• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Authentic Southern Gumbo Recipe: Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage in Spicy Gravy

In summary, Chefann says that the gumbo she had in Charleston was the best she's ever had. She would love to be able to make it at home, and if no one has a recipe like this, she'll call her grandma.
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
Hi all your chefs out there...

I had the best Gumbo while in Charleston, SC last week. It had chicken, shrimp and sausage, in a brown, spicy gumbo gravy served over southern white rice.

I WOULD love to be able to make this at home. Does anyone out there have a really good gumbo recipe like this one or similar? DH liked it too, and he's a picky eater. If no one has a recipe like this, will you all call your grandma's for me? :blushing:

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Seriously? No one has a gumbo recipe?

Beth, Di, Chefann, Bsaxman...where are you guys?

DH makes a really good gumbo. It's a variation of a Paula Deen recipe - very good. He doesn't add the crabmaet that she puts in it. Let me see if I can find it for you.

It's pretty much this recipe, but he uses chicken, shrimp and sausage. We don't add the crabmeat, scallops or oysters.

Savannah Seafood Gumbo

Ingredients:
1/4 cup oil
6 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup celery, diced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
4 cup chicken broth
3 cup water
1 tablespoon chicken base
2 Bay leaves
1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon Paula Deen's Lemon-Pepper Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoon Paula Deen's House Seasoning
2 tablespoon soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup dried parsley
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes seasoned with garlic, basil, and oregano
OR
2 cup diced tomatoes
4 cup cut okra (fresh or frozen)
2 cup oysters and liquor
1/2 lb crab meat
1 1/2 lb fresh peeled shrimp
3 cup Bay Scallops
File Powder
4 cup sliced Cajun-style fresh link sausage

Directions:
In a large pot combine oil and flour. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the roux has browned to a light chocolate color. Add onion, pepper, celery and garlic. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly add chicken broth, and chicken base, stirring as you go. Add water, bay leaves, thyme, basil, parsley, lemon pepper, cayenne pepper, House Seasoning, soy sauce and tomatoes. Cut sausage into 1/2-inch pieces. Add to pot along with okra. Cover pot and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add oysters, crabmeat, shrimp and scallops. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Serve over hot buttered rice. Sprinkle with file powder on top of bowl and stir in.

Tip: Add File' Powder after putting Gumbo into individual serving bowls. Adding File' into the pot will make the Gumbo too thick as File' powder it acts as a thickening agent.

Yield: Approximately 8-10 servings
Preparation time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
Cooking time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Ease Preparation: Easy

Recipe Courtesy Paula Deen

pamperedlinda said:
It's pretty much this recipe, but he uses chicken, shrimp and sausage. We don't add the crabmeat, scallops or oysters.

Savannah Seafood Gumbo

Ingredients:
1/4 cup oil
6 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup celery, diced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
4 cup chicken broth
3 cup water
1 tablespoon chicken base
2 Bay leaves
1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon Paula Deen's Lemon-Pepper Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoon Paula Deen's House Seasoning
2 tablespoon soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup dried parsley
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes seasoned with garlic, basil, and oregano
OR
2 cup diced tomatoes
4 cup cut okra (fresh or frozen)
2 cup oysters and liquor
1/2 lb crab meat
1 1/2 lb fresh peeled shrimp
3 cup Bay Scallops
File Powder
4 cup sliced Cajun-style fresh link sausage

Directions:
In a large pot combine oil and flour. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the roux has browned to a light chocolate color. Add onion, pepper, celery and garlic. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly add chicken broth, and chicken base, stirring as you go. Add water, bay leaves, thyme, basil, parsley, lemon pepper, cayenne pepper, House Seasoning, soy sauce and tomatoes. Cut sausage into 1/2-inch pieces. Add to pot along with okra. Cover pot and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add oysters, crabmeat, shrimp and scallops. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Serve over hot buttered rice. Sprinkle with file powder on top of bowl and stir in.

Tip: Add File' Powder after putting Gumbo into individual serving bowls. Adding File' into the pot will make the Gumbo too thick as File' powder it acts as a thickening agent.

Yield: Approximately 8-10 servings
Preparation time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
Cooking time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Ease Preparation: Easy

Recipe Courtesy Paula Deen

Thanks, Linda...how much meat should I use? The one I had was made with chicken, shrimp and sausage... I'm not a big lobster, crab, or scallops person, so I'd make it the way your DH likes it.

____edited____
Never mind- I figured it out. The "OR" part confused me- It looked like it was telling me to use the first list of ingredients OR the second... silly me!

He just keeps adding until it looks/tastes right. Definitely get a bottle of file powder to shake on top of your serving too - adds the proper zip to it.

I've made Paulas recipe too and it is awesome. We love Gumbo around here.

Shoot me now - but Zattaraans (sp?) Gumbo mix is not half bad if you are in a hurry - its not Paulas but it will do - I doctor it up with okra, peppers and onion. It calls for smoked sausage. I add shrimp or shrimp, sometimes some crab. It is great for leftovers.

Did you try Shrimp and Grits while you were there? Now THAT is some good eating! Pretty much a staple around here - we even had it at my daughters wedding in champagne glasses!

Cindycooks said:
I've made Paulas recipe too and it is awesome. We love Gumbo around here.

Shoot me now - but Zattaraans (sp?) Gumbo mix is not half bad if you are in a hurry - its not Paulas but it will do - I doctor it up with okra, peppers and onion. It calls for smoked sausage. I add shrimp or shrimp, sometimes some crab. It is great for leftovers.

Did you try Shrimp and Grits while you were there? Now THAT is some good eating! Pretty much a staple around here - we even had it at my daughters wedding in champagne glasses!

No, I didn't try grits...I'm still stuck on my dislike for Malt-o-Meal, so I can't get past that and make myself try the grits.

Good to know about the Zattaraans- thanks! :)

This how my husband and our families make our gumbo

Large pot of boiling water about half way full (how every much gumbo you want to make) add some jar Savoie's dark roux mix - put how every much you want the more you put the thicker it gets (not powder one) mix well till disolved add chicken, sausage, fresh sausage, season blend (onions, bell pepper, etc.) and whatever else you like orka, etc. and cook till chicken is done (couple of hours) and that is how we do it in Louisiana

nikki70563 said:
This how my husband and our families make our gumbo

Large pot of boiling water about half way full (how every much gumbo you want to make) add some jar Savoie's dark roux mix - put how every much you want the more you put the thicker it gets (not powder one) mix well till disolved add chicken, sausage, fresh sausage, season blend (onions, bell pepper, etc.) and whatever else you like orka, etc. and cook till chicken is done (couple of hours) and that is how we do it in Louisiana

Eeewww, you guys eat WHALES? kidding, I knew you meant Okra! :)

I love shrimp & grits - yummo!

Related to Authentic Southern Gumbo Recipe: Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage in Spicy Gravy

1. What makes this gumbo recipe authentic to the Southern region?

This recipe includes traditional ingredients and cooking techniques commonly used in Southern cuisine, such as the use of a dark roux and the combination of chicken, shrimp, and sausage.

2. Can I substitute the protein in this recipe with other options?

Yes, you can customize the protein in this recipe to your liking. Some popular substitutions include using crawfish instead of shrimp or using a combination of different types of sausage.

3. How spicy is this gumbo?

The heat level in this recipe can be adjusted to your preference. The combination of spices and seasonings provides a medium level of heat, but you can add more or less cayenne pepper depending on your taste.

4. How long does it take to make this gumbo?

This recipe takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes to make from start to finish. However, the actual cooking time may vary depending on your stove and the size of your ingredients.

5. Can I make this gumbo ahead of time and reheat it?

Yes, this gumbo can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply add a little bit of water or broth to the gumbo and heat it up on the stove until it reaches your desired temperature.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pcjenn
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
pcjenn
  • leftymac
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • shelly.nurse