• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Preparing for a Cooking Show: Reimbursing Food Costs

In summary, Debbie does not demo a recipe during her show. She either prepares the food at the show or brings it pre-prepared. The food is already prepared, so she does not have to worry about reimbursement for the cost. She does a walk-through of the catalog during her show, and also hits on upcoming specials. Her show is successful and she has had several bookings so far.
tinat51796
I'm curious about all of you that do not demo a recipe during your show. You bring the food already prepared. Do you ask the host to reimburse you for the cost of the food? I'm trying to put together my first show and I'm looking at all the different ways to do them. Thanks! Tina

I do No Demo Shows. I make the recipe at home and bring it to the shows. I do not ask to be reimbursed for the recipe. Some people do, but I think it's just easier this way.

I have a consultant on my team who is interested in doing NO demo shows. How do you go about your show? Do you find them to still bring in the sales?

I've done it for guests who I've had so many shows with, they know the products, they don't need to hear my say anything...They just wanna hang out, eat and order!
So I prepare the food before they come, if I'm putting finishing touches on when they arrive, that's fine...
Make something easy and quick...

I also played a game and went over the host/guests specials...sorta an 'intermission'...and I had a display - show off the new products!

bumping. just want to see if anyone has anything else to add

I usually do my shows without a recipe demo. I call it my Walk through the Catalog Party. Here's a thread where I answer lots of questions and offer a general outline.

http://www.chefsuccess.com/showthread.php?t=16925&highlight=walk+through+the+catalog

This has been a successful show for me. It seems to suit my hosts and customers. It's not for everyone, though. I do offer a traditional show along with several other options. It's my goal to do whatever works best for the host.

I usually pay for the recipe ingredients. It's tax-deductible, and is just easier for me. I have one or two recipes I offer for a month or two. That helps cut down on costs because I can buy things in volume on sale.

Rae,
I was looking for your thread earlier, but didn't find it and then was doing other things. Your show is the first one I thought of when I saw this thread. So glad I got to meet you.

No demoIf you are doing a FREE cooking show for someone, then you cover the cost of the food.

If not, then you ask for $15 to be reimbursed for the food. Then add if she has 12 or more RSVP's you will bring a second recipe FREE. Then just do a cheap dessert in the trifle.

You could also do something like $500 in sales means you get a FREE cooking show and you don't have to reimburse me for the recipe.

It just depends on what you want to do.

Debbie :D

Hi
I have just started TPC in July, and all my shows have been no demo shows.
Although depending on the recipe, i have made the food at the hosts home, before hand, and basically the food comes right out the oven within 5 minutes of the start time...so the house always smells great!

My sales have been great, and my recruiter does this and finds her sales since she has been doing it this way did not decrease at all..

I am hooked! I can't wait to try this now.

I am definately planning on doing this for my next show.

I tend to get overwhelmed while cooking. So I find that I talk more about products when I'm NOT cooking. I got my ideas from Rae :D

I did this this weekend and it worked out GREAT!! In fact it is my best yet, it's sitting at $1255 and we don't close till Wednesday. I had everything almost done when the guests arrived. They ate and chatted about what they saw in the catalog, then I did the Queen of Shoppers and hit on the upcoming specials for both hosts and guests, how today's host would benefit from bookings. They really enjoyed the game. I had a little box with a prize for the last person to have the box (free shipping for their order). I got 6 bookings as well. I will definitely be doing this again.

Forgot, I also had my tool turn about at my checkout table and there were several ladies that added items even though they had totaled their order before they got to me. I'll be doing that again too. One of the ladies even commented that I must have taken a hint from stores where there extras at the sales counter. Hadn't thought about that but guess it worked.

ChefNic said:
I've done it for guests who I've had so many shows with, they know the products, they don't need to hear my say anything...They just wanna hang out, eat and order!
So I prepare the food before they come, if I'm putting finishing touches on when they arrive, that's fine...
Make something easy and quick...

I also played a game and went over the host/guests specials...sorta an 'intermission'...and I had a display - show off the new products!

Thats what I did for my very first show on Friday night. A no demo. I had about 16 people at my home and 3 had never been to a show. I did a brief PC history (VERY brief) went over guarantees and had a table of products that I went through. The customers sold everything for me! Right now I am at $1,100 dollars without at LEAST $200 more coming....People just wanted to eat, drink and chat! This is addicting!

I too love the no-demo shows, I have a combo party with another biz at the end of the month and its much more enjoyable when you can offer several different recipes (small and easy) for everyone to try, not to mention a beverage and just let the guests eat, chat about their favorite products and look at the new ones. Be on hand to answer any questions and give suggestions

I too am fairly new to PC and feel like I get flustered trying to talk about products and do a recipe at the same time. I sometimes find it takes longer doing that way, so I have found the no-demo shows much more to my liking.

I have also switched to doing the no-demo show. I was hesitant at first thinking that the guests want to see the products in action, but I tried it anyway. The first time I did, everyone seemed to have a lot of fun. In fact, the host told me she wanted to do another show the next month and I had 2 others (of the 3 guests that showed) say they wanted to book as well. Since that show, I have had several hosts rebook and LOTS of guests tell me that its the most fun they've ever had at a show.

Paula, what is the Queen of shoppers??
also, i want to try something like this but im afraid of how to start, what to say, .... any helpful tips?:angel:

I have thought about doing the no demo type of show....but I am not so sure.... still thinking on it!!!

Okay, I think you have all convinced me on the no demo show idea. I'm going to try it at my show tomorrow.

Last edited:
I am thinking that I should go to a no demo type of show becasue I can't talk and cook at the same time...but it could change!!

Has anyone ever done a show with no demo and food is prepped before...... But you have guest pick a product out either that they want to have or have it.... and tell everyone else at the show why they should have the product???

mommyhugz1978 said:
Has anyone ever done a show with no demo and food is prepped before...... But you have guest pick a product out either that they want to have or have it.... and tell everyone else at the show why they should have the product???

I use this at every show!! Guests are much more likely to buy a great product of their friend is telling them it's great, than if you are telling them it's great. This gives the opportunity for the guests to sell the products for you!

I play "Got it Love it" at every show ... but I'm usually doing a regular demo.

But MAN!! That would make our jobs look so much easier!
Other DS companies just show their products...I would think it would be worth trying - - but try it with a group of Seasoned Guests first!

Cassie1037 said:
I use this at every show!! Guests are much more likely to buy a great product of their friend is telling them it's great, than if you are telling them it's great. This gives the opportunity for the guests to sell the products for you!

I tired to do it at a show tonight.... But I demoed the top five products that I used.. for the recipe that I made.. and by the time I got to the fourth...... they were impatient..... this was 30 mins into the show... Now I don't' hand out catalogs until after them demo... becasue no one pay's attention to me......:yuck: I tried doing it where the guest... sharing their fave product one problem was they were grabbing the citrus peeler.... thermometer..... any suggestion???

ChefNic said:
I play "Got it Love it" at every show ... but I'm usually doing a regular demo.

But MAN!! That would make our jobs look so much easier!
Other DS companies just show their products...I would think it would be worth trying - - but try it with a group of Seasoned Guests first!

How do you play that????

Hey, For those who do the No demo.. what products do you show, and when and how?

Thanks.. oh Leah, I played Got it Love it, last night, and it was fun. each product i picked up, the first person to say GOT IT LOVE IT, got a kiss, (i threw bad.. lol) and the one with most kisses or wrappers won.

How would you play it with No Demo??

bumping! I really want to know what yall use! Please share!! ;)

thanks Becky!

I answered your questions in your thread about what products I bring.One thing I probably should add: I think it's important to bring a few more products when I'm not doing a recipe demo.

thank you so much rae!

You're very welcome, Heather.

Related to Preparing for a Cooking Show: Reimbursing Food Costs

1. How do I handle food costs when I don't demo a recipe during my cooking show?

At Pampered Chef, we understand that not all consultants may choose to demo a recipe during their cooking shows. In this case, it is up to the consultant to decide whether or not to ask the host to reimburse them for the cost of the food. It is always a good idea to discuss this with the host beforehand and come to an agreement that works for both parties.

2. What if the host is unable to reimburse me for the food costs?

If the host is unable to reimburse you for the food costs, you can either choose to absorb the cost yourself or find alternative ways to cover the expenses. For example, you could ask the host to provide certain ingredients or supplies, or you could incorporate the cost into the total amount of sales from the show.

3. Can I use my own ingredients and supplies for the cooking show?

Yes, you are welcome to use your own ingredients and supplies for the cooking show. However, if you choose to do so, it is important to factor in the cost of these items when determining your compensation from the show. It is also important to keep track of your expenses for tax purposes.

4. What are some other ways to handle food costs during a cooking show?

Some consultants may choose to use the host's ingredients and supplies during the cooking show. In this case, it is important to communicate with the host beforehand and ensure that they have all the necessary items for the recipes you plan to make. Additionally, some consultants may choose to incorporate the cost of the food into the total cost of the products being sold at the show.

5. Is it necessary to discuss food costs with the host before the cooking show?

It is always a good idea to discuss any potential food costs with the host before the cooking show. This will help avoid any misunderstandings and ensure that both parties are on the same page. It is also a good opportunity to discuss any dietary restrictions or allergies the guests may have, and make appropriate adjustments to the menu if needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mrslulu2012
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ChefJWarren
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pchockeymom
  • babywings76