• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bears at Our House: An Unexpected Adventure

last year we had a bear problem at my boyfriends house. He and I were at the fire pit and he was talking on the phone w/ his sister and I was eating and something caught my eye. There less than 10 feet from us was a 300 lb bear. Not a huge bear, but too close. I looked at it for a few seconds while it registered what that was. I said something to my boyfriend and we took off up the hill to the house, the bear followed us. The bear would come w/in 5 ft of us, not scared at all. Needless to say we called the Game Commission and they gave us shotgun shells called buckshot. When you hit
janetupnorth
Gold Member
So, we had about 9 black bears around our house last year at various times. One set was a mom and 3 cubs. My kids got to see them on May 9th last year in the a.m. and the babies were the size of a teddy bear.

Well, our elderly neighbor about 3/4 mi through the trees let his little dog out about 1 a.m. on Wednesday. Mama bear tore the little dog up. It is still alive after some surgery (dog is 10 but this older couple's BABY!). I just found out this a.m. from another neighbor.

DH just called and the bears were in at camp too causing issues. The DNR has put 1 trap up, but that won't take care of all 4!

Our dogs usually stay out all night (they are bigger) but they were going NUTS last night. Tomorrow we are getting fence pieces to make them a kennel so they can stay out like they like with less issues...fun, fun...

...and no, KG this thread isn't about ripped underwear (bare trouble)... ;)

You think a little chain link fence is gonna stop a bear?I just hope it's a trap and relocate, come to think of it, I know some people where I'd love to have 'em drop off a bear family.Goldilocks and the One Idiot would be a perfect couple to have them for neighbors. Of course, it would only take a couple of weeks before the bears moved away.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You think a little chain link fence is gonna stop a bear?I just hope it's a trap and relocate, come to think of it, I know some people where I'd love to have 'em drop off a bear family.Goldilocks and the One Idiot would be a perfect couple to have them for neighbors. Of course, it would only take a couple of weeks before the bears moved away.
Nope, I know the fence won't, but it will give the dogs enough of a chance to get in through their door in the garage. Basically it is an excuse to get them a pen. They LOVE being outside, but with all the wild critters we have to put them on a leash or they will run. I hate having them "tied up" and would rather let them be in a fenced area unless we are out with them.It is SUPPOSED to be a trap and relocate with camp and kids around and what it did to the dog. However, if they don't relocate far enough away, they come right back...He-he...don't think I could stand them as neighbors much lest the bears...

I am not sure what your family feels about guns. But last summer we had a bear problem at my boyfriends house. He and I were at the fire pit and he was talking on the phone w/ his sister and I was eating and something caught my eye. There less than 10 feet from us was a 300 lb bear. Not a huge bear, but too close. I looked at it for a few seconds while it registered what that was. I said something to my boyfriend and we took off up the hill to the house, the bear followed us. The bear would come w/in 5 ft of us, not scared at all.
Needless to say we called the Game Commission and they gave us shotgun shells called buckshot. When you hit the bear it is rubber pellets so it stings the bear and scares it but doesn't hurt or kill it. So if you are okay with guns and have a shotgun or access to borrow one, maybe call the game commission and ask for some buckshot.

Oh, trust me, there are a few shotguns around and some rock salt shells coming home tonight! Last year we managed all year without any real trouble...but now that the cubs are a year older...well, they are more destructive...

When we had our problem the Game Commission said they thought they were 2 year old cubs and mom had just kicked them out so to speak.

My boyfriend had to lock up the garbage in the shed after cleaning it up twice and the bears tried to get the dog food out of the outside kennel, and in turn were mean w/ the dog, woke up my BF in the middle of the night and he had to bring the dog in to sleep until the bears went away.

I know my boyfriend on more than one occasion told me he had planned to "accidentally" load the shotgun w/ a real shell. But he never did. Very frustrating.

I do have to say, I am so glad there was no mom around and I hope for your sake and families sake they catch the mom asap.

I wish you luck!!

Ours are 1 year cubs so mom is still with them this year and has been spotted with them. They get kicked out next year.She's been training them for the last year though!!!!

LOL! I can only imagine the trouble you are having. I really hope that they catch them soon. Weather is finally turning and I would be so scared to let the dog out or my DD to even play for fear that mom & cubs would be around.

Not to scare you, but do you watch Grey's Anatomy? A few weeks ago there was an episode w/ bear attacks...freaky.

We have had quite a few bear sightings around here too. I think 2 years ago a little girl was killed by a bear when her, her mom, and brother were attacked by one. It happened about 30 miles from here. Then we have had them show up in peoples back yards. One was hit by a car on the interstate a few months ago and put down.

WOW!! That is horrible. Such sad news.

Sometimes, it makes me want to live in a city. Like when I am walking on a trail in the woods and cross a fox or bear tracks, or come home as neighbors are standing at the end talking about the bear that was there 3 min before I came through.

But then occassionaly, you see the really beautiful things like fawns frolicking in the fields or the blue heron in the river and my personal favorites the hawks and bald eagles.

And I like to see grass. That in itself will keep me out of the cities.

I haven't seen any bears around here yet this year. We do have a cougar around though. I won't go outside at night a lone!!

Oh, wow, Janet - good luck!! My brother lives in CT, and his neighbor had a family of black bears in their backyard for months last summer. The momma charged at their 2yo DD, and after that, the kids weren't allowed to play in their backyard all summer. Thank goodness my brother lives across the street with a swingset and a big yard - that's where the neighbor kids played all summer!! EEK! Best wishes and keep us posted!

Oh my, BEARS??? Yikes, I saw a little snake while gardening today and literally peed my pants, imagine what seeing a bear would do to me!!

rennea said:
I haven't seen any bears around here yet this year. We do have a cougar around though. I won't go outside at night a lone!!
I have to say....I do NOT blame you for not going outside. SCARY!!!:eek:

I wouldn't go outside bear in this weather, either.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I wouldn't go outside bear in this weather, either.

Hey KG, it might scare the bears away from me though! ;)

And I complain about the raccoons, opossum, and coyotes around here.

raebates said:
a Coyote caught my kitty a few years back. So sad. I was depressed for weeks.
I really don't have proof it was a coyote but we let her out one morning and she never came back. She wasn't sick or old so she would have gone away for that. We checked all the roads around and she wasn't there so we really don't have any other idea than the coyotes. They are building so much around us that our woods is one of the only areas left with trees. It makes me so mad when they just keep building. Why do we need so many buildings?? :mad:

We have a REAL stuffed bear in my parents cellar. My dad is a hunter. He is on his hind legs.

raebates said:
I took the dog outside last night before bed and we could hear this "bleating" noise for a few minutes and then the coyote pups barking in the woods. The dog was scared, and the hair on the back of my neck was standing on end. I figure mama killed a deer. But I wasn't going to go find out.

Well, now we have a bear in the Milwaukee area, in northwestern Wauwatosa.http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/18983969.htmlThere was a black bear sighted north of Milwaukee in 2005, and he was tracked with sightings through Cedarburg and eventually in - ready for this - Wauwatosa, where he was tranquilized and relocated.One can't help but wonder if it's the same bear - as the poet said decades ago...How ya gonna keep 'em
Down on the farm,
After they've seen Pair-eee.

If they relocated him, they tagged him so they would know...Interesting...I've had deer running down I94 in MKE with me but not a bear.I do find the writing of the article funny...city folk!"He reportedly likes bird feeders." DUH?!?!?! THEY LIKE FOOD!

Heyyyyyyyy, BOO-BOO! Where's da pic-a-nic baskets?

Oh, have to add that I remember the 2005 story...my mom thought it was so neat and knew Sammie liked black bears that she clipped the articles and mailed them up to us. My parents also got her a stuffed black bear that summer as a gift...Here is the 2005 article and pictures on the right:
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=321820

1. What is "Bears at Our House: An Unexpected Adventure" about?

"Bears at Our House: An Unexpected Adventure" is a heartwarming children's book that follows the story of a family who unexpectedly finds a group of bears living in their home. It teaches important lessons about friendship, kindness, and acceptance.

2. Is this book appropriate for all ages?

Yes, "Bears at Our House: An Unexpected Adventure" is suitable for readers of all ages. It is a great read for young children as well as adults who enjoy heartwarming and uplifting stories.

3. Who is the author of this book?

The author of "Bears at Our House: An Unexpected Adventure" is Debbie Dadey, a New York Times bestselling children's author known for her imaginative and funny stories. She has written over 150 books for children and has received numerous awards for her work.

4. Are there any educational themes in this book?

Yes, "Bears at Our House: An Unexpected Adventure" touches on themes of family, acceptance, and different cultures. It also introduces young readers to the concept of wild animals living in their natural habitats and the importance of respecting and preserving nature.

5. Can I purchase "Bears at Our House: An Unexpected Adventure" through Pampered Chef?

Yes, "Bears at Our House: An Unexpected Adventure" is available for purchase through Pampered Chef's online store. It makes a great gift for children, and a portion of the proceeds from each sale goes towards supporting children's literacy programs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kathytnt
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefann
Replies
Views
chefjeanine
Replies
Views
grainsmommy