• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Unresponsive Directors? Here's What to Do | Expert Tips

In summary, the person is having difficulty getting information from their director and they are thinking about trying to get help from their upline.
amy07
Ok guys, are there people on your team that you just don't want to deal with? What do you do? I'm having a really hard time getting info from my director. Recently I got an email that she sent to her whole cluster, that she was going to offer a class with a note to let her know if you were interested. Great! Email her back that I would like more info - the response? "Call me to get the dates and times if you are interested" I know that sounds reasonable enough, but hello I already DID contact you!!:mad: Would you consider that a blow off? I mean if someone emailed me about hosting a show after getting my newletter, I would be on the phone calling them not sending them another email to call me!:rolleyes:

Maybe she's just a really bad communicator. Maybe she lost her train of thought while in the middle of the email.

Personally? I'd give her a call, ask about the dates and times, and tell her how I felt about the email.

My director is just like that. I have to call her. She is too important and when she DOES call she is obviously irritated when she gets a machine (I am not imaginating it!) and takes at least a day to return the call back. One time I got to the phone as it went to machine, she left the message "call me back I have somethingn to tell you". I called her back less than 5 minutes later and she said she was busy and would call me back later. When I said "didn't you just call me?" she replied "that was 15 minutes ago." SOOOOOOOOOORRRRRY.

My point is that there a lot of people out there like that. Just let her know how you feel and then depending on how she reacts go from there.

(BTW I did tell my director how I felt and she responds with things like "I will run my business the way I want" and "I am always there to help you" - OH?)

And Beth is proof that you don't have to have a fabulous director to be successful!Try going to your upline if you feel comfortable.

BethCooks4U said:
My director is just like that. I have to call her. She is too important and when she DOES call she is obviously irritated when she gets a machine (I am not imaginating it!) and takes at least a day to return the call back. One time I got to the phone as it went to machine, she left the message "call me back I have somethingn to tell you". I called her back less than 5 minutes later and she said she was busy and would call me back later. When I said "didn't you just call me?" she replied "that was 15 minutes ago." SOOOOOOOOOORRRRRY.

My point is that there a lot of people out there like that. Just let her know how you feel and then depending on how she reacts go from there.

(BTW I did tell my director how I felt and she responds with things like "I will run my business the way I want" and "I am always there to help you" - OH?)

OMG this sounds SO like my AD...are you sure we;re not in the same cluster?!?

And another thing, I am constantly doing 20 things at a time when my brain really can only handle about 5. I have trained my consultants to remind me when I say I will do something and I forget. It could be that she forgot what she put in the email.

cmdtrgd said:
And another thing, I am constantly doing 20 things at a time when my brain really can only handle about 5. I have trained my consultants to remind me when I say I will do something and I forget. It could be that she forgot what she put in the email.
I do this too! I always tell everyone that if I don't do something I said I would PLEASE TELL ME because I truely mean to!!

Thanks for the compliment, by the way.:eek:

Carolyn: My director is an AD too. ...Hmmm. No, we would know if it was the same person. But it would be fun to be in the same cluster!

You never know what is going on in another person's life. You don't know how many issues (either PC or personal) that others are dealing with . There may certainly be those directors or Upper Level Directors out there that are mean spirited, but I think the number is lower than we think. I find myself in the same situations as a Director, but right now, I am doing the best I can, but it isn't how I want to be as a Director. There may be a reason your Director is asking you to call in addition to e-mail response. One frustration as a Director is preparing for an event for your downline and you are really pumped to present it to your team. And then you are blown off. And you may say, well, she deserves it if she doesn't do all she can for her team. In the beginning I did and was repeatedly frustrated but how easliy many would complain their business isn't where they want it to be, but don't take advantage of trainings, etc.
I'm babbling and have some "issues" I am dealing with today so I may be in a downer of a mood!!! I guess what I am trying to say is call and even ask if there is anything you can do to help. That may open a conversation that will help you understand better. Yes, Directors get a higher pay, but I feel that we earn it too. I know of one really excellent Director that dropped her directorship because she didn't feel the effort to put into it was worth the extra pay. Sorry if I babble!!!

cmdtrgd said:
Try going to your upline if you feel comfortable.

That information is not available - we are told that her recruiter quit, her director does nothing and is out of state and that she made it on her own - guess that's why I'm supposed to? BTW, I am not in her first line, so maybe that's the difference?

My director keeps calling me on my house phone - We rarely answer it - It goes to answering machine in 2 rings. I try to get everyone to call me on my cell but people forget

you know, my DH told me that the whole thing reminds him of the show "Survivor". We are "supposed" to be a team, but when it really comes down to it, it is each man/woman for themself.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm starting to feel the same way....................

....ok, out of the pity party again - atleast I know that I can log on here to get great ideas and encouragement - you guys are the best!!:D

Amy, if you know who your Exec Director is, you can start there and then work your way back down. You need to know who your Exec is to attend conference, so I'm guessing that's common info?

Oh my gosh, how frustrating for you all... I honestly can't relate because my Director and my upline Director (Senior Director) and my Upline, Upline Director (Executive Director) are all amazing and always there for support. My upline puts on trainings for not only their downline, but usually the entire downlines of all clusters around our state. I'm completely spoiled, I know!

I would suggest calling her. As much of a pain in the butt as it may be, you'll learn that you have to react to situations differently for different people. If she needs phone contact, then with her, that's what you'll have to do. Others will want email contact, others something else. Everyone has there quirks and as frustrating as it may be, you have to roll with them sometimes and not sweat the small stuff... keep your chin up!

Wow, this makes me really thankful for my director. She just recently promoted and we decided to do small team cluster meetings instead of going ot the hospitality one she was a part of. This month (3rd month doing this) we had 4 out of 7 team members attend. It was great to meet everyone. This month she even had us set up a buddy system where we wrote down our 3 goals for the summer and then gave that with our contact info to our buddy. It was great. I feel like we are starting to become a team rather than individuals and everyone was excited to help each other come up with ideas.

Something you can be thankful for is that you have found CS and so you have directors and others that can help when you have questions/issues/need support. This is something that many do not have.

May your director and you find a way to work together positively and you feel like you are getting the support you need.

My upline is fabulous too and helps me support my team...and from a different state even! That helps me trememdously.
I agree about starting with your Exec. Director and work your way down. Sounds like there is some shuffling going on. You say that you were told her recruiter quit, etc. Where is this information coming from, your recruiter? So on your commission check it states who your recruiter is, your director and then who is above your director. Can you contact any of them?
If not why would HO not be able to tell you who you are connected to?
I know it must be frustrating for you. Let us know how you make out with your phone calls.

amy07 said:
That information is not available - we are told that her recruiter quit, her director does nothing and is out of state and that she made it on her own - guess that's why I'm supposed to? BTW, I am not in her first line, so maybe that's the difference?

You can call HO and they will give you your upline's number. I do coaching calls with my director's director, and she is phenominal (BTW, you can't submit someone like this for hospitality director of the year...)

My recruiter and first director quit, and after a very short time, my new director got very tired of being there for me... Long story short, it is very important to feel comfortable with someone in your upline who can be there for you. Keep plugging away, but find someone to connect with because it's fun to share success with someone who will pat you on the back (even by e-mail!)!

And, you do NOT want to become bitter like her...

This month she even had us set up a buddy system where we wrote down our 3 goals for the summer and then gave that with our contact info to our buddy.
I LOVE this idea ! Thanks for sharing Tasha!

tlennhoff said:
This month she even had us set up a buddy system where we wrote down our 3 goals for the summer and then gave that with our contact info to our buddy. It was great. I feel like we are starting to become a team rather than individuals and everyone was excited to help each other come up with ideas.

I LOVE this idea, Tasha! Thanks for sharing!

Another thing you can do is to call HO and find out who your sales manager is. Mine is Tracy Williams. However, at New Director Training, Karen Logston was one of the "teachers" and she is not my sales manager. So, that is why they are there - to help you out. You do have to realize that they each support about 15-20 execs and are very busy. Whoever your sales manager is could put you in contact with a successful part of your upline.

WOW! I am really fortunate to have the cluster and upline I do. I saw at conference last year some of the ways people talked to each other and I was shocked. I mean, don't get me wrong, we all have our "debates" but sheez.

AJPratt said:
WOW! I am really fortunate to have the cluster and upline I do. I saw at conference last year some of the ways people talked to each other and I was shocked. I mean, don't get me wrong, we all have our "debates" but sheez.
My upline is very polite and nice to each other but not always warm if you know what I mean. I absolutely love many of them so don't get me wrong here! And I can't think of anyone who would actually argue in public.:eek:

But then there are the few... I have one sister consultant who rode the 6 hours back from Leadership in my car and had her arms crossed and said not one word the whole time. I still am not sure what I did to make her so angry but I would have rather she told me so we could iron it out and besides you can at least be polite! It had been a stressful trip anyway and to end that way was just the frosting! (That was the trip that Travel Planners messed up our room and we had none and... well it was a mess all week.) This is one of the consultants that is our director's pets so I hear how wonderful she is CONSTANTLY from director - uggg.

That's okay, Beth. We know who the wonderful one really is.

raebates said:
That's okay, Beth. We know who the wonderful one really is.

I'll second that, as Beth is ALWAYS helpful and polite with ALL of my questions!!:D

Yeah-- Beth's great. I can't imagine anyone not getting along with her.

Twiddle-heads. Must be twiddleheads. (That's The Furry Guy's word for people just too stupid to function.)

Aaahhh.... the people who swim in the shallow end of the gene pool....

You've got it.

Awww thanks guys!:eek:

You are all the greatest! What a great virtual cluster we have!!!

Don't forget me!! I love Beth, too! And, I don't get why someone won't at least say something. My Nana always used to say, "If you think its hard to say what you feel, imagine them not being your friend. If you're OK with that, then don't say anything." Meaning, the stress on the relationship will kill it automatically.

I also agree with someone who said that maybe her director had something else going on in her life to make her a little difficult.

I had a great talk with my ED who is now my director. We have set some goals together and one is to keep in better touch with my downline. I want to grow in this business and I believe I can, however, I need to focus less on my own sales (not ignore my business, however), delegate office duties (I work full time too so time is very limited) and figure out more ways to build time into my schedule so I can be the supportive person I know I can be.

Ok, Beth, I want to know...how did you keep from opening the nearest door to the Grand Pouty One on your trip back and not accidentally slip her out the door? :eek: Ok...that's mean...how about leaving her in a restroom and throwing your voice to make it appear that she is in the vehicle?? :rolleyes:
:D

1. How do I deal with unresponsive directors on my team?

Dealing with unresponsive directors on your team can be a challenge, but there are a few steps you can take to address the issue. First, try to schedule a face-to-face meeting with the director to discuss any concerns or issues you may have. If that is not possible, send a clear and concise email outlining your concerns and requesting a response. Be sure to follow up if you do not receive a reply.

2. What should I do if I am having a hard time getting information from my director?

If you are having a hard time getting information from your director, it may be helpful to reach out to other team members or colleagues who may have the information you need. You can also try scheduling a meeting with your director to discuss your need for information and how best to obtain it.

3. How should I respond to a director's email about offering a class?

If a director sends an email about offering a class, it is important to respond promptly and clearly. Let the director know if you are interested in the class and request more information if needed. If the director responds with a request for you to call them, be sure to follow up with a phone call as soon as possible.

4. Is it appropriate for a director to respond to my email about hosting a show by asking me to call them?

While it may seem like a blow off, it is not necessarily inappropriate for a director to respond to your email about hosting a show by asking you to call them. However, if you have already contacted the director via email, it may be more efficient for them to provide the necessary information in their response rather than asking you to call.

5. How can I improve communication with unresponsive directors?

Improving communication with unresponsive directors may require some effort and patience, but there are a few strategies you can try. First, make sure you are clearly communicating your needs and expectations. It may also be helpful to establish a regular communication schedule with the director to keep things on track. If all else fails, consider speaking with a supervisor or HR representative for additional support.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• akaskydebil
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
chefkathy
  • almondfarm
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
tpchefpattie
  • amy07