• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Panic Last Night: When a Snake Visited Our Deck

In summary, one night, the speaker and her husband had a panic when their dogs were acting strange while being taken out. They discovered that a snake had bitten one of their dogs and took her to an emergency vet. Fortunately, the dog received treatment and is now recovering. The speaker also mentions that they will inform their community about the incident and reminds everyone to be cautious around areas with tall grass. The conversation also includes various people expressing their dislike for snakes and sharing similar experiences with their own pets.
Kathytnt
Had a panic last night. My husband and I were going to turn in for the night early so he took the dogs out. They were on the leash and he ws standing on the deck. Kyra my Eskie/Chow mix jumped back when she went by the tree. When he took Xander out he jumped around the same place.

Hubby went out to see what they were freaking about. There has been a small lizard that goes up the tree by our deck but the dogs were acting different then if it was the lizard. What does my hubby find but a 18 inch snake. He killed it and put it in a container. If you see Kyra's picture in the Photos section you can see she is big furball. We saw no punctures but the wasn't actine like herelsf. Kyra was acting strange. Docile, sleepy and like her mouth was dry. I remembered there was a emergency vet within about 15 minutes of our house. I found them on the internet - Hubby grabbed the dog and we headed out. I verfied the direction on the way.

As we arrived Dave got to thinking that perhaps we shuold check Zander to see if he was o.k. I got Kyra checked in and Dave ran home to observe Xander to see if he was showing any signs of problems.

Being able to bring in the snake was very helpful so that the vet knew what ind of snake and whether it was poisonous. Although in Texas there seem to be few snakes that are not poisonous.

Blood tests show she was bitten - Her face was a little puffy but not in severe pain like most dog usually are in this situation. We think the small snake may have shot most of his venom the first time around when he missed her and got a little venom in her on the second try. The poison can cause clotting problems and such so she stayed at the vet overnight. She is on pain meds although she hasn't really been showing much sign of pain. Also on antibiotics since there is probably a puncture somewhere hidden and don't want risk of infection. Thank goodness we didn't need to get antivenom because it would have been about $800. We have a vet bill of about $650 OUCH

She is at home and doing well. Kirby and Xander (who is fine) were both happy to see their sister back.

Wow, Kathy! Thank goodness it wasn't one of the kids!

I'm glad the dogs are okay. I know they can be like kids to us, too.

I am also glad the hubby didn't get bitten when he killed it. Where are going to let the management know so they can notify the rest o the residents in our community so that they are aware. There is not tall grass and all around our house and we are always careful around our neighborhood with some houses with tall grass.

I hate snakes too!!! I went to a garage sale today and this lady there was walking around with a snake OUT OF A CAGE!!!!!!! I left that garage sale very quickly. Glad to hear everyone is ok.

nicki25 said:
I hate snakes too!!! I went to a garage sale today and this lady there was walking around with a snake OUT OF A CAGE!!!!!!! I left that garage sale very quickly. Glad to hear everyone is ok.

YIKES! No sale!

What kind of snake did it end up being?

Poor puppies. Glad this story had a happy ending.

Oh I don't like snakes!! Glad to hear your babies are going to be ok.

Wow! I'm so glad they're ok!! That's scary. Once my dog (a springer) when I was younger must've been bitten by a spider or something and her whole face totally puffed up. We ended up taking her to the emergency vet in the middle of the night because she couldn't breathe that well. I remember that as clear as day and it was probably 25 years ago!

Copperhead - Like cottonmouths they are usually around water. There is a creek not far from our property.

Both dogs that encountered the snake are skittish or completely avoid the area where my hubby killed the snake.

Kyra's face is still a little puffy. Her regular vet called this morning. Looks like she will slowly make a full recovery.

Our dogs are like our kids.

Just wanted to update - Kyra is doing better and almost back to her old self. She is starting to eat normally and playing with the other dogs and her swelling is almost gone.

Glad to hear she is doing better! :)

Glad to hear your furry kid's doing better.

I have 6 cousins - two from my mom's older brother that each have 2 legs and 4 from my mom's younger brother that each have 4 legs...

This one is very talkative - It so good to see her getting back to herself

What type of snake visited your deck?

The snake that visited our deck was a harmless garter snake. It was about 2 feet long and had a black and green striped pattern.

Is it common for snakes to visit decks?

It is not uncommon for snakes to visit decks, especially if there is a food source or shelter nearby. However, most snakes are harmless and will not pose a threat to humans.

What should I do if a snake visits my deck?

If you see a snake on your deck, the best thing to do is to stay calm and give it space. Snakes are usually just passing through and will leave on their own. If you feel uncomfortable, you can call a professional to safely remove the snake.

How can I prevent snakes from visiting my deck?

To prevent snakes from visiting your deck, make sure to keep it clean and free of debris. This will eliminate potential hiding spots for snakes. You can also remove any food sources, such as bird feeders or pet food, that may attract snakes.

Is it dangerous to have snakes on my deck?

Most snakes are harmless and will not pose a danger to humans. However, if you are unsure about the type of snake on your deck, it is best to err on the side of caution and call a professional to remove it. It is important to never try to handle or approach a snake, as this can increase the risk of a bite.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Tara1021
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Tara1021
Replies
Views
plannerose
  • smspamperedchef
  • General Chat
Replies