• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Accepting Checks: Do You Ask for ID?

In summary, the conversation discusses various policies and experiences with accepting checks as a form of payment in direct sales. Some sellers prefer to have checks made out to them, while others have them made out to the host. Some have had issues with bad checks, while others have not had any problems. Some have implemented a fee for bounced checks, while others handle the situation themselves. Ultimately, it is up to the individual seller to decide their policy on accepting checks.
supergirljennie
I just wondered what everyone's policy on accepting checks is. Do you ask to see ID when you accept a check for payment? Thanks.

Jennifer, it really depends on what you want to do. I have only had 1 check returned to me (and that was actually BANK error - really, they closed the wrong account and sent me a letter of explanation and reimbursed her the NSF fee!).

I always ask that outside order checks be made out to the host, and orders at the show can be made out to me. It is just easier to keep track of that way, and I can see who is actually writing me the check (and no, I never ask for ID). Plus, I then have their contact info in case they didn't write it on the door prize slip!

If my gut feeling tells me not to accept checks from a certain crowd, I don't. I have them make them out to the host, and she writes me one check.

Hi Jennifer,

I have been selling for 2 years and have never had a bad check. I have really great host with reliable guest, I guess. I know my upline director had a returned check, now she no longer accepts checks, but takes one big check from her host when she closes the show.

I use the outside order forms at the show with the guest specials on them. Lately, it says that I prefer debit or credit as a method of payment and I have less checks.

Happy selling!

I've only had one bounced check and did eventually get my money. Other than that - never a problem and I have all the checks made out to me. I don't have the hostess write one big check, I prefer individal checks. Then if there is a problem I only deal with that person. And, no I don't ask for ID.

I've been selling since February. I had not had any problem with hot checks until August. In one show I had 4! Totallying over $300. I've had a couple since as well. I've decided to charge a $20 return check fee. That's more than my bank charges, but it's an inconvenience. Also, my new rule is that I do not accept checks from those not attending the show. All of the hot checks I've had were from people in the office where the host works that didn't attend the show.

I haven't had a problem with bad checks yet *knock on wood* but I think I am going to start a policy about check writing. Especailly for outside orders, that way I don't have to worry abotu a hot check.

I have been selling since April and have not had a bad check so far. Hopefully, I will not have to face that problem. If I do, I guess that would change my outlook on taking them.

I just charged my first $20 fee - the guest didn't even question it. I've had WAY to many, and my husband is none too happy.

I have only had one bad check. It was for an outside order & as soon as I contacted the guest, she knew exactly why I was calling. Apparently her bank did an unauthorized withdrawal & a bunch of her checks bounced. Two days later I got a money order in the mail for the amount plus the $25 my bank charged me. As much as I would like to not have do deal with bad checks, I feel as the professional that I should deal with it, not the host. In the future I may decide to have the outside orders written to the host, but I'll see how it goes for now writing them to me.

I originally started out having all checks written to the host and they write me one big check. But, I experienced a delay in getting the check from the hostess and most times I close the show over the phone so they'd have to mail the check to me.

The start of this year, I decided to change that and have all checks written to me. "KNOCK ON WOOD" I haven't had any challenges yet but I think the idea of having outside orders made out to the hostess and then those attending made out to me is a good idea.

I'm doing a fundraiser next month and asked that all checks be made out to the sorority and then they write me one check. I did this since I figure there are going to be alot of outside orders of people I won't actually meet and the chances of them writing the sorority a bad check is less than them doing it to me.

Hey Jen, are you in Kynana Simison's cluster?

This is what I do--All outside order checks are written to the host. All orders at the show can write their check to me (or pay by credit/debit, which is preferred!).

I have had three bad checks. In every case, I made them pay my bank fee (only $10) and they were all very embarassed and paid me immediately with cash.

I have had one bad check, and that was from a host and she paid right away. I tell people to make checks out to me, but more often than not the customer leaves the "pay to" section blank and I put my name in there. I always cash the checks before depositing the money. That way, if it bounces, then it's all on the customer and not at me. My bank teller recommends doing this.

I have had 2 bad checks in my 3 years of business. With the first one I just collected her products and mailed them back to PC eating the cost of my bank fee (I had only been in business about 2 or 3 months and didn't know any better).

The second happened in May. I tried calling the lady and spoke with her husband on several occasions. Each time he promised me he was mailing a money order in the mail that afternoon. I didn't keep up on it like I should have because I had a baby, moved to TX, and have had ISSUES. However, I did call them, like I said. Finally the husband tells me that they put the check in the mail 2 weeks ago and doesn't know why I haven't received it yet. After that call I contacted the Attorney General's office. Her check was for $50 (her total was $45 and some change, but then she rounded up "from the hear" to $50). I am asking for $80 for bank fees, phone charges, postage and the hassle. I feel badly to do it, but it is now October and I haven't received payment from a show in May!! I think that is a little crazy.

I think people need to understand that we are not like Wal-Mart. For Wal-Mart missing $60 is just a drop in the bucket. So my new policy is no checks! I accept debit/credit card. If someone needs to write a check I have them write it to the host and she pays me when we close with her credit or debit card. I would never accept a check from the host (too large of an amount, in most cases).

I used to do like some of the others; people at the party could write checks, but not outside orders. Not any longer. I had a party after my new policy and one lady got upset that I wouldn't take her check. I just can't afford to.

I always have guests make the checks out to the hosts. I like the simplicity of only handling one check and it's less of a chance of a bounced check.

sailortena said:
I have had one bad check, and that was from a host and she paid right away. I tell people to make checks out to me, but more often than not the customer leaves the "pay to" section blank and I put my name in there.

I always cash the checks before depositing the money. That way, if it bounces, then it's all on the customer and not at me. My bank teller recommends doing this.

Do you have to go to THEIR bank to cash it or can you cash it at any bank?

You have to go to the bank that is printed on the check. I thought about doing that before, but when you've got 10 checks and 5 or 6 banks to go to it becomes too much of a hassle for me. I am speaking for myself only. It is hard enough to find time to shower with 3 kids and an infant and running my own business. I do not have time to drive all over the city cashing checks. IMHO.

I used to seell PC years ago, and also sold Avon, now I am back at PC. I have had to deal with bounced checks and I just told the people that they were to give me a new payment and they asked for the amount of the fee that I was charged and reimbursed me for it.

They were far more embarrassed about the situation, than I was upset. I always tell my guests that I prefer charge but if someone really wants to pay with a check, I will.

And if it bounces... unfortunately that is the cost of doing business and being in business for myself. In all my years it's only happened twice... (it's been 6 years now.)

I cannot imagine telling all my guests that I can't accept their payment because of two idiots.

dannyzmom said:
Do you have to go to THEIR bank to cash it or can you cash it at any bank?

I cash it at MY bank where I have my checking account. The tellers are happy to do it. I use Bank of America. I have also done this at Regions Bank where I have another account.

I don't drive to the different banks where people have an account that the check is written on. Where I am they would try to charge you a check-cashing fee or something. So I stick to my own bank. And I have cashed both local and out-of-state checks this way.

Last edited:
The problem is...If you cash a check at your bank, and it is drawn on another bank, it will be charged back to your account with all of the fees if it is returned by the customer's bank. So cashing it at your bank does not prevent any issues.

The only way to ensure no returned check fees is to cash a check at the bank from which it is drawn.

In the 16 mos I've been selling, I only had one check bounce and I just redeposited it. The customer said the bank made and error and to just redeposit. So I did and it worked out. Phew!

Related to Accepting Checks: Do You Ask for ID?

1. Can I ask for a customer's ID when accepting a check?

Yes, you are allowed to ask for a customer's ID when accepting a check as a form of payment.

2. Why should I ask for ID when accepting a check?

Asking for ID can help prevent check fraud and ensure the validity of the check.

3. What information should I look for on the customer's ID?

You should look for the customer's name, photo, and signature on their ID to compare with the information on the check.

4. Are there any legal requirements for asking for ID when accepting a check?

There are no specific legal requirements for asking for ID when accepting a check, but it is recommended as a security measure.

5. Can I refuse to accept a check if a customer does not provide ID?

Yes, as a business owner, you have the right to refuse a form of payment if you feel it is necessary for security purposes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• keynibear
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
huskerlissa
  • Doraine
  • Bookings, Sales, Shows, Booths etc
Replies