• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! Baked Potato Chowder Without Micro?

In summary, the host is having her first show and did not think to ask the host how big her microwave was until today. The DCB will not fit and the host can't find anyone with a counter micro that she can borrow. The host has already bought all of the ingredients and the guest isn't sure what to do. The guest has not tried this yet- but if the guest can microwave the potatoes ahead of time at their house, then when they get to the host's house, have them in the DCB (to keep them warm). Demo the part where you are smashing them with the milk with the mix-n-chop. Then dump the potatoes into a stock-pot. I'd take the milk mixture
klo289
I am having my first show tonight and did not think to ask the host how big her microwave was until today. The DCB will not fit and I can't find anyone with a counter micro that I can borrow. She has already bought all of the ingredients and I'm not sure what to do. Has anyone tried it in the oven? I was wondering if I do the potatos at home and bake it after adding the cream cheese mixture, if it would take too long or even work.

I haven't tried this yet- but if you can microwave the potatoes ahead of time at your house, then when you get to her house...have the potatoes in your DCB (to keep warm). Demo the part where you are mashing them with the mix-n-chop. Then dump the potatoes into a stock-pot. I'd take the milk mixture in the batter bowl and microwave it for the time, then dump THAT into the stock-pot with the potatoes on the stove top. Let them heat together on the stove top a few minutes while you prep any extra toppings - like green onions, bacon, or steam a little broccoli, or have some extra cheese--- whatever you have on hand and can pull together at this late hour.You'll have cooked everything in the microwave- just not all at the same time/same dish. I'd talk about how with a standard microwave, you'd do this all in one DCB, etc. but not to the point you make your host feel bad. :)Someone else may have tried this and have better experience...but that would be how I'd try it.
(I wouldn't do it in the oven...soups don't usually go in the oven- a traditional potato soup would be on the oven anyway. The microwave is just to speed things up.)

I bet you can microwave the potatoes by themselves, in the microwave. Then use your DCB for the staging of smashing them with milk with the Mix and Chop. Transfer, as suggested, to your stock pot and work from there. (Most of the time it takes about 5 minutes to microwave an Idaho potato). Doing that portion at home is a time saver, and more certain.

You can mention that when we start as consultants, we don't have everything in the book, but we are prepared to think creatively and learn to adapt. Then, you can share the "ideal way" versus your adaptation. Tell them you have frequent incentives that help you get just about everything in the book. That may create some interest in becoming a consultant.

Good luck. I know you can do it. We all survive and get through the start up challenges. It is nice when you get to the point when you can offer suggestions to help the newest kids on the block.

I agree, take your large microcooker and nuke them and make the recipe up from there.

Go to Consultant's Corner and under Recipe tab, go to Theme Shows: Comfort Food. When you go to the Theme Show Training Guide, scroll to page 4... It has step by step directions for making it on the stove in our skillet! You may want to "hurry" along the potatoes in the microwave first though... Then, share with all of the guests that the recipe takes even less time in our Deep Covered Baker in the microwave. (Let them know it helps to have a large enough microwave and all of the other recipes that can be made in it - versatility, as long as their microwave is a little larger...) You may want to try putting the DCB in when you get there though. Some people need help with a ruler...

To cook chowder on the stovetop:
1. Cut potatoes into 2-in. (5-cm) pieces. Place in (12-in./30-cm) Skillet with enough water to cover. Cook, covered, over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until potatoes come to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook 12-14 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Drain; return potatoes to Skillet. Coarsely mash using Mix ‘N Chop.
2. Meanwhile, whisk all 3½ cups milk into cream cheese mixture. Add cream cheese mixture and butter to Skillet; cook over medium heat 4 minutes or until hot. Remove from heat. Finish and serve as directed.

1. What is the best substitute for a microwave when making Baked Potato Chowder?

While a microwave is commonly used for quick and easy heating, there are other options for making Baked Potato Chowder without one. You can use a stovetop to heat the soup, or even a slow cooker for a longer cooking time. Both methods will result in a delicious and creamy chowder.

2. Can I use frozen potatoes in the Baked Potato Chowder?

Yes, you can use frozen potatoes in the Baked Potato Chowder. However, keep in mind that the texture may be slightly different than using fresh potatoes. Make sure to thaw the frozen potatoes before using them in the chowder.

3. How do I prevent the chowder from curdling?

To prevent the chowder from curdling, make sure to add the dairy ingredients (such as milk or cream) slowly and stir constantly. This will help prevent the dairy from separating and curdling. You can also add a little bit of flour or cornstarch to thicken the chowder and help prevent curdling.

4. Can I make Baked Potato Chowder ahead of time?

Yes, you can make Baked Potato Chowder ahead of time. It is best to make it the day before and store it in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, simply reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave. You may need to add a little bit of extra liquid if the chowder thickens in the refrigerator.

5. What toppings go well with Baked Potato Chowder?

Baked Potato Chowder is a versatile dish and can be topped with a variety of ingredients. Some popular toppings include shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, green onions, sour cream, and chopped fresh herbs. Get creative and add your favorite toppings for a delicious and flavorful chowder.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• naekelsey
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Meigs
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ToDi4Food
  • lakamper