• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

BBQ Pizza Pan Dough Options: Homemade or Store-Bought?

In summary, the first time we used Wal-Mart's just-add-water dough and it was pretty good. The 2nd time, we bought a box of Jiffy mix and it was a disaster. We added the 1/2 cup of water and it was too much liquid. We make our own dough, but it's nice to know there is a place to buy a dough if time is short.
ChefPeg
Gold Member
What kind of dough do you use with the BBQ PP? I couldn't find any frozen dough and didn't want to use the Pillsbury-in-a-tube stuff because it's rectangular. I could've made homemade dough from scratch but that takes time so the first time I got a package of Wal-Mart's just-add-water stuff and it was pretty good. The 2nd time, I bought a box of Jiffy mix...what a disaster! I added the 1/2 cup of water and it was too much liquid. Impossible to transfer to the pan.

I make my own.....but....I've heard that ones like...Bobolli etc are good. Schwan's has a frozen pizza dough that is excellent! I just thaw it all the way first.

We have been using a "ball of dough in a bag". It is already made. We find it near the pre-made pizzas and sandwiches at the store.

The first time, we had to ask. They were there, just in a corner and they were not obvious.

I think this is basically the frozen dough that had already been thawed.

It makes an awesome crust!

Yesterday, sent DH to a different store for some. He was able to find it (on his own!) and they even had a wheat variety.

At WalMart, in the frozen bread section, there is a pizza dough called Peppie's, it's round and works perfectly. They're small so you have to look carefully for them! Just thaw in stainless bowl with the lid on.

I just get an oiled pizza dough right from my local pizza place :)

LI Chick said:

The luxury of living on Long Island!

LI Chick said:
Really? I'm another LI chick. Where do you get your dough?

I usually make my own dough in my bread machine, but it's nice to know there is a place I can pick up a dough if time is short.

I've just been using the "add water" kind (like Jiffy although I haven't used Jiffy yet). You could have tried to add a little more flour to make it less wet.

Anyone seen gluten free dough available in a store or restaurant?

yankeeinontario said:

No, but I've seen packaged gluten-free mix in the health food section of my local supermarket and at health food stores.

Most pizzerias on LI sell dough ($3 - $4 at most) and it beats the stuff that is sold in the refrigerated section of the supermarket.

Many pizza chains sell dough, not just in LI.

My local pizza chain sells gluten free shells for $5. They are far more light and fragile than Bobboli though. I don't know where they get them from.

I found out today that I can purchase a case of 19 frozen pizza doughs for just $20 from Costco! It's the same stuff they use in their deli.

If you have a Wegman's in the area they sell a ball of dough that will make two thin crust pizza (which I think is better for charcoal grills) and it was under $4.00 for whole wheat.
I did two pizzas for a large show and did one in the BBQ Roasting Pan and one on the BBQ Pizza pan both turned out great and used one pack of WEgmans dough

PamperedchefDaly said:
Really? I'm another LI chick. Where do you get your dough?

I usually make my own dough in my bread machine, but it's nice to know there is a place I can pick up a dough if time is short.

Just go to your local pizzeria and ask for a pizza dough oiled NOT FLOURED. Should charge you around $3.50 for a dough. :)

Thanks to a previous post somewhere on this site, I went to Sam's this week and bought a case of 20 24-ounce frozen oiled pizza dough balls for 15.77 (no tax). I'm guessing each one will make two crusts so that's a much better deal than pillsbury!

I love this site and all the shared information!

Shari in TX

yankeeinontario said:

I replied earlier that I hadn't, but then just now remembered there's a restaurant here called Boston's (chain restaurant, I do believe) that has gluten-free pizza on their menu. We ordered one once and it was obviously a pre-packaged, pre-formed crust they got from somewhere. Small enough to fit on our BBQ PP too, IIRC. They might be willing to sell them.

PILLSBURY IS MY FRIEND!

Super easy - the dough does not snap back it stays in place and tastes great on the grill - I use the think one

I make my own. Its very simple and easy to do. The recipe below makes two crusts. I divide them and then freeze them. I then defrost one before a show and take it with me in a thermal tote just in case the host purchased the wrong kind.

Ingredients

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

Directions

1. Combine flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Mix in oil and warm water.
2. Knead until thoroughly mixed.
3. Form into ball and coat lightly with oil
4. Place into bowl and cover with warm wet towel
5. Let rise in a warm area for 1 hour.
6. Divide into 2 balls.
7. Freeze or use right away.
8. If frozen, defrost and let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before using

You can add herbs or seasonings of choice to "spice" things up if you would like - also, this recipe makes a great whole wheat crust (just use whole wheat flour).

Hope this helps. Don't knock it till you try it! It really is easy to do!:thumbup:

We live in a largely rural area and don't have easy access to some of the large chain stores mentioned in earlier posts. Our group of consultants has discovered that the Walmart Great Value pizza dough mix works really well. We also oil the pizza pan before use, and we use flour (for the most part) not corn meal to roll it out. I even add a little flour to the dough. It took a lot of trial and error (and some stuck-on, burnt crusts) as I practiced, but I finally got the pizza to come out well on the pizza pan!

We wanted the grilled pizza last night for dinner, and of course, our silly grocery store was out of the dough balls.

I didn't have time to make some from scratch (and let it rise). So, I ran over to the small pizza/sub place 4 doors down and asked if they sold dough balls! YEP! $2! And she didn't act like it was an unusual question (you know, when they have to find a manager to ask, etc etc). She knew the price right off hand.

It was perfect. And, I don't live in that great of an area shopping or pizza-wise.

So, even if you live in a small area it might be worth the stop to your local pizza place just to ask.

I just got this in my email from my hospitality director:
Grilled Pizza tipsI've now made 3 of the BBQ pizzas on the cover of the catalog. The very
best one was the one we made our our team meeting on Monday. Think it was
due to the sauce! We used our Smoky BBQ rub made into the BBQ sauce recipe
from the pork sandwiches! It was the very best flavor!!I love doing the pizza and the tips I would share are: 1) I DO use refrigerator pizza crust (they now make a long tube the size of
the Crusty French Loaf) even though it says not to! It only takes 12 minutes
to get it done on my grill so it's perfect a show or at home! 2) You will need to really spray your pan really WELL, and I will recommend
that you DO NOT put your crust onto your pan until all your other
ingredients are ready to layer on it. If the crust gets warm while waiting
on topping, it will creep down into your grooves and make it hard to release
the pizza after it's done even though you sprayed it well.
3) I also am not planning to have my host get a rotisserie chicken (who
wants to ask your host to pull that off the bone, and I'm certainly not
doing it when I get there!) I am using 3 small chicken breasts microwaved
in the RCB. Drain off the juice and use the salad choppers to cut the
chicken into whatever size you want (I like it small!).Then add your BBQ sauce, sliced (or pressed) garlic and the oregano and
spread over small amount of BBQ sauce you spread on the crust. Top with your
freshly grated cheese and thinly sliced onions and place it on that indirect heat on the grill!

What is the BBQ Pizza Pan dough made of?

The BBQ Pizza Pan dough is made of a blend of flour, yeast, salt, sugar, and olive oil.

Can the BBQ Pizza Pan dough be used on a regular pizza pan?

Yes, the BBQ Pizza Pan dough can be used on a regular pizza pan. However, it is specifically designed to be used on our BBQ Pizza Pan for a unique and delicious flavor.

How do I prepare the BBQ Pizza Pan dough for use?

To prepare the BBQ Pizza Pan dough, simply thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and then let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before rolling it out on the pan.

Can I freeze the BBQ Pizza Pan dough?

Yes, the BBQ Pizza Pan dough can be frozen for up to 3 months. Just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then place it in a freezer-safe bag or container.

What other types of pizza can I make with the BBQ Pizza Pan dough?

The BBQ Pizza Pan dough is versatile and can be used to make a variety of pizzas, such as traditional cheese and pepperoni, as well as unique options like BBQ chicken or veggie pizzas.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • pampered1224
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • KellyTheChef
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies