• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Anyone Have Experience in Cloth Diapering? Help!

I forget what it was called...on their butt and it worked wonders. I don't know if that would work for yours, but it did for ours.
ShelbyMichalek
Hey, I need help! Sorry to post an external link, but since I wrote all this up already and I'm currently trying to keep him out of trouble (Why oh why did I wish he knew how to crawl!?) LOL

Would you mind reading my blog post and commenting in my blog and/or on here?
Thanks so much in advance.

http://msmichalek.wordpress.com/2010/03/30/cloth-diapers-win-a-10-babies-r-us-giftcard/

Thanks!

As you mentioned, the kind you have in your blog post, really isn't used for cloth diapering. I'm sure it probably was a while back, but cloth diapers have come a LONG way (which I can't convince my husband of, but that's another issue).

If you were to be looking into cloth diapering permanently, you'd probably want to go for something more like these: bumGenius cloth diapers by Cotton Babies

Now, as far as the reason for you wanting to go this route. I think he could use some bare-butt time. That, along with frequent and prompt diaper changes, along with a zinc based diaper cream will help clear up the rash. Spread the cream liberally on his bottom so that it creates a barrier that keeps moisture away from his skin.

Also, think about whether there's been anything new he's recently eaten that might be causing the reaction.

NooraK said:

Also, think about whether there's been anything new he's recently eaten that might be causing the reaction.

Love all your advice Noora. One little note. We haven't changed ANYTHING in his diet for at least the last month or so. That's the main reason this rash/and increased BMs is a mystery to me.

My mom cloth diapered all of us except my youngest brother (there are 5 of us total) plus my aunts cloth diapered most of theirs (my aunt stopped when she had twins). For the diapers you have pictured, lay it flat then fold the bottom corners in towards the middle, overlapping a bit but not creating a point. Then fold that up between the baby's legs, and bring the top corners around like you would the disposable velco tabs and pin to the front folded part. For these, you will want the plastic overpants or else they won't prevent any leakage whatsoever.

They have great prefolded cloth diapers now though, so I would suggest using those. My sister-in-law is planning on using gDiapers that have cloth OR disposable (and biodegradable) inserts. check them out at gDiapers - Earth friendly diapers, the new diaper hybrid.

we use kissaluvs cloth diapers. They snap to size correctly for the babies size. The size ones we are using now will last us from now until my son is 18 months (guest-amating based on his current size/weight). We use the bum genius covers over each diaper. I didn't want to use diapers that needed pins and the all in ones that my friends have used were not effective. For me I prefer the kissaluvs.

As far as his rash if he is allergic to zinc based creams use aquaphor as it will let the skin breath and be a barrier.

I don't have any advice on the cloth diapers, but I have plenty of experience in the diaper rash dept. My daughter got HORRIBLE SCARRING rashes after eating anything tomato based, No spaghetti, sloppy joe, etc because it came out like ACID.
Anyway....I agree about airing it out, no covering on the bottom and plenty of diaper cream. It should clear up in about a week and if it doesn't, take baby to the dr cuz the dr will give you something for it more medicated to clear it up. Good luck

Some times my kids would get rashes when they were teething. It's weird, I know. But really, it happened every time. We also had luck with certain diaper rash creams for each kid. Just as soon as I found my favorite, it wouldn't work as well on the next kid. Don't understand why, but it happened. At first we loved Balmex creamy. Next child, we used Walmart's brand. For #3, I loved the Aveeno one. And #4 worked well with Desitin! When you read the labels, so many of them have the same active ingredients, so it must be the ratio or something extra in there that makes them different.Sorry, that was probably not helpful at all! :blushing:

I have not read your blogbut from the replies I am guessing you are battling a nasty case of Diaper rash. My daughter had chronic diaper rash. Just a super sensitive tushie. Here is what worked for me. Home made baby wipes with water only. Not even any baby wash added. Also a good zinc based cream like classic Desitin NOT the Creamy Desitin!

HTH!

When my kids were babies they got diaper rash really bad with teething. My pediatrician told us to dab milk of magnesia (any brand, cheapo is fine) on with a cotton ball. He said teething causes the body to produce more acid (helps to break down the gum tissue and soften it a bit), and that the rash frequently was from the acid. We tried it and it cleared it right up in a couple of days. That and extra air. Worked like a charm.

etteluap70PC said:
I have not read your blogbut from the replies I am guessing you are battling a nasty case of Diaper rash. My daughter had chronic diaper rash. Just a super sensitive tushie. Here is what worked for me. Home made baby wipes with water only. Not even any baby wash added. Also a good zinc based cream like classic Desitin NOT the Creamy Desitin!

HTH!

I am with you on the Desitin regular cream and not the creamy, that stuff is like lotion!
When you mentioned the homemade baby wipes, that reminded me that I didn't use wipes during rashes, just a warm washcloth to clean up!

chefsteph07 said:
I am with you on the Desitin regular cream and not the creamy, that stuff is like lotion!
When you mentioned the homemade baby wipes, that reminded me that I didn't use wipes during rashes, just a warm washcloth to clean up!

I could not bear to use washcloths so it was wet paper towels for us.

I replied to your blog. Let me know if you want more help!

babywings76 said:
Some times my kids would get rashes when they were teething. It's weird, I know. But really, it happened every time. ..........

Sorry, that was probably not helpful at all! :blushing:
Yes you were VERY helpful actually. He is teething and I've wondered a bit if it was a connection.

Nanisu said:
When my kids were babies they got diaper rash really bad with teething. My pediatrician told us to dab milk of magnesia (any brand, cheapo is fine) on with a cotton ball. He said teething causes the body to produce more acid (helps to break down the gum tissue and soften it a bit), and that the rash frequently was from the acid. We tried it and it cleared it right up in a couple of days. That and extra air. Worked like a charm.

Thank you! Yes, he is teething and it could be the source, I'm glad you explained about the acid, it actually makes sense. I may need to try this.

chefsteph07 said:

etteluap70PC said:

HTH!

Regular not Creamy, gotcha. I use both, whatever is closest at the time. I just put him down for bed and this time I used Regular.

I asked DH to wake me up when he gets up (4:15) so I can change him. My son usually sleeps through the night (10 to 7) and it hasn't been a problem with his diapers ever before, but now that he has a rash, I want to make sure I do everything "right" in helping it clear up.

Thanks for all your help!! I'm actually considering switching to cloth if I can get enough support/advice from everyone (including my family) and thus why I initiated my blog for help contest. If I can work up the nerve, I may switch. The only reason I haven't is because I'm..gulp...lazy.. :blushing:
Speaking of which, if any of you want in on my blog contest, please feel free to post your response from this thread into the comments of my blog post mentioned above. You've all been very helpful and I think it's only fair for you to be included.

Cloth diapering really is easy! Like I said on your blog, I cloth diapered my twins for just over 3 years. We only used disposables for about 3 days when we went on one trip that I wasn't going to be able to wash during. We travelled alot when they were young, both by car and plane and we cloth diapered through it all except for that one trip.

Madelyn hardly peed that trip and when we got home and put her in a cloth diaper I swear she let out the whole weekend's worth of pee! It was like she had saved it all for her comfy diaper instead of the yucky disposable ROFL

MLinAZ said:
Cloth diapering really is easy! Like I said on your blog, I cloth diapered my twins for just over 3 years. We only used disposables for about 3 days when we went on one trip that I wasn't going to be able to wash during. We travelled alot when they were young, both by car and plane and we cloth diapered through it all except for that one trip.

Madelyn hardly peed that trip and when we got home and put her in a cloth diaper I swear she let out the whole weekend's worth of pee! It was like she had saved it all for her comfy diaper instead of the yucky disposable ROFL

LOL That's hilarious! Yep, I left a short response to the comment you left on there.
This [switching to cloth] is something I've considered doing all throughout my pregnancy, I have such a weak stomach I didn't think I'd be able to handle all the washing of the BM. But going through this right now, is probably worse. My poor baby's bottom isn't very pretty right now and it makes my heart just break every time I change him. I honestly do think cloth diapering would be beneficial, I just don't think we can afford to invest in the cost. I can barely afford groceries, PC is the only thing keeping us from sinking (and it barely even does that!)

You can buy a diaper sprayer that hooks up to your toilet, you just spray off the major BM and then the diaper goes into the diaper pail for wash time. You use HOT water so there's no concerns about it being sanitary :)

You could invest in just 1 day's worth of diapers at first, you'd just have to wash each day. Then as you get extra money or as the money you would have been using to replenish the disposables adds up you could add a few more.

Wildflower Diapers offers free shipping and discounts when you buy 3 or more diapers at a time. Shannon is really helpful too! www.wildflowerdiapers.com

The other one we used a lot was Green Mountain Diapers. There was another one too but I forget now what the website was!

FuzziBunz were our favorite but it's been 3 years since we cloth diapered as well so there might be other great ones out there now too. The cheapest route would be some good quality prefolds, snappis, and covers. Covers can be reused between washings so you just need a few to get through a day. They can air out then be used at a later diaper change. My favorite covers were the Bummis' Super Whisper Wraps. Wool covers are great too - especially for Minnesota :)

With prefolds and covers you could get started for under $60 I bet!

MLinAZ said:
You could invest in just 1 day's worth of diapers at first, you'd just have to wash each day. Then as you get extra money or as the money you would have been using to replenish the disposables adds up you could add a few more.
With prefolds and covers you could get started for under $60 I bet!

I don't have a washer/dryer :grumpy: or even easy access to one:grumpy::grumpy:

Other than that, it looks like I'll be checking out that website you mentioned. Thanks!

If you don't want to make the full transition yet, try the gDiapers that I linked too. They're fabric covers with places for either disposable or cloth pad inserts that do the absorbing. My sister-in-law is planning on using these with the disposable inserts because she lives in an apartment and doesn't want to have to walk back and forth to the washer/dryer with the baby to wash the inserts but plans on switching to the cloth inserts if they move and get their own. She did the math and it comes out to about the same as disposable diapers. The disposable inserts are flushable, biodegradable and/or compostable so they're very earth-friendly.

mrshamel3808 said:
If you don't want to make the full transition yet, try the gDiapers that I linked too. They're fabric covers with places for either disposable or cloth pad inserts that do the absorbing. My sister-in-law is planning on using these with the disposable inserts because she lives in an apartment and doesn't want to have to walk back and forth to the washer/dryer with the baby to wash the inserts but plans on switching to the cloth inserts if they move and get their own. She did the math and it comes out to about the same as disposable diapers. The disposable inserts are flushable, biodegradable and/or compostable so they're very earth-friendly.

I actually had already heaviliy researched those and added those onto my options because a good friend of mine switched her daughter to gDiapers 2 months ago. I'm just exploring all possibilities.
Sorry I didn't respond to your previous post about this..I logged on and had SOO many helpful responses I guess I forgot to respond to yours. Thanks so much though!!

I used cloth for DS1 and am using cloth for DS2.My tried and true rash solution is Triple Paste. You can get it at any pharmacy (Walgreens, CVS). Just DON'T use it with cloth dipes! Most diapers creams cause buildup on cloth dipes.Also, give him as much nakey time as possible. www.diaperpin.com is a great site and www.mothering.com/discussions has a cloth dipe forum.

I have cloth diapered by daughter for about 19 months now, she was preemie with very sensitive skin and the Pampers made her break out terrible. Now I use cloth mainly and disposable when we are traveling. I have found them to be a good fit for us economically and also environmentally.

1. How do I know which cloth diapering system is right for me?

Choosing the right cloth diapering system depends on your budget, lifestyle, and personal preferences. Some popular options include pre-fold diapers with covers, pocket diapers, all-in-one diapers, and hybrid diapers. Research each option and consider what will work best for your family.

2. How many cloth diapers do I need?

The number of cloth diapers you need will depend on how frequently you plan on doing laundry. As a general rule, it is recommended to have at least 24 cloth diapers for full-time use. However, if you plan on doing laundry more often, you may be able to get by with fewer diapers.

3. How do I clean and care for cloth diapers?

It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning and caring for your specific cloth diapering system. In general, most cloth diapers can be washed in hot water with a mild detergent and then dried on a low or medium heat setting. Avoid using fabric softeners or bleach, as they can damage the fabric and affect absorbency.

4. Can I use cloth diapers overnight?

Yes, there are cloth diapering options specifically designed for overnight use. These diapers typically have a higher absorbency and may include additional layers or inserts. You may also want to consider using a diaper cover for added protection against leaks.

5. Are cloth diapers better for the environment?

Cloth diapers are often considered more environmentally friendly than disposable diapers because they can be reused multiple times. However, the overall environmental impact will depend on how the diapers are washed and dried. Using energy-efficient machines and line-drying can help reduce the environmental impact of cloth diapering.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KellyTheChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
vonfirmath
  • pampchefsarah
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pcchefjane
  • PampChefJoy