• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Amish Cooking Show, Need Recipe Ideas

In summary, Amanda is preparing for her first show with an Amish host. She is trying to decide what recipe options to give her. She told the host she would mail off her host packet today and that it would include a recipe list. Can you help her think of some?
babywings76
Gold Member
I have my first show with an Amish host. She's young, newly married and the other guests will be young and some unmarried, some also newly married. I'm trying to decide what recipe options to give her. I told her I'd mail off her host packet today and that it would include a recipe list. Can you help me think of some?

They don't have air conditioning, so we won't want to use the oven and obviously they don't have a microwave. I don't know if they grill, and I'm not comfortable with a grill, so I don't think I'd go that route either. Maybe something in the skillet? Or something where I can make a brownie or other crust ahead and finish the recipe together?

I also need this to be a recipe that will be simple. I'm actually doing this against medical advice, in that I'll only be 2 weeks post-op of having a "feminine procedure" done where I'm not supposed to lift anything heavier than a jug of milk for 6 weeks. I figure I'll bring my 12 yr. old daughter as my helper and get the host to help me carry in my stuff. Depending on how I feel, I can have my daughter help and also have the guests help. I've never been successful with an interactive show and I'm a bit of a recipe-control freak, so I'm really nervous about this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Hi Amanda
I am in a very similar situation. I will be having total knee replacement surgery on July 2 so I will not be doing shows for July ( have book shows scheduled)....but since April 1 I have been dealing with an ACL tear and bone on bone knee issues. Because of my full time job, I have had to postpone surgery until July. I have taken my 8 yr old granddaughter to shows to help and always ask my hosts for help loading and unloading and they are very eager to do that. I have been doing the colossal chopped salad - cooking the pasta at home and taking it in a SS bowl. I pass a bowl with the romaine & salad choppers and they all help chop the greens - we use the food chopper, etc....and I do the show sitting down as I cannot stand for more than 10-15 minutes. You can ask her to have chicken cooked (use leftovers). You can also do the Satay Pasta salad....or even salsa & chips using MFP). How about a red, white & blue trifle?? My sales & bookings have not suffered because of this and have a full schedule for August - the only bummer is that I have to miss Fall Launch and do not know how I will do with sell-a-thon, but know I can but the samples if need be. Hope this helps!

Thanks, Linda! Some great ideas there! :) If anyone else has some more ideas, I'd love to hear them, too. :D

My thought would be something like chicken your way in the grill pan and mango salsa in the MFP. It's a great recipe that shows off some good products, doesn't heat up the house and is very tasty.

Thanks! I included that in my recipe option list for her.

So I put together this file. Hope it she likes something and it goes okay! :)

Attachments

• Amish-No microwave-oven recipes.doc
    40 KB · Views: 708
awesome choices

I included a couple recipes that call for the microwave (to melt peanut butter or chocolate), but I can simply do the same thing using my small SS saucepan on the stove real quick or use the double boiler insert. (what size pot is needed for that? I haven't used it yet.)

I use the 2-quart SS sauce pan, or you can use the 4-qt executive (small stock pot), it has a little gap but can be done. It would likely work in a 3-qt pan too if you had one.

babywings76 said:
Or something where I can make a brownie or other crust ahead and finish the recipe together?

I also need this to be a recipe that will be simple. I'm actually doing this against medical advice, in that I'll only be 2 weeks post-op of having a "feminine procedure" done where I'm not supposed to lift anything heavier than a jug of milk for 6 weeks.

How about making brownies ahead of time and doing a patriotic brownie...Not sure about Amish Patriotism..but you could use the recipe and instead of a flag make strawberry flowers and a background of blueberries!! I'll attach the recipe..it's labeled for an amazing race show but the recipe would be the same..it says to microwave cream cheese for 15 seconds to soften, but you could just make sure that it's set out ahead of time :)

I also had the type of surgery that you are speaking about and did a show right at my 6 weeks..I have to tell you please be very careful and make sure that you lift nothing heavy!!!!And be aware that your energy level will be super low..so keep it EASY!! I made the mistake of trying to move a bureau 4 weeks after and tore some stitches and caused some herniation...so DON'T OVER DO IT!!! :)

Attachments

• Brownie Recipe amazing race.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 722
FYI...You may want to nix the Patriotic theme with Amish folk. They are pacifist, do not salute the flag,they believe in allegience to God over Country. It is not that they are against government, they follow the rules of the land, etc, but their purpose is to not put government before God. Their whole existance is surrounded by simple living. I would keep it simple. I know that this goes beyond our very core, but I would stay with demonstrating our tried and true stuff...chopper, measuring tools, knifes, batter bowls, etc. Show them the egg slicer and how it can be used to cut mushrooms and strawberries. Demo the peelers. Show the kernal cutter and the corn butterer. If you use the skillet, demonstrate the saute tongs and how they don't mar the coating. If it were me, I would make a salsa using the manual food chopper. You could even ask if they had any fresh items ripe in their garden right now to use. Simple is their way, and they like simple...so...just keep it very simple. Our tools make even the most basic of cooking easy and fun. You'll have a blast!

I grew up near Lancaster County in PA and always shopped in Amish produce markets and bakeries. Definitely stay away from anything Patriotic, as previously mentioned they don't recognize the US flag. My Mom and Grandmother's table at the holidays are always filled with Amish recipes. So here's my thoughts.

Apples: APPLE BUTTER, apple pie, apple ring fritters, dried apples, cabbage and apples, apple pancakes, apple cider

- Apples take a while to peel, core, cut. How can you make this easier? The apple corer, peeler, slicer?

- Cabbage used in many recipes as a stand-alone dish or baked or cooked: the nylon serrated knife cuts cabbage works well; cabbage slaw, hot cabbage, coleslaw, etc.

- Potatoes/zucchini: sliced or diced, what items in the kitchen do you use regularly for potatoes? the slicers? peelers? graters?

In many Amish bakeries, they sell mini pies and breads, I think the would love most dessert brownie pan recipes; perhaps you can incorporate their love for apples using the brownie pan.

The Amish would probably love the mix 'n chop. Show if off on the stove browning ground beef; I'm not sure if they would love the cheeseburger salad but this one tool would be something that they normally do not have in their kitchen.

In your recipes, where do you think they will have the frozen cool whip stored? Make sure the puddings can be made with a whisk not an electric mixer.

I would show case the mix 'n chop and anything to make cutting veggies/fruits easier. Also anything that could be made in the brownie pan--this pan is made for sharing and the Amish are known for sharing/fellowshipping. Or, the bamboo bowls are beautiful on the table and are earth friendly but not too showy; also something to consider.

Just a few of my thoughts. I hope this helps. If you are interested in any specific recipe or idea that I mentioned, let me know and I will ask Mom. :)

Good luck!

And dont forget the MFP. My NED told us she uses it to make coleslaw....not sure how...it wouldnt be shredded obviously, more chopped.

And I probably wouldnt get hung up so much on a recipe for the demo, as mch as focus on all of the cutting tools and products mentioned above (great info!). Or do a siple recipe, and then take a couple of potatoes to show off the other items you maybe didnt use in the recipe. And agreed on the apples. It may not be apple season, but it will be here soon and that could be good.

I just got off the phone with Mom and they went to the Amish market today and an Amish restaurant. The following items were plentiful at market:

eight pounds of zucchini and yellow squash for $2
large heads of cabbage 99 cents
large heads of cauliflower $2
large onions 50 cents each
cucumbers--I can't remember the cost but they were inexpensive so they bought several

For lunch they enjoyed the typical corn fritters, harvard beets, zucchini cakes, bean salad, cucumber salad, slaw, potato salad, chicken pot pie, pork and sauerkraut, and for dessert the cinnamon sugar donuts and peach pie. She said the lasagna and salmon were horrible :)

After looking at your brownie pan booklet Mom and I think that you should make the Cinnamon Sugar loaves which are similiar to their faschnuts or busy Mom's Pancakes served with ground sausage. Again, food for thought.

I can't believe the Amish are opening their home to you. I'm so happy and excited for you! Good luck and I hope it goes well. Let me know. Thanks.

esavvymom said:
...And agreed on the apples. It may not be apple season, but it will be here soon and that could be good.

Great point! This can be a way to ensure that you are invited back in the fall. If you have the apple corer or wedger, show them the simplicity of the tool and tell them that you can bring all of the apple cutting tools with you once the apples are plentiful in the fall and you can help them make their apple butter even faster.

LoriLions said:
I grew up near Lancaster County in PA and always shopped in Amish produce markets and bakeries. Definitely stay away from anything Patriotic, as previously mentioned they don't recognize the US flag. My Mom and Grandmother's table at the holidays are always filled with Amish recipes. So here's my thoughts.

Apples: APPLE BUTTER, apple pie, apple ring fritters, dried apples, cabbage and apples, apple pancakes, apple cider

- Apples take a while to peel, core, cut. How can you make this easier? The apple corer, peeler, slicer?

- Cabbage used in many recipes as a stand-alone dish or baked or cooked: the nylon serrated knife cuts cabbage works well; cabbage slaw, hot cabbage, coleslaw, etc.

- Potatoes/zucchini: sliced or diced, what items in the kitchen do you use regularly for potatoes? the slicers? peelers? graters?

In many Amish bakeries, they sell mini pies and breads, I think the would love most dessert brownie pan recipes; perhaps you can incorporate their love for apples using the brownie pan.

The Amish would probably love the mix 'n chop. Show if off on the stove browning ground beef; I'm not sure if they would love the cheeseburger salad but this one tool would be something that they normally do not have in their kitchen.

In your recipes, where do you think they will have the frozen cool whip stored? Make sure the puddings can be made with a whisk not an electric mixer.

I would show case the mix 'n chop and anything to make cutting veggies/fruits easier. Also anything that could be made in the brownie pan--this pan is made for sharing and the Amish are known for sharing/fellowshipping. Or, the bamboo bowls are beautiful on the table and are earth friendly but not too showy; also something to consider.

Just a few of my thoughts. I hope this helps. If you are interested in any specific recipe or idea that I mentioned, let me know and I will ask Mom. :)

Good luck!

Yes, these are PC recipes that use just a whisk to put together. I live in Lancaster County. The Amish use propane tanks to supply their homes with power to run a refrigerator and freezer. I tried to include a variety of things, so they can hopefully find something they like. Plus I put the disclaimer that if those recipes don't work we can find something different. ;)

Yeah, I am going to be sure to make a list of products that I want to share with them, even if we don't use it for the recipe. I'd love to show them the APCS. I thought about adding the Taffy Apple Pizza to the list, but decided that I was making the list too long. :D

LoriLions said:
I just got off the phone with Mom and they went to the Amish market today and an Amish restaurant. The following items were plentiful at market:

eight pounds of zucchini and yellow squash for $2
large heads of cabbage 99 cents
large heads of cauliflower $2
large onions 50 cents each
cucumbers--I can't remember the cost but they were inexpensive so they bought several

For lunch they enjoyed the typical corn fritters, harvard beets, zucchini cakes, bean salad, cucumber salad, slaw, potato salad, chicken pot pie, pork and sauerkraut, and for dessert the cinnamon sugar donuts and peach pie. She said the lasagna and salmon were horrible :)

After looking at your brownie pan booklet Mom and I think that you should make the Cinnamon Sugar loaves which are similiar to their faschnuts or busy Mom's Pancakes served with ground sausage. Again, food for thought.

I can't believe the Amish are opening their home to you. I'm so happy and excited for you! Good luck and I hope it goes well. Let me know. Thanks.

Where does your mom live? I live in Leola. Love, love, love it here. My neighborhood is also right next door to a Mennonite dairy farm. Love getting our fresh milk & eggs and things there.

I'm not a huge fan of or experienced cook with Pennsylvania Dutch cooking. Most traditional PD things at the buffets & bakeries don't appeal to me. I am familiar with lots of things they make, though, so it's going to be neat to be in an Amish kitchen and get to be with them. I have other Amish customers, but this is my first cooking show host. I hope it goes well! :) Thanks for all your suggestions! :)

No personal experience here, but I think you've been given some GREAT advice!My thought is that you are walking into a community that is very much "teamwork" oriented. My guess is that this group would RATHER be up and involved as a group than sitting & watching. If you've ever had an interactive group, this would probably be it! ;) I'd give them the tools, the recipe & let them go. You can stand back & answer questions or show them a better tool to use for what they are doing. But my advice is to really let them be hands on for this show.And don't forget to see which one wants to join your team and handle all the bookings. ;)

You also have a great recruiting pool. At the spring Launch in Cincinnati there were many rows of Amish consultants throughout the hall!!!

What about an ice cream party?? Here we call it a "cold stone party"- do different mix in's and promote the ice cream scoop as the special! That shows the MFP, food chopper, microplanes and it wont heat the kitchen AT ALL! I'd also do a fruity salsa (like the mango salso but preferably something grown locally) in the bater bowl with the salad choppers to show all the uses there and talk about baking in the bowl! :)
Regardless- good luck!!

kaiser said:

I grew up in Leigh Valley area of PA. While we did not have a lot of Amish we were not to far from Amish country, but the area was full of Pennsylvania Dutch. Yum! I was glad to see your link had some favorite recipes in there. Could never get enough shoo fly pie as a kid. I think they would be great to make in our small pie tins. They are traditionally a breakfast item.

I'll be very anxious to hear what items "sell" to the Amish. We have a large, evergrowing, community of both Amish and Mennonite here in the Fingerlakes area of NY State. Please do let us know how it goes, I'd really appreciate it.

Can you share HOW you do the chocolate peanut butter trifle??? It sounds amazing and my family would LOVE it!! Thanks

2dlh said:
Can you share HOW you do the chocolate peanut butter trifle??? It sounds amazing and my family would LOVE it!! Thanks

I got the recipe from JanetUpNorth, when she shared it a long time ago here on CS. It's my family's favorite and my son even asked for it for his birthday instead of a cake. :D

So here's how to do it:

Bake a batch of brownies in the large Bar Pan. While they cook, measure 1 cup creamy peanut butter in the Measure-All cup. Put PB into microcooker and microwave for 30 seconds-1 minute, till it's melted. Pour 3 cups milk into one of our mixing bowls (or just add it to the large microcooker after melting the peanut butter, just be careful stirring later because it'll be pretty full.) Add 2 small boxes of Chocolate Instant Pudding to the milk and PB and stir with a whisk. The peanut butter will get a little clumpy, that's okay. Set aside. Then cut up Reese's PB Cups. I like to use a lot, about 10 or more regular or snack size ones, not miniatures though. Cut each cup into 9 pieces.

To assemble, cut brownies up and put 1/2 of them in the trifle bowl. Then layer 1/2 of the pudding. Then 1/2 of a large container of Cool Whip. Then 1/2 of the PB cups. Then repeat layers. It will completely fill the trifle bowl. Soooo good!

Thank You.....I can't wait to try it!!! My kids love anything peanut butter!!

So....the show is tomorrow night!! I'm pretty nervous since she left a message the other day identifying herself and saying that we're doing the Bridal Shower on Tuesday night and then said the recipe she selected from my list. Bridal Shower???!!! Whoa! I had no idea this was a bridal shower! So I called her back and we talked a bit about it. I'm not really sure what I'm doing now!! I've never done a bridal shower before.

1. What types of recipes will be featured on the Amish Cooking Show?

The Amish Cooking Show will feature traditional Amish dishes such as shoofly pie, chicken and dumplings, and homemade bread. It will also include modern twists on Amish classics and recipes that are popular in Amish communities.

2. Will there be any vegetarian or vegan options on the Amish Cooking Show?

Yes, the Amish Cooking Show will include some vegetarian and vegan recipes, as well as options for those with dietary restrictions. Our goal is to showcase a variety of Amish dishes that can be enjoyed by everyone.

3. Can I find these recipes online or in a cookbook?

Some of the recipes featured on the Amish Cooking Show may be available online, but many of them will be exclusive to the show. However, we do offer a Pampered Chef cookbook that features Amish-inspired recipes that you can purchase.

4. Will the Amish Cooking Show include tips for traditional cooking methods?

Yes, the show will not only feature recipes, but also tips and techniques for traditional Amish cooking methods. Our goal is to not only share delicious recipes, but also preserve the unique cultural practices of Amish cooking.

5. Are there any special guests or guest chefs on the Amish Cooking Show?

Yes, we will have some special guest chefs from Amish communities who will share their expertise and traditional recipes. We will also have some surprise celebrity guests who are fans of Amish cooking and want to learn more about it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Amanda_RI
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • Rachelackerman1
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • elijahstrust