• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Reflecting on my AWESOME TIME: Highlights, Lowlights & Revelations

In summary, the conversation focused on the participant's experience of an awesome time spent with friends, having no babysitting to do. There were lowlights such as the Go For No presentation, which had been done before and lacked new information, and highlights such as Lydia Martin's workshop on promoting, Jean's shoes, and meeting other Chef Success & Director Chef Success consultants. Revelations included selling being a service, 6 out of 10 guests at shows thinking about the business, and the importance of asking the right questions during customer calls. The speaker also mentioned appreciating the focus on the business aspect of the conference, rewards for performers, and the emphasis on recruiting big numbers.
finley1991
Thoughts? Highlights? Lowlights? Revelations???I had an AWESOME TIME! I was able to spend a ton of time with friends. I only had 1 consultant (my mom) go with me so I had to do ZERO babysitting like I have in the past and it was the best experiences I have had BY FAR!Lowlights: IMO... Go for No disappointed. The recap was fine but their *management* info lacked a bit in my opinion because it wasn't new info. The lion-shark-hippo-retriever info has been done over and over and they didn't even make an effort to repackage the concept in a unique way. The only thing that made it bearable was sitting with Carolyn and Becky (HI! :D)Highlights: Lydia Martin's workshop on promoting. Blew my socks off! Her system is so friggin' basic that it's scary! I can't wait to try it this week! I think the incentives they are offering are fabulous. The bags aren't really my style but seeing as though I am a gift wh***, I will take them! They are so darn easy to earn, there is no reason why we can't! Oh... and of course, Jean's shoes! ;)Revelations: The ONE thing I think I got from the GFN couple was that selling is SERVICE. I liked that and it changed my attitude a bit on a lot of levels. Lydia Martin's workshop was not only a highlight but a HUGE revelation for me as well! She's going to post her notes on her website (.biz/lydiamartin) so you can check there this week for the info.So please share what you liked, didn't like, etc.!

I liked the testimonial that the girl was "selfish" for not sharing how TPC had changed her life with others (not recruiting). It's true! If you love what you do and you love what TPC is doing for you, then it really is selfish to not share that with others & provide to them the same opportunity that you've had to improve your life, your finances, etc. ;)LOVED meeting some of the other Chef Success & Director Chef Success consultants! :D

Oooh Colleen I was going to say highlights DEFINITELY included hanging with you and Carolyn. Oh EM GEEEEE......

I agree on the Go fo No people.
I heard Lydia Martin at Spring Launch and she is simply amazing- and seems to be such a class act. Very real. She totally inspired me. I did not, however, get to hear her at conference.
Tammy Stanley- the material was not fantastic. Those I was with who have seen her previously said she was nowhere near as good as she was.
HOWEVER- I didn't think she was terrible. I took some good "reminders." home.
Promotion pointers with Paula Schmietendorf ( no clue how to spell,) and Stacy Helpburn was pretty good. They were both great speakers- very likeable.
I love the approach that Paula encouraged- don't focus on helping your team members to directorship- help them to focus on building strong teams. Also, asking up front, "Do you want to be trained as a leader or as a consultant?" So simple and yet so effective.
What I got the most from conference was a renewed sense of motivation. I was lookin for it, hoping to find it, and by golley it bit me in the butt. I am excited about my business again. I have been in SUCH a funk. Now not so much.
I want to apologize to Janice for being a distubance during the Adv Director training thingie. I swear it was Jen's( the girl beside me) fault. J/K! I am as guilty as she. But I am sorry we were loud- I really didn't mean to be. It was way cool meeting you!!

Sheila said:
I liked the testimonial that the girl was "selfish" for not sharing how TPC had changed her life with others (not recruiting). It's true! If you love what you do and you love what TPC is doing for you, then it really is selfish to not share that with others & provide to them the same opportunity that you've had to improve your life, your finances, etc. ;)

LOVED meeting some of the other Chef Success & Director Chef Success consultants! :D

Oh gosh Sheila me too! The Senior Director who spoke was so moving. Zellen? I got a little teary-eyed during her testimonial. And girl you are sooo much slimmer in person than in your picture!!

Lowlights- I missed the "show" at conference - the singing (the 3rd say was better), and the theatrics (balloons, circus), skit they did introducing the products (concentration) wasn't there either.

Highlights - Love the products, promotions (for recruiting AND shows) - yeah!!

Revelations -
With Recruiting - 6 of 10 guests at your show are thinking about the business. AND
With Recruiting - at shows, have them turn over their drawling slip and write down who you would nominate for the next Pampered Chef consultant
With customer calls - i always ask, "Is this a good time" but I should ask "Did I catch you at a bad time."
With Training - Teach them to fail (go for no)

Workshops, heard before, but helps to hear again - Sticker for guests "Help your host & be rewarded. For every outside order you bring to the show, get $1 off your order (no limits)"

beckyjsmith said:
Oooh Colleen I was going to say highlights DEFINITELY included hanging with you and Carolyn.

That was a given!!!! :D

Boo... LOWLIGHT... only 2 recipes in the catalog? :( DISLIKE!And yes... I'm looking at if for the first time right now! :p

Lowlight: The seating situation. Most of ya'll got reserved seating, but if you didn't the General Session can turn into a a near WWE match. People RUN in to reserve rows of seats. And if you end up in the back, you can't see the stage. I sure how they improve the seating for General Sessions.

Highlight: I really thought they did a great job of reaching in and touching people's hearts this year. It was more of a business meeting and less of a circus act. LOVED that!! My favorite class was Rapid Results for New Consultants. I don't remember who the instructors were right now, but they were great. It wasn't just the same info again! Some of it was of course, becuase it works. But there was new info and it was presented in an approachable fashion.

I would like to see more workshops or to drop one day. This is a business trip and if you want to hang out and check out the city you need to add a day before or after. More meat n potatoes or less time.

Becky, you are funny! LOL I was 6 weeks postpartum in the photo. Although I do currently need to loose some weight! I've been enjoying stateside fast food a little too much since the evac. Trying to play catch-up on the last 4.5 years! ;)

beckyjsmith said:
I want to apologize to Janice for being a distubance during the Adv Director training thingie. I swear it was Jen's( the girl beside me) fault. J/K! I am as guilty as she. But I am sorry we were loud- I really didn't mean to be. It was way cool meeting you!!

You are so silly, Becky!! You were NOT a disturbance!! Soooo nice to meet you and everyone that I came across!

Carolyn, you are hilarious as always -- so lucky to know you!

jwpamp said:
You are so silly, Becky!! You were NOT a disturbance!! Soooo nice to meet you and everyone that I came across!

Carolyn, you are hilarious as always -- so lucky to know you!

Teehee.. the lady next to us you shushed us. I felt really bad about that. I really did. Thank you I yelled really loudly when you walked across the stage too!

Janice, you absolutely ROCKED your zebra dress!!! GORGEOUS!!!!!

This was my favorite conference by far too. I liked that it focused on this being a BUSINESS..yes it is fun, yes we can be friends but at the end of the day it is a BUSINESS. I also like that there rewards are being focused more and more on working on a business and rewarding performers. Did not like the Go for No people the first time, rehash the 2nd time and the break out with the sales managers was PAINFUL to me... I want fresh material... not a rerun of the conference call announcing the team recruiting challenge!!! That call was painful enough. Anyone else notice the HUGE emphasis on recruiting and recruiting BIG numbers... the new Wahoo Club.. Platinum 50+ recruits in 1 year... now that is a BIG Wahooo number!! I am a top recruiting and that is a HUGE to me.

pcjenni said:
This was my favorite conference by far too. I liked that it focused on this being a BUSINESS..yes it is fun, yes we can be friends but at the end of the day it is a BUSINESS. I also like that there rewards are being focused more and more on working on a business and rewarding performers. Did not like the Go for No people the first time, rehash the 2nd time and the break out with the sales managers was PAINFUL to me... I want fresh material... not a rerun of the conference call announcing the team recruiting challenge!!! That call was painful enough. Anyone else notice the HUGE emphasis on recruiting and recruiting BIG numbers... the new Wahoo Club.. Platinum 50+ recruits in 1 year... now that is a BIG Wahooo number!! I am a top recruiting and that is a HUGE to me.

That breakout was the worst part of conference for me. I was so looking forward to learning, and to just have the same info as the conference call in excruciating detail was a such a waste. The best part was that when I got up to leave, Ginger was sitting in the back, and she left with me. :) So we got to spend some time together.

Chefbeckyd said:
That breakout was the worst part of conference for me. I was so looking forward to learning, and to just have the same info as the conference call in excruciating detail was a such a waste. The best part was that when I got up to leave, Ginger was sitting in the back, and she left with me. :) So we got to spend some time together.

I had already left 1 workshop that I snuck into & was SO glad I did, because I got to hang out with you for awhile!!! :D :D :D

Chefbeckyd said:

Oh, I wanted to leave so badly!!! It was just painful rehashing the conference call! My breakout was with Rachel Geitzen, and she knows me.....I HAD to stay :grumpy: so I did a little catching up on fb :cool: to waste the rest of the hour! lol

My new Director Janis won $400 in the Wahoo Recruiting Club Challenge (she was a TL in that month) and another one, Laura was in the Whirlwind Shopping Spree Booth! YAY!!!!

Glad it wasn't just me that thought the breakout was a slow and painful torture. I also felt that the Go for No people were a waste this year. Really liked them last year, this year all I heard was "wha wha wha wha" (heard like the sound from the Teacher from Peanuts).

A big WAHOO and THANKS to Jenni for a great workshop on Recruiting! It was nice to meet you!

This is what is so great about conference; we all get something different out of it. I love the Go for No people. I still think their message is simple but incredibly complex. I know that I do not do all that I need to do to "fail" and that failure is still very scary for me. My breakout was with Judy Joel and as some of you know she can inspire a horsefly. While it was dull to rehash everything, I just love listening to Judy. I absolutely had no desire to see Tammy again, so I did not take her workshop, even though I always encourage everyone to take the guest speaker workshop. From what I heard I am glad I did not go, because I loved my Promotion Pointers with Cindy Lazor and Nancy Francis (it couldn't get better with these 2) and my Team Recruiting Game plan.

Chef Kearns said:
Lowlight: It was more of a business meeting and less of a circus act. LOVED that!!

I couldn't agree more! It was more like how Leadership Conference was... all about biz and NC would be about the party and basic training. But the bottom line is that we are all in business and it's their job to train us on how to get better.

Now I'm sitting here with my head spinning wondering what to start on first!!! Although maybe I should unpack!! :D

Melissa78 said:
Glad it wasn't just me that thought the breakout was a slow and painful torture. I also felt that the Go for No people were a waste this year. Really liked them last year, this year all I heard was "wha wha wha wha" (heard like the sound from the Teacher from Peanuts).

A big WAHOO and THANKS to Jenni for a great workshop on Recruiting! It was nice to meet you!

Thank you Melissa! Thank you for making a point to come up and meet me. It made a big difference for me personally because of the issues surrounding putting that workshop together.

I loved conference and all of the great announcements and promotions. Loved networking and seeing people. However, first year ever in 9 years that I was very disappointed in my workshops.

I didn't see Tammy Stanley last time and was REALLY looking forward to her workshop about Keys to Powerful Conversations. It was a big let-down!

First time I ever that I wrote some poor evaluations for workshops. Oh well. it's not like I don't know WHAT to do!! It's just a matter of doing it!! :)

I totally agree!! I thought I would really get something out the Director training/work shops since I just promoted, but they were SO disappointing :( BUT EVERYTHING else about Conference was AWESOME! :D

pamperedbecky said:
I didn't see Tammy Stanley last time and was REALLY looking forward to her workshop about Keys to Powerful Conversations. It was a big let-down!

My mom attended that one... she said that she seeked out upper level D's who where there to sit by and she said the some of the time they were commenting how what she said contradicted what PC says. She read me her notes on our drive home and I did a lot of groaning. She said a lot of the ideas just didn't sit well with her.

I actually don't sign up for any outside speakers because I want to hear the info direct from PC... I don't want generics...

finley1991 said:
I actually don't sign up for any outside speakers because I want to hear the info direct from PC... I don't want generics...

I usually don't either, but so many peopled loved her in the past, I didn't want to miss out!

I wonder if your mom was in the one I was - where half of the room's speakers weren't working, so for the first 15 minutes, people were telling her that they coudln't hear her and she messed around with the mic for a while. Then eventually someone moved to the other half of the room and announced she could hear her ok there, so 1/2 the room packed up and moved to the other side. I thought it just threw the whole flow of the presentation off at first, but it really turned out that it was the content (or lack thereof) that was the problem. The speaker issues just added to the disappointment and made the presentation worse!

I really enjoyed Tammy Stanley's workshop. I like "meat and potatoes" "direct and to the point". I do not like "fluff" or "nicey nice - let's dance around the subject". I loved her conversation examples. How to start them and how to 'not' start them. What we are each looking for is something different and different things will connect with each person.
When my biz was in the toilet, it was her audio's I went back to on how to connect with my customers that I had left behind (poor customer service) and how to pick up the phone again and not feel pushy. How to admit that I dropped the ball and I apologize. How ask for their business again. Now she has taught me how to have those tough conversations with my team. She's right, I can't relate to whats going on in their life and I'm not about to try. As blunt as it is, I have enough in my life and don't need to involve myself to care to relate. BUT what I can do is work with them on their business and help them work their business with what is going on in their lives.

I listen to many speakers, Belinda, Karen, Tom, Steve, Tammy etc. They are not Pampered Chef and our businesses don't have to be all Pampered Chef ideas or wording. Some may very well contradict PC BUT they were ALL top of the game in their own businesses and just like 'retail is retail', 'direct selling is direct selling'. It's about what you take away and apply.

As I work in HR we LOOK for diversity. We should not just have PC ideas, that is why I do believe they bring in speakers. I have sat in MANY poor workshops (have even walked out on many who were 'elite') but I am sure there were many that said "Oh wow! They rocked it!" I know I personally didn't get didly out of the Go for No people but the lady behind me I heard say "Wow! I just love them."

ANd that is what makes the world go round!
HOpefully no matter how good or bad a workshop was, we were all able to have one take away. If we did - mission accomplished!

Chef Kearns said:
I would like to see more workshops or to drop one day. This is a business trip and if you want to hang out and check out the city you need to add a day before or after. More meat n potatoes or less time.

That's what I thought when I saw the schedule.

cookingwithlove said:
This is what is so great about conference; we all get something different out of it. I love the Go for No people. I still think their message is simple but incredibly complex. I know that I do not do all that I need to do to "fail" and that failure is still very scary for me. My breakout was with Judy Joel and as some of you know she can inspire a horsefly. While it was dull to rehash everything, I just love listening to Judy. I absolutely had no desire to see Tammy again, so I did not take her workshop, even though I always encourage everyone to take the guest speaker workshop. From what I heard I am glad I did not go, because I loved my Promotion Pointers with Cindy Lazor and Nancy Francis (it couldn't get better with these 2) and my Team Recruiting Game plan.

I :candyheart: Judy.

pamperedbecky said:

First time I ever that I wrote some poor evaluations for workshops. Oh well. it's not like I don't know WHAT to do!! It's just a matter of doing it!! :)

Tammy for directors was so horrible... I was actually worried about her that she was having some kind of nervous breakdown up there... it was so unorganized, and no content was delivered... however my consultants who saw her on Thursday said she was amazing!

almondfarm said:
Tammy for directors was so horrible... I was actually worried about her that she was having some kind of nervous breakdown up there... it was so unorganized, and no content was delivered... however my consultants who saw her on Thursday said she was amazing!

Which kind of stinks! If you are a motivational speaker, than its your JOB to be consistent. I was also at that show & I thought there was something wrong with her. Also she started her show early, I got there a few minutes before & she was already speaking to who was already there & just kept on talking & carrying on! By the time the 5 other women I was waiting for got there, we stayed for about 15 minutes, then up & left! I know alot of people feel that they paid & wanted to get their moneys worth, but I feel I paid & If I'm bored to tears, then I'm leaving We went for coffee & talked about out other classes & shared tips from them & went about having a GREAT time being there & sharing....Everyone has different reasons for going, BUT as long as you leave happy & glad you went, then you are a WINNER!!! :D

almondfarm said:

Exactly. And it started off on a weird note (at least the one I was in) - besides the whole speakers not working properly - when she prefaced everything by saying she hoped she didn't offend people....blah blah blah. So I wonder if someone called her out on something at a previous workshop and it threw her off? I don't know. She sure didn't seem prepared.

I did hear from my downline and others who saw her for the Consultants, Sr Consultants and TLs that her presentation was great for that. Maybe that's where she focused most of her preparation and the Director stuff got neglected. Oh well. At least SOMETHING was good for some people.

I just heard from another Director that she overheard a conversation at the beginning of Tammy's workshop that sounded like someone did in fact say something to her from the previous presentation along the lines that they were offended by something she said.

Perhaps that was in fact the issue.

Not sure...no biggie to me. I got lots out of it but thought I would pass that along...

It's funny - because I thought that Tammy Stanley was probably just a bit off-kilter because of all the issues with the sound system, and everyone kept interrupting at the beginning to say they couldn't hear, or that she needed to speak up. I know that would really throw me off. And then she had to rush through everything else, because of all the interruptions at the beginning, and then half the group getting up en masse and moving. That would be unsettling, I would think.

I thought she did a great job, and I really enjoyed her presentation, and it inspired me. So much so that I had a great conversation with my team that evening - one of the best group conversations we've ever had!

And that right there is what it is all about! No one can please the masses but if we can get a take away from it - thats what matters!

I did not have that conversation yet but I am well equipped for my "excuse queen" who tells me all about her life saga's and does a lot of talking but no walking. I feel confident instead of intimidated and fearful.

Love reading these because we all have a different perspective.

Highlights: Having so many team members there. Personally, I did get something from the Go For No people. The fact that concentrating on goals is not as productive as behaviors. This set the tone for the conference for me. They do have a dry and scripted delivery and yes, there was repeat and/or not so new information but I liked the refresher.

Lowlights: Very disappointed at the ULD event. Sliders, cheese and crackers? I really could have gone for at least ONE sit down dinner. And although we do not go for the entertainment, I found I missed the singers and dancers we usually have. The dancers we had were talented, but one session was enough. Meals...by the time we got through the line and got a seat, the food was lukewarm. Desserts on the table were tacky. Very obvious that corners were not just cut but hacked off in large chunks.

Disappointed we had just 2 workshops. One of mine was presented by some talented ladies, but I found I could not wait to get out of it.
Judy Joel...I just can not connect with her like I did Amy Neal. Found the workshop with her not inspiring.

Took Meet me at the Top. Fantastic and best workshop I have been to in years!

Main theme for me was to be more behavior driven and less goal driven. Behaviors do not let me down and I can attain them!

Again, we all take a different perspective on things and it is interesting to hear what we all take away.

I know Jillian Grant taught Meet You at the Top. Was that whose workshop you were in? If so, is she posting her notes on her website or her co presenter?

Anyone know jillians website? /jilliangrant doesn't work but since she started before she was Grant I guess that makes sense.

Ann, which one did you take? I was in the 2nd class, up on the 2nd row with a HORRIBLE headache & my head in my lap. I didn't get a whole lot from it because I felt so bad & just wanted to go lay down & sleep!!! :(

Melissa78 said:
I know Jillian Grant taught Meet You at the Top. Was that whose workshop you were in? If so, is she posting her notes on her website or her co presenter?

Anyone know jillians website? /jilliangrant doesn't work but since she started before she was Grant I guess that makes sense.

I think I saw somewhere that it's /jilliane (E for Eisenberg - her maiden name) but I haven't tried that yet.

baychef said:
Love reading these because we all have a different perspective.

Lowlights: Very disappointed at the ULD event. Sliders, cheese and crackers? I really could have gone for at least ONE sit down dinner. .

Are you KIDDING me?? Now the UL event is not even a dinner???

DebbieJ said:
Are you KIDDING me?? Now the UL event is not even a dinner???

Nope. Reception.

DebbieJ said:
That's just sad. :(

My D told me that the upper levels have expressed their disappointment and it came up again at Chairman's Circle... so who knows... maybe something will change...

Chefbeckyd said:
I think I saw somewhere that it's /jilliane (E for Eisenberg - her maiden name) but I haven't tried that yet.

I took the one right after Jillian and Teresa Brown. My speakers were Love Carpenter and.....I know her face but not her name.

Thank you for leading me to Jillian's notes!!!

DebbieJ said:
That's just sad. :(

I was highly disappointed and a bit critical in my survey. I had heard that HO was disappointed that more did not try for the coach purses. (for me personally, they do not interest me).

baychef said:
My speakers were Love Carpenter and

She spoke at our Director's Retreat... very interesting and informative!

almondfarm said:
here is Jillian's Website:

visit my website at www.pamperedchef.biz/jilliane- you may order or register here!

I can not log onto this link...help? I think the system is not working. I tried my own website via search and it did not come up.

Ann, you & I were in the same class!

Jillian's website is working, just take the dash off the end.

<h2>What are the highlights of the AWESOME TIME event?</h2><p>The highlights of the AWESOME TIME event included spending quality time with friends and learning from Lydia Martin's workshop on promoting. Additionally, the incentives offered by the event were well-received and the opportunity to earn them was exciting.</p><h2>What were the lowlights of the event?</h2><p>One lowlight of the event was a lack of new information in the management portion of the recap. The lion-shark-hippo-retriever concept had been previously covered and was not presented in a unique way. However, sitting with friends like Carolyn and Becky made the experience more enjoyable.</p><h2>What were the revelations from the event?</h2><p>The biggest revelation from the event was the idea that selling is a form of service. This changed the attitude of many attendees and provided a new perspective on the sales process. Additionally, Lydia Martin's workshop on promoting was a huge revelation, as her simple system for success was both basic and effective.</p><h2>What did you like most about the event?</h2><p>The best part of the event was the opportunity to spend time with friends and learn from experienced consultants like Lydia Martin. The incentives offered were also a highlight, and the ease of earning them was a major plus.</p><h2>What did you not like about the event?</h2><p>One thing that was disappointing was the lack of new information in the management portion of the event. However, the overall experience was still positive and the highlights outweighed any lowlights.</p>

What are the highlights of the AWESOME TIME event?

The highlights of the AWESOME TIME event included spending quality time with friends and learning from Lydia Martin's workshop on promoting. Additionally, the incentives offered by the event were well-received and the opportunity to earn them was exciting.

What were the lowlights of the event?

One lowlight of the event was a lack of new information in the management portion of the recap. The lion-shark-hippo-retriever concept had been previously covered and was not presented in a unique way. However, sitting with friends like Carolyn and Becky made the experience more enjoyable.

What were the revelations from the event?

The biggest revelation from the event was the idea that selling is a form of service. This changed the attitude of many attendees and provided a new perspective on the sales process. Additionally, Lydia Martin's workshop on promoting was a huge revelation, as her simple system for success was both basic and effective.

What did you like most about the event?

The best part of the event was the opportunity to spend time with friends and learn from experienced consultants like Lydia Martin. The incentives offered were also a highlight, and the ease of earning them was a major plus.

What did you not like about the event?

One thing that was disappointing was the lack of new information in the management portion of the event. However, the overall experience was still positive and the highlights outweighed any lowlights.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedlinda
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • Deanna Brown
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Deanna Brown
  • msmileyface