Recipe Review: Shrimp à la diabla

Discussion in 'Recipes and Tips' started by leftymac, Aug 17, 2009.

1. leftymac

leftymac

This is from the first volume of Sabor Latino, and I decided to make it tonight.

Time to prepare: 25 minutes
    Cost: ~$20
    Ease of preparation: 4/5

I purchased easy peel shrimp so that I would not have to do the deveining myself. I put the rice in the Rice Cooker Plus and immediately set to work on peeling the shrimp, which took about 10 minutes. This step is what caused me to give it a 4/5 on ease because some people may think it's a pain. I had no problems with it though. While that was done, I spent another 5 minutes or so chopping the onion and putting the chiles in the blender.

Overall, this recipe is delicious and is beautiful on the plate. One word of caution though -- the spice is EXTREME. I'm eating as I'm typing this and my eyes are watering, my nose is running, and my lips are throbbing. :)

The recipe calls for 30 dried chiles de arbol, but I think the next time I make it (and I will), I will halve that amount. If you like spicy food, you should love this!

Attached Files:

2. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Gold Member

I get so excited when I see you post a review...because I know there will be a picture with it!:love::chef:

3. Shawnna

Shawnna Gold Member

thanks for the "review". I don't get to cook anymore...except at parties...because we are so busy with the restaurant we just eat there. However, we are about to downsize a little. While we will still have a restaurant the hours and location is changing and I am so excited about getting to cook real food again. My son loves to order Shrimp Diabla at the Mexican restaurant we take him to for a treat. He will be so excited that we can make it at home...lol

4. leftymac

leftymac

Thanks Becky!! You know on my facebook I have a whole album of food pictures. :)

5. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Gold Member

Hey - I need to friend you! I'm going to find you....

Okay, Keith - I just friended you...

6. DebbieJ

DebbieJ

I used to visit the message board for my area on Chowhound.com pretty regularly and one guy would ALWAYS post pics with his restaurant reviews. It was amazing. I can't imagine sitting in a restaurant taking all those pics, but I certainly enjoyed them!

7. CMEYER

CMEYER

Hi,

Can anyone share the Shrimp a La Diabla recipe with me? I need a copy. Thanks.