• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

USG vs Mandoline: Which Is More Popular?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the comparison between the USG and the new Mandoline. Many users prefer the Mandoline for its safety features, while others still prefer the USG for its ease of use. Several users also mention their love for the USG and their desire to try out the Mandoline. There are also multiple users named Jennifer participating in the conversation. Some users also mention difficulties with using the Mandoline and recommend watching the training video for better understanding. Overall, opinions are divided between the two tools but there is excitement for the new design of the Mandoline.

Which do you prefer?

• Ultimate Slice and Grate

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Ultimate Mandoline

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • Both

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
jrstephens
USG vs. Mandoline PollIf I am successful I am posting this with a poll to see the results in numbers.

Last edited:
I was pretty scared of the USG, but have no fear of the Mandoline. I love it!! Very easy to use!

Hello , Nice to meet you..Your name caught my eye..I am Now Jennifer Avila but I used to be Jennifer Stephens before I married...that is really unusual to see that spelled with a "PH" anyway...thanks for the post...I haven't used the new item as of yet..I am going to order from the samples order form this week. then I can do the poll..I have the usg and I love it but don't have a comparison as of yet..sorry..Jennifer A.

How cool. Only Jennifers have responded in type to this post!

I alos dont have the new mandoline but I absolutly love the USG I think I will have a hard time paying for the new mandoline when I already own the USG
(I just had to post to put another Jennifer in, my real name)

Jennifer undoubtedly is a very common name or was with our generations anyway!:D

Isn't that the truth!! I went to a very small school, and I still had 4 or 5 Jennifer's in my class. Then, at the last job I had there were about 10 of us!!

when I was growing up my best friend was Jennifer

I Love my USG but Idont' have a mandolin yet ... so I can't tell you which one I like better yet!!!

The USG scares me. LOL. I bought it 6 years ago and my husband LOVES it. I love the way it slices, but didn't love the time it sliced my finger. LOL. So I can't wait to get the Mandoline!

I hate the USG - sliced the tip of my thumb off (wasn't using guard so I know it's my fault) before I became a consultant. Then I NEVER used it again until a Host requested I bring it & demo it. I was terrified! Still don't like it.

New Mandoline - just used it yesterday for zuchinni. Couldn't figure out half the blades - so I wanted to watch the video, get more instruction. I watched my Hospitality Director try to use it for a tomato at a show and it smushed it! I do like how the guard with the little "pop-up" plunger works.

Joanne

I've said it elsewhere.... the new Ultimate Mandoline for the win! \o/ (those are upraised arms in victory, by the way ;))

I've been using it almost daily around here. Jicama, kohlrabi, cucumbers, daikon... I've been experimenting with the blades and just disovered that slicing the jicama, cucumbers, daikon, and kohlrabi with the crinkle cutter makes for GREAT veggie dippers! I am SO thrilled with the redesign. I'm likely going to be showing it at LOTS of shows in the future.

I borrowed the mandoline from a fellow consultant for my show on Friday and I couldn't get the thing to work to save my life!! I tried a cuke with the adjustable blade and then the v-shaped blade - nothing! I ended up using the new paring knife - LOVED IT... I will definately be getting all of the new knives!!!

I have the USG and I hope to be able to buy my samples this month, the new UM included. I love the USG, and I never really used it until this year, even though I have had it for YEARS!!! Now I use it every chance I get. My last show I brought the USG and I sold two of the UM's anyway!! I am sure that I will love the new one when I get it, but for now, I love what I have.

BTW, I am a Jennifer, too... I go by Jaye, due to being called by my initials in elem school b/c there was so many Jennifer's... over the years instead of initials, it was just J.... then, my mom and friends turned it into a name... Jaye!!!

Enjoy your tools!!

Jaye

Just an FYIIf you are having a hard time using the Ultimate Madoline. Check out the training video on consultants corner. It helps! I used mine before checking this out and went back to using the USG. Now that I watched that and know how to use it properly, I love the Madoline!

I like my UM BUT I love the usg so much better. I do agree that the UM is way safer but to me the usg seems so much easier to use.

Related to USG vs Mandoline: Which Is More Popular?

1. What is the main difference between a USG and a mandoline?

The main difference between a USG (Ultimate Slice and Grate) and a mandoline is the way they slice and grate food. A USG uses a customizable grid to slice food into multiple thicknesses and grate in various sizes, while a mandoline has a fixed blade and is designed for precise, thin slicing.

2. Which one is more versatile for different types of food?

Both the USG and mandoline can slice and grate a variety of foods, but the mandoline is generally more versatile. It can handle softer foods, such as fruits and vegetables, and also tougher items like cheese and meat.

3. Are there any safety concerns with using a USG or mandoline?

Both the USG and mandoline can be dangerous if not used properly. It's important to always use the safety guard included with the tool and to follow the instructions for use carefully. Additionally, it's important to keep fingers and hands away from the blades at all times.

4. Which one is more popular among home cooks?

This can vary depending on personal preference, but in general, the mandoline is more popular among home cooks. It's a versatile tool that can be used for a variety of slicing and grating tasks, making it a valuable addition to any kitchen.

5. Can you use both a USG and mandoline for the same tasks?

Yes, in some cases, both a USG and mandoline can be used for the same tasks. However, the USG is better for tasks that require thicker slices or grates, while the mandoline is better for precise, thin slices. It ultimately depends on the specific food and desired outcome.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Cindycooks
  • emiscookin
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • avelissar
  • Products and Tips
Replies