• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are Microplanes Having Durability Problems?

In summary, the customer's Dishwasher (no, but it is dishwasher safe), what are you grating?, flat or at an angle?, black plastic around the grating piece has cracked in the same place on all three planes, are you replacing lots of these?, I've had to replace mine twice for the same reasons...good thing to remind her of is to let the grater do the work, you don't have to push down for it to do it's job!, the other day we were talking about this and everyone who had cracked theirs had been laying them over a bowl and grating in the flat position instead of just holding it by itself.. it can't
yankeeinontario
Silver Member
I just got a call from a customer about a broken microplane. This will be the third replacement one that I processed for her. I quizzed her.

1. Dishwasher (no, but it is dishwasher safe)
2. What are you grating? (parmesan, ginger, garlic)
3. Flat or at an angle? (flat)

The black plastic around the grating piece has cracked in the same place on all 3 planes.

Are you replacing lots of these?

I've had to replace mine twice for the same reasons...good thing to remind her of is to let the grater do the work, you don't have to push down for it to do it's job!

The other day we were talking about this and everyone who had cracked theirs had been laying them over a bowl and grating in the flat position instead of just holding it by itself.. it can't seem to take that pressure... it does fine in the easel position.

I do mine flat but don't lay it down and have not had a problem and have no one complain about theirs. The clear food holder cracked on mine though - it just started peeling and then broke. I never put it in the dishwasher.

I demo it at every show so they do see how I do it - could be they're using it the same way I do and that's why they haven't broken theirs either...

I've replaced mine once and my director has replaced hers twice.

A customer broke the handle because she didn't follow the directions. Will PC replace that within the 30 days or is it tuff luck you broke it?

I should know how but don't how do you open again because the handle is like stuck?

nikki70563 said:
I should know how but don't how do you open again because the handle is like stuck?
Put your thumb on the part that looks like a button and squeeze with your fingers. That will release it to change positions.

thanks I tried it but maybe didn't get it right will try when get home from work.

I've never had a problem with mine, nor have my customers. I hope I didn't just jinx myself!

Addie4TLC said:
A customer broke the handle because she didn't follow the directions. Will PC replace that within the 30 days or is it tuff luck you broke it?
My sister broke her's the same way and they replaced it no questions asked.

nikki70563 said:
thanks I tried it but maybe didn't get it right will try when get home from work.

Make sure you're pushing it in the right direction. On the top of the handle, there's a picture of a lock and shows you which way to push it (or pull, whichever).

yankeeinontario said:
I just got a call from a customer about a broken microplane. This will be the third replacement one that I processed for her. I quizzed her.

1. Dishwasher (no, but it is dishwasher safe)
2. What are you grating? (parmesan, ginger, garlic)
3. Flat or at an angle? (flat)

The black plastic around the grating piece has cracked in the same place on all 3 planes.

Are you replacing lots of these?

That happened to me when I was doing a demo at a booth. :grumpy: I replaced it, but I don't use it (DH does); I use the Deluxe Cheese Grater now.

I rarely use mine because I have an extremely hard time pushing the button in for the handle. I struggle pushing it down (can't get enough pressure in my thumbs) and if my fingernails are long, then forget, I'm not going to get it open at all!

You don't push down a button. You put your thumb there for leverage and pull the handle towards you.

I rarely use mine, I would rather use the Deluxe cheese grater. I haven't had any complaints about it though.

My hosp director has broken 3 of them durring demo's I've seen her do it twice. Once at a show and once at a meeting.

I've never had an issue with mine, I think it came in my kit so it's at least 1 1/2 years old. When opening it, just look at the top and slide the handle in the direction the arrow is pointing. It's very easy and doesn't take much effort.

I struggled with mine for quite a while but have finally gotten the hang of it. Not heard of any breaking though.

I tell my guests to hold the handle in their right hand. Put your thumb on the round end of the hinge. Press with your thumb and pull with your fingers holding the handle. The handle then slides toward your body. While you slide the handle take your left hand and move the blade end up or down where you need it. It seems to help.

The clear plastic piece has fallen and broken twice. I also had a host have the same exact thing happen.

yeah i had that happen also plus part of where the handle connects to the grater broke off!

Have it, love it...never had a problem.

Chef Endora said:
Have it, love it...never had a problem.

Same here - the only thing that has broken on me is the clear plastic cover, and only b/c of me being too rough with it! :blushing:

I have had to replace mine because the black part cracked behind the grater. I do not know how it happened, it was like that after a show when I unpacked. they replaced it with no problems.

I was glad to find this thread. My microplane grater just broke while my son was grating some parmesan, which he does often for me.

Thank goodness it is still under the 3-year guarantee. I sent in for a product adjustment. When they get it back, they will see it snapped like everyone else here has described.

I was tempted to blame my son when it happened! After the initial disappointment, I realized it was just his bad luck that he happened to be using it when it decided to snap, instead of me. We usually use it on an angle and grate into a bowl. We use it a LOT so I hope I get the replacement soon!

I'm glad to see this too...I've never even used mine, I tried to open it when I got it out of my kit and it broke immediately! I applied almost no pressure trying to open it and the handle cracked right off!

Related to Are Microplanes Having Durability Problems?

1. Can I use a Microplane for grating hard cheeses?

Yes, Microplanes are designed to grate hard cheeses such as Parmesan and Romano with ease. However, we recommend using a light touch to avoid damaging the blades.

2. My Microplane is not grating as well as it used to. What could be causing this?

Over time, the blades of your Microplane may become dull due to frequent use. We recommend sharpening the blades with a sharpening stone or replacing them with a new one.

3. How do I clean my Microplane?

We recommend hand washing your Microplane with warm water and mild soap. Use a small brush or toothbrush to remove any food particles stuck in the blades. Avoid putting it in the dishwasher as it may damage the blades.

4. Can I use my Microplane to zest citrus fruits?

Yes, Microplanes are great for zesting citrus fruits like lemons, limes, and oranges. However, be careful not to grate the white pith as it can add a bitter taste to your dish.

5. Is it safe to use a Microplane without a handle?

While it is possible to use a Microplane without a handle, it is not recommended as it can be difficult to control and may result in injury. We suggest using a Microplane with a handle for better grip and safety.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • kcjodih
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Grandmarita
  • CaribooMom