• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe for Microwave: Easy and Cheesy!

Sounds like you have a good idea!I wonder if you could melt the butter in the DCB first, then add the rest of the "sauce" ingredients to it, stir, and just add the potatoes to it last, stir, and microwave....one-pot dish, easy cleanup...kwim?I don't think so. The butter and flour makes a roux which has to cook long enough to "cook" the flour. I don't think that step would work in the DCB.
pkd09
Silver Member
I did them last night in the microwave....WOW were they good! I used my Mandoline for the potatoes (did not peel then) and onion. Put in DCB, added salt & peper. In sauce pan I melted 3T butter, added 3T flour until thick, added 2 cups milk and kept stirring until thick. Then used coarse grater and added to milk mixture 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese. Stirred this until cheeese melted (wasn't long). Poured cheese mixture over potatoes/onion. Covered and put in microwave for 30 minutes (actually did 3 x @ 10 min each).

That sounds SO GOOD..I will definately need to try this. I love easy ways to make things that we usually cheat and buy in a box..because they are much better for you if you do them yourself.

Sounds great! I may have to try them tonight!!!

Yes, this sounds good! About how many lbs of potatoes do you think you used?

Sounds Great! Please give us more specifics and I'll add it to my DCB Cookbook. I love cheesy au gratin potatoes

I wonder if you could melt the butter in the DCB first, then add the rest of the "sauce" ingredients to it, stir, and just add the potatoes to it last, stir, and microwave....one-pot dish, easy cleanup...kwim?

Sounds fabulous, either way!

I used 5 med size potatoes. The ingredients/directions could easier feed 6 people.

This sounds really good!

I had every intention of using the DCB but was going to put them in oven until I read the directions and it said bake for 1 1/2 hours! To be honest, I was really surprised by the appearance of the cheese sauce....yumm-o! Definitely a keeper recipe for me :)

pkd09 said:
I used 5 med size potatoes. The ingredients/directions could easier feed 6 people.

And 1 onion? Large/Med/Small?

This sounds very yummy. I can't just leave a recipe alone, though. I'd try to make it a whole meal by adding diced ham and spinach leaves.

Paula R. Lewis said:
I wonder if you could melt the butter in the DCB first, then add the rest of the "sauce" ingredients to it, stir, and just add the potatoes to it last, stir, and microwave....one-pot dish, easy cleanup...kwim?

Sounds fabulous, either way!

I don't think so. The butter and flour makes a roux which has to cook long enough to "cook" the flour. I don't think that step would work in the DCB.

I used a small to medium onion. Didn't want to overpower the potatoes. I also thought about adding ham but decided to cook that on the stove instead.

BethCooks4U said:
I don't think so. The butter and flour makes a roux which has to cook long enough to "cook" the flour. I don't think that step would work in the DCB.

One of my customers reported doing something similar with the loaded baked potato chowder.. she added a tbsp of flour to the first step with milk and potatos and it really thickened up. I haven't tried it myself but it might work. Anyone try it yet? I was going to try to make the Au Gratin potatoes this weekend so I might try to add the flour with it.

1. How do I make Au Gratin Potatoes in the Deep Covered Baker (DCB)?

To make Au Gratin Potatoes in the DCB, you will need 6-8 medium sized potatoes, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 cups of shredded cheese, 2 cups of milk, 1 tablespoon of flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Start by slicing the potatoes and onion into thin slices. In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, flour, salt, and pepper. Layer the potatoes, onions, and garlic in the bottom of the DCB. Pour half of the milk mixture over the potatoes, then top with half of the shredded cheese. Repeat the layers, ending with the remaining cheese on top. Cover the DCB with the lid and microwave on high for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and microwave for an additional 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender and the cheese is melted.

2. Can I use different types of cheese in Au Gratin Potatoes in the DCB?

Yes, you can use any type of shredded cheese that you prefer in this recipe. Cheddar, Swiss, and Gruyere are all popular choices. You can also mix different types of cheese together for a unique flavor.

3. Can I make Au Gratin Potatoes in the DCB in the oven instead of the microwave?

Yes, you can make this dish in the oven by following the same instructions and cooking at 375°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the potatoes are tender and the cheese is melted and golden brown.

4. Do I need to peel the potatoes for Au Gratin Potatoes in the DCB?

Peeling the potatoes is a personal preference. If you prefer a smoother texture, you can peel the potatoes before slicing. If you like a more rustic dish, you can leave the skins on.

5. Can I add other ingredients to Au Gratin Potatoes in the DCB?

Absolutely! This recipe is very versatile and you can add other ingredients such as diced ham, bacon, or vegetables like broccoli or bell peppers. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure all ingredients are fully cooked.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pchockeymom
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
Replies