• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Severing the Ties With a Host-To-Be

In summary, the consultant has been trying to contact the host for four weeks with minimal response. The host finally responds the night before the show, claiming to have left messages but the consultant never received them. The consultant expresses disappointment and frustration with the lack of communication and professionalism from the host, and ultimately decides to end their partnership. Other consultants provide advice and support for handling similar situations.
lockhartkitchen
After 4 weeks with only one return call from a host (left her address), no more responses as of Thursday. (show saturday) I left a message saying I would be there Saturday, and since she hadn't called for ingredients she must have got them from my website. No response. Friday AM I left a call saying since I hadn't heard from her, I assumed she had cancelled her show, and she could do it as a catalog show. She left a message Fri. night, saying she had left me messages, but I must have not got them (mind you- I have an answering service for my personal business phone- sorry no messages). She also emailed me Fri. night, saying she had sent out invitations, bought the ingredients, and if she didn't hear from me by 8:30 PM she was calling guests to say I cancelled. She is a minister, so I know she checks her phone. Here is the response I emailed her.

I got your message you left on my business phone last night. After 4 weeks of phone calls to you, I only received one call from you on my business phone , leaving your address for me to send out your host packet. I had requested your email address, so I had another way of contacting you. The only number you gave me for communicating with you was xxx-xxxx. Since you have a message about a house for sale on your phone and you are a minister, I would assume you would check this frequently.

After weeks of leaving messages for you, you phone and email me the night before your show, after I say I will not come if I have not heard from you. So, I know you had several options for contacting me. If you had invited people, it would have been courteous for you to return my call, knowing that I would be driving 40 miles to come to your show.

You've had the opportunity to let me know you didn't want to have a cooking show. I would be fine with that kind of honesty. Saturdays are my most wanted show dates. By continuing to hold that date for you, I missed a business opportunity.

Pampered Chef is a business for me. I take it seriously. It is the partnership with my hosts that I value most. I am sad to say that you are the only one that has not taken this partnership seriously. Because I am in business for myself, I can choose who I partnership with. I need to know that I am working with honest people. Unfortunately, I don't feel we have the partnership I need. If you want to purchase Pampered Chef products in the future, you can call 1-888-OUR-CHEF and they can find you a consultant that can best meet your needs.

Julie

Julie,I think you got your point across, but I do think you were over harsh. In the future, let the host know what you did, not what she didn't do.

Kate,I can see your point. I was trying to state the facts, so I didn't have opinions in it. I could change you to I in my statements. Good advice. But as for harsh, sometimes the truth is.

I understand what you were trying to get across and giving her the number to HO was good. However, after doing this for a couple of years I have heard some horror stories of slighted hosts calling HO and complaining. You might want to write an email to HO stating what you did, what she did (or didn't do) and copy in your last email. That way they have it in case she does try to call and make you look bad.

Girl you have guts and as i read it i thought, man i could so see me doing that. i just hope it never does come to that. i'm anxious to hear her response.

I think I should have done something like this with a host that I have been having trouble with. I don't have the guts to be so straight-forward like that though. What was her response?

Kate,Good advice. I will contact HO, but I don't think she will pursue anything. I will let people know if I hear a response. I did contact the host the show was booked from, left a message. I let her know that I had not cancelled the show, but had not heard from the host-to-be.

It sounds a little harsh to me. It is not a priority of the host to call you back. Nor should she. It is your business so it is up to you to stay in touch. She did let you know before the show that it was still on so she was getting your messages. Being a minister, she is probably swamped with calls (all of which hold higher importance than a PC show) so she didn't call you right away. Especially if she is also selling a house. And, just because you requested her email doesn't mean she has one. I have lots of hosts that don't. Don't book shows that far away if you are not willing to drive even for a few guests. You did a lot of finger pointing in your email as if you could read her mind. You should never assume. Maybe she was serious about having a show. I know that PC is a business for some & should be treated that way but loosen up a bit. Have some fun at it also.

I have to agree with this advice. You NEVER know what may be going on with someone else's life. About the phone calls - I once left numerous messages for someone, and never a call back until one time, I got someone on the phone, and discovered I had been leaving messages at the wrong #.! Now, the person I had been trying to reach could very well have not believed me when I said that I had been trying to call her for days....but I had been trying, but I had the last 2 #'s of her phone # transposed!:blushing:
Also - you seemed to call into question her honesty.....and I would be very careful about doing that with anyone.
She may very well be a person with a very wide and deep circle of influence (how did you meet her? at a show?) and if she should consider your words a personal insult to her character, it could have a long reaching affect on your business. You never know how many people she would tell about the PC woman who blasted her.

Stacy,No, the host did not let me know the show was still on. She only called and left a message 8:30 PM (night before show) after I had said, since she hadn't returned any calls, I was assumed she wasn't having her show. She didn't contact me for four weeks, way longer than if someone had been swamped. I am willing to drive for a show, but I'm not willing to drive not knowing if there is a show or not. I booked there, because I moved in March, to another city. My phone is connected to an answering service, which only I access with a code to retrieve messages. She never left any, but said she did. She is not being honest. She has the correct number because she called me night before, and she emailed me, and it is printed along with my email on the back of the catalogs. It is a responsibility of a host to return a call when they have requested a show. 8 calls, I would say I had done my part. I can only "stay in touch" when there is dialogue (someone talking with you).No worry about affect on my business. Booked from a show with only one client of mine. And, in 2 1/2 years I have only had ONE cancellation because of family circumstances, and she called me. I had 10 shows in sep. and I have 10 in October. I stand behind my email. There is nothing wrong with being honest with someone. I just stated the facts.

I am sorry you had to deal with this. Sometimes people just dont' see it the way we see it, I'm sure they all have their way of justifying things in their minds. The only advice I can give you (which I took myself after several similar situations) is get the guest list ahead of time from your host. Then you are only holding thier date for, say, one week. If they can't get the guest list to you let them know that once you get it you'd be happy to look at the calendar and pick a date that works for both of you. It will leave you with 3 or more weeks to rebook, and with the mental peace of mind that you are not wasting your time on someone who is not interested, or who lacks the ability to follow through at this particular time in their life. By not allowing things to get to the point where you are (understandably) angry, you won't have to become emotionally involved in these shows. I know I've gotten angry at a host for a cruddy show where I've had a long drive, but in retrospect, shame on me for not making sure that I did everything in my power to have my time used most efficiently.

Good for you
lockhartkitchen said:
Stacy,

No, the host did not let me know the show was still on. She only called and left a message 8:30 PM (night before show) after I had said, since she hadn't returned any calls, I was assumed she wasn't having her show. She didn't contact me for four weeks, way longer than if someone had been swamped. I am willing to drive for a show, but I'm not willing to drive not knowing if there is a show or not. I booked there, because I moved in March, to another city. My phone is connected to an answering service, which only I access with a code to retrieve messages. She never left any, but said she did. She is not being honest. She has the correct number because she called me night before, and she emailed me, and it is printed along with my email on the back of the catalogs. It is a responsibility of a host to return a call when they have requested a show. 8 calls, I would say I had done my part. I can only "stay in touch" when there is dialogue (someone talking with you).

No worry about affect on my business. Booked from a show with only one client of mine. And, in 2 1/2 years I have only had ONE cancellation because of family circumstances, and she called me. I had 10 shows in sep. and I have 10 in October. I stand behind my email. There is nothing wrong with being honest with someone. I just stated the facts.

I agree that we don't know what is going on in someone else's life and sometimes things do come up (illness, job loss, death, injury, accident, etc....) and we might not be a priority person to contact about it, right away! But after 4 weeks that ridiculous. And for her to say she did call and lie, that's even worst. If someone is too busy to have a show, they shouldn't. Does that sound like a bad thing to say being a PC consultant? I don't think so. I would much rather work with hosts who give me their time, energy and attention, than someone who is too busy and keeps me on edge wondering if there will ever be a show, if she did her part (inviting guests, ingredients, etc), and then cancelling on me. :eek:

I think the letter was a good way to let her know that PC is our business and we can't afford to have people waste our time doing these things. I have never had to send out a letter like this but if I had to I would without any hesitation because people need to be held accountable for their actions. I don't think it was harsh, it was truthful and got it's point across while hopefully getting this person to see that her actions hurt a person's business. Losing money for us is not fun and should not be tolerated. I'm sure a person who lies about making calls she didn't wouldn't hesitate to lie about the way a PC person treated her in order for her to save face. But I have learned through personal experience that working by business honestly and to glorify God will make all the difference in the world in the midst of lies and false accusations.
Debbie :D

You said in your e-mail probably what any of us would feel.
That said, it is your business and you can handle it in any way that you feel is appropriate.
In my business, I try not to need to call the host. When we set a date, I send the host packet, or, if I am mailing the invites I mail the host packet when I get the invites from the host. I also bring ingredients with me. I host coach via e-mail and phone. If I don't get them on the phone, I leave my message. Then, on show day, I go to their house at the time I told them I would be there. That upholds my end of the 'deal'. I, too, have had a full September, have a full October, and a full November. I have never had a cancellation. I want my hosts to have fun - not worry about me calling them all the time or them having to do something all the time.
Again, your business-your way! I am sure that, in the end, it will all work out fine.

DebbieSAChef said:
I agree that we don't know what is going on in someone else's life and sometimes things do come up (illness, job loss, death, injury, accident, etc....) and we might not be a priority person to contact about it, right away! But after 4 weeks that ridiculous. And for her to say she did call and lie, that's even worst. If someone is too busy to have a show, they shouldn't. Does that sound like a bad thing to say being a PC consultant? I don't think so. I would much rather work with hosts who give me their time, energy and attention, than someone who is too busy and keeps me on edge wondering if there will ever be a show, if she did her part (inviting guests, ingredients, etc), and then cancelling on me. :eek:

I think the letter was a good way to let her know that PC is our business and we can't afford to have people waste our time doing these things. I have never had to send out a letter like this but if I had to I would without any hesitation because people need to be held accountable for their actions. I don't think it was harsh, it was truthful and got it's point across while hopefully getting this person to see that her actions hurt a person's business. Losing money for us is not fun and should not be tolerated. I'm sure a person who lies about making calls she didn't wouldn't hesitate to lie about the way a PC person treated her in order for her to save face. But I have learned through personal experience that working by business honestly and to glorify God will make all the difference in the world in the midst of lies and false accusations.

This is a MINISTER!! that is being talked about here! I would be careful with the lying accusations. I am pretty sure that her boss trumps Doris!!:blushing: :eek:

No rsvp
ljeffries said:
You said in your e-mail probably what any of us would feel.
That said, it is your business and you can handle it in any way that you feel is appropriate.
In my business, I try not to need to call the host. When we set a date, I send the host packet, or, if I am mailing the invites I mail the host packet when I get the invites from the host. I also bring ingredients with me. I host coach via e-mail and phone. If I don't get them on the phone, I leave my message. Then, on show day, I go to their house at the time I told them I would be there. That upholds my end of the 'deal'. I, too, have had a full September, have a full October, and a full November. I have never had a cancellation. I want my hosts to have fun - not worry about me calling them all the time or them having to do something all the time.
Again, your business-your way! I am sure that, in the end, it will all work out fine.

I only call my hosts also once to host coach (if they can't meet in person) where we go over everything including recipe, directions, and brainstorm for guest list, another time to get the RSVP list, and the last call the day before the show to confirm directions and RSVP list again. I always tell them when I will be calling again and mark in my calendar (date-time) and have never had a cancellation or no response. Don't you call to get RSVP list? How many catalogs do you take for the show? Or food? I usually give a free dessert with 12 or more guests.

ljeffries said:
This is a MINISTER!! that is being talked about here! I would be careful with the lying accusations. I am pretty sure that her boss trumps Doris!!:blushing: :eek:
Ministers are still human. They aren't infallible.

Thank you Debbie. Your response is the last I am taking the time and effort to read. I'm glad for the support. I am a Christian and I stand behind my email. I stated the facts. I'm forgiving and forgetting. Not everyone is honest and that is the world. I have many other hosts that need my attention and want it. Fortunately PC is not my main source of income, teaching is, but I do believe in common courtesy from others: a return call in a timely manner.

Accusations?
ljeffries said:

I am going with the information I was given. There is nothing in stone that says ministers don't lie!! LOL
With that being said I don't know this person and her situation but from what I have read, it seems she didn't hold up her end of the bargain. And someone else on this thread mentioned that she might retaliate and call HO to complain. I am just saying if she does that, being a minister or not since I have dealt with some feisty ministers in my lifetime who did not show the love of Christ or his attributes in their lives, I would just want her to know not to worry about it. And to also call HO to tell about the situation.

I keep 25 catalogs in my business case at all times. When I come home from a show, I restock. This stays in my car at all times - catalogs, order forms, etc.
I make the garlic bites using 8 biscuits. I make the recipe that I am making for that month - right now the artichoke cups. There is always enough for everyone to taste.

Cool
ljeffries said:
I keep 25 catalogs in my business case at all times. When I come home from a show, I restock. This stays in my car at all times - catalogs, order forms, etc.
I make the garlic bites using 8 biscuits. I make the recipe that I am making for that month - right now the artichoke cups. There is always enough for everyone to taste.

Wow you got it done for your business, that's great. I always play a game so I make sure I have enough trivia sheets or whatever I may need for the show for a particular game. I also bring just enough lap boards for my shows. Extra people get loose catalogs. They are too heavy.

I don't think any of her e-mails were too harsh. We're all adults here and when trying to contact someone for 4 weeks with no response until the night before the show.......that's tacky. I get so frustrated with grown women who can't follow directions and do simple tasks and just let things slip by without thinking about others. I've had this happen to me, last weekend, so I know how she feels. With the host being a minister, I would have thought she would have been a kind enough person to return the calls to let her know what was going on. I've learned that people, no matter who they are, will come up with every excuse in the book not to return calls and cancel shows.
Personally, I don't think her e-mail was harsh at all. If she had been talking to a young child......maybe.........but it's a grown adult who is a minister and a little consideration for the consultant would have been nice. A phone call takes 5 minutes and EVERYBODY has 5 minutes in a 4 week period that they sit and do nothing. That's when she could have returned her call. Not the night before the show!!
I've bent over backwards for my hosts in the past but from here on out, one new policy I have is to close out the night of the show. When they say they have outside orders, they rarely do. I tell them to get ALL the outside orders before the show because I will be bringing my laptop and send the orders in that night. They need to realize that this is a business for us and we take it seriously. Some people may rely on PC as their only income and having hosts ignore us after booking a show and can't return a simple phone call...........it's VERY annoying. So I know where she's coming from.

I do think though that if the host called the night before, said she had invited people and bought the ingredients, it is VERY rude as a consultant to say "oh well, your loss, you never called"...geez...I would have kept the show and just went, considering it was a JOB (a booking) and probably (hopefully) would have made $100 or more.. I would have simply said "oh, sorry, we must have gotten our lines crossed or miscommunication or whatever, but I"m so glad we are still on for tomorrow! What a relief!"...I always assume a show is ON unless I hear otherwise. I just think that's good business. I think the "letter" in question is a matter of ethics and I don't know if I would have liked it if I would have gotten a letter like that from a DS consultant. THAT is what gives the COMPANY a bad name...and those people who have bad experiences w/ consultants will never order from the company again. I have had that said to me SEVERAL times by dissatisfied customers. In my opinion, the original letter that was sent by the consultant to the host was tacky, rude and uncalled for. Yes, hosts "lie" from time to time, but she could have just never contacted the consultant at all!

Sorry if this steps on anyones toes, but I am sick to death of "potential" customers telling me they won't order from PC due to a crappy consultant.

chefsteph07 said:
I do think though that if the host called the night before, said she had invited people and bought the ingredients, it is VERY rude as a consultant to say "oh well, your loss, you never called"...geez...I would have kept the show and just went, considering it was a JOB (a booking) and probably (hopefully) would have made $100 or more.. I would have simply said "oh, sorry, we must have gotten our lines crossed or miscommunication or whatever, but I"m so glad we are still on for tomorrow! What a relief!"...I always assume a show is ON unless I hear otherwise. I just think that's good business. I think the "letter" in question is a matter of ethics and I don't know if I would have liked it if I would have gotten a letter like that from a DS consultant. THAT is what gives the COMPANY a bad name...and those people who have bad experiences w/ consultants will never order from the company again. I have had that said to me SEVERAL times by dissatisfied customers. In my opinion, the original letter that was sent by the consultant to the host was tacky, rude and uncalled for. Yes, hosts "lie" from time to time, but she could have just never contacted the consultant at all!

Sorry if this steps on anyones toes, but I am sick to death of "potential" customers telling me they won't order from PC due to a crappy consultant.

I agree with you! When all is said and done, she did contact you & was planning on having the show! Can't help but wonder, what if...
What If...she or one of her guests were going to be the next Nancy Jo??
What If...her show would close at over $1,000??
What If...it was just a typical show, with you making $100 & getting a booking or 2?

Even if it was a crappy show, she would at least recommend you/PC to others by your customer service. Now, for sure, neither will happen! And I agree that whether or not she was a minister, doesn't excuse her behavior. BUT you don't know what was going on in her life. I'd be very careful of so rudely accusing ANYONE of the things you did!! Burnt bridges are no fun crossing later in life!:eek: Sometimes they come up when you LEAST expect it!!:cry:

pamperedcheermom said:
I don't think any of her e-mails were too harsh. We're all adults here and when trying to contact someone for 4 weeks with no response until the night before the show.......that's tacky. I get so frustrated with grown women who can't follow directions and do simple tasks and just let things slip by without thinking about others. I've had this happen to me, last weekend, so I know how she feels. With the host being a minister, I would have thought she would have been a kind enough person to return the calls to let her know what was going on. I've learned that people, no matter who they are, will come up with every excuse in the book not to return calls and cancel shows.
Personally, I don't think her e-mail was harsh at all. If she had been talking to a young child......maybe.........but it's a grown adult who is a minister and a little consideration for the consultant would have been nice. A phone call takes 5 minutes and EVERYBODY has 5 minutes in a 4 week period that they sit and do nothing. That's when she could have returned her call. Not the night before the show!!
I've bent over backwards for my hosts in the past but from here on out, one new policy I have is to close out the night of the show. When they say they have outside orders, they rarely do. I tell them to get ALL the outside orders before the show because I will be bringing my laptop and send the orders in that night. They need to realize that this is a business for us and we take it seriously. Some people may rely on PC as their only income and having hosts ignore us after booking a show and can't return a simple phone call...........it's VERY annoying. So I know where she's coming from.

I COMPLETELY agree!!!!

Maybe she will learn that her behavior was uncalled for, and RESPECT other peoples time.

I don't care how much money or the possible opportunities that may have come with this so called 'host'. I would never lower myself to her behavior and had gone through with hosting her show either. It will empower her to think that it is ok to treat people in this manner and they will still come through even though she isn't accountable for her actions.

I say........GOOD JOB !!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Smashie said:
I COMPLETELY agree!!!!

Maybe she will learn that her behavior was uncalled for, and RESPECT other peoples time.

I don't care how much money or the possible opportunities that may have come with this so called 'host'. I would never lower myself to her behavior and had gone through with hosting her show either. It will empower her to think that it is ok to treat people in this manner and they will still come through even though she isn't accountable for her actions.

I say........GOOD JOB !!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

How can you say "Good job"...for standing up a host who did, in the end, invite guests and buy the food? For not returning a couple calls? Come on! I don't consider it "lowering yourself" to go through w/ the show...couldn't there have been a more professional way to handle the situation, like saying "I'm disappointed I didn't hear from you in all this time and was wondering if were still going to go ahead w/ the party"? SHE CALLED THE NIGHT BEFORE..not an hr before...I just think the email was unprofessional and in the end gives the company, and other consultants, a bad name. She should have done the show, and then if she wasn't happy w/ the host, chose not to work w/ her again. But I think just writing the whole thing off and then sending that email was wrong. I'm curious to know if the host ever replied to the email or what has happened since.

chefsteph07 said:
How can you say "Good job"...for standing up a host who did, in the end, invite guests and buy the food? For not returning a couple calls? Come on! I don't consider it "lowering yourself" to go through w/ the show...couldn't there have been a more professional way to handle the situation, like saying "I'm disappointed I didn't hear from you in all this time and was wondering if were still going to go ahead w/ the party"? SHE CALLED THE NIGHT BEFORE..not an hr before...I just think the email was unprofessional and in the end gives the company, and other consultants, a bad name. She should have done the show, and then if she wasn't happy w/ the host, chose not to work w/ her again. But I think just writing the whole thing off and then sending that email was wrong. I'm curious to know if the host ever replied to the email or what has happened since.

Not returning "a couple of calls" ??? Hmm, I consider EIGHT calls A LOT more than a couple, and given a months time that this women didn't have the common courtesy to return ONE of them, it is obvious she only cared about her time and not anyone else.

I do not believe that she was unprofessional at all. I completely agree with what she did. I value my time and if I had to drive forty miles to this show, I would darn right make sure this person is on board ahead of time too.

Who knows for sure if she really did buy the food, and invite people. She was a proven liar. And how can you say that standing up for yourself and your business, and how you run them, is unprofessional??? I guess we have two totally different views on professionalism. I, for one, am sick of people treating consultants as if we are insignificant especially when some consultants take it very seriously. So when someone cannot treat us with respect by returning a simple 3 minute phone call, then it makes THEM look bad, not other consultants. I am sure if this was a phone call regarding the sale of her house, she would have had the time to return the call. Priorities. Lockhartkitchen was not one of them for her!

Lockhartkitchen........this is to you...... I do not consider your email to be unprofessional, and I do not believe in the end that it will give the rest of the consultants, and pc a bad name.

One last thing, I would NEVER post such a judgmental post regarding another consultant. If I did not believe in the way she was running her business, then I would tell them my opinion but I would never call them unprofessional, and make her feel that she was in turn possibly hurting MY business with the way she runs hers. I think that we try do our best as consultants, as human beings, and some have different thresholds than others, but I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

Proven liar? Where in that description of events was she proven to have lied about anything? Because she says she left messages and they weren't received? It's very possible she left messages with the wrong number. I think it would have been far more professional to do everything possible to make things right with the hostess in the name of customer service. I agree that this does not put a good face on the company or its consultants.As far as not being judgemental of other consultants: if she didn't want honest opinions why post it here? I assumed it was so we could all learn from her experience. If we just pat her on the back even though we disagree with her actions, other consultants might take her actions as a model for their own if they have a similar situation arise and end up harming their own business and ours as well. Bottom line: if you can't take criticism, don't ask for people's opinions on an open forum.

caynreth said:
Proven liar? Where in that description of events was she proven to have lied about anything? Because she says she left messages and they weren't received? It's very possible she left messages with the wrong number. I think it would have been far more professional to do everything possible to make things right with the hostess in the name of customer service. I agree that this does not put a good face on the company or its consultants.

As far as not being judgemental of other consultants: if she didn't want honest opinions why post it here? I assumed it was so we could all learn from her experience. If we just pat her on the back even though we disagree with her actions, other consultants might take her actions as a model for their own if they have a similar situation arise and end up harming their own business and ours as well. Bottom line: if you can't take criticism, don't ask for people's opinions on an open forum.

Listen, we have a difference of opinion, and we can keep going around in circles of who is right/wrong. WE will never agree. I have my beliefs as do you, and that is the great thing of having an open forum and posting those opinions.

But there is a huge difference posting ones opinions, and passing judgment. I think most people start thread to see these OPINIONS, and not have the feeling that people are telling her that what she did or didn't do was rude, tacky and uncalled for. I think that is going too far. I thought we are all adults and can agree or disagree with people without resorting to making statements like those. I certainly think most people can disagree with someone without patting them on the back.

I don't think I said SHE was unprofessional, I think I said that the EMAIL in question was unprofessional, and I agree that she started the thread for OPINIONS based on the situation as she saw it and she INCLUDED the email that she sent, so I gave my opinion based on if I had gone through the same situation (aren't opinions really based on our own judgement anyway???). I am not judging HER as a consultant, I'm sure she is a very wonderful person, however, I think the way she handled this particular situation could have been dealt with a little better. That's all. Sorry if anyone thought I was passing judgement on HER as a person. I was not.

I think she should still have done the party. I have had numerous hosts thank me on the days of their show for continuing to call and not give up on them! Especially when they admit they aren't the best at returning phone calls but do receive the email and phone messages that I leave for them.It is our job to keep in touch with our customers and not assume anything. Especially when we take bookings so far in advance, we need to keep them in the loop as much as possible.As for that email ... I wouldn't have sent it. What if the host was out of town for a considerable amount of time? Had an illness in the family? Or was getting home too late in the evening to return phone calls? (I had one host who this happened to, and I finally got a hold of her and she had to cancel.)If I had received an email like that from a consultant or a representative from any business, I would have passed it around to all of my friends and told them never to do business with that person/company again.Just saying, you may experience some backlash from that from the host.

Last edited:
sailortena said:
I think she should still have done the party. I have had numerous hosts thank me on the days of their show for continuing to call and not give up on them! Especially when they admit they aren't the best at returning phone calls but do receive the email and phone messages that I leave for them.

It is our job to keep in touch with our customers and not assume anything. Especially when we take bookings so far in advance, we need to keep them in the loop as much as possible.

As for that email ... I wouldn't have sent it. What if the host was out of town for a considerable amount of time? Had an illness in the family? Or was getting home too late in the evening to return phone calls? (I had one host who this happened to, and I finally got a hold of her and she had to cancel.)

If I had received an email like that from a consultant or a representative from any business, I would have passed it around to all of my friends and told them never to do business with that person/company again.

Just saying, you may experience some backlash from that from the host.

Have to say - I agree!:)

sailortena said:
I think she should still have done the party. I have had numerous hosts thank me on the days of their show for continuing to call and not give up on them! Especially when they admit they aren't the best at returning phone calls but do receive the email and phone messages that I leave for them.

It is our job to keep in touch with our customers and not assume anything. Especially when we take bookings so far in advance, we need to keep them in the loop as much as possible.

As for that email ... I wouldn't have sent it. What if the host was out of town for a considerable amount of time? Had an illness in the family? Or was getting home too late in the evening to return phone calls? (I had one host who this happened to, and I finally got a hold of her and she had to cancel.)

If I had received an email like that from a consultant or a representative from any business, I would have passed it around to all of my friends and told them never to do business with that person/company again.

Just saying, you may experience some backlash from that from the host.

Exactly the point I was trying to make, and in an earlier post someone had mentioned that she had called the host EIGHT TIMES, but I have been going through the posts and I had not seen where the original poster said she called that many times..so if you happen to find that one, please quote it for me in response. Not that it matters if it was one call or 20! I would have kept calling every day until I reached her, and then had a back up show at an earlier or later time in case this one didn't pan out! But, as I mentioned earlier, I agree that I would have worried that email would be passed around and PC will suffer for it!!! AND the consultants who would have actually done that show! I just think the entire situation is unfortunate...and another solution would be to have called someone else from her cluster who would have actually appreciated the extra show and offered it to her instead of blowing the whole thing off and entirely blaming the HOST. Obviously there was no host coaching. If I am unable to get in touch w/ a host via phone or email I usually send a letter as well. It is our job to do everything possible to make the host comfortable and enjoy the experience of hosting a PC show.

I would have had the show as well as some others say. Was the host in the wrong, absolutely, but she is a customer. I just wouldn't try to have a show w/her again.

I had a host who booked a show and I never heard from her after mailing out her packet. Her number was disconnected! I mailed a letter to her stating I tried to call her but could not reach her. I said if I didn't hear from her by "set date" I would assume her show is not going to be held. I never heard from her again. She was a lead from a fair I did and she didn't live in the best part of town so I wasn't too disapointed. I wonder if she saw the product prices and thought they were too much for her and her friends. I'll never really know.

We all have our own choices in this business though.

I agree with the others that the e-mail might have been a little to harsh, although, so are some of the posts in this thread. I think as a consultant, you have every right to let people know that you take your business seriously. However, people don't like being accused and feeling like their being attacked, even if its true. I probably would have let her know that I tried to contact her that many times, but at the same time giving the host the benefit of the doubt and not placing blame for it. Like others said, you never know what's happening in their lives. Also, I too have had a situation where I left messages at the wrong house. It's quite possible that happened to this host. One other thing... I've heard others on here say that when they haven't heard from the host, rather than leaving a message canceling, they leave a message saying unless they hear otherwise that they'll see them at their house at 7pm, and the host usually will call back right away canceling if that was their intention, because they don't want you showing up at their house. That's another idea you might want to try next time you run into something like this. Just a suggestion.

It's easy to come up with solutions and judgments when you don't have all the information. I'm giving it to you straight from the "horse's mouth", the one who initiated this thread: me. First, I wouldn't have posted if I didn't expect comments. There are several comments that I need to correct.

1. I did leave a very positive message 3 days before the show. "Since I haven't heard from you after my phone calls, I'm assuming your show is still on for.... I'm also assuming you must have the ingredients from my website since you didn't call me. I'm looking forward to our show on Saturday." Since I had no response from that, I left the message Friday morning saying I was assuming her show was cancelled since I hadn't heard from her.

2. The host DID NOT contact ME about the show the night before. There was a message left on my answering machine and via email that was left at 8 PM, saying "Yes I'm having the show. If I don't hear from you by 8:30, I will call my guests and tell them you cancelled". 1/2 hour time to return a call was what I was given. I got home too late to respond by phone. I believe I was given the short time span, so there could be an easy way out.

3. A job, like anything else, is confirmed. When there is no confirmation, is the cable going to come to your home? Is the painter going to come? No.

I did NOT say to myself as one stated, "Oh well, your loss, you never called."
I respect myself and time as well. I did say to myself, "I haven't heard one response from this host for a month when I've been calling at least 3x a week for the past 4 weeks. When someone never returns my call, they don't want to. I would be driving 80 minutes in a car just to return home. My time is worth something."

4. There was no wrong number. It was the number the host gave me. It is her voice with a message saying she will call you right back.

5. One consultant said "No host coaching must have happened". The last time I checked, coaching is a partnership. One cannot coach an absent team member. You can leave them the tools they need, but truly be successful, your host needs to be present to coach.

6. One consultant would call every day until the host returned her call. 7x4=28 phone calls. Huh? That better be one hell of show to have invested that much time for one person.

7. This host may or may not have been a liar, but is definitely RUDE!! Unreturned calls in our society, whether it be a doctor's office, scheduling an appointment, etc. if not returned in a timely manner is rude and unacceptable.

8. What show was I going to? The phone message from the host clearly stated, if she didn't hear back from me by 8:30 PM she was calling and telling her friends it was cancelled.

Here's how it ended. Saturday 9 AM, I got an email from the host, (The show was going to be at 11 AM) saying she was sorry if there was any miscommunication. She thought I must be used to having to stay in close contact with my hosts, but she was one that didn't need reminders. She wanted me to know that she was an honest person. She said she was going to call and let her guests know the party was cancelled. (Wasn't this what she said she did last night? Also, this was a sleepover party. Aren't they already there?" Hmmm.... She wanted to know if she needed to mail me back the catalogs.

I emailed her. I let her know she could keep the catalogs and make it into a catalog show so she could still get her host benefits. I told her if she wanted to work with another host that was closer to her home that would be fine. I referred her to a consultant in my cluster.

I got the catalogs and forms back in the mail.

My business? I was number 2 in my cluster in Sep, and number 1 in October.
I'm booked solid in November. I am a friendly person. This is my only client who has ever done this. My first email letter to her was not harsh, but honest of my feelings. Hindsight? I would not put into question her honesty, (ONLY because I can't prove it), but I would put my feelings of never having a returned call.

Related to Severing the Ties With a Host-To-Be

1. "Why did you decide to email her instead of calling her back?"

I decided to email her instead of calling her back because email provides a written record of our communication and I wanted to make sure everything was documented in case there were any further issues.

2. "Why did you assume she had cancelled her show?"

I assumed she had cancelled her show because I had not heard from her and she had not responded to my previous attempts to contact her. In my experience, when a host is interested in having a show, they are usually very responsive and active in planning and communicating with me.

3. "Why did you mention her profession in your email?"

I mentioned her profession in my email because it was relevant to the situation. As a minister, I assumed she would have a strong sense of responsibility and would be more attentive to communication, especially since I had previously mentioned that I would be driving a significant distance to her show.

4. "Why did you offer her the option of a catalog show?"

I offered her the option of a catalog show because I wanted to provide her with an alternative to cancelling her show completely. A catalog show would still allow her to earn host rewards and for me to make a sale, while also being more convenient for both of us in terms of communication and planning.

5. "Why did you mention that Pampered Chef is a business for you?"

I mentioned that Pampered Chef is a business for me to emphasize the importance of communication and partnership in my work. As a consultant, I take my business seriously and value the partnerships I have with my hosts. It is important for me to work with people who are honest and respectful of my time and efforts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AshleyAllison
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ChefPeg
  • chefjessicah
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
mountainmama74
  • cookingwithlove