Favre deal just reinforces that opinion for me.

Ted Thompson reminds me of the Wicked Stepmother and the way she treated Cinderella. Well, the clock struck midnight and Cinderella is back. Much to Step Ma's dismay, the glass slipper will probably fit.

True - I didn't even include those guys because they didn't have my respect to begin with lately! ;)

If I was Farve though, I would have avoided the whole thing and stayed retired and enjoyed life. Of course, I don't have the talent he has! :rolleyes:

I know Janet, that's what I was thinking when they offered him millions to stay retired....I thought wow, take it & get paid to hang out with your family! That's why I think there's gotta be way more to the story...

What's the vibe about this up in WI?

lacychef said:
I know Janet, that's what I was thinking when they offered him millions to stay retired....I thought wow, take it & get paid to hang out with your family! That's why I think there's gotta be way more to the story...

What's the vibe about this up in WI?

You'd have to ask KG being in a "bigger city".

Up here it was news when it first broke, but has dwindled to the mutterings among the most loyal fans.

The rest are just irritated with the whole back and forth and trying to make a story out of every little thing and seem to ignore it until something big posts.

My FIL LOVES Brett Farve and is excited for his return. My husband is on the opposite extreme and doesn't watch football. DD and I watch the games, but I'm too busy to get into the details of every little dealing. I cheer for and watch the Packers through thick and thin.

It'll be interesting to see now what stirs up today after this recent announcement though...

There are a lot of mixed feelings here in The Land of Cheese. There are those who just want it to be over with it all. Aaron Rodgers fans want Favre to just go away. Favre fans want them to all go away. Most of us are just tired of the media trying to wring every last drop of story out of what is rapidly becoming a non-story.Even the Rodgers fans grudgingly know that last year, the Packers were one game away from the big dance and that the very best chance the Packers have to go back there this year is with Favre under center. There are teams in the NFL that are drooling at the opportunity to have Favre playing for them. Any team that has everything in place, except for a QB, want him there. Leading that category is the Minnesota Vikings. They have it all - a stingy defense, a strong offense and brilliant team leadership. (They were all very successful at Wisconsin under Barry Alverez.) The only thing missing in Minnesota is a quarterback, so Favre would be a perfect fit there, and he could likely propel the Vikings into the Superbowl. (Where they'd probably lose for the fifth time.)Of course, if you try to think of other teams in the NFL that have all the pieces in place - stingy defense, strong offense, solid running backs, quality receivers but the only thing missing is a winning quarterback, I can immediately think of two - the Chicago Bears and the Green Bay Packers.ETA: With Favre, it isn't the money. He already has more than he'll ever be able to spend. He wants another ring.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
ETA: With Favre, it isn't the money. He already has more than he'll ever be able to spend. He wants another ring.

Oh, definately!
The media gets old; only making stories out of negative things, & making negative things up when they can't really find any.
My dh will be sick if Favre ended up going to the Bears or Vikings...

Take your BP medicine, KG, if you read this stupid article. I am not as big of a fan of GB as you are, but I like the team and I especially like Farve. I got irritated just reading the headline!!

There are a handful of athletes that people can look up to these days and if this is all that is on Farve's record...big whoop!
FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Never thought we'd see Favre like this

baychef said:
Take your BP medicine, KG, if you read this stupid article. I am not as big of a fan of GB as you are, but I like the team and I especially like Farve. I got irritated just reading the headline!!

There are a handful of athletes that people can look up to these days and if this is all that is on Farve's record...big whoop!
FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Never thought we'd see Favre like this

Keep in mind this was written by someone who works for FOX.

That article is ridiculous.

He is not some spoiled guy who is in it for the money..I think, and from what I have read and heard, his hand was somewhat forced to make the statement about retiring before he really had a chance to think about it, maybe that's why he was so emotional about it, maybe he was thinking to himself that had he had more time maybe he could think it through...if that is the case, it is perfectly natural for him to change his mind...I think he truly loves the game, and yes, he wants his ring. His worst performance last year was the championship game that they lost, not bad for a whole season and his age!

Maybe he DOES have a price to retire, who knows? But I doubt it. Will he stay if he isn't the starter? Prob not. And rightfully so. Aaron will get his chance, just maybe not this year. Who better to mentor under? There is no one better playing the game right now.

I applaud his wanting to come back and the Packers should welcome him with open arms, Brett is the chance to win one again! How many times did Michael Jordan retire? And come back? Several. And if GB does not want him, some other LUCKY team will get him and good for them!!!

janetupnorth said:

Amen sister!!

Brett is a big ol baby and just needs to stay retired.

I agree with Steph... from what I have read it was not his decision to retire. Plus think of how fast everything happened from the rumors to the announcement was not a lot of time to seriously consider somethings as major as retiring from being one of the best QBs in pro football!

merego said:
Brett is a big ol baby and just needs to stay retired.

Spoken like a true Bungles fan.

Brett Favre, at 50%, is still better than most of the QB's starting in the league today. Brett Favre knows it, the NFL knows it, fans know it and Ted Thompson knows it or he would have granted Favre his unconditional release.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Brett Favre, at 50%, is still better than most of the QB's starting in the league today. Brett Favre knows it, the NFL knows it, fans know it and Ted Thompson knows it or he would have granted Favre his unconditional release.
Thats the truth.................the Bears can't find a QB to save the life. He needs to go there.

PurpleAngel said:
Thats the truth.................the Bears can't find a QB to save the life. He needs to go there.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just couldn't handle that! :cry:

Da Bears can't have him!

Oh, no, no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!

Ditto that! ^^^^^^^^

Triple ditto that! ^^^^^^^^^^^ :yuck:

There's one little fly in the ointment here...no matter what Ted Thompson does, he's going to be exposed as a bad manager. One, he lets Favre play, resulting in Aaron Rodgers and bunch of other players getting upset. Two, he trades Favre, but Favre has approval rights on any trade, so he won't go to Cincinnati or Kansas City. He wants to go to Minnesota (see above about a ring) so it's up to Minnesota to pay the price - let's see how badly they they want a Superbowl.Thompson has mishandled this whole soap opera from the very beginning and no matter what he does now, he's wrong. He looks like a buffoon. If he lets Favre play in Green Bay, he causes rancor in the locker room and on the team, resulting in him looking like the dumbest GM in football. If he trades Favre to the Vikings, he'll look like the dumbest GM in football.As for Favre wanting money? He turned down $20 million to stay retired and sit on his butt. Does that sound like a guy who only wants money? Of course not - he wants another ring, and he knows the best chance he has is in Green Bay or Minnesota.

Man, I would weep with joy if he went to the Vikings. I was born and raised there and will be a Viking fan until the day I die, no matter how many Superbowls they lose. ;) But I think with Favre they'd have a fighting chance.

I would be ecstatic if Farve came to the Vikings! It may actually get me cheering for my hometown team!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Spoken like a true Bungles fan.

You know it, the Bengals are the worst and 1/2 the team keeps getting arrested, it is embarassing. I have never been a big bengals fan or paul brown fan, not alot of people in the Nati like Paul Brown , he has run that team into the ground. And then there are the Cincinnati Reds, let's not even go there, but if we want to talk about babies, Hi Ken Griffey Jr!!!! I know Ken and he is the biggest whiny a$$ ever, always has been, always will be and he was never a good people person. Not sure why they evernbrought him back, but that is a whole other thread!!! :)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
There's one little fly in the ointment here...no matter what Ted Thompson does, he's going to be exposed as a bad manager. One, he lets Favre play, resulting in Aaron Rodgers and bunch of other players getting upset. Two, he trades Favre, but Favre has approval rights on any trade, so he won't go to Cincinnati or Kansas City. He wants to go to Minnesota (see above about a ring) so it's up to Minnesota to pay the price - let's see how badly they they want a Superbowl.

Thompson has mishandled this whole soap opera from the very beginning and no matter what he does now, he's wrong. He looks like a buffoon. If he lets Favre play in Green Bay, he causes rancor in the locker room and on the team, resulting in him looking like the dumbest GM in football. If he trades Favre to the Vikings, he'll look like the dumbest GM in football.

As for Favre wanting money? He turned down $20 million to stay retired and sit on his butt. Does that sound like a guy who only wants money? Of course not - he wants another ring, and he knows the best chance he has is in Green Bay or Minnesota.

He sure wont get that ring if he comes to Cincy, everyone knows that!!

merego said:
He sure wont get that ring if he comes to Cincy, everyone knows that!!

Ha! Or Kansas City!

I hear Aaron Rodgers and Ted Thompson contacted Tonya Harding and Jeff Gilhooley to have them kneecap Favre.

This is why I'm a MN Wild fan... :)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I hear Aaron Rodgers and Ted Thompson contacted Tonya Harding and Jeff Gilhooley to have them kneecap Favre.
Damn, don't give them the idea!!!

In any other year, I would have to say he wouldn't get the ring with the Giants either....but who can (or who would want to...except for Pats fans) forget the last SUPERbowl when the Giants overcame the undefeated! EEK...I still get giddy when I think about that game!!!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

Let the Bears have him before you kneecap him

Update: Favre went into a meeting with Coach McCarthy at 6:00 PM. They were then supposed to meet with the other quarterbacks and McCarthy was supposed to have a press conference afterward. The two are still meeting, three hours later. What does that mean? I dunno. It means they're still meeting, I guess.The Packers have also hired former White House press secretary, Ari Fleischer, to try to deal with the PR mess they have on their hands.Yikes.

This is why I love hockey- less drama and for the most part when they retire, they stay retired... right Gretzky? :)

Kitchen Diva said:
This is why I love hockey- less drama and for the most part when they retire, they stay retired... right Gretzky? :)

They've already had their knees whacked!!!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Update: Favre went into a meeting with Coach McCarthy at 6:00 PM. They were then supposed to meet with the other quarterbacks and McCarthy was supposed to have a press conference afterward.

The two are still meeting, three hours later. What does that mean? I dunno. It means they're still meeting, I guess.

The Packers have also hired former White House press secretary, Ari Fleischer, to try to deal with the PR mess they have on their hands.

Yikes.

Seems silly to have all this drama over a QB. I know he is good, but come on..... The big news here is cry baby Chad Johnson is back to practicing~ who cares.. the bengals stink anyways.... What happened o the days of when players played for the love of the game and it wasn't about money and drama.... Bring back the Chris Collinsworth's!!

Actually, I think Brett does play for the love of a game - this whole drama seems to have been cooked up by his agent. Favre does hold all the power, Thompson looks like an idiot for letting go this far. It's his job to put the best team on the field that he can, not to put his personal stamp on the team by eschewing what was already here. It just seems like Cinderella all over again with Aaron Rodgers being the unwitting ugly sister.

I believe he plays for the love of the game too; otherwise he'd have taken the money to retire & he'd be at home now.

lacychef said:
I believe he plays for the love of the game too; otherwise he'd have taken the money to retire & he'd be at home now.

Or, he cannot separate his "who" from his "do" and defines who he is by football alone... Hmmmmmmm

I think Favre has been treated awful by the Packs. I think as much as he has given the game and them, that they owed him the right to decide to come back without all this hupla. I mean, it's not like he is some no-namer who doesn't know how to play wanting to be part of the team?

I think it would serve the Packers right, if he went to another team and beat the mess out of them during the season or in the Super Bowl! HA!

I hope he is not treated differently/bad by his teammates b/c all of this mess when he comes to training camp today.

Well, the Packers are on the practice field, and guess who isn't there?

Favre has left the building.

There apprears to be only one team that wants to trade for Favre, that he will accept a trade to. That would be the Minnesota Vikings.

Ted Thompson has apparently been locked in a closet to avoid the press. He has all the PR charm of Joseph Stalin and is just about as well liked around here.

If Favre ends up playing for the Vikings, Thompson will have committed professional suicide. First, he will be tarred and feathered, then run out of Green Bay on a rail. No other pro football team will ever hire him because who wants to hire a moron who let his best player go to a division rival and beat their brains out?

I suspect that what is really going to happen is that the Packers will keep him on the roster and put him on the inactive list. That is about the only out the team has.

Wow, I can't believe he's not there....he can't go to the Vikings:cry:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Well, the Packers are on the practice field, and guess who isn't there?

Favre has left the building.

There apprears to be only one team that wants to trade for Favre, that he will accept a trade to. That would be the Minnesota Vikings.

Ted Thompson has apparently been locked in a closet to avoid the press. He has all the PR charm of Joseph Stalin and is just about as well liked around here.

If Favre ends up playing for the Vikings, Thompson will have committed professional suicide. First, he will be tarred and feathered, then run out of Green Bay on a rail. No other pro football team will ever hire him because who wants to hire a moron who let his best player go to a division rival and beat their brains out?

I suspect that what is really going to happen is that the Packers will keep him on the roster and put him on the inactive list. That is about the only out the team has.

That's just a crappy way to treat him! I say Go Vikings!

I don't think even Ted Thompson is stupid enough to trade him to the Viqueens. I suspect he'll end up in Tampa Bay.

Just sayin'.

Ted Thompson's name is still Mudd around here, either way.

Kitchen Diva said:
Or, he cannot separate his "who" from his "do" and defines who he is by football alone... Hmmmmmmm

Kirchen Diva...I had to laugh..not at you, but after I read your comment my eyes just traveled to your atavar and it seemed as if Lucy herself was giving Chuck advice!!

This entire event is like a bad dream (aka, nightmare). Everyday you get up, the nightmare takes another twist and turn. What a crappy thing.

lacychef said:
Wow, I can't believe he's not there....he can't go to the Vikings:cry:

Ya know, the Vikings are not all that bad... C'mon I'm from MN... :)

baychef said:
Kirchen Diva...I had to laugh..not at you, but after I read your comment my eyes just traveled to your atavar and it seemed as if Lucy herself was giving Chuck advice!!

This entire event is like a bad dream (aka, nightmare). Everyday you get up, the nightmare takes another twist and turn. What a crappy thing.

Yes, Lucy is so wise beyond her years, isn't she? :)

ESPN scroll said that they went and spoke with Farve and his family today. Hmmmm...if I was Thompson, I wouldn't eat or drink on that visit!!!

The coach said that Farve was in the mindset of feeling like he couldn't move forward with the Packers and then Farve wanting to talk with the Buck and Ears.

Kitchen Diva said:
Ya know, the Vikings are not all that bad... C'mon I'm from MN... :)

Well....not ALL Vikings then!

<h2>1. Will Brett Favre be starting for the Green Bay Packers again?</h2><p>No, it has been announced that Aaron Rodgers will remain the starting quarterback for the Packers. Brett Favre will have to compete for the starting job.</p><h2>2. Have there been any trade offers for Brett Favre?</h2><p>Yes, there have been attempts to trade him, but none have been successful so far.</p><h2>3. Will there be another special Sports Illustrated issue for Brett Favre's retirement?</h2><p>It is possible, as Brett Favre's retirement has been a highly publicized event in the past. However, nothing has been confirmed yet.</p><h2>4. Will there be Brett Favre retirement bubble gum cards for kids to trade?</h2><p>It is possible that there may be special edition Brett Favre retirement bubble gum cards released, but nothing has been announced at this time.</p><h2>5. Is Brett Favre going to be on the cover of Madden NFL again?</h2><p>It is possible, as Brett Favre has been featured on the cover of Madden NFL in the past. However, nothing has been confirmed for future releases.</p>

Related to Brett Favre Returns: NFL Reinstates Iconic Quarterback for Green Bay Packers

1. Will Brett Favre be starting for the Green Bay Packers again?

No, it has been announced that Aaron Rodgers will remain the starting quarterback for the Packers. Brett Favre will have to compete for the starting job.

2. Have there been any trade offers for Brett Favre?

Yes, there have been attempts to trade him, but none have been successful so far.

3. Will there be another special Sports Illustrated issue for Brett Favre's retirement?

It is possible, as Brett Favre's retirement has been a highly publicized event in the past. However, nothing has been confirmed yet.

4. Will there be Brett Favre retirement bubble gum cards for kids to trade?

It is possible that there may be special edition Brett Favre retirement bubble gum cards released, but nothing has been announced at this time.

5. Is Brett Favre going to be on the cover of Madden NFL again?

It is possible, as Brett Favre has been featured on the cover of Madden NFL in the past. However, nothing has been confirmed for future releases.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
letscook04
Back