• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Asian Short Grain Rice in the Rice Cooker?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a rice cooker for cooking short grain "sticky" rice in Japanese and Chinese style, as well as the possibility of using it for other types of rice like Jasmine. Some participants have had success with cooking Jasmine rice in their rice cooker, while others have not enjoyed the taste. Jasmine rice is described as a sweeter yellow rice that can be found in the oriental food aisle and is gluten-free.
CookingwithMary
We mostly eat short grain "sticky' rice, Japanese style.

The rice cooker blurb addresses fluffy rice :) Have any of you or your customers used the cooker for Japanese/Chinese style short grain rice?

I don't see it being a problem, just checking. I hope to sell these as a substiture for expensive electric rice cookers, and ours is needing replacement too.

Thanks!

Yes, I do in our rice cooker all the time. Just make sure you wash the rice as usual before cooking it. Shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for your prompt reply :)

I always use Jasmine Rice and it comes out great in the micro rice cooker.

If anyone of you haven't tried Jasmine rice, it is the best!! Delicious! Give it a try. Glad to hear I can cook it in my rice cooker! Thanks Linda!
Deb

What makes Jasmine rice different? Is it an Asian style? A white rice? Brown? Short/long? Never heard of it and don't believe I have seen it in the grocery store (or I'm just not looking well). I've tried to eliminate white starches from my plate so perhaps I'm too funneled in on brown rice.

I make Jasmine all the time too... never would have made it without the rice cooker

Melissa78 said:
What makes Jasmine rice different? Is it an Asian style? A white rice? Brown? Short/long? Never heard of it and don't believe I have seen it in the grocery store (or I'm just not looking well). I've tried to eliminate white starches from my plate so perhaps I'm too funneled in on brown rice.

Jasmine is a sweeter yellow rice. You can find it in your oriental food isle. It is a great healthy rice and is gluten free.

Thanks! I'll take a peek when I'm there next.

I personally do not like Jasmine rice.....it takes a bit like perfume. Could just be me, though. = )

What is the recommended ratio of rice to water when cooking Asian short grain rice in a rice cooker?

The recommended ratio is 1:1, meaning equal parts rice and water. For example, if you are cooking 1 cup of rice, add 1 cup of water.

Can I use the same setting on my rice cooker for cooking Asian short grain rice as I would for other types of rice?

Yes, most rice cookers have a specific setting for cooking Asian short grain rice. However, if your rice cooker does not have this setting, you can use the white rice setting.

How long does it take to cook Asian short grain rice in a rice cooker?

The cooking time can vary depending on the type of rice cooker and the amount of rice being cooked. However, on average, it takes about 20-25 minutes to cook Asian short grain rice in a rice cooker.

Do I need to rinse the rice before cooking it in a rice cooker?

It is recommended to rinse the rice before cooking to remove any excess starch and impurities. However, if you prefer a stickier rice, you can skip this step.

Can I add any other ingredients to the rice cooker when cooking Asian short grain rice?

Yes, you can add other ingredients such as vegetables, meat, or seasonings to the rice cooker along with the rice. Just make sure to adjust the water ratio accordingly and mix the ingredients well before starting the cooking process.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kreaser
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Grandmarita
  • Lisa/ChefBear
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pletcherdee
  • dannyzmom