• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

anAwful Thing Happened Today- Prayers Needed!

The dog, a white lab mix, was normally friendly but seemed to have reacted defensively in this situation. The parents of the boy were understanding and did not hold the dog or its owners responsible. The boy received stitches and the dog's owners were concerned about the potential consequences, such as the dog being quarantined. In summary, the conversation was about a dog bite incident involving a 10-year-old boy and the reactions of the parents and dog owners.
smspamperedchef
Silver Member
My son (11) had a friend (10) come over last night to spend the night. I have a sweet solid white medium size lab mix. He sleeps in our room.
This morning the little boy was the only one awake and he was standing up on the fold out bed watching a movie. (not sure why he was standing up???)
I opened my bedroom door and since I was just in my nightgown I asked the friend if he would mind opening the back door to let the dog out (as I needed to use the restroom)
Next thing I know I hear him screaming. I ran out there and my dog had bit him in the face!
The back door was open and he was back up on the bed. I'm not exactly sure how it happened but from what I get out of it he tried to let the dog out and the dog wouldn't come and so he went over to him and that's when he got bit. I'm thinking he must have got into his face and didn't like it. Or maybe since he was the only out there that was awake maybe the dog thought he was a threat to my son! Or maybe he jumped off the bed and my dog thought he was going to hurt him. I really don't know.

Well, rushed him to the urgent care center and he ended up with 11 stiches. 7 in his lip and 4 on the bridge of his nose. His parents were really great about it and weren't really upset or anything. We know them pretty well as they've been involved with scouts and soccer with us for years. Mom even joked about how he can go to school and say, "you think this looks bad you should see the other guy!" The parents even let him come back over to our house to play (with the dog outside of course). Their insurance covered everything 100% and I kept asking if I need to do anything and they kept reassuring me no and everything's ok, it happens! stuff like that! Their daughter even got bit by a stranger's dog not long ago and even though it was more minor they weren't worried about that either. Mom was even telling me when she got bit as a kid. Dad had even told Mom that it was probably their kids fault anyway.

My dog is super sweet and will hug you and is always happy to see us. However, he is very protective and will bark or growl at strangers if he doesn't know them. He would jump on someone and I have no doubt he would protect us if someone was trying to hurt us. A very good guard dog!

I'm just so shaken up about this. My husband is not as concerned as he is taking the more laid back approach that it happens sometimes and things happen.

I'm worried about my dog now. I had to fill out a form at the urgent care that gave my address and phone #s, and the city (or whoever's in charge of this kind of thing) will be contacted. Dog could be quarantined, etc. I'm not sure what if anything I should do at this point! Any words of wisdom out there?

Sorry to hear that Sharon. I can imagine how you must feel, even though the parent's don't seem to be upset. Hang in there..I hope everything is okay and your dog is ok too.
I don't have any words of wisdom, but I'll be thinking of you. {{hugs}}

I feel for you. I know exactly how you feel. It is frustrating when something like this happens and you have no control. My prayers are with your family, and the little boy.

Wow, for once someone realized that an accident was an accident. Usually parents would be running around suing each other over something like this. Glad to hear that everything is okay, just realize it is a very good outcome of the situation on both sides!

Sorry to hear about the accident, but sounds like everything's gonna be OK.

Great to hear from you!

thanks! I sure hope so. keep trying to do things to get my mind off off it unfortunately the memory of it still comes back quickly...

smspamperedchef said:
I'm worried about my dog now. I had to fill out a form at the urgent care that gave my address and phone #s, and the city (or whoever's in charge of this kind of thing) will be contacted. Dog could be quarantined, etc. I'm not sure what if anything I should do at this point! Any words of wisdom out there?

Who you will likely hear from will be the local Health Department - that's who the animal bite reports go to.

You're going to be asked about the dog's rabies vaccination status. If you can't find your vaccination certificate, call your vet's office to get a copy (no, the rabies tag generally won't count in this kind of case).

For a pet current of rabies vaccination, in most locales, the quarantine period is at home - keep the dog on leash/in the house at all times (basically supervised). In some areas, the pet will need to be checked by a vet at the beginning and end of the quarantine period.

If there is no previous history of bites, and the rabies vaccination is current, it's not a huge deal. Don't panic :)

well, unfortunately he got his shots at one of those low cost clinics that set up for a certain Saturday and then they are gone, and since moving many things have been misplaced, shoved in boxes, etc. so I have no idea where that could be even. Tag is not to be found. I'm assuming hubby never put it on because the dog is always here. I have such short brittle nails I always give that job to him though not sure why I waste my time as he's bad about details. So, what happens if I have no proof of shots?

I've prayed for quick healing and a smooth resolution to the issue.

raebates said:
I've prayed for quick healing and a smooth resolution to the issue.

Thank you for your prayers

smspamperedchef said:
well, unfortunately he got his shots at one of those low cost clinics that set up for a certain Saturday and then they are gone, and since moving many things have been misplaced, shoved in boxes, etc. so I have no idea where that could be even. Tag is not to be found. I'm assuming hubby never put it on because the dog is always here. I have such short brittle nails I always give that job to him though not sure why I waste my time as he's bad about details. So, what happens if I have no proof of shots?

That's one of the biggest arguments against using one of the mobile clinics. Hopefully, in your area they either get their rabies tags from the city/county and/or are required to report the vaccination information to the city/county. If so, they should be able to look it up. Same applies if you've paid a local dog tax/dog registration.

Then again, with an owned dog, and the owner present, you may not hear from the Health Department at all. I least where I've lived, followup was more or less left to the discretion of the health department person.

Absolute worst case scenario is the dog is boarded in a kennel for the quarantine period - and you should be able to request it be done at your regular veterinarian's. Things vary A LOT regarding dog bites based on where you live :( (That being said, the only case I've seen mandatory quarantine done was in a dog with no history of rabies vaccination and a history of behavior issues/biting)

Ahhh...I was once bitten by a dog at a show. The owner had 2 dogs that looked alike, and it happened so fast we weren't sure which one did it -- they were both jumping at me).

One of the two was late getting his last vaccination (it was overdue by a few months), so the owner had to board both of the dogs for 10 days to quarantine them. The cost was $50 per day (a total of $1000).

If the dog had been current on his shots, the owner could have "home quarantined" both and saved a whole lot of money!

My dog had all of his shots & had to be "home" quarentined for 10 days. Then everything was fine.

It was put on his record at the vet.erinarian's office. The hospital called my dog's vet & told them what had happened.

:cry:well, unfortunately I got a notice on my door when I wasn't home today which said we have til 6pm tomorrow to quarantine our dog at either: :cry:

a) pet owner release to the city
b) animal care and control center
c) your choice of veterinary clinic

I choose option c

Quarantine is through May 12. :cry:

So sorry to hear about this. I'll be praying for you.

I would pick opt. c too. They can pick up all kinds of things at the animal care & control!!

Sorry you are going through this.

Looks like this is going to cost about $275. Pray my hubby gets a job this week. I need to book more shows!!!

I'm so missing my dog right now. He sleeps with us every night! I called the vet twice today and he's doing great and I'm sure he's just fine. This is more punishment for mom here though! :cry:
So weird him not being here when we come in the house. He always waits for us by the door. He's really a very good dog and I miss him so.

The little boy is doing pretty well with no signs of infection. Stiches come out on Thursday. Keep praying for a full recovery with minimal or no scarring.

Glad that the parents are being understanding.

I'm a retired police dispatcher for a suburb of Dallas. In Texas, it's usually the Animal Control Officer who investigates dog bite cases.

I suggest you try to find the proof of shots and FAST! I've seen children undergo the rabies shots (a series of them to the tummy) after a dog bite where there was no proof that the dog was up to date on it's shots. This little boy is already dealing with enough pain. I'd hate to see him suffer through the shots too if it can be avoided. I'm sure he & his parents would appreciate it as well. ;)

I can't imagine going home at the end of the day and not having my cats greet me. I'm SO sorry your dog has to be away from home for so long. *BIG HUGS* Can you go there and visit him and walk him? BEST of luck to you in getting through this.

1. What happened that requires prayers?

An awful thing happened today where a dear friend's house caught on fire and their beloved dog was trapped inside. They are in need of prayers for their home and pet.

2. Is there anything else we can do to help?

Right now, the best way to help is by sending thoughts and prayers for comfort and strength during this difficult time. You can also reach out directly to the friend to offer any support or assistance they may need.

3. Can you provide any updates on the situation?

At this time, we do not have any updates on the situation. Our friend is focused on dealing with the aftermath of the fire and taking care of their pet. We appreciate your understanding and continued prayers.

4. How can we specifically pray for them?

Please pray for the safety and well-being of our friend and their pet. Pray for strength and courage as they navigate through this challenging situation. And pray for a quick recovery and restoration of their home.

5. Are there any other ways we can support them?

In addition to sending prayers, you can also consider making a donation to help with any expenses they may incur. You can also offer to help with any tasks or errands they may need assistance with. Every little bit of support helps during this difficult time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • candiejayne
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pcsharon1
  • mrssyvo
  • General Chat
Replies