• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why do I always get sucked into political debates on online forums?

In summary, a thread about McCain's VP pick on CS turned into a heated debate, causing some members to question the value of their membership. Some chose to stay away, while others couldn't resist reading and even posting on the thread. The discussion went beyond political views and began attacking religion, ethics, and patriotism. Some members tried to steer the conversation in a different direction, but the thread ultimately became too negative and was eventually requested to be locked by multiple members.
Chef Kearns
Gold Member
I knew I shouldn't have opened the thread about McCain's VP pick on CS! :rolleyes: I did anyway and now I am sucked in! I got in the debate! Why oh why did I do that? :cry:I told myself I could just read it and leave my opinions to myself, but NO! I just HAD to post and now I have to defend myself! :yuck::rolleyes:

I need to just stop going over there at all!

Kinda like a train wreck... ya know you shouldn't, but you just have to stop and look.

(thanks, now I have to too!)

LOL! Just had to share the grief!

Now I remember why I don't open threads like that! Or post for that matter. I choose not to put myself in a situations where I have to defend my views, or be stoned to death. Kudos to you for stating your truth!

so glad I haven't opened that post over there =)

I'm a little disappointed that thread was even started. I understand members are going to post some threads that aren't related to PC, but they're generally related to life issues such as toilet training, marriage, family vents etc. There is a good reason for the adage not to discuss religion, politics, or money. It just creates division where none is needed. This is the first time since joining ChefSuccess I've questioned the value of my membership or recommending it to others. I just want a site where I can focus on growing my business and supporting others trying to do the same.:angel:

Ditto what Kris said!

I opened it as I was interested in learning more about the VP pick, but soon realized it was going south fast! Haven't been back since!

Okay, now you have made me interested in the trainwreck. Must stay away, must stay away!

You can do it! Don't look!

I don't like discussing politics or religion when I know that an arguement will follow - I have stayed away from this one!

Now, my nosey side really wants me to read it, but I have resisted so far...

I read it. It definitely gets your emotions going.

However, I am choosing not to post on it. I get to rant to my hubby instead. Luckily even though we each grew up with parents with different political views, we tend to vote the same way. We both are moderates who look at the individual rather than the party. I will never agree with everything on either ticket.

legacypc46 said:
I've questioned the value of my membership or recommending it to others. I just want a site where I can focus on growing my business and supporting others trying to do the same.:angel:

Precisely why I didn't renew my subscription to CS.

Well, I ventured there and read it. It is quite spirited!

I asked Greg to lock it......too many feelings getting hurt for it to continue and not the kind of thread that should be on this kind of forum anyway!

chefmeg said:
Ditto what Kris said!

I opened it as I was interested in learning more about the VP pick, but soon realized it was going south fast! Haven't been back since!

Wow! I admire your restraint!

Hmmm...I thought it was just going to be a "I'm for this guy" or "I'm for that guy" kind of thing....but WHAT A MESS! They are taking shots at religion, ethics, patriotism and everything else in the book.

I'm not looking anymore --- turn away, turn away....

Okay, I could not resist posting. However, I just tried to take the post in a totally different direction. Hopefully it works!

chefmeg said:
I asked Greg to lock it......too many feelings getting hurt for it to continue and not the kind of thread that should be on this kind of forum anyway!

so did I----

jwpamp said:
Hmmm...I thought it was just going to be a "I'm for this guy" or "I'm for that guy" kind of thing....but WHAT A MESS! They are taking shots at religion, ethics, patriotism and everything else in the book.

Remind me again how that helps with our PC biz's? ;)

finley1991 said:

On to bigger FUN!! I think PC related is much better--Too bad there is not a negative free day!!

finley1991 said:

Not that I'm happy about the debate, but that is what the Lounge is for. We talk about all kinds of things. It is a bit out of control now though.

You are right abou the Lounge, but when people start attacking others, it's wrong! I haven't been over there this morning, so I will check to see if it's still open.....I hope not!

Chef Kearns said:
Not that I'm happy about the debate, but that is what the Lounge is for. We talk about all kinds of things. It is a bit out of control now though.

I totally understand that... :) I remember when I was on CS that there were people who would post all the time in the lounge about everything under the sun and then post in the bookings thread that they didn't have any shows. It would be nice if there were a way to limit "lounge" postings so that people could use the forum really for what it's for.

But that would be censorship and that would create a whole new debate!!!! :yuck:

1. What is "Urgh! I Knew Better!"?

"Urgh! I Knew Better!" is a collection of recipes and tips designed to help you make healthier choices in the kitchen. It includes easy and delicious options for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.

2. Who is the author of "Urgh! I Knew Better!"?

The author of "Urgh! I Knew Better!" is a certified nutritionist and chef who has years of experience in creating healthy and tasty meals. She is also a representative for Pampered Chef and is passionate about helping others make positive changes in their eating habits.

3. Are the recipes in "Urgh! I Knew Better!" difficult to make?

No, the recipes in "Urgh! I Knew Better!" are designed to be simple and easy to follow. They use common ingredients and basic cooking techniques, making them accessible to cooks of all levels.

4. Are there any special dietary options included in "Urgh! I Knew Better!"?

Yes, "Urgh! I Knew Better!" includes a variety of recipes that cater to different dietary needs, such as gluten-free, vegetarian, and dairy-free. There are also options for those following a low-carb or low-calorie diet.

5. Can I purchase "Urgh! I Knew Better!" through Pampered Chef?

Yes, "Urgh! I Knew Better!" is available for purchase through Pampered Chef. You can order it through a Pampered Chef consultant or directly from the Pampered Chef website.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • janetupnorth
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
ChefEileen
Replies
Views