• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Is Your Most Bizarre/Strange/Weird Present You Have Ever Gotten?

In summary, my ex-fiance gave me a Valentine pillow with hearts and XO's on it, my MIL gave me a peach colored jogging suit, my hubby gave me hubcaps, and my sister got me an english muffin maker from the dollar general. My sister also gave me tablecloths every year, my DH got me a gas cap, and his parents got him a garbage disposal for our kitchen sink. My DH wrapped up four packs of computer paper for me, which I thought was not fair.
jrstephens
I thought this would be fun to share.

I have never really gotten anything totally bizarre, at least no recently. Everyone knows I LOVE gifts and I think they are afraid to give me a bad one, HA!! Or at least that is what my mom says! HA!

My EX-fiance once gave me a Valentine Pillow from Avon with hearts and red XO's on it that held a picture of us! I was so MADE at that cheesy gift! We were in our mid-20s not mid-teens when stuff like that was cute b/c we did not know any better.:mad:

My MIL gave me a Peach colored jogging suit one year. :yuck:The whole 3 piece suit of pants, stripped undershirt and jacket. I do not think I have EVER worn peach and still haven't!!

The year I started my PC biz, my sister got me an english muffin maker from the dollar general. Left the price tag and all on it. That was for my birthday. For Christmas, she drew my name and gave me a Nascar Case knife. What in the world am I going to do with a Case knife?! And I"m not a nascar fan!

Now the strangest gift my hubby ever got was a nighty (really cute too; and my size) from Frederick's of hollywood... Don't know who it came from but we used it in a dirty santa game with my family. It was pretty funny.

My husband gave me hubcaps one Christmas, the cheap plastic kind. I asked him why, and he said because I needed them. I told him we needed cereal, too but I did not wrap up a box of Wheaties, and out it under the tree. That is why I offer to shop PC for husbands- I am saving marriages, 1 spatula at a time.

The year my husband and I got married he had been wanting to get a cool mist humidifier...he mentioned it for a few months and I kept pushing him off telling him I didn't think we needed one, etc. On Chirstmas morning when I opened up my gift from him, guess what it was??? A DEEP MIST HUMIDIFIER!!! :mad:

I once received a friend's head x-rays. It was at a white elephant exchange. I've put them under the tree every year since. I like to tease her that I now have proof that she has no brain. LOL!

One year, my DH got me a gas cap. I'd lost mine a couple of times - so he thought I'd need it. :rolleyes:

But that's okay - because the same year, his parents got him a garbage disposal for our kitchen sink. He was NOT happy about that! They got it for him, because his mom had been after him to put one in. She couldn't believe that with as much as I cook, we didn't have one. I wanted one, but he didn't think it was necessary. So they got him one for Christmas!:D
It sat in our basement for 6 years before he installed it!

Ask him, and he'll tell you he doesn't hold a grudge!:rolleyes::p:D

Last year MIL gave me two tablecloths. No reason, didn't really need them. Just tablecloths. Not very nice ones either. And since we draw names from a hat and only buy for one adult each on DH's side of the family (so that we can all concentrate more on the kids), that was the ONLY gift I got from his entire family. Tablecloths. Still irritated by that...I know it's the thought that counts, but sometimes I feel like there's not even a single thought involved...

I have rec'd so many bad ones, I could go on all day long. Do people not know me at all and how shallow I am?? ha ha :)

I was telling this thread to one of my girlfriends and she told me about a time when she was married to her ex that her father in law got her a nightie from Victoria's Secret! :eek:

The year I was pregnant with my DD (my first child), my DH wrapped up FOUR packs of computer paper -- separately. I was all excited when I saw I got four things, then I was ready to kill him by the time I got through the last one! I think I actually started crying (being all hormonal) because I had put a lot of thought into his gifts, and he got me PAPER! We opened our presents to each other on Christmas Eve that year, and I remember thinking it was so not fair. That was the first time I was able to get him to feel the baby move, and I thought it was rediculously unfair that he got that as a bonus gift!

all i can say is that when i am a grandmother, i will ask my children and/or grandchildren for a LIST before i go christmas shopping. because it is always so awkward to pretend to love everything my grandmother gets me every year. not only that, but i hope that when i am older, i will remember that i never use anything that she gets me & it makes me feel bad that she spends her money on things that just sit or get sent to goodwill. & i wont want my money to go to waste on useless presents.

thecougchef said:
all i can say is that when i am a grandmother, i will ask my children and/or grandchildren for a LIST before i go christmas shopping. because it is always so awkward to pretend to love everything my grandmother gets me every year. not only that, but i hope that when i am older, i will remember that i never use anything that she gets me & it makes me feel bad that she spends her money on things that just sit or get sent to goodwill. & i wont want my money to go to waste on useless presents.

I know exactly what you mean. My in-laws think it's not nice when I ask people in the family outright what they want...they say it takes away from the surprise at Christmas. But we're on a very tight budget every single year, and I'd rather know that something I buy is going to be appreciated, wanted, and used, and not just gathering dust six months later in a storage unit. :)

raebates said:
I once received a friend's head x-rays. It was at a white elephant exchange. I've put them under the tree every year since. I like to tease her that I now have proof that she has no brain. LOL!

What's a White Elephant Exchange??

I've never received anything overly bizarre, but my husband is terrible at gift giving especially for my birthday. Last year for Christmas, he did awesome actually for the first time. He got me a laptop and early because I joined PC in November last year. It was actually really thoughtful and helpful at the right time. I didn't even have a desktop, I'd planned on using my brothers till I had the money for my own computer. Oops sorry we are talking about bad presents.

There are only 2 that stick out, on my 21st birthday, my husband (then just my bf) gave me these gloves my grandmother might wear but I'd never pick out. And on my 23rd birthday he gave me one of those tubes filled with water and plastic fish that lights up!:(. After I knew that was something he wanted but was not my cup of tea or what I'd want for a gift. Then another bday year I got some Simpsons game. I don't even watch the SImpsons much. I call it my Homer Bowling Ball. He's gotten much better. Though this year he keeps asking what I want. So I plan on giving him several options so that I can get what I want but still be surprised.

mrssyvo said:
My husband gave me hubcaps one Christmas, the cheap plastic kind. I asked him why, and he said because I needed them. I told him we needed cereal, too but I did not wrap up a box of Wheaties, and out it under the tree. That is why I offer to shop PC for husbands- I am saving marriages, 1 spatula at a time.

Sue, this is still the funniest story I ever heard, and after hearing it from you a few times before, it still makes me laugh!

Thank you! :love:

We also do a White Elephant exchange. It is soooo much fun.

Anyway, the strangest thing I have ever received was 2 years ago from my DS & DIL. They were (got rid of them!) pink slippers that when you turned them on, they vibrated! There was no way you could walk in them, they were not warm, they just v i b r a t e d. What were they thinking???????

My ex husband one year gave me this size X-Large ( I am 95lbs 5ft) ugly grey t-shirt from Walmart that was wrapped in the walmart bag. He said since I was always cold he thought it would keep me warm. That was all I got and DS and I had given him all these nice gifts. Come to find out, he spent all his money on his mistress, she got a new TV and stereo system.
My uncle one year when I was a kid gave me a Farrah Fawcett doll. The funniest is my uncle who was very artsy ( he passed away since) but he made these sculptures called "man" & "woman"
The were rusted pieces of metal stuck in old coffee cans filled with concrete and man had a broken beer bottle for a ( well, ya know... his man part) and woman had 2 beer bottle caps for boobies and some lace draped around where her woohoo would be.
Try trying to fake happiness on that one........
This is why I suggest we write down 3 ideas. Why buy people crap they don't want and will never use. I would rather take a $5 Target gift card then a rusty ol man and woman that I may have to get a tetnus shot for after I caryy them home.

kcmckay said:
What's a White Elephant Exchange??
Generally a White Elephant Exchange is when you bring items from your own home instead of purchasing something. It's a great way to get rid of things that just aren't your own taste, but might be good for someone else. We say to bring something that's "no longer of use in your own home, but could possibly be of use to someone else."We do this in conjunction with our cookie exchange. This same friend once brought a man. It was one of those vacuum covers that looks like a butler. A married friend took it home. We teased her for a long time about picking up a man at the cookie exchange. But, my favorite thing that this friend ever brought was all of her unmatched socks. Her reasoning was that the mates weren't at her home; maybe they had migrated to yours. If not, they could be used for dusting. :rolleyes:

merego said:
My ex husband one year gave me this size X-Large ( I am 95lbs 5ft) ugly grey t-shirt from Walmart that was wrapped in the walmart bag. He said since I was always cold he thought it would keep me warm. That was all I got and DS and I had given him all these nice gifts. Come to find out, he spent all his money on his mistress, she got a new TV and stereo system.
My uncle one year when I was a kid gave me a Farrah Fawcett doll. The funniest is my uncle who was very artsy ( he passed away since) but he made these sculptures called "man" & "woman"
The were rusted pieces of metal stuck in old coffee cans filled with concrete and man had a broken beer bottle for a ( well, ya know... his man part) and woman had 2 beer bottle caps for boobies and some lace draped around where her woohoo would be.
Try trying to fake happiness on that one........
This is why I suggest we write down 3 ideas. Why buy people crap they don't want and will never use. I would rather take a $5 Target gift card then a rusty ol man and woman that I may have to get a tetnus shot for after I caryy them home.

OMG!!!! I am ROFL!!! I do not know which is funnier the comment about the mistress or the beer bottle people!!!!!!

merego said:
...........The funniest is my uncle who was very artsy ( he passed away since) but he made these sculptures called "man" & "woman"
Try trying to fake happiness on that one..............

My dad would have loved those!

I don't think I could have faked happiness with that.

jrstephens said:
OMG!!!! I am ROFL!!! I do not know which is funnier the comment about the mistress or the beer bottle people!!!!!!

we laugh about "man and woman" every year. I could go on, I get some winner gifts year after year, I could write a book :) I can also now laugh about the mistress because better her than me~ she got her man and she can keep him!!!!

jrstephens said:
I thought this would be fun to share.

I have never really gotten anything totally bizarre, at least no recently. Everyone knows I LOVE gifts and I think they are afraid to give me a bad one, HA!! Or at least that is what my mom says! HA!

My EX-fiance once gave me a Valentine Pillow from Avon with hearts and red XO's on it that held a picture of us! I was so MADE at that cheesy gift! We were in our mid-20s not mid-teens when stuff like that was cute b/c we did not know any better.:mad:

My MIL gave me a Peach colored jogging suit one year. :yuck:The whole 3 piece suit of pants, stripped undershirt and jacket. I do not think I have EVER worn peach and still haven't!!

What??? every girl needs a peach colored jogging suit~ha ha:yuck::yuck:

If we're talking worst gift, that would have come from my ex-husband. He got me this blown glass swan filled with green water. I'm sure it would fit well with someone's decor, but it was definitely not me. It was the last of a long line of really bad gift choices on his part. I'm convinced that he simply shopped until the end of his very short patience, then bought the first thing that caught his eye.On the other hand, The Furry Guy is great at gift selection. His family has always made wish lists. He has often taken an item from my wish list and taken it an extra step. Case in point: one year (long before I knew about PC) I had a wooden cutting board on my list. He bought an old butcher block at an auction. He took it to a body shop that was owned by a friend, ground the block down to new wood, then sanded and oiled it. (He had asked at a local kitchen store what kind of oil to use.) It's still beautiful.

Maybe all these bad gifts from ex-husbands /boyfriends/fiances taught the current ones they better give good!! HAHA!!!:D:eek::D

Russell has never given me a bad gift, but then my mom swears that he is too scared to try it!!! :rolleyes:Plus, I am great at suggestions. I have given so many this year that he is covered for my birthday in January and our anniversary in April, HAHA!! He will go the extra mile on them too - like if I suggest one thing and there is a better version he will upgrade it. I had to tell him to NOT do that on the TomTom I picked out b/c I had researched like crazy to make sure which model had what I want! HA!!!

pamperedlinda said:
My dad would have loved those!

I don't think I could have faked happiness with that.

Girl, it was so hard, trying to act hapy and not pee my pants laughing at the same time. I think we were all in shock at first. I will have to ask my mom if we have any pictures of "man and woman". For all I know they could be worth millions :) With all the crap I get, I have gotten good at faking it :);)
I would rather people donate to a charity in my name other than give me crap after crap after crap.. year after year after year.....

jrstephens said:
Maybe all these bad gifts from ex-husbands /boyfriends/fiances taught the current ones they better give good!! HAHA!!!:D:eek::D

Russell has never given me a bad gift, but then my mom swears that he is too scared to try it!!! :rolleyes:Plus, I am great at suggestions. I have given so many this year that he is covered for my birthday in January and our anniversary in April, HAHA!! He will go the extra mile on them too - like if I suggest one thing and there is a better version he will upgrade it. I had to tell him to NOT do that on the TomTom I picked out b/c I had researched like crazy to make sure which model had what I want! HA!!!

I tell Clint what to buy, he knows better:)

Oh my! yOU are cracking me up. Too funny!
mrssyvo said:

Yall are cracking me up. I'm crying! I haven't had very many bag gifts except for every year my inlaws get me a butt ugly 2 sizes too big sweater. You show no curves and no cleavage at all in these. Now, I'm not a hoochie momma, but I do like to wear stuff for my age. Most of the time it's a turtle neck that looks like something a 68 year old lady would wear. My ex sis inlaw and me would of course wear them one time over to their house and then laugh about it. Last year I got a butt ugly track suit. It was so long in the crotch. I don't wear my pants hiked up to my boobs and that's the only way this 5'1 girl could wear it. My DH knows they have sucky taste and he always aggs it on saying, " oh how cute, go try it on for us". In which his mom goes "it fits!" and i'm like, "yeah". 3 days later I cowar over to them to get the receipt to take it back and get another size (yeah right). Now, DH, he gets some real winner gifts from his parents. They got him and his brother a heater for their car to preheat their car. Ok first off, they both have excellent heaters and secondly they both have a truck. It takes about 2 minutes to get hot in there. They made such fun of those heaters that year. His mom and dad had no clue.

my ex-mil would give me these tacky pins every year. She was a hairstylist and her little old ladies would give them to her and she would in turn give them to me. And yes, she told me she was regifting them to me. EVERY year.

She also would buy my ex a carton of cigarettes.

Every year we, the women in The Furry Guy's family, receive cheap hand lotion from his mom that we then spend the rest of the day trying to pawn off on one another. Well, the attempts stopped two years ago when The Furry Guy discovered that it worked well on his hemorrhoids. (I know--TMI!) We each have wonderful lotions on our lists, which she purchases for us, but she still gives us those cheap, ineffective little lotions. At least now The Furry Guy's tushie is healthy.

raebates said:
Every year we, the women in The Furry Guy's family, receive cheap hand lotion from his mom that we then spend the rest of the day trying to pawn off on one another. Well, the attempts stopped two years ago when The Furry Guy discovered that it worked well on his hemorrhoids. (I know--TMI!) We each have wonderful lotions on our lists, which she purchases for us, but she still gives us those cheap, ineffective little lotions. At least now The Furry Guy's tushie is healthy.

I cried when I read this story...that's how funny I think the furry guy's butt is! OMG!! Thanks, just what I needed tonight!

raebates said:

Dang, I could have used that lotion when I was pregnant!! HAHA!!!:D

pamperedtraci said:
I cried when I read this story...that's how funny I think the furry guy's butt is! OMG!! Thanks, just what I needed tonight!

The Furry Guy will be pleased that you find his butt so funny. Frankly, around here we just tell him it's stinky. :yuck:

Glad I could give you a laugh. It takes some people decades to find their true purpose in life. I found mine early--comic relief. :balloon:

When we got married (keep in mind we were in our early 20's), someone gave us a porcelain carousel horse cookie jar. We also got a set of USED towels....I guess it's the thought that counted???

When my husband and I got married his aunt gave us 1 towel (so thin you could see through it, not to mention the fact that it was so small it would have barely covered a big toe), 1 wash cloth and a bar, yes a bar of Ivory soap. I am still not sure what she was trying to say with that gift.

I can't remember too many 'bad' gifts - just years when I didn't get what I really wanted.

However, two stick out in my mind. My 21st birthday my boyfriend, whom I had dated for a whole week, bought me a bottle of Chanel #5. While this would be a wonderful gift for many women, I'm allergic to perfume. However, 22 years of marriage later, I must say he's gotten pretty good!! Well, except the year we were totally broke, so agreed to not buy presents for each other, only for the family. I stuck to the bargain, and woke up to about 10 gifts from him!!! All wrapped in the funny papers! I was so upset, I couldn't even appreciate the presents.

The other 'bad' gift was from my sister. She had come to Jesus a couple of years before, and was/is quite the fanatic (please note, I have since grown in my own relationship with our Savior, and am just as fanatic now, so I'm not putting anyone down). Well, she bought everyone - Christian or not - books from her church's bookstore. When our older sister and I made it known we didn't find this particularly personal, she said she had bought a bunch of books - then read them to see who they best suited!! Now that I think about it, it sort of was like a White Elephant!!

pkd09 said:
We also do a White Elephant exchange. It is soooo much fun.

Anyway, the strangest thing I have ever received was 2 years ago from my DS & DIL. They were (got rid of them!) pink slippers that when you turned them on, they vibrated! There was no way you could walk in them, they were not warm, they just v i b r a t e d. What were they thinking???????

Unfortunately for me...I can top this...you got vibrating slippers from your son and daughter-in-law...I got a ******** from my sister and her husband!!!:eek: They thought it would be funny and comical since I was single at the time. I was FURIOUS!!!!

Thinking of the re-gifting thread...wonder if anyone else would like that? LOL...no, I didn't keep it...straight to the dump it went!!

I didn't get it.. but the funniest gift I can remember... we went to my ex's office party. We all had a good evening and lots of spirits to get everyone in the mood. We started the white elephant gift exchange towards the end of the evening. One couple brought an old piano as their white elephant gift. Yes a piano. They had it outside on a trailer ready to follow whom ever home and deliver it. They had tried for months to give it away and could not sell it at their garage sale for 5.00. The person who "Won" the piano was furious. We all were rolling. A little office drama for sure. And when it was time to go home.. They were there and followed them home to deliver their real "treasure". We all cried form laughing so hard.
Another great White Elephant gift I did receive was a guy's wedding 8x10 picture.. we all roared getting that too.
White Elephant gifts are traditionally something you don't need nor want anymore. Bold to give away the picture. He was divorced.

I was 7 months pregnant and my DH bought me a Jane Fonda stepper - I refused to take it out of the box. But better then when my MIL bought bought my BIL a toilet seat for his Christmas present. She thought he needed one. Can you imagine?

A couple of years ago my BIL and his wife gave us a stocking with home made stale cookies in it for Christmas. Now when I say stale I mean STALE and had been for a long time, they had even turned a funky color. My DH was horrified!

Some years ago at a staff Christmas party my former boss gave one of my coworkers a vibrator:eek: for a secret Santa gift. When he gave it to her he just said he was sorry he forgot to buy the batteries. I told her not to open it because there was about 200 people there and everyone was watching. Well she did, she took it out of the box and took it over to his wife. I almost died!!

gingertannery said:
I didn't get it.. but the funniest gift I can remember... we went to my ex's office party. We all had a good evening and lots of spirits to get everyone in the mood. We started the white elephant gift exchange towards the end of the evening. One couple brought an old piano as their white elephant gift. Yes a piano. They had it outside on a trailer ready to follow whom ever home and deliver it. They had tried for months to give it away and could not sell it at their garage sale for 5.00. The person who "Won" the piano was furious. We all were rolling. A little office drama for sure. And when it was time to go home.. They were there and followed them home to deliver their real "treasure". We all cried form laughing so hard.
Another great White Elephant gift I did receive was a guy's wedding 8x10 picture.. we all roared getting that too.
White Elephant gifts are traditionally something you don't need nor want anymore. Bold to give away the picture. He was divorced.

this just cracks me up!!!! A piano!!!!:D:D

pampered.chris said:
Unfortunately for me...I can top this...you got vibrating slippers from your son and daughter-in-law...I got a ******** from my sister and her husband!!!:eek: They thought it would be funny and comical since I was single at the time. I was FURIOUS!!!!

Thinking of the re-gifting thread...wonder if anyone else would like that? LOL...no, I didn't keep it...straight to the dump it went!!

That is too freaking funny, I just spit hot chocolate out my nose!!!!!

rennea said:
Some years ago at a staff Christmas party my former boss gave one of my coworkers a vibrator:eek: for a secret Santa gift. When he gave it to her he just said he was sorry he forgot to buy the batteries. I told her not to open it because there was about 200 people there and everyone was watching. Well she did, she took it out of the box and took it over to his wife. I almost died!!

That is so funny that she gave it to his wife, ha!:D

sklay723 said:
Last year MIL gave me two tablecloths. No reason, didn't really need them. Just tablecloths. Not very nice ones either. And since we draw names from a hat and only buy for one adult each on DH's side of the family (so that we can all concentrate more on the kids), that was the ONLY gift I got from his entire family. Tablecloths. Still irritated by that...I know it's the thought that counts, but sometimes I feel like there's not even a single thought involved...

My MIL got me Pampered Chef one year! (She didn't buy it from me). She got me the Grapefruit knife. Nevermind that I hate grapefruit and already had one anyway. She also got my husband one. Yeah, we need two in the same household. She then gave him and his sister one present-a volleyball-to share. Psycho! The next year she gave her daughter's DH Pampered Chef-expensive stuff too! I think there was a lot of thought in that, and I think it was definitely to be rude.

I was 15 and my grandma bought me a pink flamingo plant stick. You know - the kind that is on a long stick and you can stick them down in to a plant?!?!

Just what I wanted!!!!! Don't all teenage girls need one of those?

Related to What Is Your Most Bizarre/Strange/Weird Present You Have Ever Gotten?

1. What is the most bizarre present you have ever received?

I have to say, I've been pretty lucky with gifts and have never received anything too bizarre. However, one year my ex-fiance gave me a Valentine pillow from Avon with hearts and red XO's on it that held a picture of us. I was not a fan of the cheesy gift, especially since we were in our mid-20s at the time.

2. Have you ever received a strange present from someone?

I wouldn't necessarily say strange, but my mother-in-law once gave me a peach colored jogging suit as a gift. It was a full set with pants, a striped undershirt, and a jacket. I have never been a fan of the color peach and have yet to wear the suit.

3. What is the weirdest gift you have ever gotten?

Honestly, I can't think of anything too weird that I have received. I tend to love all gifts, so maybe my family and friends are afraid to give me something bizarre. My mom always jokes that I love gifts too much and they can't risk giving me a bad one.

4. Do you have a favorite bizarre present that stands out in your memory?

I wouldn't say it's a favorite, but the most bizarre present I can remember receiving was the Avon Valentine pillow from my ex-fiance. It definitely stands out in my memory as a gift that I was not too thrilled about.

5. Has anyone ever given you a really strange or unusual gift?

No, not really. As I mentioned before, I think my loved ones know me well enough to not give me something too strange or unusual. I tend to appreciate all gifts, no matter how bizarre they may seem to others.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
starrmarie
Back