• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should Kids Be Allowed at Pampered Chef Team Meetings?

support .. from her. :(Having a child at a meeting can be a great way to get that support. Kids usually don't mind and are usually more attentive. They also tend to forget about their problems during a meeting. If the meeting is important to the parent, then they should go to the meeting. If the meeting isn't that important, then a sitter could be an option.
KellyRedHead
Good Evening everyone!

I just wanted to ask all you Cheffers your opinion.

I was to go to a team meeting tonight ( I haven't been to one in awhile, trying to get my business back on track) so anyway, the weather here is not so great, snowy, cold below 0 and I wanted to bring my 13 year old along for company for the 45 min drive. My daughter also helps me with my business catalog stamping and is starting to go to some shows to help me carrying things etc...

I emailed my Director to tell her I would be there along with my daughter and she says I can't bring my daughter no children are allowed. :( This has been a long standing P Chef rule and also a team rule. I figured for one P Chef is a family company and it wouln't be a problem and two she is 13 yrs old not 3 yrs old.

So I wondered, how all of you run your meetings ? If you agree with her that's fine, I just want your opinion.

Thanks-
Kelly

Not sure if this is where this ?? should be, if not just let me know.

Last edited:
KellyRedHead said:
Good Evening everyone!

I just wanted to ask all you Cheffers your opinion.

I was to go to a team meeting tonight ( I haven't been to one in awhile, trying to get my business back on track) so anyway, the weather here is not so great, snowy, cold below 0 and I wanted to bring my 13 year old along for company for the 45 min drive. My daughter also helps me with my business catalog stamping and is starting to go to some shows to help me carrying things etc...

I emailed my Director to tell her I would be there along with my daughter and she says I can't bring my daughter no children are allowed. :( This has been a long standing P Chef rule and also a team rule. I figured for one P Chef is a family company and it wouln't be a problem and two she is 13 yrs old not 3 yrs old.

So I wondered, how all of you run your meetings ? If you agree with her that's fine, I just want your opinion.

Thanks-
Kelly
Personally, I think she is FULL of **IT!!!! We bring kids to our meetings all the time!

I wouldn't see the problem for having a 13 year old there. My AD invited our kids to the meetings when needed.

A 13 year old isn't such a "child" anymore, plus she might just want to have a side job soon. ;)

I agree with the no kids allowed for most types of meetings. It is two hours out of your month, at least, it should be. It is a time for you to completely focus on PC without any possible interruptions - "she hit me.....", etc. Also, even if it is part time for you, it is full time for others. If you bring your kids, it shows them that you don't value their time. And, for those who did find someone to watch their kids, it makes them feel bad too - "why do I have to pay for a sitter..." type of thing. Just think, if you were in the corporate world, would you be allowed to bring your 13 year old to a company meeting?I applaud you for getting your kid involved in the business. THAT is where it is a family company.That being said, there are times when kids should be invited to come.

I think bringing a 13 yo vs. bringing a 3yo are VERY different things.

I would think that bringing your teenager would be no big deal, especially considering the circumstances with the weather. I'm guessing she'd just sit in the back doing homework or something?

If I were your director, I'd rather have you there with your kid than not have you come at all.

I can see drawing the line somewhere, but for one she is 13 not 3 like I said and two some people can't afford to get a sitter for meetings. Especially when they are not earning any money for that evening. It's hard enough for some people to find a sitter for their show dates, but meetings are sometimes even tougher.
Thanks again for all your opinions.

Deb-
That was my opinion too! I would rather have my team member be there with the child then not at all!

I guess it bothers me because I called her and told her how my February was shaping up to be great and I was getting back on track again. And I really needed the meeting!

I feel like I need to find a new hospitality team, you can't change directors without leaving P chef for a year can you?

Last edited:
A rule has been created and it needs to be followed. No children has to mean no children regardless of their age. It is a distraction and as Kate said, they would not be welcome in a corporate setting. This isa business meeting.

Though you may not realize it, this is not an easy rule for Directors to set. . . don't make it more difficult.

Maybe there can be a summer event when the family is welcome.

See if you can find a potential recruit to ride along and keep you company.

We have a standing rule that no children are allowed unless you are a nursing mom and will be gone for feeding time. That has been the only exception ever made in our cluster. Children of any age (including husbands aka our other children) are distracting and slow down the progress of the meeting.

I think that 13 year olds should be allowed, but that is the youngest except for newborns. My director has her 8 & 10 year olds there and another director brings her 2 year old. It was very distracting to have the little one keep interupting, but I don't think she had any other choice.

At our cluster meetings there is usually a whole table full of kids. Lately, we have been meeting at a residence and there is a sitter and everyone with kids splits her fee.

We are after all a family company, why would family be absolutely excluded.

I guess it just varies from Cluster to Cluster...

We don't have children at our meetings except for newborns and we do have a 13 or 14 year old that does the shows with her mom and she comes to the shows. She's in no way a distraction...When they get to that age, they should know what to do.

A few months ago at our meeting a consultant had a problem with childcare that night and had to bring her young child. He was not disruptive at all...well I think the director's daughter took him upstairs to play with him while we had our meeting.
I'm sure this is an exception. When my boys were that age there would have been no way they'd do well in this sort of setting.

However, a 13 yo girl, I don't really consider a child so much.

I also think I'd have to 'respect' the rule, not necessarily agree with it. I'm sure it's hard to give any for fear that someone (not necessarily you) would take advantage of it and then they'd have to tell everyone no children at all.

I'm pretty taken aback that even husbands are not allowed! That is (I'm sorry) AWFUL! My husband and I are teammates as well as mates. I support him in every way in his trucking business and I am allowed in ANY room at ANY time (corporate) of the trucking company we are leased to. If they were to keep me out...we'd have some serious issues with them.
I don't consider my dh a child!

Just my little .02...

Kris

dcypcar.chef said:
We have a standing rule that no children are allowed unless you are a nursing mom and will be gone for feeding time. That has been the only exception ever made in our cluster. Children of any age (including husbands aka our other children) are distracting and slow down the progress of the meeting.
My cluster is the same way.

I don't think the "No Kids" rule is a Pampered Chef company rule - I think it must be a "Team" rule. I believe it's up to the discretion of the Director holding the cluster meeting.

Most of the cluster meetings I've been to are at someone's home, and their children are there. Should they send their children out because they are having co-workers over? Most older children can sit quietly and do homework, etc., and that is a good idea about hiring one sitter and splitting the cost between the consultants who bring their kids. I actually had a show where the host hired a sitter to look after all the kids downstairs while the moms shopped upstairs.

A few meetings have been at restaurants and in meeting rooms where kids couldn't be accommodated.There are, of course, exceptions and every parent knows how their children would behave in that situation.

I don't think that kids should be allowed at regional or national training meetings, and definately not at Leadership or Conference, as it is a more professional setting, and those consultants (with or without kids) are there to learn and not get distracted.

Families are part of the PC philosphy and my personal feeling is that they should be included in your own home-based business. The good thing about having your own business is doing your own way!

My 2 cents, Linda

I too agree with the "no Kids" rule...but if your 13 DD helps you out and she is part of "your" team, then yes I think she should be able to come.

cmdtrgd said:
I agree with the no kids allowed for most types of meetings. It is two hours out of your month, at least, it should be. It is a time for you to completely focus on PC without any possible interruptions - "she hit me.....", etc. Also, even if it is part time for you, it is full time for others. If you bring your kids, it shows them that you don't value their time. And, for those who did find someone to watch their kids, it makes them feel bad too - "why do I have to pay for a sitter..." type of thing. Just think, if you were in the corporate world, would you be allowed to bring your 13 year old to a company meeting?

I applaud you for getting your kid involved in the business. THAT is where it is a family company.

That being said, there are times when kids should be invited to come.

Very well said, Kate. Alot of team meetings that I know of are "no kids allowed" except for nursing babies. While many children might be able to sit quietly and do homework, there are MANY that cannot. If you open the door to allow one child you are opening the door for others. (I realize this thread was started regarding a 13 yr old and thus she is probably not as big of a distraction as younger children.)

As a director, I know that we spend alot of time and effort planning a training meeting. If a child disrupts a meeting, you are not being fair to your director.

I'm a bit bothered by the comments about how if the director can have her children at the meeting why can't others come. It's totally different if the child lives in the house. My children (and husband) stay in the tv room and do homework then get ready for bed. The consultants that attend my meeting have children that stay home and are able to get ready for bed and stay in their routine on a school night. Should my children be sent to McDonald's for two hours? There is a big difference between having consultant's children in my home and trying to keep them entertained and my own children being allow to stay in their own home on a school night.

adventurechef said:
I don't think the "No Kids" rule is a Pampered Chef company rule - I think it must be a "Team" rule. I believe it's up to the discretion of the Director holding the cluster meeting.

Most of the cluster meetings I've been to are at someone's home, and their children are there. Should they send their children out because they are having co-workers over? Most older children can sit quietly and do homework, etc., and that is a good idea about hiring one sitter and splitting the cost between the consultants who bring their kids. I actually had a show where the host hired a sitter to look after all the kids downstairs while the moms shopped upstairs.

A few meetings have been at restaurants and in meeting rooms where kids couldn't be accommodated.There are, of course, exceptions and every parent knows how their children would behave in that situation.

I don't think that kids should be allowed at regional or national training meetings, and definately not at Leadership or Conference, as it is a more professional setting, and those consultants (with or without kids) are there to learn and not get distracted.

Families are part of the PC philosphy and my personal feeling is that they should be included in your own home-based business. The good thing about having your own business is doing your own way!

My 2 cents, Linda
Thanks Linda- I AGREE!!!

We have children at most of our cluster meetings. Some are young, some are 10 or so and on occasion I have taken my own. Most of the time all of these children sit quietly reading or coloring, but if they are disruptive, the moms take them out of the meeting...sometimes they go home, sometimes they just take them out until they calm down. However, if your daughter regulary helps out, she is part of your team and it wouldn't hurt for her to see how your meetings work. Our meetings are in a bank conference room. However, I think that should be up to each director on whether she wants children there or not...it is true that if she lets one bring a child she will have to let everyone else bring theirs too.

Thank you every one again for your opinions.

From everyone's posts some sound like kids are allowed and some are not. Guess it's up to the Director and how she or he runs their meetings.
I use to be a PC Cons several years ago and join again last year. The cluster I was on then allowed the kids to come. Many (if not all) brought something for there kids to do and we never had a problem. If the child was being a distraction, then the mother would politely remove herself and the child.

My daughter (and sometimes my DH) helps and often accompanies me to shows. Depends on the show, locations, large amt of invites coming etc.. And I just thought this would be a good learning experience for her.

I emailed my director my opinion in regards to the matter and I am waiting on a reply. Maybe she will allow my daughter and maybe not. If not, I just know I will not be attending to many meetings and will have to depend on my fellow Cheffers for training:D

Thanks again to everyone! I will keep you posted on the outcome.
Kelly

Last edited:
We have kids occasionally at our cluster meetings. I think if it's a matter of the consultant being able to come with the kids, or stay home, then come and bring the kids, by all means.

The kids have been well behaved and not a distraction. Now if they were a distraction, it would be a different story.

PamperChefCarol said:
The kids have been well behaved and not a distraction. Now if they were a distraction, it would be a different story.

Not to pick on you, Carol, but I think you hit the nail on the head. You can't just say no disruptive kids or ban some kids from the meeting. No kids or any kids allowed. How would you feel if someone pulled you aside and said that your kid with the runny nose was a distraction and couldn't come any more while another kid kept whining and the mother did nothing about it. That is a severe circumstance, but it could happen. Different people have different ideas on how to raise and discipline kids.

Now, I do like the idea of having a group baby sitter. However, that wouldn't work for my meetings because I don't have them in my home.

adventurechef said:

I think this is where the "company rule" thought might have come in.

adventurechef said:

My 2 cents, Linda

I respectfully disagree that PC includes family. It encourages families to come together. If we were a family business, we could sign togther as couples. PC allows for us to be there for our families while still bringing in the income we need/want.

I feel bad for Kelly that she won't be able to attend many meetings. I don't have kids, do I don't have that situation. However, I do have single parents in my downline who get together and share a babysitter for cost reasons and also carpool to the meetings. Maybe you can do that, too. Don't get me wrong, I want a family and love kids - heck, I run the city Youth Drama program here! I just don't think that 2 hours a month is too much to ask of someone who wants to grow their business. Now, if it was once a week, I would have a problem with that.

Also, I do think that husbands should be allowed to come. Sometimes it is a great way to get them to finally support their spouse. They get to see the big picture!

Our team allows children. It's never been a distraction. If no children allowed was the rule in our cluster there would probably only be 3 people there LOL. I know it seems like only 2 hours a month but remember that we also do shows, or at least supposed to. So, to our director and Advanced Director they would rather we bring our kids then not be there at all. But I guess most of the consultants in our cluster have children so nobody seems to mind. Spouses are allowed too. So I guess we are very informal about this aspect but we do get things done and everyone has a great time.

Well I had to bring my 9month old at the time in Dec to a meeting.. I am a single mother-dad not in picture & its a drive for me anyway to tampa & I don't have the funds nor trust a sitter-I watch her fulltime. There is nothing wrong with sitters but unless i know them i don't want them watching an infant.Too much can happen-i don't care.. but yea i asked my director & she said yea since its a holiday party its ok, but if it were a problem I just wouldnt go.

Respectfully Kate, you do not have children so your free to have your opinion but you need to also understand alot of single moms have to have regular jobs to support them & kids,also to fit in PC, and raise children with school,activites & such...is alot! yea one meeting a month but think about a single mom doing at least 1 show a week to have extra money for the kids-having to pay a sitter once a week then well twice a week once for meetings... As a single mom I think if they arent a distraction its FINE! This is supposed to be about(many peoples reasoning for starting pc) have more time with family- i dont bring my baby to the meeting but if i had to go to a meeting & bring her-i will or won't go.

I have to add my commentAt my cluster meetings we are encouraged to bring our kids to the meetings. I have four, and one on the way. My director has four kids who occasionally pop in for a good night kiss, or to sample some of the food we are testing out.
The other director who tag teams with my director (they take turns opening up their homes each month) has six kids! The youngest is two and occasionally pops in with dad for a good night kiss also.
They begged me to bring my newborn to a meeting and I did when my son was born. I was nursing at the time but he just slept through most of the meeting.
I enjoy getting away from all MY distractions to come to a meeting to get encouraged, recongnized and informed!
I also believe that every director is different and the kids are all different too. We moms know if our kids are too rowdy to sit through a meeting and should know better than to bring our child who may distract the meeting. Espcially if they missed their nap, have had no dinner or are acting fussy.

I agree that it is a meeting where other moms also leave kids behind to spend some time among other women and relax so we should respect that and ask their opinons as well, not just our directors. I did ask everyone about my baby and they all said YES. Of course they are all moms or kids friendly. Everyone is different.
Sometimes I know it's inevitable, no babysitter, strapped for time, etc...
Fortunately for me I have a husband who understands and is always available to watch the kids so I can go to my meeting. Not everyone has that option, and a babysitter sometimes is expensive. A 13 year old should be more than capable of handling a meeting. I homeschool in order to show my kids Christ, family situations dealt with in maturity, and hands on situations so they know how to conduct themselves in the real world. I would have no problem with my nine, ten year old at the meeting. My two year old or 16 month old is another story! :eek:

Debbie

Ok...I can't keep my mouth shut on this one....As I read some of your posts I was a little disturbed by the way the thread was turning. :eek:

I am directly affected by both sides of this thread...as I have a 1 1/2 year old son and a 4 year old daughter...and I am a Director.

First, let me address the "no children" being a company policy. Here is the policy guidelines for Conference and Leadership and as you read through them you will see that children of any age are not allowed at any official Pampered Chef meeting.

"Meetings Policies

Rules Pertaining to Children and Guests

While The Pampered Chef has a philosophy and a business opportunity based on blending family and career, it is not appropriate to bring your family with you to all business events. Official Pampered Chef meetings are not an appropriate environment for children. Even quiet infants and well-behaved children can be a distraction from the business purpose.

You may not bring infants or children to official Pampered Chef meetings.

If you are a nursing mother and find that you need to feed your baby during a meeting, schedule your time to meet with your childcare provider between General Sessions and Workshops, so that you can be with your baby at critical times. You can also arrange for another Consultant to take notes if you need to be away from the meeting.

If your family has been helping you with your business, and you would like to share some of the excitement with them, guests age 18 years and older may be registered (and must be paid for when applicable) to attend National Conference and other meetings open to guests. You may be required to show proof of age.

As there is a minimum management level required to attend Leadership Conference or certain meetings, no guests (unless otherwise indicated in the registration information) may attend those meetings. "

So, now that we have discussed actual company policy, I do believe that it is of course up to the Director to decide if they will abide by these company policies or not. At my meetings, nursing children are allowed NO OTHERS, NO MATTER THE AGE OR THE BEHAVIOR. It is not fair to tell Sally consultant that she can't bring her 8 year old, but tell Julie consultant that she can bring her 10 year old. I am sure that you can all see the possible problems with bending the rules.

Is it also fair to Nancy consultant who found a babysitter for her children to take time out of her busy schedule to come to a meeting only to be distracted by Patty consultant's children? I would have to say no. We are all at the meetings to learn and one needs to be fair to everyone.

I work very hard on my meetings and I do not even allow my children at the meeting. Now, of course my children are in my house while the meeting is taking place on a different floor, but they are not at the meeting.

To be fair to all you have to agree that the policy is clear with children and meetings. I know that it is hard to get a sitter or afford a sitter for some and I know it is important to make it to meetings, but in reality if you can't afford a sitter or find a sitter you just might have to miss that meeting. What about setting up a babysitting trade with one of your friends, co workers, neighbors, consultants in different clusters...WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY.

Ok, now that that is said....remember ladies that we are here to support eachother and this thread seems to have a nasty vibe to it.:( :eek:

One more comment...then I'll shut my mouth, I promise! ;)

As I read back through this thread I found one more thing that was like a flashing red light to me and I have to address it. Please do not take this personal as I am only addressing the issue, not the person who posted the thread!

adventurechef said:

those consultants (with or without kids) are there to learn and not get distracted.

Why is National or Leadership any different than a monthly meeting? I know monthly meetings are more relaxed and a more personal meeting; however, I would hope that all consultants come to meeting to learn and not get distracted. It is just as much of a sacrifice for some consultants to make it to monthly meetings as it is for others of us to travel across the country to attend conference. I have consultants on my team that travel 2 hours to get to my monthly meetings, I believe they are there to learn and not get distracted!

Ok....zzzziiiiiiipppppppp!:)

Nasty vibe?I am not getting a nasty vibe. We are all adults and can talk about our opinions and about our meetings without being overly aggressive or rude.

At least I think most of us can right???

You are right though it is up to the director to decide what she wants for the meetings. I know it may be distracting to have a child at a meeting but if it's an emergency or if it's just a one time thing, it shouldn't be a problem. If I were a director I would want my recruits to be there no matter what. Sometimes that encouragement and information is very valuable and can sometimes make or break your sales for the month ahead.

I personally like leaving my kids at home and my kids never expressed a desire to go to a meeting. They like to stay home with dad, eat pizza, watch movies, and play games!!

But not everyone has that option. To say to someone if you can't get a babysitter, then you shouldn't come is really rude and cold. I agree that one shouldn't bring a child to EVERY meeting if the other moms don't bring theirs, but I only think emergencies are ok! Everyone is different.

Debbie :D

Marlene, I agree completely! I am a director also and have a strick no kids (except nursing) policy. I do send my husband and son out for the evening. They usually are around for the last part of the meeting, but not until the business is complete. If a consultant can't come to a meeting I am happy to set one on one time with them... and if they need to bring a kid then that's fine.

Wow
ShanaSmith said:
Marlene, I agree completely! I am a director also and have a strick no kids (except nursing) policy. I do send my husband and son out for the evening. They usually are around for the last part of the meeting, but not until the business is complete. If a consultant can't come to a meeting I am happy to set one on one time with them... and if they need to bring a kid then that's fine.

You set up one to one time, that's great!!! I think you are doing a wonderful job. Not all directors can or will do that. That is going the extra mile for your recruits and that's wonderful! Keep up the good work.

DebbieSAChef said:
To say to someone if you can't get a babysitter, then you shouldn't come is really rude and cold.

I understand where you are coming from. I have real examples of why this won't work: A good friend of mine was registered for Leadership (paid) and had her plane ticket (non-refundable) bought. She had a last minute problem with a babysitter and was not able to go to Leadership. Was it rude and cold for Pampered Chef to tell her that no she couldn't come to Leadership? I think not.

When you have a 9-5 job, is it rude and cold for them to tell you that you can't bring your children to work because your babysitter is sick? I think not.

Just let me make one thing clear, I started this business 4 years ago so I could stay at home with my daughter, so my children have been raised in the business and they are the reason why I am where I am today in the company.

But, this is my business and I treat it like a business. If you choose not to treat it like any other business...then of course that is fine because it is your business.

Yep
fruit76loop said:
I understand where you are coming from. I have real examples of why this won't work: A good friend of mine was registered for Leadership (paid) and had her plane ticket (non-refundable) bought. She had a last minute problem with a babysitter and was not able to go to Leadership. Was it rude and cold for Pampered Chef to tell her that no she couldn't come to Leadership? I think not.

When you have a 9-5 job, is it rude and cold for them to tell you that you can't bring your children to work because your babysitter is sick? I think not.

Just let me make one thing clear, I started this business 4 years ago so I could stay at home with my daughter, so my children have been raised in the business and they are the reason why I am where I am today in the company.

But, this is my business and I treat it like a business. If you choose not to treat it like any other business...then of course that is fine because it is your business.

Yep that's what I said, everyone is different. And that is why many of us left the jobs of the world, the corporate world that was very strict and not very family friendly with their policies to have our own businesses.
I never had a problem with a babysitter, so I wouldn't know what that is like, but if I did I am sure there would be no other choice than to miss work. I think more better run businesses and corporations are starting to see that mothers need support and encouragement to stay in the work place and are offering daycares in the same office buildings. I think that's great. But I know not everyone can offer that.
To have a babysitter problem when on the way to Leadership is a totally different situation. An unfortunate one.
Planning for leadership months in advance and going to a meeting are two different things. I would not expect PC to refund anyone anything or to let her come to the Leadership. Having someone told they can't come to a Director's house with a child, in an emergency is a little thoughtless.
We never know when we might end up in the same situation. I would want people to be understanding.

If that policy works for you, that's great. I am just voicing my opinion and being a mother of four kids, I would never mind being around kids. Especially in an emergency.

I am almost a director and will have my own meetings soon. They will be small at first, so it won't be a huge deal to have kids here. I agree that I would rather have my downline here with kids than not at all.

I am also a single mom and it is frusterating to get a babysitter on yet another night. It's even more frusterating to be away from my children for yet another night.

However, rather than run my own meetings which I would encourage children to be able to attend, I'm still mooching off my director's meetings. I think the time involved to plan my own meeting for such a tiny (and often nobody from my group even shows up!) group is more effort than being away from them for 2 more hours. However, if I ever quit mooching off of my director's meetings, I will definately allow children!

PS I've always wanted to have a retail establishment just so I can have a sign that reads, "Nurslings are welcome here!" Just last week the lady at Copy Max asked my not to nurse there any longer (I guess they'd rather have the walls rattle while my youngest screams while waiting for my copies!). I think if she asks again I'll ask if she requests that pacifier sucking and bottle sucking babies not be in the store either.

This does seem to be a hot topic.

Children, spouses, etc are not allowed at official PC meetings, that is a given, as Marlene posted from company guidelines. The guidelines also suggested alternatives including "If you are a nursing mother and find that you need to feed your baby during a meeting, schedule your time to meet with your childcare provider between General Sessions and Workshops, so that you can be with your baby at critical times. You can also arrange for another Consultant to take notes if you need to be away from the meeting."

As a consultant, director, etc. this is your business to run how you see fit. If you do not want children at your meeting that is your perogative. I don't think you should hide behind "company policy", just say "this is how I run my business - no offense". Any reasonable person should understand.

I think suggesting alternatives might be a softer way than to just saying no.

Now, I was not suggesting to send the host's children to McDonald's for 2 hours - the children do not have to be in the same room as the meeting. Marlene had a great suggestion - her "children are in my house while the meeting is taking place on a different floor, but they are not at the meeting."

If it is a meeting where children are allowed (due to no sitter, what-ever) they should not be active participants in the meeting but either in another room or quietly doing homework in the back, not running around like it's a day-care. Again, every parent knows their child and how they would be in certain situations. That consultant should also be respectful of other consultants at the meeting, and, if the child is being disruptive remove them from the situation.

I think it is great that there are so many different ways to run cluster meetings - with kids, without kids, in people's homes, in restaurants, in offices, etc.

As I mentioned earlier it is your business to run as you see fit. If you want the casual-style meeting go for it. You want the more business-like meeting go for it. There is no wrong or right. Only you will know what feels right for you. Just realize that other people have different styles and there may have to be compromises or adjustments somewhere along the line. Also, we are here to help each other by suggesting alternatives and different points of view. Not to say this is my way or the highway.

Another 2 cents, Linda

I have to agree with Linda. This is our business and we can run it the way we want. If this is the way my Director wants to run her meetings, then I guess I have to except that and move on (not that I am happy about it) I will probably be missing meetings I would like to attend and awards (they are only given out at meetings, only if you attend). This will be my choice to miss the meetings I would love to attend. My intend to have my daughter attend last nights meeting, was so I wouldn't be driving 45 mins by myself in so, so weather (not a big fan of driving at night) and to see what I do (or could be doing) with my business, because I do this for us to have better things in our lives.

I was in no way informed that kids were not allowed at meetings. We had a new consultant breakfast and someone brought their son, so I thought it was fine?!

I have a husband at home, but works for the highway dept and with the snow we have received lately in New York has been working his tail off, so he wasn't home to watch both kids, so my Mom usually will take them both or one depending how she is feeling (she is in her mid 70's).

I appreciate everyones opinions and I know when I reach Director status and have my own meeting, I will allow children. I would rather have my team there then have to stay home. I think it will depend on how you run your meetings and having your consultants understand that if your child is distracting they will see about getting their child to settle down.

With all that said, my intent was never to have any of my fellow cheffers getting upset with one another. We are all adults here and lean on each other for support and training.

When I asked for opinions, I said it was fine if you agreed with my director, I just want your opinion and I was willing to accept that was your thoughts.
So please, remember everyone doesn't things different and that is just the way things are.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Kelly :)

My Director has a 'no children' policy except for nursing Moms. I am starting my own meetings and will have the same rule.

I have a husband who can watch my three children most of the time, but he does travel sometimes. When that happens, I have a friend who watches them. I really want to get the most out of the short time I meet with my team on a monthly basis.

I understand that some 13 year olds are mature enough to sit still during a meeting. I also know of quite a few who are not mature enough. The problem comes when some parents think their child can handle the time, but they cannot. The rules Directors set for this are to ensure each Consultant is treated equally.

Think back to a show you did where a host or customer had children there and they did not sit still. Did you loose your concentration? I know that has happened to me several times. How did that make you feel?

When I begin my meetings at my home, my goal is to have my husband take them out for a while because, while the family can go upstairs, noise travels too well in my home. I do not want the distraction for my team or myself. I know there will be times when I have no choice but to keep them there and we will work it out. If noise did not travel in my home, I would have no problem keeping the family there.

Lisa

Being a director I have seen both sides of this issue. My general rule is no children and not because I don't have children or I dislike children. One meeting a Mom brought her 2 children. One an infant and the other watched videos and was a perfect angel. The next meeting the older child wanted Mom's attention and the baby was fussy. Not only was Mom distracted, but everyone else was too.
Another meeting a Mom brought her son who was 1 year old and he was the perfect angel.
Last year to introduce the fall/winter line it was a disaster...too long of a post...let's just say that out of 9 consultants only about 3 of them got any thing out of the meeting!! To introduce the spring/summer line, we again had children. Mainly the children were very good. Almost all of these Mom's were the only parent because their fathers are deployed in the Middle East. I understand the dilema completely...however...

Please hear me from a Director's prospective! I have 2 hours a month to pack in all the training I can. Phone time and e-mails are good, but they do not replace face to face meetings. They do not replace idea sharing. This is the only time I have to get everyone pumped up to help keep them motivated through the next month. That is the purpose of the monthly gathering. I love children! I work in a school district!! But the purpose of the monthly meeting is to help consultants and to help them achieve more for their families also. I find that unfortunately, most times, even when the child is good, someone is distracted or has to leave the room to tend to a child's needs. Those that don't bring their children start resenting the children and/or the consultant that is the child's mother's.

At our meeting place we do have a play room but it is right next to where we hold our meeting. I know that there would still be distractions even if we had child care.

It does vary from meeting to meeting. As our team has been growing I have had to nip the no children at our trainings/meetings. It is MY job to help YOU grow and I can't do that when there are distractions. I wish there was a way we could accomodate all situations, but each Director has to work out things their way. I am so glad that some of you are able to bring your children and it is working for your cluster!
Ann

While your 13 yo is well behaved, others may not be. When we had our monthly meeting one person brought her boys (guessing age 8-13) they went into one of the bedrooms to play video games. They interrupted the meeting at least 3 times for questions. Now keep in mind I don't have kids, but I was starting to get annoyed by this.

Your director is just running the meetings like a business, how can you say ok to one parent but not another?

For those of you who feel it is o.k. to bring children to meetings, how would you handle colleagues who have children there that are a constant interruption? It seems many/most of you have well behaved children who sit in another room quietly, but what would you say to a fellow consultant who brought children that were a distraction to all?

My director allows children at meetings. Last Monday we had three boys (4-8yrs.) who were good boys, however they were a distraction due to questions, wanting to see Mommy, etc. I have a son and was a teacher for many years so I LOVE children. Most times, I do not like having children at our meetings because it is distracting. I leave my son with my husband or parents and if I can't find a sitter, do not go. I don't bring him because I do not want others, or myself, to be distracted and I want to get the most I can out of my training.

I think allowing exceptions could cause an unfair climate. This goes back to my first question in my post. How do you handle parents/kids who ARE distracting. Since my director allows children, it has opened the door to having kids there all the time. One meeting we had 7 children there running in and out of the room. Should she have to tell them to keep their kids quiet? I think it would be extremely awkward to have to tell someone that their kids are a disruption.

When I become a director, I will have a no children policy; NOT because I do not love kids, or because I am cruel or cold as someone stated previously. I want to be fair to ALL consultants and to provide a training that will be beneficial to all. I think it would be great to meet one-on-one with those consultants who were unable to come to a meeting a time or two due to sitter issues.

I think it is just a matter of being respectful to all colleagues. The purpose of a training meeting is to get training. Directors work hard to plan the meetings and make it the best they can.

We never had a problem.I don't think it's appropriate for every meeting to have a child, just in emergencies.
For example one of our team members had a babysitter get really sick that same week with the flu and so she brought her son. He was good.
I think the director's kids interupt more than anyone and after they apologize I tell them they don't have to. They are mom first and even for two hours once a month, when your kids are in the house, it's hard to ignore them when they are used to a routine. I thought dad was being a little to lenient in letting the two year old keep coming downstairs but that's just my personal opinion. My husband would have put up the baby gate and bribed my two year old with popcorn and a movie, or a spanking...LOL
Anyway...
In emergency situations we have never had a problem. There have only been about 2 emergencies in the two years 3 months I have been doing this. I don't agree they should be there all the time, although I wouldn't mind personally. But it has never happened at our meetings. Our meetings are usually small with only about 6-10 people per meeting.
The moms enjoy getting away from their kids for a while to focus on PC and we have all expressed our feelings on that, but our director still ok with us bringing them if we want.

So does your director say "no kids unless there is an emergency"?

rebeccastt said:
I think allowing exceptions could cause an unfair climate. This goes back to my first question in my post. How do you handle parents/kids who ARE distracting. Since my director allows children, it has opened the door to having kids there all the time. One meeting we had 7 children there running in and out of the room. Should she have to tell them to keep their kids quiet? I think it would be extremely awkward to have to tell someone that their kids are a disruption.

When I become a director, I will have a no children policy; NOT because I do not love kids, or because I am cruel or cold as someone stated previously. I want to be fair to ALL consultants and to provide a training that will be beneficial to all. I think it would be great to meet one-on-one with those consultants who were unable to come to a meeting a time or two due to sitter issues.

I think it is just a matter of being respectful to all colleagues. The purpose of a training meeting is to get training. Directors work hard to plan the meetings and make it the best they can.

Rebecca,

You put this SO well! When I'm a Director, I will also have a no childern policy. The problem with "emergency" exceptions is that these things tend to snowball and people think it's okay to continue with that behavior.

I believe that attending business meetings is essential for growth. For this reason I think the first thing that should go on your calendar each month is your Cluster or Team Meeting, then non-business (family/church) obligations and finally your shows. I know many (most?) of you will not agree with me on this point and that will have to be okay. Just understand that some of us take these meetings VERY seriously and feel they should be treated with as much respect as National Conference/Leadership.

As I stated in my previous post, it is not easy for a Director to have a "no children" policy. I think the tone of this thread shows why. But I think it's important because even a quiet child is a distraction.

I am unable to go to cluster meetings because my cluster is in Minnesota, I'm in Illinois, and for some unknown reason HO and my director can't seem to find hospitality for me. I am quite frustrated by this as it has been since November trying to find one----and I'm not allowed to do this on my own....(any one out there (sw suburbs chicago who will take me in?)
There have been comments about no children being allowed at any official PC meeting....since when are cluster meeting official PC meetings? This frustrates me as we emphasize to our recruits that this is their own business and they can run it however they want. That means that if they are a director and want to allow children then so be it...it's their choice. If PC considered cluster meetings official meetings than every director would be required to hold monthly meetings and ensure that their cluster was receiving training (really, if this is the case, please let me know because someone should be fired ....I rarely hear from my recruiter who only became director when I qualified...and quite honestly I keep her hitting her $4000 sales or whatever she needs....the only time I hear from her really is when she needs extra to hit that amount!) But my official opinion on this is to each their own. Unfortunately we can not change who our director is after we sign...and that really stinks for us that have crappy directors...for those of you missing meetings because it is hard to find sitters, don't want to be away from children another night, what ever your reason, just shoot for the moon and become directors and run your meetings how you want to run them! I think this could be debated forever and nothing would come of it...so let's change this thread to how can we find Dusty a hospitality director......hehehheheee just kidding(although any advice is welcome)

Nope
rebeccastt said:
So does your director say "no kids unless there is an emergency"?

No she says we can bring as many kids as we want, but we don't. I have never had the need come up. My husband is always available but as I stated it has happened maybe twice with other consultants that have brought their children. It has never snowballed but then again my director wouldn't care. These are family businesses she says. And she is right, my family is the reason why I am doing this. To help make extra money for them to take them out, on field trips or to buy extra gifts on holidays. The children that have come have played with the director's kids upstairs or have sat quietly because they were shy.

We like our time away from home and kids to concentrate on our business but we like to know if we had to we could.

Last edited:
I have been reading this thread off and on all day now and there is this common thread weaved through everyone's posts.. both for and against the "no children in attendance" policy ... do you hear it... "It's my business so I need to run it best for me" HOWEVER ... at a cluster meeting you are meshing together many, many "my businesses" so each director has to make the very difficult decision of what is best for her group and each of us has to be understanding of one another and other consultants needs. I'm not going to state my opinion here... it doesn't matter.. but I just feel led to post that part of supporting one another both here and in our clusters, is to recognize that everyone has the right to do their business their own way.. but when we are together... we must look out for the greater good of one another's businesses as well and not just our own needs or desires. I hope this makes sense. I cannot put into words what my heart is feeling.

You are so right quiverfull7 and I think you really said it perfectly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
StacieB
  • Malinda Klein
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
keril
  • dannyzmom