• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Easy Vs. Rewarding: How to Overcome Obstacles and Motivate Your Team

they want. I've tried telling them how sweet and rewarding it will be each time they use a particular item knowing that they've earned it for free. And that the feeling will keep them motivated longer than the thrill of opening a box after buying it.........But I feel like this is what they hear: blah, blah, blah, blah.:rolleyes::rolleyes:...I've even had one Consultant who has already bought the popcorn maker. Now, she & I agreed that she would've never bought one of these. However, because she saw it in the flyer, she "just had to have it, but it was out of my reach" was her response.....The summary is that the expert is trying
amy07
I'm really trying to reach out to my team and coach them that by striving for all of the incentives/rewards that we are offered as "perks" to our business, that they will in fact build a bigger/stronger business.

But here is my biggest challenge & obstacle. They complain that the incentives are too hard! As an example, the Jan/Feb sales promotion for earning kitchen electronics. Several of my Team members want to get specific items. However, they feel that it is easier to buy them, than to get on the phone and book shows and earn them for free. I've tried telling how much sweeter and rewarding it will be each time they use a particular item knowing that they've earned it for free. And that the feeling will keep them motivated longer than the thrill of opening a box after buying it.........But I feel like this is what they hear: blah, blah, blah, blah.:rolleyes::rolleyes:...I've even had one Consultant who has already bought the popcorn maker. Now, she & I agreed that she would've never bought one of these. However, because she saw it in the flyer, she "just had to have it, but it was out of my reach" was her response.....

I will be the first to admit that some of the sales levels are higher than some of them have ever reached, BUT if it were easy EVERYONE would be getting the reward. So, for those of you that are striving for them, what makes the difference? Your own personal goal to do well? Is it something your Director is doing to encourage you? And if so, what is he/she doing? I want to help them achieve their goals.

I personally feel that PC is constantly coming up with incentives that are really good. So there's something great every couple months or so. I try to just always do my best and pursue as much as I can because I want all the rewards I can get. However, I am realistic that a lot of the incentives are out of my reach. I'm not a seasoned consultant with tons of contacts. But I just plug along and do the best I can, then when I reach an incentive level I'm rewarded and it feels great. I think that as a director, it's good to just make sure they are fully aware of the promotions and the details. Then offer whatever training they need. If you are excited about the rewards, hopefully that will rub off on them. If not, I don't think you can make them change their attitude. Maybe what they need is just general guidance of how to improve their business, incentive or not. I know I need help sometimes but feel uncomfortable asking because I know how busy my director is. I am super happy that we are doing some training exercises at our next meeting. It's just the help I need. Once they are more confident in their abilities (and see the fruits of their labors :) ), then maybe they'll set the kind of goals you'd like to see them make because they know they can do it.I'm rambling, and I don't know if I'm any help whatsoever.

Personally I don't need any of the electronic items they are offering. Have the ones I want, and the others, well do I really need a margarita maker?? That being said, I will be darned if I don't earn something!!

It's about motivating people with what motivates them. Not everyone needs ribbons and pins, or ice cream makers. It's our jobs as leaders to find out what motivates our teams and then go forward.

The easy thing is rarely the most rewarding. It's easier to drive from the start of the Boston Marathon to the finish line, but I doubt it's as rewarding as actually running it. (Not that I'll be finding that out at any time. Ever.)Buying a nice meal is easy. Making a wonderful meal for your loved ones is much more rewarding. The easy way will get you the prize. The rewarding way will get you character, self-esteem, and much, much more.

PamperChefCarol said:
Personally I don't need any of the electronic items they are offering. Have the ones I want, and the others, well do I really need a margarita maker?? That being said, I will be darned if I don't earn something!!

It's about motivating people with what motivates them. Not everyone needs ribbons and pins, or ice cream makers. It's our jobs as leaders to find out what motivates our teams and then go forward.

I understand that, but when they want what is offered and still choose to not work for it, it can be extremely frustrating. To go and buy something that they could've earned for free if they had put forth the effort drives me crazy -
In this particular case, the Consultant was motivated/desired it, but chose the easy way out. And bought something that she really couldn't afford (or even knew existed).

Maybe she has a hard time living up to her expectations, and fears failure. By just buying the item, she won't be disappointed if she fails. And since she already has it now, she doesn't have to hold herself accountable and then beat herself up over not earning it later (thinking that she will fail).

very astute Amanda! Amy, you are going to HATE this answer. You can offer, but their decisions are their own. The only thing I do beyond that is have them make set and track their goals and I show them how to do it.

If they are complaining, this is a good time to ask them what does motivate them and how can you support that. If they feel that the point levels are too high, then maybe they would like it if you recognize their achievements in your next team communication, or ask them to do a recipe demo at the next cluster meeting.

I have 2 new consultants and my approach, beyond the initial cook and book, is to support them in any way they need and I can. I will keep an eye on them and intervene if they are in trouble, but I see my job really just to make sure they know the rules, and to support.

Hope that helps

My ED was saying she was a "carrot grabber" and that was what motivated her when she first started. She said she still is and works had to get every reward even though as an ED, she gets the Director package for each season, she wants extra and does the SAT! I worked harder than I ever have in the 13 months I have been in business Nov & Dec and won my first free products. Although I didn't get as high as I wanted, I did earn some so I am excited and proud to say, "I get some of the new Spring products free and would love to show them to you and your guests in February!

Great words, Jane!
"I get some of the new Spring products free and would love to show them to you and your guests in February!

Bumping this up - what if you have a new consultant that "says" shes motivated, but after get coached by me as to how to get her business to take off (just signed up this month) still has done nothing and is complaining????

c00p said:
Bumping this up - what if you have a new consultant that "says" shes motivated, but after get coached by me as to how to get her business to take off (just signed up this month) still has done nothing and is complaining????

Spend as much effort on her as she is willing to spend on her business. You can't MAKE her do anything but if she's willing to to small tasks and start achieving she just might become a star. But don't let her suck all your energy while she just sits there and whines.

My answer for the original question on this thread is similar. Go over the upcoming incentives and then have them help you break down how they can earn them. Sales needed -> number of shows (at THEIR show average) -> how to get those shows -> how to get additional sales in and out of the show -> if there's a recruiting requirement, how to find leads and how to follow up. Let THEM tell you how to do it. They all have ideas, you just need to help them realize it and act on them. If you tell them everything it's just "blah, blah, blah, blah" but if they come up with it among themselves it's "ah ha!".

1. How do I motivate my team to overcome obstacles?

Motivating your team to overcome obstacles starts with effective communication. Make sure to clearly define the obstacles and explain why it is important to overcome them. Offer support and resources to help your team members overcome the obstacles and recognize and reward their efforts and progress.

2. How can I make the tasks more rewarding for my team?

Creating a positive and supportive work environment is key to making tasks more rewarding for your team. Show appreciation for their hard work and provide opportunities for growth and development. Additionally, involve your team in setting goals and allow for autonomy in completing tasks.

3. What if my team members are not motivated?

If your team members are not motivated, it is important to understand the root cause. Have open and honest conversations with them to identify any obstacles or challenges they may be facing. Offer support and resources to help them overcome these challenges and find ways to make their tasks more rewarding.

4. How do I maintain motivation in my team over time?

Maintaining motivation in your team over time requires consistent effort and communication. Celebrate successes and recognize individual and team achievements. Provide regular feedback and support, and involve your team in decision-making processes to keep them engaged and motivated.

5. Can I use rewards to motivate my team?

Rewards can be a powerful motivator for your team, but it is important to use them strategically. Make sure to tie rewards to specific goals or achievements and provide a variety of rewards, such as recognition, opportunities for growth, and tangible rewards. Additionally, make sure to recognize and reward effort and progress, not just the end result.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ardipc
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
annew
  • Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
StacieB
  • Sheila