• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should Kids Be Allowed at Pampered Chef Team Meetings?

support .. from her. :(Having a child at a meeting can be a great way to get that support. Kids usually don't mind and are usually more attentive. They also tend to forget about their problems during a meeting. If the meeting is important to the parent, then they should go to the meeting. If the meeting isn't that important, then a sitter could be an option.
I have brought my 10 year old daughter who is more like a adult than most adults. she goes to show's with me when she can and has helped me get some of my best sales at shows because she knows as much about the products as I do. When I did bring her to a meeting they included her in the discussion. I think that you need to know how your child is going to act when they are there if they are very quiet and can sit quitely I don't see a problem. But if everyone brought their kids who knows what it may be like.

quiverfull7 said:
I have been reading this thread off and on all day now and there is this common thread weaved through everyone's posts.. both for and against the "no children in attendance" policy ... do you hear it... "It's my business so I need to run it best for me" HOWEVER ... at a cluster meeting you are meshing together many, many "my businesses" so each director has to make the very difficult decision of what is best for her group and each of us has to be understanding of one another and other consultants needs. I'm not going to state my opinion here... it doesn't matter.. but I just feel led to post that part of supporting one another both here and in our clusters, is to recognize that everyone has the right to do their business their own way.. but when we are together... we must look out for the greater good of one another's businesses as well and not just our own needs or desires. I hope this makes sense. I cannot put into words what my heart is feeling.
THANK YOU!!!:) Very well put!!! Trust me...implimenting a no child policy is NEVER easy! :(
Ann

quiverfull7 said:
I have been reading this thread off and on all day now and there is this common thread weaved through everyone's posts.. both for and against the "no children in attendance" policy ... do you hear it... "It's my business so I need to run it best for me" HOWEVER ... at a cluster meeting you are meshing together many, many "my businesses" so each director has to make the very difficult decision of what is best for her group and each of us has to be understanding of one another and other consultants needs. I'm not going to state my opinion here... it doesn't matter.. but I just feel led to post that part of supporting one another both here and in our clusters, is to recognize that everyone has the right to do their business their own way.. but when we are together... we must look out for the greater good of one another's businesses as well and not just our own needs or desires. I hope this makes sense. I cannot put into words what my heart is feeling.

Well Put!
Now from my own experience I have missed many a meeting because of childcare issues (I will be missing an awesome all day training in 2 weeks because of childcare issues, but I consider it MY problem). Do I hold it against my Hospitality director? No way! That is how she wants to run her meetings. Now I have to say that for me even if children were allowed I would not bring mine. They are good kids but they are kids and would be a distraction to me even if they were in another room being angels. I would be thinking of them the whole time wondering how they were behaving etc. Also I do not think I would want to go to meetings where there were children. I am at a meeting to concentrate on improving my business, not to worry about what someone else’s kids are doing. EXAMPLE: I was at a regional meeting a few years ago, it was an all day event and there were at least 2 children there. While they were well behaved I admit I was distracted whenever they made a peep.
I see where people here have said "why do I need to take another night away from my family or why should I pay a sitter for one more night". Well when I started my business I took all these things into account and schedule my family and myself accordingly. It is an opportunity to learn and grow your business and I personally do not look at is as "taking away" from my family. I look at it as a time for me to grow as a businesswoman.

Keep in mind these are just my personal opinions and all of you out there need to run your business in a way that best suits you and your family!!!

quiverfull7 said:

My thoughts were always, "When I'm a director, I'll have a children are welome meeting, and anyone in town (my downline or not) would be welcome." Now that I'm here, I've mooched off of my director's meetings for over 2 years! However, I would still present it to a consultant as: Promote so you can have the meetings your own way!

sillylittlechef said:
There have been comments about no children being allowed at any official PC meeting....since when are cluster meeting official PC meetings? This frustrates me as we emphasize to our recruits that this is their own business and they can run it however they want. That means that if they are a director and want to allow children then so be it...it's their choice. If PC considered cluster meetings official meetings than every director would be required to hold monthly meetings and ensure that their cluster was receiving training (really, if this is the case, please let me know because someone should be fired ....I rarely hear from my recruiter who only became director when I qualified...and quite honestly I keep her hitting her $4000 sales or whatever she needs....the only time I hear from her really is when she needs extra to hit that amount!)

Part of our director agreement is that we will hold regular cluster meetings - either with our cluster or a combination of clusters. So, your director is not following procedures.

ah! Thanks Kate for the info.
Do you think HO would help if I called looking for hospitality. I've been told that I can't call myself.

You can try - especially since your director isn't holding meetings. You also might want to ask for the info for your upline so you can contact them. Networking in this business is so awesome for things like hospitality. Also, you could put out a thread on this site to see if anyone who is near you is having meetings.

Good idea Thanks so much

quiverfull7 said:

HERE HERE!! Thanks for posting this! :D :D

Paige Dixon said:
PS I've always wanted to have a retail establishment just so I can have a sign that reads, "Nurslings are welcome here!" Just last week the lady at Copy Max asked my not to nurse there any longer (I guess they'd rather have the walls rattle while my youngest screams while waiting for my copies!). I think if she asks again I'll ask if she requests that pacifier sucking and bottle sucking babies not be in the store either.

I believe it's a federal law that if you are nursing you HAVE to be able to do it in plublic. If the store does not allow this it is discrimination. How else is your baby going to eat?

I think every director has to do what is best for the cluster and every cluster is different.

Had our TEAM meeting last night and there was a child there, I would say in the 11, 12 or 13 year old age. I thought of this thread. I must say that it was hard to concentrate and keep focus when she did cartwheels (several times throughout the meeting) and then would open her Mom's cell phone and some song would play, then ask her Mom something in a very loud whisper. One of my quirks is that I need total silence to concentrate (I hate it):( . I have never been able to "tune out" people.
Ann

I just had a brand new consultant sign up who is doing the business WITH her 13 year old daughter to pay for her college education. Although "mom" is the consultant the daughter LOVES to cook and will do a lot of the demonstrations with "mom's help. They are a team which I think is awesome! They both came to the meeting Monday night but I asked my Director about it first. She stated that any child that is actively involved in your business that is there to learn and help is more than welcome to attend. However, company sponsored events i.e. National Conference, they are not allowed to attend til they are 18. However, you unfortunately will have to abide by your Director's rules especially if it is being held at her house.

I am very serious about my business. In fact I am regularly am top sales for the month in my cluster. And I have a 1 year old that I bring to meetings. I would not be able to attend if I did not bring them. I think you need to consider the people involved. Someone who brings their kids and lets them run wild is never appreciated!

fruit76loop said:
So, now that we have discussed actual company policy, I do believe that it is of course up to the Director to decide if they will abide by these company policies or not. At my meetings, nursing children are allowed NO OTHERS, NO MATTER THE AGE OR THE BEHAVIOR. It is not fair to tell Sally consultant that she can't bring her 8 year old, but tell Julie consultant that she can bring her 10 year old. I am sure that you can all see the possible problems with bending the rules.

While I've never actually been to a cluster meeting, I'm not sure I'd consider a cluster meeting to be an OFFICIAL COMPANY MEETING -- especially since they seem to be completely different in different groups.

Specifically playing devils advocate -- do you have limits on the ages of your nursing children? I'm still breastfeeding my 13 month old, and frankly she'd be MUCH more distracting than a 13 year old at a meeting. My husband is coming with me to Conference, but not attending as a guest as he will be providing child care for our daughter who will still be breastfeeding in July (I plan to bf until she is 2 or she no longer wants to (whichever is first) or I get pregnant). I totally understand that she can't be included in Conference events, but I also can't leave her for 4 days.

However, if I were in your cluster, why should my 13 month old be allowed just because I'm nursing yet Consultant Q's 3 month old can't come because she is bottlefed?? There is still a level of unfairness there.

I don't go to cluster meetings because my director (even though she lives close to me) conducts her meetings at her old house which is 90 miles from my house (over 100 from her new house) and I'm simply not interested in driving 3-4 hours to get to a 6 pm cluster meeting (I'd have to commute through BOTH Baltimore and Washington DC traffic at RUSH hour) and then 2 hours to get home for a two hour meeting (that's an 8 hour time frame for me, so my daughter would DEFINITELY have to attend with me -- I have no idea if they'd welcome her or not, because I'm not subjecting either of us to that amount of time in the car for a meeting).

Asked not to breastfeed in a store/
Paige Dixon said:
PS I've always wanted to have a retail establishment just so I can have a sign that reads, "Nurslings are welcome here!" Just last week the lady at Copy Max asked my not to nurse there any longer (I guess they'd rather have the walls rattle while my youngest screams while waiting for my copies!). I think if she asks again I'll ask if she requests that pacifier sucking and bottle sucking babies not be in the store either.

This was a big thing while I was pregnant -- in Maryland it is specifically illegal for any business or public place in Maryland to not allow you to breastfeed -- I'm discrete since I don't want to be hanging out for the world to see, but if anyone actually asked me not to breastfeed in their establishment and enforced that (i.e., I told them that I was legally protected and they insisted I not) they are liable for something like a $1,000 fine. There was an article in one of the baby magazine's last year that published a "breastfeeding license" and detailed what the laws were in each state. If I can find it, I'll let you know what it said about CO.

My Director has a "no kids" policy too. The only children allowed are those of nursing moms (the infant that is). She even ships her kids off for all meeting; cluster AND training. I do have to agree with some of you about the no kids means no kids, if you let one in next month it'll be two and so on. Besides how do you choose and not hurt someones feelings. Its just easier to say no.

I can see younger children being tough, but a 13 yo? Does she realize your daughter is 13?

My director wouldn't have a problem with kids of any age. Her daughter (16) is usually available to babysit and they have a great playroom in their basement.

It makes me quite sad to realize that when I cross the stage at NC as a new Director or for other major recognition that my son won't be able to go across with me. Will my dh be able to? The company I am coming from is VERY big on partnership - fully believing that it is not possible to grow a business without a fully supportive partner and that they should be recognized right along with the agent. Every award I have has both mine and my dh's name on it. When I was presented with a leather jacket, so was my husband. While we haven't taken our ds (now 8) to Convention yet, we were planning on doing so this year. He would be welcome in all of the General Sessions, though not in the workshops. General Sessions are like rock concerts anyway, so he sure wouldn't be disruptive to things! We have decided not to go this year, as I plan on going to Chicago.

Anyway, that honestly is one thing that I truly am having a hard time with. He sacrifices, too, for me to build a business. I think he should be able to share in my high points by walking with me across stage.

I won't break the rules, though I will offer my thoughts on this to the powers that be if ever given the opportunity to do so.

Sandy,I understand your position. I do think that kids from age 14 and up should be allowed at General Session. I'm not up to date on those rules. However, having been to one NC, I know how many people are there - and we have three waves of huge crowds! Imagine if just 1/4 of the people brought one person with them. And then if they also brought kids.As for spouses being recognized too, I don't know what to say about that. I do know that giving rings and diamonds to both people when one earns TPC would be astronomical in price! I also don't have a spouse that WOULD go across stage much less go to conference with me...yet. When I need him to be there, he will be.

Kate,

I know that where I come from is unique and is thinking outside of the box for most people. When we went to convention 2 years ago (they are every other year), there were over 59,000 people there. (You read that right). We fill the Georgia Dome. Probably 40% of them are spouses, and most of them go to the workshops and everything. There are certainly not that many kids, but they do go and are not forbidden. They give out rings as well, and they do give them to spouses as well as the agent. Of course, the benchmark for getting them is nice and high. Believe me -- you EARN them, and make plenty for the company at the same time. The time investment to reach that point is also high. Higher than I am willing to commit at this point in my son's life. But, you would be surprised at how much more productive a person can be when the spouse is sitting back there knowing that they, too, will benefit from your success - in ways more tangible than just getting a great check.

Incentive trips always are for 2. If you want to take the kiddos, you have to pay for them always. I'm thrilled that PC offers trips for 4! I honestly didn't realize that ANY other company had as nice of trips and included spouses.

KellyRedHead, do you know of any meetings that go on closer to your home??? This way you don't have to drive so far in the snow.

I'm coming into this discussion fairly late, but I thought I'd jump in anyway! I'm a FD and my "original" cluster meetings are about 1 1/2 hours away from where my team and I live. If I didn't hold meetings at my home, my team would not attend any meetings and if I told them not to bring their kids, there wouldn't be a meeting! I've made it clear to them that while our team is young and small, kids are welcome, but as we grow, it won't be feasible to have the kids around, because they are loud and disruptive. Again, I think it's a matter of judgement and if it were me, a 13 year old would not be a problem!

Mary

Mary,That is a healthy way to look at it. As long as everyone knows your current and upcoming policies, I don't see a problem with it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
StacieB
  • Malinda Klein
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
keril
  • dannyzmom