• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director This Is a New One....trying to Figure Out What to Say Next...

In summary, the host's friend wrote a post-dated check for the host to deposit, but the host had already deposited the check the day of the show. The host's account will also be charged if the check is bad, and the host tries to negotiate with the guest to eat the bounced check fee.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
Just when you think you've heard it all...I got home from dropping my son off at school to a voice mail from my host from last Saturday. She let me know that one of her friends had written a check to me (for $98) and had post-dated the check for when she was supposed to close her show, but that I had deposited the check, and now her friends checking account was over-drawn, and she wanted to know what I was going to do about reimbursing her friend, since I shouldn't have deposited the check until that date. WHAT????First - neither of them had asked me about post-dating a check, and I had no idea she had done that. (okay - so I don't check the date on every check.) I had three shows last week, and Monday I made my usual trip to the bank and deposited the checks. Second - Really? Is it my fault if she bounces a check?OH - and the show was supposed to close on Wednesday, but the host then asked me to wait until this weekend.Third - MY account will also be charged if the check is bad. I get a $30 charge when a check I deposit into my account bounces. SO - if this were you - what would you say when you call the host?

WOW! I would explain that you we unaware that the check was post dated. You were not asked or told that it was post dated and it is your practice to deposit check right after the show so that you know they are cleared before the show has been shipped.

Ditto what Jenni said. That's what credit cards are for. Those don't process until the show closes. Checks get deposited right away. And if anyone owes anyone anything, you should get reimbursed for the fee your bank will charge. Maybe look & see if there's a state law about post dating checks for your state before calling. You might have more leverage with her if there is a law that she was violating by doing that. ;)ETA: Maybe the check to you cleared & one to someone else bounced! LOL

Sheila said:
Ditto what Jenni said. That's what credit cards are for. Those don't process until the show closes. Checks get deposited right away. And if anyone owes anyone anything, you should get reimbursed for the fee your bank will charge.

Maybe look & see if there's a state law about post dating checks for your state before calling. You might have more leverage with her if there is a law that she was violating by doing that. ;)

ETA: Maybe the check to you cleared & one to someone else bounced! LOL

I was thinking that too - because I haven't seen anything on my account yet. If that was the case, then it's really nothing to do with me is it? :)

Oh my! You're right, this is a new one. I have no problem taking a post-dated check. I will tell someone I'd rather they date it for today and then I fold the corner of it and write on my copy of their receipt when to deposit it. I'd rather they tell me than give me a check that will bounce. I'm still trying to collect on a bounced check from Feb. It's my once-a-year bad check.How important is this host to you? You know what I'm talking about - are there bookings from it, is she a repeat host, recruit leads from the show or is she someone you want to bless and release?I find it interesting that the host is the one calling you and not the guest who's check bounced. I would try to remove the host from the equation, though her friend will probably tell her everything that you say and probably misstate things.Two ways to approach it: Go full out and say, in a nice way of course, that you had no idea you were supposed to hold the check and that you expect to be reimbursed for the check and the $30 fee. You then have a negotiation point to "give in" and end up eating the $30 fee. The other way is to go all nice and apologetic and offer to eat the $30 fee. Either way I think you're going to have to eat the $30 fee. I do not think you should do anything for this woman. It sounds like they expect you to cover her bounced check fee. And repeating what is often said around here about retailers - would she ask Target to take care of it for her?You've probably thought about holding this show and not submitting until payment (cash, credit card or money order) has been received from the guest or host for this order. Good luck! Keep us posted.

Chefbeckyd said:
I was thinking that too - because I haven't seen anything on my account yet. If that was the case, then it's really nothing to do with me is it? :)

Oh so very true! OK, I'm going to laugh then if your depositing the check caused her to bounce something else. You know I'm not a nice person anyway! Did you double check with your bank today? Maybe she had auto withdrawals that she knew were going to come out. So yeah, if her check to you didn't bounce, then why are you involved? Auto withdrawals sometimes get taken out earlier than expected, from what I hear.

Nothing from my account today. I'm still practically speechless that she would ask me what I was going to do about reimbursing her friend for bouncing a check. Seriously?

This host, I'd never met before - she was an outside order at another show, and booked a show when I called for her payment info. She had one booking for May from her show, but it was with her Mom....so if I don't handle this correctly, I can see there might be a problem with that booking.

Just tell her that the guest didn't ask you to hold it and therefore you do what you normally do, deposit right away. I'd also tell her that the guest needs to contact you directly instead of using the host as her go-between, that really isn't fair to either of you. If you lose the mom's booking over this, then bless and release, you really don't need those kind of people in your life.

pamperedlinda said:
Just tell her that the guest didn't ask you to hold it and therefore you do what you normally do, deposit right away. I'd also tell her that the guest needs to contact you directly instead of using the host as her go-between, that really isn't fair to either of you. If you lose the mom's booking over this, then bless and release, you really don't need those kind of people in your life.

Odds are that the guest won't contact you anyhow as she is too embarrassed to admit she is in the wrong. She was probably hoping to guilt you into it by using the host.

You know, TECHNICALLY the bank is supposed to check the date & not accept a post dated check. She could go fuss at them. LOL

You've already gotten the advice I would have given. Tell her you weren't asked to hold it. It is not your problem and I would require her to pay you the amount in cash including the fee from your bank. Since the show isn't closed yet I would call the bank and have the trace the check to see if it cleared. If it has cleared I'd give her the option to cancel the order and reimburse the amount you were paid and inform the host of the adjusted host benefits. If it did bounce in your account, I would require the cash before submitting or cancel the order (which may be what the guest really wants- or does she want free stuff?). From the sounds of it, I doubt you'd get your $30 unless you took legal action.On the opposite side of the coin... Recently I had a check bounce because I didn't "cash it the day of the show". The show was on Friday night, I deposited it at 9am on Saturday. When I met with the customer to collect the funds she said "if you'd cashed it that day..." When I told her when I deposited she said the money was in the bank at the time. Well, it does take the bank a week to process some checks.Seriously people! Don't write a check if you don't have the money and write down what you spend so you know what's left.

Sheila said:
You know, TECHNICALLY the bank is supposed to check the date & not accept a post dated check. She could go fuss at them. LOL

Actually, a future date on the check doesn't matter. Checks can be cashed so long as there are funds in the account - even if the date is in the future.

My bank checks dates. They put a little check mark next to each field (date, to, # amount, written amount & signature) to make sure each one is completed & correct. Maybe it's a bank preference?

pamperedlinda said:
Actually, a future date on the check doesn't matter. Checks can be cashed so long as there are funds in the account - even if the date is in the future.

Years ago a check went through our account that was written for $1000, pay to line was left blank and it was not signed. Fortunately, it was cashed by the person it was given to. No one noticed the missing info. No, I didn't write that one. lol

I deposit most through the ATM but even the checks I had to the teller are not checked. They just set them in a pile and use the deposit slip and if something isn't right when they process them I get a letter.

I know in my day job when we have a check deposited is post dated I am told that;
A) it is considered fraud to write a check that is post dated.
B) in your case, you were not told to hold the check
C) she could have waited and paid the host before the show closed
D) as Sheila stated, a bank is at fault for taking the post dated check

I read this earlier and felt so bad that a customer would speak to you with such disrespect. But we all know it happens. I would have been caught off guard wanting to tell the host that had you had been told it was a post dated check you never would have cashed it. Is the host aware that you too will be penalized? Ask her what she is going to do about that...ok...my inner bad person just wrote that!!

Very difficult to handle this because it is such a double edged sword.

She didn't ask you to hold the check so it's not your fault. If she had a problem with funds she could have given you her debit card which is not charged until the show goes in. Comes out of the same account!

So, I arrived home from errands to a message from Consultant Career Solutions. Apparently, she called to complain. Waiting for a call back from Anna right now. Thankfully, I had a feeling about this one, and I called first, so Anna already knew the situation.

Chefbeckyd said:
So, I arrived home from errands to a message from Consultant Career Solutions. Apparently, she called to complain. Waiting for a call back from Anna right now. Thankfully, I had a feeling about this one, and I called first, so Anna already knew the situation.

Wow!!! Really she complained to Pampered Chef???:devil:

cincychef said:
Wow!!! Really she complained to Pampered Chef???:devil:

I'm assuming so, since I had a message saying to give them a call in regards to her check. I'm STILL waiting for Anna to call me back - Sherry in CCS said she was on the phone but would call right back. That was a couple of hours ago.

Usually HO just wants to know your side of the circumstances. If you have done everything correctly (which surely sounds like the case) then they try to "console" the caller. If you had prior "suspicious complaints" then that would be a different story, but the HO person stands behind their consultants that do no wrong.

Hang in there! {{{{HUGS}}}

Chefbeckyd said:
She wrote a check that she knew wouldn't clear, post dated it without explaining the situation to you and ASKING if that was okay & is now fussing at you and your employer because you cashed it. :grumpy: Okay, I'm going to say it. Your customer sounds like a moron. My guess is somebody's Mommy & Daddy didn't teach the important concept of "PAYING THE CONSEQUENCE FOR YOUR ACTIONS" lesson to her when she was young. Now she thinks anything that goes wrong in her life is the other person's fault and she can't fathom the thought of actually owning up to her own mistakes. I really HOPE HO doesn't cave & pay her fees!!!

Well put Sheila! At this point, I would let HO do all of the talking to her.

Chefbeckyd said:

Oh geez!! I'm sure they'll see very quickly that you did nothing wrong. Uggg, what a pain though!

Hope it turns out okay. I accidently deposited a check for someone when she specifically asked me to hold it :blushing:! Fortunately she had overdraft protection.

In Oregon, they do not honor post dated checks. What that means is they will cash them (deposit) them they day they are presented. Most times I have someone ask me when I cash the checks and I tell them immediately. If they baulk I let them know they can post date it and will hold onto it or they can pay with debit which runs when the show is closed.

Oh My Heavens! She is a piece of work!

WOW! I just cannot wait to hear how this unfolds... so sorry you're having to deal with this!

Anna from Career Solutions has never called me back. The host hasn't talked to me either, but we are supposed to close her show (finally) tomorrow. I guess I'll just wait and see. I probably would have been more proactive with HO, but I've had a really bad stomach bug the past few days, and not up to dealing with a whole lot of extra right now.

Oh....where to begin with this continuing headache.

YES - I am still dealing with this today.

First, I had talked to the host and explained how and why I do business the way I do - her take on it was that she'd done plenty of shows, and never had a consultant deposit checks before the show was closed. So I explained how PC does business and how it can be different from other home party plans. (in that PC takes out the full amount of the show, and then we get paid our commission twice a month, as opposed to other plans where it's the consultant's responsibility to pay themselves and the Co.) She actually told me that everything was okay, and it was water under the bridge, and we were fine. I talked to her yesterday, she gave me the last of her outside orders, and she was supposed to call me today at Noon to place her order and close the show.

Imagine my surprise when instead of a call from her, I get a call from Anna in Career Solutions saying that she AND her supervisor have had repeated calls from the guest (who has NEVER talked to me by the way - she won't...she passes it off to her friend the host) and the host wanted to know how this was going to be resolved.

I explained to Anna about the conversations that I've had with Sarah (the host) and she was dumbfounded. She couldn't believe it, because never once has Sarah told her about our conversations. She thought I hadn't talked to her at all!!! So she took a lot of notes about our conversations, and the way that I had suggested it could be resolved, and then said she'd call me back.

She called me back a little while ago - and said the initial complaint had come in under the guest's name, so she was going to call Sarah and tell her that this needed to be resolved with the guest, and she didn't need to be in the equation. Anna then asked me what I was willing to do to resolve the issue - since the guest seems to think that I should pay her bank fees and take care of this for her. (Oh, by the way - the check did go through on my end, so she must have written more than one check knowing she wouldn't have the money to cover them...and the other checks bounced.)

I told her that I wouldn't not pay bounced check fees for someone else who had written a bad check. That sense of entitlement just flabbergasts me. "I wrote a check that I knew I didn't have the money for in my account, and you cashed it, so you need to pay my bank fees." Not happening here. I gave Anna the same solution that I had given to Sarah - if she wanted, I would cancel her order, pay her back the amount of the order, and also give Sarah $25 in extra free product for her show to make up the difference in the show total. I figure with her 25% discount, and my commission, I would end up only being out about $5 in this scenario.

So - now I'm waiting for another call back. It's actually going to be in the guest's hands now. She won't be allowed to use her friend as her voice any more, and will have to contact me directly to take care of this. It will be interesting to see what she does. Pray for me that I'll be able to remain cool, calm, and collected if and when she calls!

LOVE how you handled it! I hope HO tells her to kiss off!

Thanks, Jenni.

This has my stomach tied in knots, which bothers me...because it's not my fault. Anna even reassured me that this really is out of my control, and not my fault. She's been great about this whole mess. Her concern has been for me to be able to keep the show and the bookings from it, so she's trying to be very careful in helping me handle it.

(Ummm...did I mention I have a show next Sat. with Sarah's Mom? We've been communicated all this week about her show too, and now I'm feeling awkward and wondering if I need to say something and clear the air with her...)

I had a feeling as this progressed that the guest had never been in contact with you. Hopefully HO/Anna will take care of it because my guess is that the guest realizes she's being ridiculous in expecting you to pay her bounced check fees so she's been trying to get other people to pressure you into paying them. Deep breaths, deep breaths. Are you going to set a deadline for Sarah to say you can submit her show?

I wouldn't involve the mom.. potentially opens an even bigger mess. Just let it lie with the mom and if something comes up just explain that you did nothing wrong

Chefbeckyd said:
(Ummm...did I mention I have a show next Sat. with Sarah's Mom? We've been communicated all this week about her show too, and now I'm feeling awkward and wondering if I need to say something and clear the air with her...)

I would not mention it to the mom. Sarah has clearly not been up front with Anna so there's no telling what, if anything, she has told her mom. Sarah is feeling the pressure from the guest to get the guest what she wants. She may even feel it's beyond acceptable so won't mention it to her mom, who would probably side with you. Yes, it will be awkward to see Sarah in person, but if you get the show submitted tonight, hopefully the orders will be in before next Sat. and there will be a sense of closure to the whole thing.

I know what you're feeling. I'm getting worked up just thinking about being on those calls with Sarah and Anna. Deep breaths and walk away from work for a while. Don't let this consume you.

Oh My Word! She is a Hot Mess! I'm willing to bet that she won't be at her mom's party, lol Good for you for standing your ground and not giving in to her riduculous demands.

Becca_in_MD said:
I had a feeling as this progressed that the guest had never been in contact with you. Hopefully HO/Anna will take care of it because my guess is that the guest realizes she's being ridiculous in expecting you to pay her bounced check fees so she's been trying to get other people to pressure you into paying them. Deep breaths, deep breaths. Are you going to set a deadline for Sarah to say you can submit her show?

Just talked to Anna again. (3rd time today)

HO will not resolve this. Anna said they need to stay in the background, and she was getting ready to call the guest, and let her know that she needed to contact me to resolve it. Apparently, she's been calling, and then letting Sarah actually do her talking for her. So Anna said that if she handed the phone off to Sarah this time, she would calmly let Sarah know that she wasn't a part of the equation, because Candace was the one who filed the complaint, and that she was the one who needed to contact me for resolution.

So if you refund the money & cancel her order, does it affect the host benefits? If so, I think it's nice that you are offering extra to the host and NOT rewarding the bad-check-writing-guest! And I agree, the host should not be involved in this at all. If the guest gave the check to the host who was supposed to relay the post dated comment to you, then the guest's complaint is with the host, not you. If the guest gave the check to you, then she needs to leave the host out of the mix.I'm so glad to hear that HO is not going to cave & give in to Candace! :D

Sheila said:
So if you refund the money & cancel her order, does it affect the host benefits? If so, I think it's nice that you are offering extra to the host and NOT rewarding the bad-check-writing-guest!

And I agree, the host should not be involved in this at all. If the guest gave the check to the host who was supposed to relay the post dated comment to you, then the guest's complaint is with the host, not you. If the guest gave the check to you, then she needs to leave the host out of the mix.

I'm so glad to hear that HO is not going to cave & give in to Candace! :D

Yes, it will affect the host benefits. It was a $89 order (before tax and shipping) And that's exactly why I want to do it that way. I don't want to reward the person who wrote the bad check, but at the same time, I don't want to negatively impact the host's benefits. Even though she's been as big (or bigger) part of this as the guest. :(

In talking to Anna this last time, as we were going through the timeline, we discovered that they (yes plural - as in both of them) were on the phone with the solution center filing a complaint at the SAME TIME I was on the phone with Anna letting her know about the phone message I'd just received. They didn't even give me an opportunity to call back from the message before calling to complain to HO about it!

Oh wow. I was originally feeling sorry for the host that she was caught-up in this nonsense...not so much now. yuck!

Lord. So if I am reading this correctly...the check for HER Pampered Chef order cleared. And then she didn't tell you not to cash it. I would say it is not your problem, but easier said than done. Glad HO is not caving to her as well.
My stomach is in knots for you. ((((HUGS))))

SMH! This is SO why I don't want to deal with checks! What a headache! Becky you are handling this with so much class. My hat is off to you.

Becky you are handling this the right way! I am sorry you have to deal with this.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} Keep up your strength. They are totally in the wrong. Karma will prevail.

baychef said:
Lord. So if I am reading this correctly...the check for HER Pampoered Chef order cleared. And then she didn't tell you not to cash it. I would say it is not your problem, but easier said than done. Glad HO is not caving to her as well.
My stomach is in knots for you. ((((HUGS))))

That's what I was thinking. Your check cleared. It's too bad this is dragging on and on. You're handling this perfectly and if I were in the same position, I would do the same thing with the HOST, not rewarding the customer. That's such a tough situation to be in. Uggg. I'm sure you're stomach is in knots and it's ruined your whole day(s). I've had complaints from unreasonable customers before and even though we've done nothing wrong, it totally eats away at you. I'm so sorry! Keep holding your head high and sticking to your guns.

I hope the future show goes well. HOpefully it won't even become an issue.

Good luck!!

I saw your post on FB too. You are totally doing the right thing!!

You handled it really well. Good job on standing your ground!

pamperedbecky said:
That's what I was thinking. Your check cleared. It's too bad this is dragging on and on. You're handling this perfectly and if I were in the same position, I would do the same thing with the HOST, not rewarding the customer. That's such a tough situation to be in. Uggg. I'm sure you're stomach is in knots and it's ruined your whole day(s). I've had complaints from unreasonable customers before and even though we've done nothing wrong, it totally eats away at you. I'm so sorry! Keep holding your head high and sticking to your guns.

I hope the future show goes well. HOpefully it won't even become an issue.

Good luck!!

I saw your post on FB too. You are totally doing the right thing!!

Thanks Becky. Your post made me cry...because you nailed it with how I've been feeling this week, and especially today as it has escalated.

Before I could call the guest to tell her what I would do, the host called my cell and left a message with a # to call them BOTH to "take care of this". I am waiting til they are home from work, and will call the guest first, and then call the host. They have been calling together (From work) and then the guest is letting the host do her dirty work for her - so I'm thinking divide and conquer by doing it this way. By calling together they are trying to manipulate and bully. They've been doing the same thing with Anna in Career Solutions.

{{{{hugs}}}} stay strong and hold your ground Becky! The guest is wrong and she knows it. The host is being bullied by her friend.

I had a customer call HO once because she didn't get her products, (consultant was in my downline) Peeved as could be, and never even called me first. the kicker? The consultant was her own daughter, LOL.

They should have given you time to respond to their message before calling HO to complain. Just reinforces the fact that this girl is used to fussing & getting her way, so she's bringing out the big guns from the beginning to hit you hard so that you'll cave & give in. :(THAT is hilarious Nancy!

Nanisu said:
I had a customer call HO once because she didn't get her products, (consultant was in my downline) Peeved as could be, and never even called me first. the kicker? The consultant was her own daughter, LOL.

That is pretty funny wow! Wouldn't want to be in that family for the holidays.:happyforyou:

The Customer service rep couldn't believe me when I told her after she called me...and she couldn't stop laughing.

<h2>1. Can I post-date a check for a Pampered Chef order?</h2><p>We do not recommend post-dating checks for Pampered Chef orders. It is important to have the funds available when the order is placed.</p><h2>2. What should I do if I accidentally post-dated a check for my Pampered Chef order?</h2><p>If you have already given the check to your consultant, please contact them immediately to discuss the situation. If the check has been deposited, please contact your bank to see if they can reverse the transaction.</p><h2>3. What if my check bounces for my Pampered Chef order?</h2><p>If your check bounces, you will be responsible for any associated fees. Please make sure you have sufficient funds in your account before writing a check for a Pampered Chef order.</p><h2>4. Can I change the closing date for my Pampered Chef show?</h2><p>Yes, you can change the closing date for your show. However, please communicate this change to your consultant so they can adjust their deposit schedule accordingly.</p><h2>5. What should I do if a check I wrote for a Pampered Chef order bounces?</h2><p>If your check bounces, please contact your consultant immediately to discuss possible solutions. They may be able to help you avoid any associated fees and keep your order on track.</p>

1. Can I post-date a check for a Pampered Chef order?

We do not recommend post-dating checks for Pampered Chef orders. It is important to have the funds available when the order is placed.

2. What should I do if I accidentally post-dated a check for my Pampered Chef order?

If you have already given the check to your consultant, please contact them immediately to discuss the situation. If the check has been deposited, please contact your bank to see if they can reverse the transaction.

3. What if my check bounces for my Pampered Chef order?

If your check bounces, you will be responsible for any associated fees. Please make sure you have sufficient funds in your account before writing a check for a Pampered Chef order.

4. Can I change the closing date for my Pampered Chef show?

Yes, you can change the closing date for your show. However, please communicate this change to your consultant so they can adjust their deposit schedule accordingly.

5. What should I do if a check I wrote for a Pampered Chef order bounces?

If your check bounces, please contact your consultant immediately to discuss possible solutions. They may be able to help you avoid any associated fees and keep your order on track.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cincychef
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • dannyzmom
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • Sheila