• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Do You Do When Customers Come with Problems and No Receipts?

A
Adrian
Oh my gosh, they don't prepare you very well for this in your new consultant training. I have customers coming to me with all sorts of problems and of course, none of them have their receipts. Here are the problems I've seen so far:

Ice cream scoop corroding - past the guarantee date, no receipt. I think she's out of luck, but she is the kind that will hold it against us forever.

Broken whisk out of a set of four - no receipt, more than a year old. She will pay, but can she replace just the one and not all four?

Knife with a broken tip - it's a lifetime guarantee, but will they take it if she doesn't have the receipt? This gal was a past consultant so she should know better!

Stone broke just putting the pizza in the oven - how do they define what is "normal wear & tear" and what isn't?

What do you do when these people bring you all the problems from their past consultants expecting you to fix them? I've heard of people even hauling their broken stuff to your Cooking Shows expecting you to correct it on the spot - sheesh!

Thanks!

Adrian

Okay. They need their reciepts, that's all there is to it.

Ice cream scoop, definately no return because it's past it's gaurantee. Even if she did have a receipt they wouldn't accept it.

Broken wisk, they don't have 1 part of 4 parts set available as a replacement "part". However, you could buy the whole set and sell it (the wisk) to her for 1/4 the price of the whole set. I've done that.

Knife, needs that receipt!! They will process a return if she can find her reciept.

Stone, should be replaced if it was a freak occurence (which is what it sounds like to me).

You need to let them know that you'll handle it in the best way possible, gather as much information as possible, encourage them to dig up that receipt. And stress very importantly at your full service checkout that they need to keep the reciept. Tell them to keep it under their silverware drawer! (great place and they'll never lose it)'

Good luck! I've seen a few bring broken items to shows, and most are just curious about getting them replaced or seeing if there is something new available. Everyone has been understanding about the fact that I cannot correct everything immediately and that it requires cooperation on their part.

If you can ask them what the HOSTS name was and a good estimate around when the show was you should be able to call the solution center & get help. When its a gift people don't have receipts - so with the knife because it is lifetime guarantee PC will most likely just replace it. The solution center is usually good about this stuff, just try to get as much info as possible.

I have helped lots of people without receipts. It's good customer service.

I first ask what happened (warranty: did not perform in the way we promised it would which includes breakage in use but not dropping), then do you have a receipt "because it's much easier to find the order that way", then when, who... They can usually come up with an aproximate date, host and sometimes even consultant name. CS is really good at finding things. Don't promise but assure them you'll do your best. Sometimes you can just give CS the customer name and they find everything they've ordered recently - but still try to get as much info as you can to make the operator's life easier.

I just had one that needed a DCB replaced. Her sister remembered the consultant's name and they were both sure the sister was the host and it was Feb 08. When I called CS we found that the item was not on the sister's show but the CS operator saw that the consultant also did a show for the customer in Feb 07 and the item was on there. Fortunately, it was within days of being 3 years. I am now her new best friend.

People do come out of the woodwork with this stuff but I promise you it doesn't happen ALL the time. I would bet the people you are meeting haven't had a consultant in some time and that's why it seems like a lot right now. I try to get them to keep the item and then I call them with the answer and then email the specifics.

Also, the ice cream scoop lady...have her try Bar Keeper's Friend and see if that removes the tarnish. Did she put it through the dishwasher? The use and care card explains that that is a no-no, and also that the finish will tarnish if not washed and dried by hand. But, many try using the Bar Keepers Friend and it works. I've had mine tarnish from not being hand dried, or from sitting in the dry sink with just the ice cream on it puddled. I used our SS cleaner and it helped a lot, but I'm going to buy some of that BKF and see if it'll get it nicer.

I've heard of consultants telling their customers to save their receipts under the silverware tray before. What exactly is the receipt? Is it the white copy of the three carbon copy order form? Or is it what comes with the order (the little 1/3 sheet)? Also, how do you guys bring up the keeping of receipts without sounding negative (like "Something will go wrong so you might want to hang on to this so you can return it later")? When I say it, I can't get a positive message behind it.

The receipt is the copy you give them at the party. Different consultants use different things. I use the pink copy of the 3-part form. (I like to keep the white copy for me because it's the cleanest and clearest copy.) The P3 Sales Receipt is also a great receipt to give customers. I use those for the host and all outside orders. The little sheet that comes in the shipment is just to help the host sort the orders, but it is not an official receipt.I just tell people that they need to hold onto the receipt for guarantee reasons. This way they can look up how long ago they got it and it will make their call to CS much easier. Not every product has a lifetime guarantee, that's why they need a receipt! Most times, they don't need a receipt when they are working with the consultant who sold it to them. All the returns I've helped with have never been required to include the receipt. It comes into play with situations like the ones you've encountered--people years later showing up at a party w/ a product and no recollection of details.

I don't remember ever selling a 4 whisk set....are you sure that one is a PC product?

I tell people that I hope they keep me as their consultant forever but if they lose track of me or forget my name the receipt will be important to have if they ever need to use the warranty. I always thought that the silverware drawer was a crazy place to leave it (but I know people who do it) - I wouldn't have room for the silverware if I did that (even just with receipts from before becoming a consultant). I suggest a file folder kept where they keep important papers.

I make the warranty a very positive thing, mentioning our great CS and how easy it is to get something replaced with PC. It really is especially compared to most companies.

As far as the receipts, I keep the yellow copy for myself,l the pink copy goes to customer when they pay, and the white copy will go to host to put in the bag of products when it's delivered. I also was under the impression that this white receipt, or one printed on PP Sales Receipts, were the "official" receipt if something needed to be sent in. I also praise our company for the product warranty -- WalMart/Target doesn't offer a warranty, JC Penney doesn't offer a warranty -- but we do; every single product has a warranty so just in case something does happen, we can get it replaced.

gaddischef said:
As far as the receipts, I keep the yellow copy for myself,l the pink copy goes to customer when they pay, and the white copy will go to host to put in the bag of products when it's delivered. I also was under the impression that this white receipt, or one printed on PP Sales Receipts, were the "official" receipt if something needed to be sent in. I also praise our company for the product warranty -- WalMart/Target doesn't offer a warranty, JC Penney doesn't offer a warranty -- but we do; every single product has a warranty so just in case something does happen, we can get it replaced.

The white one says Host/Home Office copy. The pink one is labeled "customer copy". Each layer has the guarantee info on the back, each could serve as an official receipt.

babywings76 said:
The white one says Host/Home Office copy. The pink one is labeled "customer copy". Each layer has the guarantee info on the back, each could serve as an official receipt.
Not anymore. Now, the white copy is the Customer Copy, the pink goes to the host, and the yellow is for the consultant. It's been that way since they started blacking out the CC info on the pink copy for the host - I think 2 seasons ago?;)IF you are giving the white copy to the host and the pink copy to the customer, then that would be giving away the customers private CC info to someone else.

ChefBeckyD said:
Not anymore. Now, the white copy is the Customer Copy, the pink goes to the host, and the yellow is for the consultant. It's been that way since they started blacking out the CC info on the pink copy for the host - I think 2 seasons ago?;)IF you are giving the white copy to the host and the pink copy to the customer, then that would be giving away the customers private CC info to someone else.
I just looked and the forms are dated 9/08. I guess I'm still using the old ones up before switching to the new ones. (I have 2 small packs that I got for free, but am using up old ones.) Guess I forgot about the new format when I posted. :blushing:I don't give the host her guests' receipts, only the outside orders printed on P3 receipts. So I'm not giving her credit card info either way. ;) I have the host use the packing slip guest slips as her guide to sorting. So when do you give the host the guest's receipts? After the show, that night? Or do you mail it to them later? Is it really necessary to give that copy out?

babywings76 said:
I just looked and the forms are dated 9/08. I guess I'm still using the old ones up before switching to the new ones. (I have 2 small packs that I got for free, but am using up old ones.) Guess I forgot about the new format when I posted. :blushing:I don't give the host her guests' receipts, only the outside orders printed on P3 receipts. So I'm not giving her credit card info either way. ;) I have the host use the packing slip guest slips as her guide to sorting. So when do you give the host the guest's receipts? After the show, that night? Or do you mail it to them later? Is it really necessary to give that copy out?
I hate mailing them later if I don't have to. I always give the host receipts the night of her party.(and will help her transfer OOF to regular receipts that night also) Because we are one day shipping from HO, often, the order gets to her before anything I send through the USPS would get to her....and MANY times, the packing slips for people aren't in the box, so it's best to give her receipts, so she has something to use for sorting and packing peoples orders.Plus, often, my hosts will say something like "Oh, good, now I can see what everyone bought!" It's just fun for them to go through the receipts, I think. :)

ChefBeckyD said:
I hate mailing them later if I don't have to. I always give the host receipts the night of her party.(and will help her transfer OOF to regular receipts that night also) Because we are one day shipping from HO, often, the order gets to her before anything I send through the USPS would get to her....and MANY times, the packing slips for people aren't in the box, so it's best to give her receipts, so she has something to use for sorting and packing peoples orders.

Plus, often, my hosts will say something like "Oh, good, now I can see what everyone bought!" It's just fun for them to go through the receipts, I think. :)

I agree but if there are lots of outside orders or she expects several in the next day I offer to keep the ones from the show so she gets them all together. Some appreciate that. It's really up to you how you handle it - just so the guest gets a copy.

Adrian, one thing that got me when I was new, a lot of folks seem to think there is a lifetime guarantee on EVERYthing PC sells. Clearing up that misconception helped with a lot of these "returns".

And yes, I've had folks bring broken items to a show. Such as a mini-spatula with a wood handle (it changed to plastic years ago) which could no way be under warranty.

I explain the return/guarantee process and give them the info to contact HO for themselves. For people who have bought from me, I do the online adjustment for them and send them the address to ship back, if the adjustment says they need to return it.

Wow, thank you everyone, that is all good info! My head is spinning - there is so much to learn when you start a new business. I did have a hard time sorting out my first order.

It came in four different boxes and it didn't have anything to tell me what went to who. A lot of customers had placed outside orders over the internet, or the phone, so I had to dig through all sorts of E-mails and little post-it notes to try and figure out what everyone ordered and then I almost gave the family sized pitcher and the regular sized pitcher to the wrong customers! I finally dragged my laptop upstairs so I could look on PPP and see who had what. I guess I could have printed off the order summaries, but my printer link is broken, so I haven't been able to figure out how to print anything lately.

I guess I am spoiled by Stampin' Up! They put a great summary in every shipment that has each guest's name, what they ordered, and if anything is on back order. It's all about learning a new process and a new system. I'll get the hang of it one of these days.

Thanks!

Adrian

Your packing slip should have a break down for each customer. I'm shocked that your box didn't!

Adrian said:
Wow, thank you everyone, that is all good info! My head is spinning - there is so much to learn when you start a new business. I did have a hard time sorting out my first order.

It came in four different boxes and it didn't have anything to tell me what went to who. A lot of customers had placed outside orders over the internet, or the phone, so I had to dig through all sorts of E-mails and little post-it notes to try and figure out what everyone ordered and then I almost gave the family sized pitcher and the regular sized pitcher to the wrong customers! I finally dragged my laptop upstairs so I could look on PPP and see who had what. I guess I could have printed off the order summaries, but my printer link is broken, so I haven't been able to figure out how to print anything lately.

I guess I am spoiled by Stampin' Up! They put a great summary in every shipment that has each guest's name, what they ordered, and if anything is on back order. It's all about learning a new process and a new system. I'll get the hang of it one of these days.

Thanks!

Adrian

Box #1 should have had bags and packing slips telling the host (you) what each box contained, what was on B/O, and then individual slips with each person's order on it. You can call HO and see if they can email you one whole packing list. Also, pull open your show in P3 and do a show summary vs sorting through emails. I'd still call HO and let them know as our company strives to succeed! :)

I just received a catalog show, and there were no individual packing lists with each guest's order. I asked another consultant about that, and she said the same thing happened to her. Not sure what's up with that, and I received WAY too many bags.

JAE said:
I just received a catalog show, and there were no individual packing lists with each guest's order. I asked another consultant about that, and she said the same thing happened to her. Not sure what's up with that, and I received WAY too many bags.

I know this. All my hosts get those guest packing slips, I've never once gotten them for my own shows. I just get one long packing list that states everything in the box.

Sheila said:
Your packing slip should have a break down for each customer. I'm shocked that your box didn't!

Yeah, I was kind of surprised too. I kept digging and digging through the scrap paper looking for them. I also got WAY too many bags. I guess I'll figure it out eventually.

Thanks!

Adrian

I've had a show come with bags but no packing slip and packing slips but no bags. Luckily I had lots of extra bags from the abudance they give with alot of shows. I actually was able to use them for a mall booth I did with another consultant during Christmas and we had just enough!

As far as the receipts go, I always plan on mailing outside order receipts to the guests but always forget. Would you say to go back and send receipts to outside orders or just leave it and start making sure everyone gets receipts from now on?

I like the idea of just copying outside orders onto regular order forms and leaving the white sheets for the host to put in the bags once the orders come in.

Sheila said:

LOL! It's not a rare thing. Try having an over $5000 Fundraiser shipped to you (over 20 boxes) with no packing slips...AND no bags. I called, and was able to get bags sent to me next day, but was told that once the show has processed, there is no way to reprint packing slips. My whole house was covered in piles of product while I sorted it all out.:eek:

Related to What Do You Do When Customers Come with Problems and No Receipts?

1. What do I do if a customer comes to me with a problem and no receipt?

If the customer purchased the product from your company, you can try to locate their purchase in your records using their name, email, or credit card information. If the customer purchased the product from a different retailer, they may need to contact that retailer for assistance. If the customer does not have a receipt or proof of purchase, you may not be able to provide a refund or replacement.

2. Can a customer replace just one item from a set without a receipt?

It depends on the company's return and exchange policy. Some companies may allow customers to return or exchange individual items from a set, while others may require the entire set to be returned. If the customer does not have a receipt, they may need to provide additional proof of purchase such as a credit card statement.

3. Will a lifetime guarantee still apply without a receipt?

It depends on the company's policy and the specific terms of the lifetime guarantee. Some companies may require a receipt or proof of purchase in order to honor the guarantee. However, if the customer can provide other evidence of their purchase, such as a credit card statement or warranty registration, the guarantee may still apply.

4. How do companies determine what is considered "normal wear & tear"?

This can vary depending on the product and the company's policies. Generally, normal wear and tear refers to the expected deterioration of a product over time with regular use. Companies may use their own discretion in determining whether a product has experienced normal wear and tear or if it was damaged due to a manufacturing defect or misuse.

5. What do I do if a customer brings up past issues from previous consultants?

If the customer purchased the product from a previous consultant, they should contact that consultant for assistance. However, if the customer is bringing up past issues at your cooking shows, you can politely explain that you are not responsible for products purchased from previous consultants and that they should reach out to them for assistance. If necessary, you can also provide the customer with contact information for the previous consultant or the company's customer service department.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• hselby87
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Chefgirl2
  • chefmelody
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
PC1
  • pamperedchef88