• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Advice About My Director Needed Please

S
sfdavis918
OK, so I have gone back and forth about posting this because I didn't want to sound like a whiner, but I figure this is a good place to talk about it. My director is not very good about keeping in touch with me at all. I haven't talked to her aside from 2 emails in 5 months. We haven't had a cluster meeting since January. She said that no one is available, but I haven't been asked if I am available in that whole time. I have expressed my concerns to her but they seem to fall on deaf ears. She has been doing this a long time, 8 years I think, and seems to have lost her oomph. I have a couple of friends who she did shows for and even they said she was getting crabby!

I really like the cluster meetings because we all get together and share ideas. This site has helped me a lot so that's good. I guess my real question is, how can I keep myself motivated without a director? I have definitely found that I am the type of person that needs to have that outside influence. Any suggestions?

TIA!

Sarah,Good for you for looking for help! First off, do you know your upline directors? If so, contact them (if not, contact HO to get their contact info) and ask them for help. Express your concern that YOU are not getting what you want, not that your director is not giving it to you. That is what your upline is for. Secondly, find an accountability buddy through your cluster or here. Do weekly check-in phone calls to make sure you both are one track to where you want to go. Third, take teleclasses, listen to CDs and watch DVDs - you can get them on the paperwork supply order form. And Fourth, figure out what YOU want out of your business and post questions here.

sfdavis918 said:
OK, so I have gone back and forth about posting this because I didn't want to sound like a whiner, but I figure this is a good place to talk about it. My director is not very good about keeping in touch with me at all. I haven't talked to her aside from 2 emails in 5 months. We haven't had a cluster meeting since January. She said that no one is available, but I haven't been asked if I am available in that whole time. I have expressed my concerns to her but they seem to fall on deaf ears. She has been doing this a long time, 8 years I think, and seems to have lost her oomph. I have a couple of friends who she did shows for and even they said she was getting crabby!

I really like the cluster meetings because we all get together and share ideas. This site has helped me a lot so that's good. I guess my real question is, how can I keep myself motivated without a director? I have definitely found that I am the type of person that needs to have that outside influence. Any suggestions?

TIA!

Sarah, do you know your advanced director? Is she someone you could call for help....and possibly go to her meetings? OR maybe she would have an idea of another director in your area who's meetings you can go to.....I think if you have tried to work through this with your director (And it sounds like you have) but are not getting any help or support, than it is perfectly fine to go farther up your line for help. You have goals for your business, and you need to have someone who will support you in those goals.

I would look on your comission statement for your Dir's upline. Call HO to get contact info for her and call her. Simply tell her you are looking for more training opportunities than are currently being offeredd to you. That way you are being truthful but do not need to be negative about the director.

just my $.02

Have you contacted HO (Career Solutions) with your concerns? A workshop I attended at Leadership included the info that in the Director agreement it states that Directors must have meetings and send out a newsletter. If you aren't getting the training and support you need, then you won't have the business you want (not that you can't get some of that here, but it's nice to have that personal touch, too). Do you have names and numbers for other consultants in your cluster? How about your upline, above your Director? They should be willing to help you out, too. After all, you're also in their group.

OMG! We all answered at the same time with essentially the same info! Great minds think alike!

WOW.... we were thinking basically the same thing! I guess it must be good advise!

chefann said:
OMG! We all answered at the same time with essentially the same info! Great minds think alike!

We are smart little cheffers now aren't we?:p

See what happens when you go to conference!

:D

You guys are awesome!!! I posted, left for 10 mins to put DS down for a nap, and when I came back there was already 8 posts!!!

Thanks so much for the advice. I will look into my uplines and see if I can go to one of their meetings. I didn't even realize that the directors must send out a newsletter, I have never received one in 9 months!

As far as what I want from my business, I definitely want to make this work so that I can continue to stay home with my 2 little guys. Since I started though, a new goal is to become a director and show mine what a real director should be!!!:p

Directors MUST send out a newsletter? I didn't realize that was an actual requirement. Did I read that wrong?

A newsletter is not specifically mentioned - recognition is.

My director has never sent out a newsletter. Hmmm....

Recognition how? Is that like recognition in front of (either in person or via email or something) your peers, or is a simple email with 'YES!!!' sufficient?

I know how you feel. My director who is also my recruiter emailed me once saying that I am doing a great job and wanted to talk to me sometime about my business. I gave her my number in CT and then nothing. I emailed her back but still haven't heard from her. I definitely feel all alone. It stinks!!!!

Hospitality
sfdavis918 said:

TIA!

I know usually hospitality directors are for out of state consultants who are looking for a cluster meeting to get plugged into when they move to a new place but I suggest you look for one now.
I think it is very crucial to have some accountability from someone who genuinely cares for your business, who can help you when you need it, who can answer questions for you, and keep you motivated.
I really think you should just stop contacting her if she really doesn't care and doesn't seem to want to help you out and find someone who will. You feel passionate about your business and should be around others who feel the same way. I say FIND some fellow cheffers in your area who feel the same way you do and can greatly benefit you. I would be lost without my director. She is GREAT!!!

Debbie :D

cookingmommy said:
I know how you feel. My director who is also my recruiter emailed me once saying that I am doing a great job and wanted to talk to me sometime about my business. I gave her my number in CT and then nothing. I emailed her back but still haven't heard from her. I definitely feel all alone. It stinks!!!!

You're not completely alone Erin....you have all of us. :) Here you are welcome to 'toot' so we can all share in eachother's achievements!

leggy

I have had more encouragement and "recognition" here that I have ever received from my Director, and it has just been wonderful.

I got to meet my Advanced Director at Conference and she assured me that I could call her ANY time, even though she is across the state. I also met some amazing people at conference that I will be keeping in constant contact with.

Chin up, sister...you have resources, it's just that you may have to look a little harder for them than some others do. But the find is worth the hunt!

Sarah,

Every Consultant needs and deserves guidance in their business. As a Director “that’s part of our job?” If your Director is not working with you ~ let her know. I know that might sound silly – but she might not think you need help (I can’t see how, but she might not) Start at the front and work forward. I don't know exactly what all of the issues are (hers or yours) - but give it a try. If she does not respond to your inquires, reach up. That is what I truly love about this company "we have no territories" – all consultants can reach out and UP to their up line Directors. I am fortunate enough to have a fabulous Senior Direct, Executive Director and NED – I can call or email them at any time (and believe me ~ I have;) ) – AND – they call or email me back!!!

You DESERVE answers and help – reach out Sarah. If you get no response, you always have us!!!!:D

GOOD LUCK and lean on us...

sfdavis918 said:

TIA!

I'm posting my response before reading what everyone else is telling you also -- mostly to keep my thoughts in order.

I hear exactly what you are saying -- I met my director in person for the 2nd time ever. I met her when I first signed and went to a show with her but didn't really chat. We have spoken on the phone maybe 3 times since I signed in December. I think after conference I may get more support from her (she lost her advance directorship July 1 so I expect she's motivated to improve her business too).

However, even without support I've been fairly successful -- I had my first show Jan 29th and since them my career sales are over $11,500. Yes, they can be higher, but I'm very happy with what I've done (and inspired to have an even bigger Fall season).

I got lots of support from my virtual cluster -- those wonderful and giving people here on Chef Success. I really feel that I owe a lot of my success to everyone here. I got BETTER support here than I would have just with my own cluster (which has meetings 2-3 hours from my house so aren't feasible for me to attend). ;)

Support is awesome -- but this is also YOUR business, so you can get anything out of it that you truly WANT to get.

If your director is fading, you honestly don't want her support anyway because she may just bring you down! :eek:

You can also talk to other people in your own cluster and see about getting together with them even without your director or request a hospitality director.

advise about my director neededOkay, here's my 2 cents. First, I've been with P.C. for 16 years. I live 3 hours away from my director and there was no other consultants let alone hospitality directors in my area. I have never been to a cluster meeting. I became a director to have cluster meetings and consultants to network with. My own director was very good about newsletters the first 4 years but when she started having children the newsletter went by the wayside. We do have a wonderful relationship. I have never waited for her to call me. If I need to pick her brain or just talk, I call her. If sometimes I get her machine, she may not call me back for 2 or 3 days. If it's that important, I can always call Field Support.

Now about the "meetings and newsletter" requirement. I have always done them every month even when my mom had cancer and I was driving back and forth (2 hours) every week to take her to treatment. I could still do this because my children are now grown and I don't have another outside job. Someone in a similar situation may not have been able to do this. Maybe your director is having personal problems and she's doing the best she can at this time. A few years ago I had downline directors who I felt was not doing their job in regards to meetings and newsletters, when I called the Sales Dept. to talk about this they told me that those are "suggestions" not a requirement. And basically they could call her a remind her of her duties but they could not enforse it or terminate her for not doing those things.

I don't know what situation your director is in. Maybe a call to her upline director will help you and she may know of a reason that your director is not in communication. There are so many ways for a consultant to be successful with online training, support groups like chefsuccess, teleclasses.....The type of director that you have is not going to make you successful or not.

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox. I know that there are less than perfect directors out there but sometimes I get a little tired of hearing what I call "Director Bashing".

Karen

Very well said Karen. Remember readers ~ this advice is coming from a seasoned consultant.

Thanks Karen.

Karen Weber said:
Okay, here's my 2 cents. First, I've been with P.C. for 16 years. I live 3 hours away from my director and there was no other consultants let alone hospitality directors in my area. I have never been to a cluster meeting. I became a director to have cluster meetings and consultants to network with. My own director was very good about newsletters the first 4 years but when she started having children the newsletter went by the wayside. We do have a wonderful relationship. I have never waited for her to call me. If I need to pick her brain or just talk, I call her. If sometimes I get her machine, she may not call me back for 2 or 3 days. If it's that important, I can always call Field Support.

Now about the "meetings and newsletter" requirement. I have always done them every month even when my mom had cancer and I was driving back and forth (2 hours) every week to take her to treatment. I could still do this because my children are now grown and I don't have another outside job. Someone in a similar situation may not have been able to do this. Maybe your director is having personal problems and she's doing the best she can at this time. A few years ago I had downline directors who I felt was not doing their job in regards to meetings and newsletters, when I called the Sales Dept. to talk about this they told me that those are "suggestions" not a requirement. And basically they could call her a remind her of her duties but they could not enforse it or terminate her for not doing those things.

I don't know what situation your director is in. Maybe a call to her upline director will help you and she may know of a reason that your director is not in communication. There are so many ways for a consultant to be successful with online training, support groups like chefsuccess, teleclasses.....The type of director that you have is not going to make you successful or not.

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox. I know that there are less than perfect directors out there but sometimes I get a little tired of hearing what I call "Director Bashing".

Karen

Thank you for your response. I in no way meant for my post to be a "Director Bashing" post. As I said in the first line of my post, I debated whether or not to actually write it. I also stated that I am the type of person that needs a bit more outside influence (which I also think is good to know and see in myself instead of trying to go it alone), which I was hoping to get from my director. I was merely looking for some ideas to help me out since I'm not getting what I need from her. I have already talked to her about this and not gotten much of a response.

sfdavis918 said:
Thank you for your response. I in no way meant for my post to be a "Director Bashing" post. As I said in the first line of my post, I debated whether or not to actually write it. I also stated that I am the type of person that needs a bit more outside influence (which I also think is good to know and see in myself instead of trying to go it alone), which I was hoping to get from my director. I was merely looking for some ideas to help me out since I'm not getting what I need from her. I have already talked to her about this and not gotten much of a response.
Hi Sarah,
First of all, good for you for trying to seek out a solution to this problem!! I think PCGina had a great suggestion when she said you should let your Director know quite directly that you need more from her. I think it's great that you recognize what you need. But it sounds like you've tried to communicate this to your director and you aren't seeing any progress with that. That's really too bad. I know there are directors out there who either have HUGE teams, have family obligations, have full time jobs or are just struggling with other stuff that doesn't make them as available as they should be to each individual consultant. The best way to get your name up there in front of her face as someone who would like some "extra" focus is by letting her know you want it, but, like I said, it sounds like you did that already, right?

I guess I would say to utilize this forum for getting questions answered (VERY quickly by the way!:) everyone is so helpful!!) and post some "whoo hoo" posts for yourself when you accomplish a goal or feel you've made a good step in your business. Believe me, you'll get LOTS of pats on the back here because we all know what it's like. I love the recognition here....everyone is so supportive. But you will hopefully get to receive more from your director, in some shape or form (phone calls, recognition at cluster meetings, emails or newsletters). As many have said, even though good communication with and recognition from your director is best, you'll get a TON here. Lots here have very little contact with their directors and get much more benefit out of being here. So, I'm glad you've found us!!!!! Keep plugging away at your business!!! Good luck to you.:)

This is a very interesting thread for me... I started with PC in 1996 when I lived in southern CA. My director was in in northern CA... I signed with a friend who quit right after I qualified. My director never called me... I got a newsletter occasionally. Went to my first National Conference in 1998 with my mom because I didn't know anyone. I finally met my director at our Exec Dinner and she blew me off... told me she knew I was coming but didn't save a seat for me at her table because she "really didn't know me". It was horrible. I ended up going inactive for 13 months so I had to sign up again in 2001. I decided what I needed was a local director and got one here when I moved to MI in 2001. Within six months I was running her cluster meetings for her because she never planned them, did a newsletter, made calls or anything. At that moment I decided to become a director and promoted within the year. Now I have a team of my own and some of her team comes to my meetings because she has dropped off the face of the earth... or has been abducted by aliens. I have been in contact with my upline director who is now mentoring me and we have coaching calls weekly (she's in FL). She had no idea that my director was so out of contact with her team until I told her. I suspect in a few months, my director will be inactive. I'm sorry to say...no great loss.

When a director doesn't do her job it totally sucks... but it is what it is and we have to work with it. Here are some suggestions... get on the teleclasses and get the conference cds. Have meetings of your own with fellow consultants on your director's team (they just might feel the same way as you do) and start to build a team of your own. You aren't whining... it's frustrating but the best way to tackle that is to be proactive!

Part of the reason they changed the director requirements is to weed out the ones who aren't really working. That's pretty much how I know my director will be going inactive. She can barely maintain the $200 every other month, but I produce enough each month for her to maintain her director status... and of course, I get no recognition for that.

As far as the phone calls and meetings and newsletters... yes... that is in the director agreement. But it's like the consultant agreement... how can it be inforced? Because of the crappy experiences I have had with my directors so far, I can tell you that I bust my butt for my team... I do TONS of recognition weekly on my e-mails and each month at our TEAM training. My consultants call me all the time and know they can call me. Instead of being bummed over what I didn't have and wasn't getting, I decided to be the director I would want to have. And I'm proud to say that I am. I have a few hospitality consultants and it breaks my heart a little when they tell me that they wish I were their director... what can you do?

I hope this helps a little... Good luck and remember... you have your cyber cluster right here to support you!!!!!

Well said
finley1991 said:
This is a very interesting thread for me... I started with PC in 1996 when I lived in southern CA. My director was in in northern CA... I signed with a friend who quit right after I qualified. My director never called me... I got a newsletter occasionally. Went to my first National Conference in 1998 with my mom because I didn't know anyone. I finally met my director at our Exec Dinner and she blew me off... told me she knew I was coming but didn't save a seat for me at her table because she "really didn't know me". It was horrible. I ended up going inactive for 13 months so I had to sign up again in 2001. I decided what I needed was a local director and got one here when I moved to MI in 2001. Within six months I was running her cluster meetings for her because she never planned them, did a newsletter, made calls or anything. At that moment I decided to become a director and promoted within the year. Now I have a team of my own and some of her team comes to my meetings because she has dropped off the face of the earth... or has been abducted by aliens. I have been in contact with my upline director who is now mentoring me and we have coaching calls weekly (she's in FL). She had no idea that my director was so out of contact with her team until I told her. I suspect in a few months, my director will be inactive. I'm sorry to say...no great loss.

When a director doesn't do her job it totally sucks... but it is what it is and we have to work with it. Here are some suggestions... get on the teleclasses and get the conference cds. Have meetings of your own with fellow consultants on your director's team (they just might feel the same way as you do) and start to build a team of your own. You aren't whining... it's frustrating but the best way to tackle that is to be proactive!

Part of the reason they changed the director requirements is to weed out the ones who aren't really working. That's pretty much how I know my director will be going inactive. She can barely maintain the $200 every other month, but I produce enough each month for her to maintain her director status... and of course, I get no recognition for that.

As far as the phone calls and meetings and newsletters... yes... that is in the director agreement. But it's like the consultant agreement... how can it be inforced? Because of the crappy experiences I have had with my directors so far, I can tell you that I bust my butt for my team... I do TONS of recognition weekly on my e-mails and each month at our TEAM training. My consultants call me all the time and know they can call me. Instead of being bummed over what I didn't have and wasn't getting, I decided to be the director I would want to have. And I'm proud to say that I am. I have a few hospitality consultants and it breaks my heart a little when they tell me that they wish I were their director... what can you do?

I hope this helps a little... Good luck and remember... you have your cyber cluster right here to support you!!!!!

I think this was well said from someone who has personally got through it. I in no way want to have a "director bashing" thread but some directors need to be more involved with those they recruit or join their team. Being a director really does come with a responsibility to be a team leader. If that's something you don't want to do, or don't have time for, then don't recruit. Don't build a team only to let them down. And I don't mean everyone should be 100% dependent on a director for everything, but some newbies really need more advice on things than others.
And yes I agree we are all humans and have emotional trials and ups and downs in this life, but it needs to be communicated. My director is great at keeping us updated with what is going on in her life, and we do the same with her. She lets us know when it will be very busy for her and when she is available to talk. She gives us her home number, cell phone, email and of course our monthly cluster meetings. She is very friendly and understands the importance of acknowledging those who make the sales to keep her where she is at. We get recognition, support, encouragement and lots of help from her to make our businesses grow. That is what a director should be. Some people, like myself, don't need a director to make my business successful, especially because this is a hobby for me but not everyone is like that. I enjoy knowing my director as a friend. Some people need more guidance and everyone needs a little encouragement and recognition now and then.

That's just my two cents.
Debbie :D

I haven't read any "director bashing" in this thread. Facts are facts, not bashing.

1. Why is my director not keeping in touch with me?

There could be a variety of reasons for this. It's possible that your director is busy with other responsibilities or personal issues. It's also possible that they are simply not good at communication and keeping in touch with their team members. It may be helpful to have an open and honest conversation with your director to express your concerns and find out the reason for their lack of communication.

2. How can I address my concerns with my director?

You can schedule a meeting with your director to discuss your concerns. It's important to approach the conversation in a calm and respectful manner. Be specific about your concerns and provide examples. This will help your director understand the impact of their actions on you and your work.

3. What can I do if my director is not listening to my concerns?

If your director is not receptive to your concerns, you may want to consider speaking with someone higher up in the organization, such as a supervisor or HR representative. It's important to have support and feel valued in your workplace, so don't hesitate to seek help if needed.

4. How can I stay motivated without a director?

Without the guidance and support of a director, it can be challenging to stay motivated. One suggestion is to set goals for yourself and keep yourself accountable. You can also seek support from your colleagues and other resources, such as online communities or workshops, to continue growing and learning in your role.

5. Is it common for directors to lose motivation after being in the role for a long time?

It is not uncommon for individuals in any position to experience burnout or loss of motivation after being in the role for a long time. It's important for directors to regularly reassess their goals and find ways to stay inspired and engaged in their work. However, if this is impacting their ability to effectively lead and support their team, it may be necessary to address the issue with them or higher-ups in the organization.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
batroark
  • JackieB999
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • almondfarm