• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Forged Cutlery in the Dishwasher

J, her dishwasher may not be up to the task. Here are a few suggestions for her: -Try using a stainless steel cleaner on the blade-Wash by hand with a mild soap and water- rub a little vegetable oil on the blade before hand
IAmChefJ
I have a host in tears... her hubby put her new 5" santoku knife in the DISHWASHER. She said the handle looks all cloudy and crappy now.

What are her options? I'm sure that putting it in the dishwasher voids the warranty, right? Is there any magic solution for making it look nice again?

I'm trying to find a solution for her that does not involve divorce court or jail time...

:eek:

J.

Give the Solution Center a try...and use the same words you used here. Given that this happened so quickly after receiving the knife, they may take pity on you (and smile at the divorce/jail time line). Your host may not have even had the opportunity to tell him not to put it in the dishwasher. Let them know she called you in tears. We all like to take care of the ones you love our products the most.

No guarantees; but be sincere and give it a shot. Good luck!

Hmmm....rub vinegar on it, let it sit for a minute, and then rub off? Vinegar seems to be such a miracle worker....

OH, that sucks! DH has actually put on of mine in too once, but I didn't notice anything wrong with it!

High-jack....I have a host who just bought the entire knife collection as a half-price item and is now considering sending them back because she thought they were dishwasher safe and doesn't want to have to wash them by hand! It would be too bad if she did, 'cause they're such beautiful knives!!

PChefPEI said:
High-jack....I have a host who just bought the entire knife collection as a half-price item and is now considering sending them back because she thought they were dishwasher safe and doesn't want to have to wash them by hand! It would be too bad if she did, 'cause they're such beautiful knives!!
It's because of that type of issue that I wish HO would add a "D" symbol to the catalog to items that are dishwasher safe.

Wow, they are so easy to wash that's crazy! Maybe she actually just decided she didn't want to spend the money!

Maybe she could try some silver/stainless cleaner on it.

PChefPEI said:
OH, that sucks! DH has actually put on of mine in too once, but I didn't notice anything wrong with it!

Who puts their knives in the dishwasher? I didn't even wash my cheap knives in the dishwasher before I got my good ones.:rolleyes:

rennea said:
Who puts their knives in the dishwasher? I didn't even wash my cheap knives in the dishwasher before I got my good ones.:rolleyes:

A lot of people do. The dishwasher I bought for my kitchen redo has a special holder for big knives. I'm never going to use it, but apparently the appliance companies have gotten enough feedback about it that they added it. Many consumers view "dishwasher safe" to be a bigger indicator of quality than it should be.

J, your customer's knife handle may just be dried out. I'd suggest rubbing it with a bit of cooking oil. Rub it in good, then wipe it off. Remind her that homicide, even when it's justifiable, carries a hefty penalty. The price is really high for a few moments of pleasure. ;)

chefann said:
A lot of people do. The dishwasher I bought for my kitchen redo has a special holder for big knives. I'm never going to use it, but apparently the appliance companies have gotten enough feedback about it that they added it. Many consumers view "dishwasher safe" to be a bigger indicator of quality than it should be.

My new dishwasher came with fold down inserts for stemware, I took them out even before it was installed!

I guess she has a great weapon in the knife if she is going to take action on her hubby!!! I'm sure it will still do the job on him with a "cloudy handle"...

chefann said:

My DH thinks EVERYTHING should do in the dishwasher! It drives me nuts. When I got my knives (got mine in March and paid full price) I told him if he even thinks about putting them in the dishwasher he will have a fight on his hands. So needless to say he places them on the side of the sink for me to wash:)

My roomate thinks everything goes in the dishwasher too ... we don't even have a dish drainer. The latest complaint (after I rescued my clustermate's ice cream scoop from the dishwasher) is that PC is too complicated. I said it is very simple ... don't dishwash cutlery, stoneware or the scoop. The borrowed scoop is being returned so the Tupperware one can be dishwashed.

Anyway ... my cutlery (gasp) has been dishwashed once or twice, and is not worse for the wear. My guess is that something settled on the handle or the soap re-deposited there. I would rub it with some oil and maybe loan her my honing tool if she doesn't have one.

I hate having to almost "husband proof" the kitchen!! Your poor customer, I feel so bad for her!! I would be upset too, hopefully it can be fixed.

On the other hand...I had a customer that admitted to putting her FC in the dishwasher after she broke the tip off her 7" Santoku and can she get it replaced. She started whining to me about how much she loves me and yada yada, and I was appalled!! I said I am so sorry that you broke your knife, however you broke it, it wasn't a defect AND considering it is not dishwasher safe and she voided her guarantee!!! She was MAD and mad at me!! I let her be mad b/c I know it is not my fault.

OH MAN!
NEVER tell a customer it can't be fixed no matter what the situation. I don't care if they hit their hubby in the head with a Stir_Fry skillet! (YEP one of my customer did and admitted it to HO and got it replaced!) Never make that decision yourself. You can not speak for the Home Office. That is why 1-888-OUR-CHEF is in place. Never tell a customer it can be fixed either. Simply write the 1-888-OUR-CHEF number on a piece of paper, hand it the customer, tell them to call that number and let HO handle it. I have let many of my customers call that number on things I would have thought too HO would say no to. BUT they have never NOT fixed a problem for me! No kidding! No matter what the issue or how it happened, they fixed it. So never tell a customer it can't be done because you voided the warranty! If it needs to be said, let HO do that. ALWAYS HELP WITH ANY RETURN. GIVE THEM THAT PHONE NUMBER! THAT IS WHY IT IS THERE!

Last edited:
pampered1224 said:
Why in Heavan's name would you not help a customer? When all you have to do is tell them to call 1-888-OUR-CHEF. Let HO tell them what can be done. You never have to say NO, you never have to say it will cost you, you never have to make them angry! Let HO tell them! Why be the bad guy EVER?
ALWAYS HELP WITH ANY RETURN. GIVE THEM THAT PHONE NUMBER! THAT IS WHY IT IS THERE!

I definitely have to agree with this! :) That's the beauty of the Solution Center ... we don't have to be the bad guys ... and, truly, I haven't had a customer who has been dissatisfied with the result so far!

My BF the real chef has a hard time remembering to NOT put "his" FC in the dishwasher. He also has a hard time remembering to NOT spray that stuff on the executive cookware to make it not stick. He uses the grill pan everyday & sprays that stuff on there & I tell him NO b/c it messes up the pan. I have even printed out the instructions online & highlighted the area that says that but he did it AGAIN last night. I told him he would be paying for a new one when he got finished ruining that one. :) Men are hard headed especially when they are a trained chef & think they know it all. :)

Oh, and I do feel for your customer. Hopefully HO will be on her side. :)

I've been putting my FC in the dishwasher since my first show, more than a month ago, and have noticed no ill effects. This post makes me nervous though, I'm going to stop right away!

My housekeeper (or my foster son) put one of my FC in the DW last night! It had spots on the blade, but they came off. Didn't have any Bar Keeper's Friend, so I held my breath and GENTLY used a damp SOS pad (don't tell anyone)

I agree with the vinegar suggestion if it appears to be a hard water issue.

Related to Forged Cutlery in the Dishwasher

1. Can I put my Pampered Chef forged cutlery in the dishwasher?

Yes, our forged cutlery is dishwasher safe. However, we recommend hand washing for best results and to prolong the life of your knives.

2. Will the dishwasher damage the forged cutlery?

No, our forged cutlery is made with high-quality materials and is designed to withstand the heat and water pressure of a dishwasher.

3. Do I need to use a certain type of dishwasher detergent for the forged cutlery?

We recommend using a mild, non-abrasive dishwasher detergent for best results. Avoid using harsh chemicals or bleach as they may damage the knives.

4. Can I wash the forged cutlery with other dishes in the dishwasher?

Yes, you can wash the forged cutlery with other dishes in the dishwasher. However, we recommend separating them from other utensils to prevent scratching and to ensure they are thoroughly cleaned.

5. How should I dry the forged cutlery after washing in the dishwasher?

To avoid water spots and rusting, we recommend hand drying the forged cutlery with a clean towel immediately after removing them from the dishwasher.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kdangel518
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ShelbyMichalek
  • NooraK
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • erin.tpc