• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are There Any Vegetarian Meal Options at Conference?

P
Pampered Laura
I have a consultant that has really busted her butt to get to conference (she’s leaving a family reunion early and catching a flight from a distant town outside of her relative’s city) and she is a vegetarian. The meal plans at conference are only offering her vegan (no cheese/dairy or eggs)....OR kosher, gluten free or regular (which all contain meat).

She called the home office and “Dolores” said that she’ll “just have to supplement”, and there’s no other choices for her.

I can’t imagine that a vegetarian meal is that uncommon of a request for a huge conference…
:confused:
Any other vegetarians out there going to conference? What are you planning on doing about meals??

Edited to clarify...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would imagine that they are including the vegitarians with the vegans. (Just fyi vegan is no animal products at all, meat, cheese, dairy.) She will probably find the vegan menu to fit her needs. I would think that vegitarian would be far more common than vegan though.

Not a vegetarian, but I can't believe that either you get meat or you get vegan... nothing in between. That is really sad, but especially for a company that is all about FOOD!!!

Wait - are you saying they told her the vegan meals contain meat? That's not right... vegans don't eat meat or any products that come from animals.

No, I meant Vegan is no dairy/cheese & eggs... and that the REST of the choices all contain meat.
Vegan meals will be incredibly bland to someone who is not a vegan. No butter, eggs, cheese, cream sauces, etc. She is REALLY bummed about this and thinking twice now since the lady at the home office pretty much told her that she'd just have to purchase her own meals outside of conference. :eek:

I'd be ticked if I was her... actually I'm pretty annoyed and I have no idea who your consultant is! Makes me tempted to call HO and find out what they would say if I wanted to change my meals to veggies only... maybe if I get a chance from work tomorrow I will.

Don't assume!
Pampered Laura said:
No, I meant Vegan is no dairy/cheese & eggs... and that the REST of the choices all contain meat.
Vegan meals will be incredibly bland to someone who is not a vegan. No butter, eggs, cheese, cream sauces, etc. She is REALLY bummed about this and thinking twice now since the lady at the home office pretty much told her that she'd just have to purchase her own meals outside of conference. :eek:

NO NO NO NO NO!!! This is a huge assumption you are making about vegan meals! I am a vegetarian, and always get the vegan meal options when available. They are always delicious, even the airplane ones. Vegan does not equal bland.

It is common to offer a vegan alternative, but not vegetarian. With vegan, you will cover all non-meat eaters; with vegetarian the vegans are left out. My opinion is the company is amazing to acknowledge that these different foodies exist, and are planning accordingly to feed EVERYONE.

Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
priscilla said:
It is common to offer a vegan alternative, but not vegetarian. With vegan, you will cover all non-meat eaters; with vegetarian the vegans are left out. My opinion is the company is amazing to acknowledge that these different foodies exist, and are planning accordingly to feed EVERYONE.
That was my thinking - if Vegan will work for the vegetarians, then why cloud the issue with another choice? The caterers are already preparing 4 different types of meals.

I took the Kosher meals at my 2nd conference, on the theory that it would be better food because it wouldn't be as mass-produced as the general meals (same advice some travel writers give to get better food on an airplane). Well, let me tell you, it was lousy! I think that the caterer just gives up, rather than try to make something tasty for the special meals.

Some of the meals are buffet style where she can get vegetarian items.

I don't think Vegan is as bad as she's thinking it is... granted, this *is* mass-produced food and thus only so good... but if you do a search on the web for vegan recipes, lots of them look amazing.I'd say pick the Vegan. Even with the provided meals, I don't think there are many people who aren't picking up SOMETHING else to eat throughout the days!

Did anyone call to find out?

I think it's hard because you can't have a meal that will exactly fit everyones specifications so they have to go with what will fit best into the different catagories. Like vegetarians can eat vegan meals where vegans can't eat vegetarian meals. There is always going to be hurdles when one's diet is not the "norm" My son is a vegetarian diabetic so we never find a lot he can eat at outings and such. You just have to make do and supplement where needed.

Also, when they say supplement, bring snacks. I am an omnivore and I bring snacks to cut down on the cost of eating out or purchasing snacks at the convention center!

I think it is nice for HO to offer these choices - they could be offering no alternatives. They may not fit exactly but at least they are trying to please. I think this is something you have to deal with when you decide to have a different eating style than the norm.

I eat pretty much everything, so, maybe that is why I think it is nice for HO to make these offers to try to please people and that people should be grateful for them at least trying. There is no way for them to please everyone, there are way too many consultants attending to do that, of course that would be hard if it were only 10 going.

Sorry to step on any toes, but this is JUST MY OPINION everyone does not have to agree.

I would just like it if they offer a healthy choice. Last year we had sandwiches on this white bread roll. I would suggest more whole grains, fruit and veggies and less white bread and chips. Not that I am anti chip, I love potato chips, but trying to eat healthy. Just my 2 cents. I am pretty adaptable and can pick off whatever I don't like.

As to bringing snacks, I thought about this, but I am really trying to take one suitcase and my tote on the train. Have to keep some room for the traveling bottle of wine and my shoes!!

If you're saving room (I completely understand, Carol!), there are drugstores on just about every corner. Pop into one before conference starts and pick up a box of something. You can even split the cost (and food) with your roommates.

I have found that the little individual bags of trail mix (dried fruit and nuts, mostly) are very easy to pack because you can tuck them into the little corners inside your suitcase, and even inside shoes!

PamperChefCarol said:
I would just like it if they offer a healthy choice. Last year we had sandwiches on this white bread roll. I would suggest more whole grains, fruit and veggies and less white bread and chips. Not that I am anti chip, I love potato chips, but trying to eat healthy. Just my 2 cents. I am pretty adaptable and can pick off whatever I don't like.

As to bringing snacks, I thought about this, but I am really trying to take one suitcase and my tote on the train. Have to keep some room for the traveling bottle of wine and my shoes!!

I agree Carol about healthier choices! But that seems to be the norm, I've gotten used to the fact that when others are making my food choices for me, they won't be what I would choose (I don't eat white flour or white sugar much). So I just pray a prayer of thanks for the food and for the friends that I get to enjoy it with - and move forward...knowing that when I am in control of my food - I'll make good choices again!

For snacks - Last year, I brought a few, but there was also a Pharmacy/Party Store close to our hotel where we were able to stop and get some at a ecent price.

I tried to pick two food options. It didn't work, unfortunatley. I picked vegan and gluten free, but I had to choose one. I chose the vegan. I'm not really a vegan, but I have mostly not been eating any form of animal for losing weight reasons. I try not to eat flour at all, but I'm not trying too hard because I'm snacking on Teddy Grahams in between posts:) The veggies today just didn't fill me up, and I was getting crabby and tired. I wouldn't want that to happen at conference!

Wow! Did you know the smiley face comes up when you type in a colon and then a parenthesis? How fun!

JAE said:
Wow! Did you know the smiley face comes up when you type in a colon and then a parenthesis? How fun!

Some days it's the little things...:)

JAE said:
If you want to actually do a colon and a parenthesis, put a space between them.

Winky is a semi-colon and a parenthesis. ;)
Big Grin is colon and capital d :D

I love keyboard shortcuts. I'm such a nerd. :cool:

chefann said:
Winky is a semi-colon and a parenthesis. ;)
Big Grin is colon and capital d :D

Thanks, Ann. I am glad to know how to make these work.

This has been another useless fact from the brain of Ann. :)

I think this thread has been officially hijacked...

JAE said:
I think this thread has been officially hijacked...

We are great hijackers around here!! We should make a living at it.....

What were we talking about again? Oh right, me! I need to go buy new shoes to wear for all the walking at conference.

Another gal emailed my consultant and told her what meals will be at conference. I guess she's going to get a regular meal.

Day 1:
Home Office Tour (7am)
Boxed/bagged Breakfast~
Chilled orange, apple, grapefruit or cranberry juice
bagel with cream cheese, butter, peanut butter and preserves
yogurt
banana
*Vegetarian/Vegan meal
Same as above

Day 2:
General Breakfast~
chilled orange and cranberry juices, coffee, decaf coffee and hot tea
milk available upon request
whole fruits to include bananas and strawberries
assorted muffins, bagels, danish and croissants with butter, peanut butter, cream cheese and preserves
scrambled eggs
breakfast potatoes
bacon and sausage patties

General Lunch~
Boxed lunch to include:
chef's salad with crisp lettuce, tomatoes, hard boiled eggs and olives
topped with a julienne of swiss, cheddar, turkey and ham (ranch and italian dressing packets on the side)
one large roll (mayo and mustard packets available)
whole fresh fruit
Sarah Lee double chocolate cake (pre-packaged)
bottled water
* Vegetarian/Vegan meals
same salad as above
substitute turkey,ham, cheese and eggs with grilled veggies and garbanzo beans
whole fruit
bottled water

Day 3:
General Breakfast~
assorted croissants, danish, muffins and bagels with butter, peanut butter, cream cheese and preserves
sliced fresh fruit and berries
ham, egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches
assorted fruit yogurts
chilled orange and cranberry juice, coffee, decaf coffee and tea

If you go into 'files' and do a search for 'vegetarian' you will see two listing for two downloadable files. I dont know how to attach then into my replies.
Hope this helps.

wha?:confused: :D

Sorry to post and ask this question... I can't find an itinerary on consultant's corner and I'm painting my office so everything is buried under something! My question is is there are Career Club lunch this year? I don't remember reading anything... thanks for your help!

Found my answer!

I'm going to have to hit the market once I get there. We eat every two hours! Nothing bing, but we snack every two hours and don't eat large meals either. I thought the nutritionist was crazy when she told us to do that, but it's worked out great for us!

Don't forget about the Executive Banquet!!! Last year it was heavy on the meat and not in a buffet style - make sure she asks about that and tries to get something else!

Boy after seeing some of the ideas for menus and all the carbs I am going to need to bring some kind of protien with me. I hate when my blood sugar drops.

I ws at a big meeting with a different Direct Sales company and my blood sugar started dropping. When to the gift shop and the line ws so long I didn't think I could make it. Lady saw me sitting in the lounge with my head down and asked if I had a headache. I told her no and explained. She went to the gift shop and got me some juice. Woldn't let me pay her back. I have never passed out but it gets real scary. I occasonally wake up in the middle of the night when my blood sugar drops.

As a diabetic, I always make sure I have a little something with me. You just never know when you're going to get off-schedule.

One thing they did at Leadership which they didn't do at National last year (of course, those are the only two conferences I have attended) was to provide sodas, bottled water (and juice?) and cookies in between classes. That really helped morale!

The snacks like that are a Leadership only perk.

Pampered Laura said:
Another gal emailed my consultant and told her what meals will be at conference. I guess she's going to get a regular meal.

Day 1:
Home Office Tour (7am)
Boxed/bagged Breakfast~
Chilled orange, apple, grapefruit or cranberry juice
bagel with cream cheese, butter, peanut butter and preserves
yogurt
banana
*Vegetarian/Vegan meal
Same as above

Day 2:
General Breakfast~
chilled orange and cranberry juices, coffee, decaf coffee and hot tea
whole fruits to include bananas and strawberries
assorted muffins, bagels, danish and croissants with butter, peanut butter, cream cheese and preserves
scrambled eggs
breakfast potatoes
bacon and sausage patties

General Lunch~
Boxed lunch to include:
chef's salad with crisp lettuce, tomatoes, hard boiled eggs and olives
topped with a julienne of swiss, cheddar, turkey and ham (ranch and italian dressing packets on the side)
one large roll (mayo and mustard packets available)
whole fresh fruit
Sarah Lee double chocolate cake (pre-packaged)
bottled water
* Vegetarian/Vegan meals
same salad as above
substitute turkey,ham, cheese and eggs with grilled veggies and garbanzo beans
whole fruit
bottled water

Day 3:
General Breakfast~
assorted croissants, danish, muffins and bagels with butter, peanut butter, cream cheese and preserves
sliced fresh fruit and berries
ham, egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches
assorted fruit yogurts
chilled orange and cranberry juice, coffee, decaf coffee and tea

I'm just happy that it looks like we are having a "real" breakfast this year! Last yr it was just cereal and toast, etc.....very heavy on the carbs, and extremely light on the protein.......and I NEED protein in the morning!
So this looks much better to me! I can have EGGS!:D

I have to say, the Breakfast potatoes (and really the whole breakfast buffet in general) was seriously one of my favorite parts about Atlantis. LOL :D

I am a protein in the morning gal, too!! Sometimes if I eat cereal the milk will turn my stomach. Only in the morning though. I LOVE eggs and sausage for breakfast. That is truly my sin meal.

I forgot about Career Club lunch. I hope they don't serve us a boxed lunch there. That really stunk at Leadership. Boxed lunch...pahoowee!

1. What are the meal options for vegetarians at conference?

At conference, the meal options for vegetarians are limited to either vegan meals (no cheese, dairy, or eggs) or kosher, gluten-free, or regular meals that may contain meat.

2. Can vegetarians request a specific meal option?

Unfortunately, at this time, vegetarians cannot request a specific meal option at conference. The only options available are vegan or kosher, gluten-free, or regular meals that may contain meat.

3. Is it common for conferences to offer vegetarian meal options?

While it is becoming more common for conferences to offer vegetarian meal options, it ultimately depends on the specific conference and its catering options. Unfortunately, at this time, Pampered Chef's conference does not offer a specific vegetarian meal option.

4. Is there a way for vegetarians to supplement their meals at conference?

According to the home office, there is no other option for vegetarians to supplement their meals at conference. However, attendees are welcome to bring their own snacks or meals to supplement if needed.

5. Are there any other vegetarians attending conference?

While we cannot confirm the dietary preferences of all attendees, there may be other vegetarians attending conference. If you are a vegetarian attending conference, you may want to consider bringing your own meals or snacks to supplement the provided options.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dkitten13
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Lindsay
  • Kathylynn
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
janel kelly
  • Poll