• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Been Thinking of Joining Pampered Chef....

In summary, Cheryl is considering using the kitchen in her basement suite as a "Pampered Chef" kitchen to host parties for potential hosts. She has gathered a lot of information and ideas from a website and is looking for feedback from anyone who has their business set up in a similar way. Some members of the Pampered Chef community have shared their positive experiences with using a designated demo kitchen and offer support and advice for Cheryl's idea.
PCWOOL
On Dec. 1st we moved into a new home which has a basement suite that we are not going to rent out since we are using the whole house for our family. I started thinking about what a shame it is for the big kitchen to go to waste in the former suite. That's when I started thinking about joining Pampered Chef! (I've always been a fan of PC products and have many!) I saw this web-site and thought it would be a great place to get some advice about my idea. I'm thinking of using the downstairs kitchen as a "Pampered Chef" kitchen. Rather than potential hosts have parties at their homes, it would be held in mine. There is a separate entrance, livingroom, kitchen and bathroom that could be part of the business. What do you think about this idea? I have gathered so much information and ideas from this wonderful site and would value your feedback. I would especially love to hear from anyone who already has their business set up this way.

Cheryl

Hi, Cheryl:

What a great benefit to offer your guests and hosts to be! I'm sure that offering this would certainly sway the minds of some potential hosts who feel that they don't have the "right" kitchen for a show (although there really is no such thing :) !!). You may find, however, that some people will feel more comfortable in their own homes, so as long as you are open to that possibility, I'm sure you'll be successful.

If you have any questions as you are making your decision, you can contact me directly or post them on the board - this is a very helpful group!

Mary

What a great way to use the space! I have not done this, but there is an upper level Director about 4 miles from my house who specifically renovated her basement (with an outside entrance) to be a demo kitchen. She seems to have no problem with the host and guests coming to her test kitchen for the show (the host doesn't have to clean!) and she can show alot more product because it is always displayed. If you have any questions or need someone to help get you started I would love to have you on my team and see you succeed!

Lori Gilbert
Director with The Pampered Chef
[email protected]

That sounds like it would be perfect. I was just thinking to myself the other day how convenient it would be to have a room just for all my pc stuff so I could organize it a little better (I have 4 small boys and a small house to boot) so when I win the lottery, (I forgot you have to buy the tickets first :rolleyes: ;) ) that would be an awesome idea, I think I would be able to get more business around here if I had my own place to do shows from instead of only being able to do it at the host's house and renting a building for open houses which the 2 that I have had flopped. That way I wouldn't be out the $ for renting the building.

Anyway I say Go for it!!!

PCWOOL said:
On Dec. 1st we moved into a new home which has a basement suite that we are not going to rent out since we are using the whole house for our family. I started thinking about what a shame it is for the big kitchen to go to waste in the former suite. That's when I started thinking about joining Pampered Chef! (I've always been a fan of PC products and have many!) I saw this web-site and thought it would be a great place to get some advice about my idea. I'm thinking of using the downstairs kitchen as a "Pampered Chef" kitchen. Rather than potential hosts have parties at their homes, it would be held in mine. There is a separate entrance, livingroom, kitchen and bathroom that could be part of the business. What do you think about this idea? I have gathered so much information and ideas from this wonderful site and would value your feedback. I would especially love to hear from anyone who already has their business set up this way.

Cheryl

Wow, that is so cool! I'm jealous. I wish I had a full kitchen in my basement. We did just finish ours and it has a nice bar with granite countertops and a great work space/office area (THANKS to PC! :) ) so someday I hope to run cluster meetings and stuff down there (when I make it into the big leagues!). I say go for it! What do you have to lose? That's an incredible asset to your business. I like to offer hosts the option of using my home for a Cooking Show if they feel theirs is too small or they live too far from most their friends, etc. You'd really be able to host nice shows in your lower level! You'd be able to have some great open houses and "Product Preview" shows when the new products come out or you do your grand opening.

This job provides so much flexibility, it's amazing. Myself, I never pictured doing anything like this because I hated to cook and hated speaking in front of others. I got into this to have a break from time to time from being home with my son. I now have two young kids and I love how this job fits into all the other obligations. Plus, all the perks that come with it besides a commission check are so cool. Before I started, I didn't even realize how well PC treats its consultants. The "little" incentives throughout the year are great and the big incentive trips are amazing. The host program is so generous, so I can honestly say ours is the best one out there. AND right now is a great time to give it some thought because there's an awesome promotion for new consultants between now and the end of February. Are you familiar with it? Our soon-to-be released Executive Cookware is the feature and the stuff looks amazing. Anyway, I can go on and on, but you've found the right place to get ideas, inspiration and feedback. I love this site! As you can tell from the amount of time I've spent on here. :eek: Feel free to post more questions. If you want any other feedback or help in weighing the pros and cons, feel free to email me if you want! Good luck in your decision. I say give it a try...you never know what it might lead to!

Thank you for your words of encouragement everyone. I've never been to a party at a consultants home before, so wasn't sure how the idea would be received. Personally if I had the option as a host I would take it...no cleaning up BEFORE or AFTER would be incentive enough for me!

I'm a little worried about the six shows that are required to sign up though. We only moved to the city a little while ago and I don't know a lot of people. I would feel a bit ackward asking someone I've just met to host a party.....But maybe if I asked them to have it at my house, I wouldn't feel that way :rolleyes: I don't know. I'm feeling like I need to hold off for awhile till I get to know some more people, and get to know the ones I have met a little better. I don't want to scare away the few social contacts I have :eek:

Ask around before you startI became a PC consultant in August '05. Before I signed my agreement, I asked around to my family and friends to see if they would be willing to help me jumpstart my business. They were only too happy to help!

Once you let people know that they would be helping you get started, they are much more likely to book shows. Have an open house in your wonderful downstairs kitchen and invite everyone you know to stop by and nibble on some fantastic Pampered Chef recipes and "Christen" your new PC kitchen.

This site is a great resource to get all sorts of ideas for shows and bookings.

And I think you only need to do 4 shows to qualify, or $1250 in sales - whatever comes first.

Good luck with your business! You definitely have a leg up on some of us with that wonderful demo kitchen opportunity!

Jeanmarie Toler
Pampered Chef Consultant
Brentwood, Ca
[email protected]

PCWOOL said:
Thank you for your words of encouragement everyone. I've never been to a party at a consultants home before, so wasn't sure how the idea would be received. Personally if I had the option as a host I would take it...no cleaning up BEFORE or AFTER would be incentive enough for me!

I'm a little worried about the six shows that are required to sign up though. We only moved to the city a little while ago and I don't know a lot of people. I would feel a bit ackward asking someone I've just met to host a party.....But maybe if I asked them to have it at my house, I wouldn't feel that way :rolleyes: I don't know. I'm feeling like I need to hold off for awhile till I get to know some more people, and get to know the ones I have met a little better. I don't want to scare away the few social contacts I have :eek:

The show requirement is only 4 shows at the minimun of 150 each or a total of 1250 in overall sales. Now is the time to join because they are giving new consultants the 12 inch family size skillet if you join and get your 4 shows in by the end of your ss month or by march 31 whichever comes first. I would be glad to talk to you more if you have questions. If you joined now you would also be involved in the PanORama where you could earn more free cookware. Thanks, feel free to email me at [email protected] Kim

I can tell you that from my experience when I started, I was pleasantly surprised how supportive everyone was. Sure, I had great friends and a mom who were more than happy to host a show for me so I could start building my business. But, I did step out of my comfort zone and ask people I wasn't as close to. And pretty much everyone had a show for me at some point in my first 6 months or so. Some didn't do it right away, and that was fine with me because then I knew I would have some shows on my calendar down the line a little bit. You'd be surprised how supportive some people are, even when you don't know them that well. I've gotten to know some of my acquaintances so much better when they hosted a show for me. And when I put it out there as they'd be doing me a favor, they were willing to do it. Now, it's really that WE are doing THEM a favor because of the magnificent host program, but it's hard for them to see that if they've never hosted a PC show before. I guarantee you'll get people saying "Wow, I had NO idea I'd get so much stuff!" then they are so glad they hosted a show! I've had a number of my first six hosts become repeat hosts even.

The previous poster was right....you do only need to do four shows or $1250 in sales to "qualify", but you will be asked for your first six shows when you order your Starter kit. I would try my best to get those lined up because I really think it gets your business off to a stronger start. And Catalog Shows can count too, so you can even ask out of town friends and family to host those for you and that's another way to add to your business. It's also a great way to meet new people...put up flyers in grocery stores, carry a tote with the catalog showing, offer to do lunch time express shows at businesses, etc and those are other ways to get your name out there. I joined our "welcome wagon" type thing for a year and got tons of names from there. I stopped using it because I just didn't have time to follow up with everyone, but I"m going to go back to that list and contact people because I'll always have it. Good luck to you! :)

Sounds like a terrific idea! And just to clarify...you "qualify" with 4 shows or $1250 in sales, however, the contractual obligation is 6 shows. Qualifying and meeting the obligations are separate things. Qualifying is more for the person recruiting you.

As for being nervous about 6 shows, keep in mind that catalog and internet shows are easy (I've got one about to break $600!). And I was nervous about that too. I was really suprised at the positive response though. I started by doing a show at my home for co-workers, and a joint one for my monther and sister (that was 400 miles away but good practice and it counted!). Right away I got two takers on a catalog show and one friend offered to host one in February (I just started in January by the way). That means I just need to line up one more show and I'm on my way! I'm not in this for a full-time career (I couldn't replace my current income with PC)...it's more of a hobby and a way to earn myself a great set of cookware. In order to get more bookings, definately look around the boards for lead-generating ideas. These people are amazing with their creativity and dedication to our business!

My husband has already been amazed at how easy it is for me and how much I enjoy what I'm doing. Plus the commission I've earned from just three shows has paid for my start-up costs three times over! They weren't kidding about the fact that this stuff sells itself!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

lyneya said:
Sounds like a terrific idea! And just to clarify...you "qualify" with 4 shows or $1250 in sales, however, the contractual obligation is 6 shows. Qualifying and meeting the obligations are separate things. Qualifying is more for the person recruiting you.

As for being nervous about 6 shows, keep in mind that catalog and internet shows are easy (I've got one about to break $600!). And I was nervous about that too. I was really suprised at the positive response though. I started by doing a show at my home for co-workers, and a joint one for my monther and sister (that was 400 miles away but good practice and it counted!). Right away I got two takers on a catalog show and one friend offered to host one in February (I just started in January by the way). That means I just need to line up one more show and I'm on my way! I'm not in this for a full-time career (I couldn't replace my current income with PC)...it's more of a hobby and a way to earn myself a great set of cookware. In order to get more bookings, definately look around the boards for lead-generating ideas. These people are amazing with their creativity and dedication to our business!

My husband has already been amazed at how easy it is for me and how much I enjoy what I'm doing. Plus the commission I've earned from just three shows has paid for my start-up costs three times over! They weren't kidding about the fact that this stuff sells itself!

Good luck with whatever you decide!
wow, that's really awesome! You're off to a great start. And you bring up a good point, the internet shows are an easy addition to your business! Especially with the new wedding registries coming out in March, that will be such an easy way to build your business without doing much. I personally love my website. Sure they've changed some of the ways you can advertise, but I never put myself out there on the internet to advertise anyway. I just include my website on EVERYTHING. I encourage hosts to use it and about half probably do. But the ones who do get a good amount of extra orders for their shows, so it's paid for itself time and time again.

Keep up the good work "Lyneya!!!"

You don't have to do that all in your first month. When I signed in August I made up two shows dates a month for 3 months. TPC is not going to hold you to those shows, I thought I only wanted to do 2 shows a month, so that's why I made up those dates. I knew family and friends would host so I wasn't worried. 10 mins. after my director left my house, my neighbor booked a show, I did a coming out party a week after my neighbors. I qualified 3 weeks after I signed my contract. I booked five parties from my coming out party. It was a lot of fun, and I would reccomend anyone doing it. This is the perfect time to sign because of the free pan. I signed on and earned the roasting pan for free, and I love mine. :D

PCWOOL said:

Cheryl

You know, my director had her basement fixed up that way so she could have our meetings there and do demos. It is really nice. Just remember, anything is possible. I used to sell Mary Kay and there was a consultant that didn't drive!! She only did shows at her house and I heard she did really well.

Thank you everyone! I didn't realize you could do catalogue shows from other cities, etc. I definitely have friends and family who live elsewhere that would support me in this. I would like to find someone to sign up with in Victoria, BC...do I just contact PC and they will put me in touch with someone? Also, I am interested in having a really supportive recruiter (aren't we all! :) ). Someone who has monthly meetings (or is that a director's job?) and someone who will be there for me after I sign up..not just before! Some people are just better at that type of thing than others! Right now, I'm just trying to get an idea of how this all works. What a great source of information this forum is!

Thanks again
Cheryl

You might even look in the Consultant Directory above to see if there are any consultants somewhat in your area. Or make a post on Canadian's Corner through here. Even if you find someone who isn't the closest by to you, they can try to get you hooked up with a Hospitality Director and that's whose meetings you can attend so you have a support close by. Congrats on making the decision to do it! That's exciting! :) You can contact the HO if you don't locate someone you click with here. Assuming they do it the same way the US does, they'll locate a director in your area and refer you to them.

Last edited:
PCWOOL said:
I saw this web-site and thought it would be a great place to get some advice about my idea. I'm thinking of using the downstairs kitchen as a "Pampered Chef" kitchen. Rather than potential hosts have parties at their homes, it would be held in mine.

This may have been said already...I've only scanned responses, so I apologize! It wasn't the same context, but just last week I heard someone discussing something sort of similar for their first few shows. My director pointed out that you may get better attendance at your hosts' homes. Guests may be a little unnerved about going to a stranger's home, whereas they'd willingly go support a friend at her house. Attendance is KEY to building your business, so you'd have to come up with a really good marketing strategy. I would try it both ways and see what works out best.

Becoming a ConsultantHi there. (Forgive me - I'm new to Message Boards & PC) I've been to one kitchen show and hosted my own show yesterday. I had a blast at both & have fallen in love with all the PC goodies. Being new to town and a recent newlywed, I was looking for a way to meet other people in my area. I think I've found the solution-becoming a PC IKC. I had one concern. What happens if you don't meet the "contractional obligation?" Everyone says how easy it is to meet the "requirements," but has anyone ever NOT met them?

Your only obligation once you sign is to stay active. That is submitt 200 in commisionable sales in the current month and the month previous. For example say I submitted 100 dollars in the month of January(has to be 150 to count as a show), then by the end of February I have to submitt another 100 in commisonable sales to stay active. Or submitt 200 every other month.

Reasons to stay active: every time you go in active you loose career sales, this makes it harder to recieve your raise at 15,000. I don't know about you, but for me if I stop doing something for a little bit, it is harder to get back into the groove.

To become qualified you need to submitt 4 (150) shows or 1250 in sales and if you sign right now and qualify in your 1st month you will get the family skillet for free, it is well worth it. This is one of the best times to sign. When I signed last year I earned the roasting pan for free. You can start collecting orders from friends and familys one show. A family member can have a show. A neighbor can have a show. My neighbor has done 2 shows for me.

I would talk with the consultant who has done your party you can use 20 or 40 dollars of your free credit to put towards your kit, but if there is any questions that I can answer feel free to post or email me. :D

Yea, we talked about applying credit towards my kit.
My husband and I were just a little nervous. I think it would be great, just don't want to sign up and then things not go so great, and end up owing a ton of mula to PC...

The only thing you are really out is the cost of the kit. I tell my recruits to try four shows if it is still not workign than give it up. This is an awesome oppertunity to have a flexible schedule, and still earn money. My biggest thing was I no longer had to ask for time off to go camping or spending time with my family. For the first time I have had time to do my yearly yard work and not always looking at the clock to see when I have to go to work. It's an awesome oppertunity, I just wish I would of done it sooner.
I am finishing my teaching credential, have been married 2 1/2 years and have a 1 1/2 year old son. This is perfect for me and I have met a lot of great people and rekindled some relationships with some people I haven't talked with in years. :D :D

Being a new consultant myself, I can honestly say I have been VERY pleasantly surprised. I had put off signing up for almost 6 months because my husband and I both had reservations about me being able to dedicate the time and money towards PC.

Well, I've gone ahead and signed up and February is my SS Month #1. Because of complications with my pregnancy, I'm on bed rest, so right now I'm restricted to Catalog shows only.

Did this damper anything.. NO WAY!

I've got 1 show currently going, 2 more shows scheduled to start in a matter of days and I'm working on getting my 4th show booked. My first show is going GREAT! It hasn't closed yet but I've already made enough commission to make up for the $90 for my kit. I promised my husband that I would put the first $100 I make in the bank (after the $90 for the kit). I was planning on setting up a website after my first 3 months, however due to how well things are going my husband and I decided it would be in my best interest to go ahead and set it up now - because at this rate, I will have my other $100 for savings by this same show and the other 2 shows will be purely profit.

I can honestly say this has been the BEST experience in my life and I've truly enjoyed it. I can only imagine how much fun I will have in the future when I can actually get out of my house and do kitchen shows.

I hope that you get as much out of PC as I do.. I LOVE IT!

You gals have been a huge help. I'm going to apply my credit and get my kit. I think it will be a lot of fun. Who knows, I may have a future post saying I hit the Plus Bonus. :D

Jonna and Jessica,
Welcome to the PC familiy!!! That's so exciting. It is amazing how making a decision to give this a try changes LIVES! I know it did for me. I was also very pleasantly surprised how quickly I earned back my $90 (I earned $120 commission on my very first show, so that didn't take long!). That's why I decided to start sharing this opportunity with others-because it made such a huge difference in my life I wanted others to experience the same thing. In no way did I get into this thinking I'd ever want to become a director.

Good luck to you both! You're starting at a great time and like most people who've said it, you'll probably wish you did it sooner! :)

Last edited:
Thanks, Becky! If I can say one thing about PC, the "PC Family" is about the most cheerful, positive, group of folks I have ever encountered! :) You all have been helpful and encouraging. It's great to know starting off, I have a good "support base".

just starting!I have just ordered my kit on thursday.I am so excited that i want it to come today,but I know it won't.And I am a little nervous.Only a few people are behind me on my decision to sell PC.But I love the product myself.And I am very talkative and I am a stay at home mom and I just wanted to have something for myself.How do I get my family behind me so it doesn't hinder my sales? :confused:

That's so exciting! Congrats on becoming a consultant! Did you pick February as your Super Starter Month 1? If so, they'll send your kit right away. If you chose March, it'll ship out February 1st, which isn't far away anyway. How exciting! I don't know if you've seen the file "what to do while you wait for your kit" but it's helpful. If I find it, I'll go back and attach it.

As for your family and friends becoming more supportive, hopefully that'll happen over time. If you're anything like me, they'll see how much this experience will change you that they'd have to be excited for you. YOu sound like me, my son was 15 months old when I started and I really wanted to get out of the house every once and awhile, have something for myself and interact with adults. It was perfect! It's given me great balance in my life and it's provided more income for my family than I imagined it ever would. Why are people not thrilled with your decision? Do they think it's not a stable or reputable business? There was a really good book released last summer that was written by the founder and it talks about how she started the business from scratch 25 years ago. I'd suggest reading it and have your family read it. It really demonstrates how this business can impact your life in positive ways. I'd just say give it time and when your enjoyment and excitement are apparent, they'll see that. Good luck as you start your business!!!! :D

Attachments

• what to do while waiting for kit to arrive.doc
    28 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
No I picked march as my SS month. Do you know how long it takes to get the kit? I have a few people wanting to book shows but I don't know when I will have my kit. Also thanks for the advise about my family.I figure that they will come around.They all want me to go back to school for my teaching degree but I have a 2 year old and a 6 year old and I want a little more time with them.My husband works out of town and I travel alot. And I know that I can sell PC to pay off everything so I can afford to go to school.thanks :eek:

YOur starter kit ships out UPS and if they send it out Feb. 1st, I would think you'll get it by the following week. That'll be so fun when you get it! :)

Thanks!!!!You have been very helpful.I have just recieved my consultant number and password.Now I am really excited to get started. :D

Amber - My 1st SS month will be March as well. So, we're kinda in the same boat. My husband was a little leary at 1st - we just moved to a small town and don't really know many people. But, get this, I'm so EXCITED. I joined MySpace.com and did a search for other married gals around my age in my area and just sent them a message. The 1st girl replied & she's part of a group of stay at home mom's network. So, right now, I haven't even gotten my kit and I've got 3 shows lined up!

Jessica:

What a creative way to find hosts! You sound like you are going to have a very successful business - welcome to the family!

Mary

Thanks!!!!I have been trying to figure out how to find people that are not in my little circle.So i am going to try that. :)

The butterflies are starting to kick in. Can I really get up in front of strangers and present? What if I burn something, what if the receipe isn't good? Does anyone know of a fool proof receipe using items in the Starter Kit? My Recruiter told me that you can only use the Pampered Chef products during the Kitchen Show. :confused:

Jessica Sullivan said:
The butterflies are starting to kick in. Can I really get up in front of strangers and present? What if I burn something, what if the receipe isn't good? Does anyone know of a fool proof receipe using items in the Starter Kit? My Recruiter told me that you can only use the Pampered Chef products during the Kitchen Show. :confused:
I still mess recipes up! I drop things, I throw food by mistake, I forget to bring ingredients when I'm the one supplying everything for the recipe. The list goes on. It just shows others that we're human. If an "oops" happens during your show, just laugh about it and say something like "See, they'll let ANYONE do this job!" or "I'm a Pampered Chef, not a perfect chef!" :)

Welcome Jessica & Amber - to Pampered Chef and to these boards. You've joined at a great time! I can remember the butterflies! My first show was at a good friends and about 18 people were there...I demo'ed the Taco Ring. I just went around the room and had everyone name their favorite PC product and if they didn't have any PC, I had them tell us about their yuckiest kitchen item. It got people laughing and talking about PC and before I knew it, my demo was over! And my GUESTS help sell things...I've found that getting your guests involved really makes for a good, fun and relaxed show. Here is a link for an awesome recipe site if you haven't had this sent to you already. Bookmark it! The Garden Ranch Pizza is perfect for your first demo recipe and often recommened. It uses products in your SS kit....be sure to practice at home on your family. It's great and super easy. Let me know if there is anything at all you need! I'm at work all day but always at my computer...and Amber - where is Marble? I'm in New Bern! Good luck at your shows and have fun with your starter kit - it was like Christmas Day when I got mine....so much fun! :)

http://www.joycesfinecooking.com/pamperedchefs.htm

hey cindy!Marble is close to the Tennesee line.You are about 7 hours away from me.My husband works away from home and we were in New Bern about this time last year. :D

Jessica,
Being nervous and messing up makes PC look more realistic to others! Don't EVER try and be perfect.

Jessica, congratulations on making one of the best decisions you will ever :p :p make, joining the PC family. I just finished my super starter month one in January. The Garden Ranch Pizza is a great starter recipe. One thing I did learn was it was easier for me to make it in the large stoneware bar pan, (if you can borrow it from your director or another consultant) It just seemed easier to get the dough to stay rolled out to the sides, and not retract towards the middle. Also, one thing I told my guests was that if their children did not especially like "veggies", on their pizza, just to chop the broc. and carrots very fine in the food chopper and call it "Special seasoning". They seemed to appreciate that idea, knowing that they could slip the veggies into other dishes also as "special seasoning". I was much more nervous doing my show in front of my friends, but not nearly so in front of strangers. Just have fun, don't sweat it, and you will do great. Remember to offer the PC opportunity to everyone, you don't want to eliminate anyone. You may be very surprised who will be interested in joining the PC family with you. You go girl!!!! ;)

Amber,
I just sent you a private message. Isn't Marble right next to Murphy and Andrews? I lived in Murphy. Went to Marble Springs Baptist church.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• tsmarr
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
jcsmilez
  • Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebPC