• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Don't Highlight Your Hair Yourself

orange. Thankfully, I only did it once and my husband ended up fixing it. I'm not sure how I would have fixed it myself. I think it would have taken a lot of bleach and time and I didn't want to mess up my hair that badly.Thanks Meghan. Yes, I do live in the Tacoma area. This is great information about the salon academy. I will definately keep it in mind, for when this start's to grow out.
pamperedpals
Gold Member
Last Friday my DH's niece decided that she would help me highlight my hair and this is what happened. DH say's he likes it. You can see from my avatar that I had dark brown hair.

Attachments

• img032.jpg
    img032.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 347
d'oh! Can you find a stylist to help you fix it?

Can you just dye over it? (I am sure its probably not logical, but might help?)

DebbieJ said:
d'oh! Can you find a stylist to help you fix it?

Yeah, if I had $120. I think I am going to let it grow out a little and then dye my hair as close to my natural color as I can get.

Do you like it even just a little??? Its definitely different from what you were used too---

Do u like it? You may get use to it after a little bit. I think it looks good.

My mom does my hair. The last time we did it, the color was darker than what I wanted but after a few days and compliments from others I grew to really like it too.

vwpamperedchef said:
Do you like it even just a little??? Its definitely different from what you were used too---

I am starting to get used to it. After looking in the mirror for 36 yrs and seeing dark brown and then all of a sudden seeing honey blonde, it was a shock. Everyone at work loves it and say's it brighten's my face. :)

Give it a try then---change is always scary in the beginning.

vwpamperedchef said:
Give it a try then---change is always scary in the beginning.

That's what I'm going to do. I also don't want to fry my hair to bad, by turning around and coloring it again. :eek:

pamperedpals said:
That's what I'm going to do. I also don't want to fry my hair to bad, by turning around and coloring it again. :eek:

Do u have a hairstylist that could recommend the right color if you do re-do it yourself? That way you would not have a mess up.

pamperedpals said:
Last Friday my DH's niece decided that she would help me highlight my hair and this is what happened. DH say's he likes it. You can see from my avatar that I had dark brown hair.

I agree with your DH. I think it looks good. Both colors look good on you. I'd just leave it. ;)

jrstephens said:
Do u have a hairstylist that could recommend the right color if you do re-do it yourself? That way you would not have a mess up.

I was going to the same stylist for over 20 years, but the with cost of gas, I couldn't justify it anymore. :( I just received the name of someone who is close by from the lady I carpool with. I think when it start's to grow out, I will visit her.

kitchenfun2day said:
I agree with your DH. I think it looks good. Both colors look good on you. I'd just leave it. ;)

Thank you!:)

i think its a good summer color :)

you still work in tacoma, right? --
if you dont like it or after summer is over & you want to go darker again....
the salon academy next to the tacoma mall is where i ALWAYS get my hair colored. ask for a stylist who is getting ready to graduate & it costs like $25 for an all over color. the newbies are a little cheaper but i have had problems with my hair in the past with them.

thecougchef said:
i think its a good summer color :)

you still work in tacoma, right? --
if you dont like it or after summer is over & you want to go darker again....
the salon academy next to the tacoma mall is where i ALWAYS get my hair colored. ask for a stylist who is getting ready to graduate & it costs like $25 for an all over color. the newbies are a little cheaper but i have had problems with my hair in the past with them.

Thanks Meghan. Yes, I do live in the Tacoma area. This is great information about the salon academy. I will definately keep it in mind, for when this start's to grow out.

I let a friend of mine that is a hairstylist put highlights in my hair when I was in my early 20's. I thought I was just going to get a few streaks and I ended up almost blonde. I have never done it again and I have never dyed my hair. I've been too afraid. Luckily the gray hair comes late in our family. I'm 36 and just pluck them out here and there when I find them.

I had a friend "highlight" my hair once too - with the result of my hair being completely died. She didn't know what she was doing and even though I am blonde I became a very brassy blonde.

My hair dresser wasn't too happy with me when I came in the next time and it was months later. We eventually did low lights to make it a little better. I now only let her do my hair.

It looks nice in the picture and I am sure you will get used to it - it is hard in the beginning.

I paid a lot of money once to have the same thing happen to me. I went to an upscale hair place in the downtown area of the town I lived in. I was in total shock. I thought I asked for a highlight, not a complete color change! It will grow out soon enough, and you may end up liking it. A friend of mine who does hair actually charges more if she has to fix a do it yourself job.

I never color my hair but a few years ago I went to an upscale place (I wanted it done right). Well, he charged me a fortune by my measurement and I couldn't even tell he did ANYTHING. He even took me out in the sunlight - nope, couldn't tell. NO ONE noticed a difference. I have medium brown - dark blonde hair and wanted more like strawberry blonde. He said he couldn't do that (HUH??) but said I was getting blond highlights with a little red thrown in.

Yours does look nice, by the way.

Give it time, you just may end up liking it (i already do!) I have been coloring my own hair for the last 20 years (Nice & Easy from Walmart!!) I once asked my hairdresser about treating myself and having her color it, but she said not to waste my money, my job looked just fine!;)

As for hair academies/schools-that is a GREAT idea!!! My friend turned me on to one here and my 11 year old daughter LOVES to go!

You never know, you may find that blondes have more fun!:cool:

Not that you looked bad with brown hair but I personally think it makes you look younger.

jkinak said:
You never know, you may find that blondes have more fun!:cool:

That would be nice. :)

minersmix said:
Not that you looked bad with brown hair but I personally think it makes you look younger.

Thank you I needed to hear that!

I don't think it looks too bad. I am a hairstylist. My best advice is to make sure you know what brand of color you used if go to have someone re-do it. There are some home colors that will cause a chemical reaction with professional color. Also if you don't go to the school (which is a good idea) make sure you get some back ground on the stylist. From reading the other posts, I can see that some people weren't happy. Some of the chain salons hire stylists that just graduate and they aren't always familiar with the products they have to work with. I am a master colorist and I educated for a world wide company for the last 10 years. I really think that it looks ok. If it seems too gold or "brassy" you can use a blue based shampoo. Sally's Beauty sells a really good one. Give it a couple weeks then make up your mind. :thumbup:

1. Can I achieve salon-quality results by highlighting my hair myself?

While it is possible to achieve good results when highlighting your hair at home, it can be challenging to get the same level of precision and technique as a professional stylist. It's important to carefully follow the instructions and use high-quality products for the best results.

2. What are the risks of highlighting my hair myself?

There are several risks involved in highlighting your hair yourself, including uneven or brassy color, damage to your hair from harsh chemicals, and allergic reactions to the products. It's important to do a patch test and thoroughly understand the instructions before attempting to highlight your hair at home.

3. Can I use any hair dye to highlight my hair?

It's important to use hair dye specifically made for highlighting, as it is formulated to be gentler on your hair and provide more natural-looking results. Regular hair dye can be too harsh and may not lift your hair enough to create noticeable highlights.

4. How often should I touch up my highlights?

The frequency of touch-ups for your highlights will depend on your hair growth rate and desired look. On average, touch-ups are needed every 6-8 weeks, but some people may be able to go longer between appointments. It's important to consult with a professional stylist for personalized recommendations.

5. Can I use a highlighting kit on colored or chemically-treated hair?

It is generally not recommended to use a highlighting kit on colored or chemically-treated hair, as it can cause damage and potentially ruin the color. It's best to consult with a professional stylist for the best approach to adding highlights to previously treated hair.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
jrstephens
  • chefjwr
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • PCMomto4
  • General Chat
Replies