• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can Applesauce Replace Oil in a 10 Minute Cake Recipe?

In summary, for the 10 Minute Cake With Applesauce, you will need 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg, 1/4 cup of unsalted butter, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce, and 1/4 cup of milk. You can substitute the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour or a gluten-free flour blend, but note that the texture and taste may differ. It is recommended to grease an 8
Jeans Garden
Gold Member
A future host just asked if we could make the 10 Min. Cake (cake mix & tub of icing) in the fluted pan but use applesauce in place of the oil, as she does with oven cakes. As anyone tried this? And if so, how did it turn out?

I can find recipes online using a cake mix, pie filling and applesauce but haven't found it with just the cake mix, eggs and applesauce.

Thanks in advance. . .

I haven't tried it in the microwave, but I don't see why you couldn't. Since you are making the cake batter up as normal.You just use the same amount of applesauce as the amount of oil called for. So if 1/4 c oil- use 1/4 cup applesauce. Sometimes, I've found the cake is moister and doesn't rise as much- but tastewise- you can't tell (I actually almost prefer them).

There's a new cake recipe in the SB, Warm Ginger Cake or something like that. It's made with applesauce instead of oil and turns out great. I thought there was a bit too much ginger taste, so will use much less next time. But the concept of using applesauce worked just fine. So check out that recipe and see how you can alter it for another flavor variety to suit you & your host's likes. ;)

What ingredients do I need for the 10 Minute Cake With Applesauce?

You will need 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg, 1/4 cup of unsalted butter, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce, and 1/4 cup of milk.

Can I use a different type of flour instead of all-purpose?

Yes, you can substitute the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour or a gluten-free flour blend. Just keep in mind that the texture and taste of the cake may be slightly different.

Do I need to grease or line the pan before pouring in the batter?

Yes, it is recommended to grease an 8-inch round cake pan before pouring in the batter. You can also line the pan with parchment paper for easy removal of the cake after baking.

How do I know if the cake is done?

You can insert a toothpick into the center of the cake and if it comes out clean, the cake is done. Another way is to gently press the top of the cake with your finger, if it bounces back, it is done.

Can I add any other ingredients to the cake batter?

Yes, you can add in chopped nuts, raisins, or dried cranberries to the batter for some extra texture and flavor. You can also sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top before baking for a sweet crust.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• frozenchef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies