• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Understanding Common Acronyms and Abbreviations for Online Communication

In summary, PaulaDH says that she loves the cell phone commercial where the little girl gets in trouble for texting her "BFF Jill" too much. She says that her kids explained to her that WTF means "What in the world?" and OMG means "Oh my god."
chef_kimmo
Gold Member
(Sorry if this has already been asked!) :eek:

Ok, I hate to ask a question where people read along and they know what all this means and I did a search a while back to see if I could find this in case there was a thread on this already but maybe used the wrong search criteria.

Here is my silly question of the day....

Help me on some of these acronyms, please. Sometimes I read along and I just know it other times I am completely lost. You should see what rolls through this brain when I don't know one. I am going to start with ones I know or question and was hoping people could add to it:

RUFTH - Round Up From The Heart
EAD - Easy Accent Decorator
SA - Simple Additions
DDB - Deep Dish Baker
LOL - Laugh Out Loud
ROTFL - Rolling on the Floor Laughing
ROTFLMAO - Rolling on the Floor Laughing my A$$ off
TTFN - Ta ta for now
TTYL - Talk to you later

Questions: :D
DH - Dear heart, Dumb head, Dear Husband, Dirty Hair???
DD - Dear Dad, Dear Daughter, Dirty Dog???
KWIM - (this always gets me and I am at a lost for ideas - it is too close to my name but I know it is an acronym) :eek:

I know there are more that I know & don't know but this is getting long - please help me know what y'all are saying and add to the list.

Thanks

Hi, Kim!

As you get them, just post and people will be happy to explain them, is probably the best thing.
Those you asked about....

dd=dear Daughter
dh=dear Husband, though some of the other choices may occasionally "fit"! lol

lol=laugh out loud
kwim=know what I mean?

I hope that helps you for now!!
Paula

DH - Dear Husband, or whatever adjective is appropriate at the time!;)
DD - most often Dear Daughter, as opposed to DS for Dear Son
KWIM - Know What I Mean?

And I KWYM :)D ) when I first started perusing chat rooms etc....It took me FOREVER to figure out what LOL meant!

ok, the one that has me puzzled and I've asked my kids!
WTF?

Teresa Lynn said:
WTF?

It means "What the [expletive deleted]?"

ok! that would explain why it didn't register.
Thanks!

Teresa Lynn said:
WTF?
That cracks me up that you asked your kids and I wondered if they knew! It's not a very nice one, but in lots of circumstances it seems to fit perfectly.

I just have to say that I LOVE the cell commercial of the little girl getting in trouble for texting her "BFF Jill" too much by her mom... she says sooo many acronyms throughout the commercial, it cracks me up! Good thing they are translated and captioned on the screen!http://www.youtube.com/p.swf?video_id=4nIUcRJX9-o&eurl=http%3A//www.google.com/search%3Fq%3D%2522idk%2Bmy%2Bbff%2Bjill%2522%26ie%3Dutf-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%26aq%3Dt%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla%3Aen&iurl=http%3A//img.youtube.com/vi/4nIUcRJX9-o/2.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskKRvTz3Mvv1r7722gyo729v

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better, I know dozens of young people who would never, on pain of death, actually use the expletive that I deleted. However, they use WTF in their text messages or online postings all the time. It basically translates to "What in the world?!" in their heads.

My DS, a devout Christian currently in school to become a missionary. and his equally clean-mouthed friends explained this quirk of thinking to me when I expressed concern over their use of the abbreviation.

I love that commercial too! I text another consultant and a couple friends occassionally but my acronyms are aweful. It makes me laugh because if someone sent me some of that I would have to call for translations.

It took me a little while to know the EAD and some other PC acronyms but when I get them I totally understand.

raebates said:
If it makes you feel any better, I know dozens of young people who would never, on pain of death, actually use the expletive that I deleted. However, they use WTF in their text messages or online postings all the time. It basically translates to "What in the world?!" in their heads.

My DS, a devout Christian currently in school to become a missionary. and his equally clean-mouthed friends explained this quirk of thinking to me when I expressed concern over their use of the abbreviation.

That is so true! I barely ever swear, but when I am typing, WTF is just another "OMG" ....but you don't really mean it....if it makes sense! ...it just takes OMG to the next level.... like LOL and LMAO (laugh my *** off)

I'm pretty naive, but I think when I ask them (at different times when it has been posted) they were clueless (they are 14, 17 & 19) It wouldn't be tolerated for them to say it but I think if they knew they would have explained it like Rae did.... (& teased me about being old in the process)

It's not a word we use so I never did plug it into my feeble brain, course I never got the first part (WT) either!! or I might have been able to finish the phrase on my own without posting my ignorance!!

It is nice to hear that those aren't being thought of as bad. In my world of oil field people and I used to work for a rail road company - the cuss words come to easily.

I am leary of using OMG even though it could be Oh My Goodness rather than what comes to my mind immediately. I worry that is what other's think.

We have WNF at our church (Wed. night fellowship) but that was as close as I could get to figuring it out!!

Teresa, no ignorance on this. I know that there has to be others who have had to wondered about some of these. I figured what could it hurt.

Some of the ones I didn't know like DH seems logical but maybe I didn't get them because it was too logical.

Teresa Lynn said:
We have WNF at our church (Wed. night fellowship) but that was as close as I could get to figuring it out!!

Okay, since I've been doing the texting and myspace stuff for a while, seeing WNF in a church bulletin or calendar would have made me chuckle.

Rae, why can't I think of what you were think of for WNF? Sometimes I can figure these out but I can't get all letters on this one without what she already gave us. (I would make the F stand for female and then be stopped on the rest)

Should I be admitting my blondness in not knowing!?!

jenniferknapp said:
I just have to say that I LOVE the cell commercial of the little girl getting in trouble for texting her "BFF Jill" too much by her mom... she says sooo many acronyms throughout the commercial, it cracks me up! Good thing they are translated and captioned on the screen!

http://www.youtube.com/p.swf?video_id=4nIUcRJX9-o&eurl=http%3A//www.google.com/search%3Fq%3D%2522idk%2Bmy%2Bbff%2Bjill%2522%26ie%3Dutf-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%26aq%3Dt%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla%3Aen&iurl=http%3A//img.youtube.com/vi/4nIUcRJX9-o/2.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskKRvTz3Mvv1r7722gyo729v

I wanna see this but I can't get the link to work...just keeps saying loading...and I've tried 1/2 a dozen times :(

When I clicked on the link it didn't work for me either but if you just go to www.youtube.com and then in the search I typed texting commercial and it showed up and played. It is so cute

Thanks Kim...when I tried that it worked...TOO funny!

raebates said:

My one sister insists (and I wouldn't dare to correct her) that WTF means "What the fudge" and another insists the F is Frak (as in Battlestar Galactic) and my friend's sister says is stands for What's the fun?

It's almost like snafu -- which was originally a military acronym meaning "situation normal -- all fouled up" Of course those military of my acquantaince substitute the F for a stronger word. But Snafu has entered the varnacular as it's own word... wtf has almost achieved it's own word status, where the F doesn't stand for anything.

Last edited:
ChefBeckyD said:
DH - Dear Husband, or whatever adjective is appropriate at the time!;)
DD - most often Dear Daughter, as opposed to DS for Dear Son
KWIM - Know What I Mean?

And I KWYM :)D ) when I first started perusing chat rooms etc....It took me FOREVER to figure out what LOL meant!
The one that took me forever was...

IYKWIM - If you know what I mean

Then there's

ROTFLMAO - Rolling on the floor LMAO (read previous post, LOL!)

and from Patch Adams...

IDGARA - I don't give a rat's ...

For other normal ones...

BIL/SIL - Brother-in-law, sister-in-law
BTDT - Been there, done that
BTW - By the way
BRB - Be right back
FTR - For the record
FWIW - For what it's worth
IMHO - In my honest opinion
JMHO - Just my honest opinion
HTH - Hope that helps or Happy to help
IIRC - If I recall correctly
ITA - I totally agree
OT - Off topic
OTOH - On the other hand
LMK - Let me know
POV - Point of view
TIA - thanks in advance
WYSIWYG: what you see is what you get

Yes, I am online way too much! :p

jenniferknapp said:
That is so true! I barely ever swear, but when I am typing, WTF is just another "OMG" ....but you don't really mean it....if it makes sense! ...it just takes OMG to the next level.... like LOL and LMAO (laugh my *** off)
Hmm, I really mean it when I say WTF!

Teresa Lynn said:
ROTFLMAO!!

chef_kimmo said:
Rae, why can't I think of what you were think of for WNF? Sometimes I can figure these out but I can't get all letters on this one without what she already gave us. (I would make the F stand for female and then be stopped on the rest)

Know how to get a blonde to change her mind?

give her another drink

How about IRL= In Real Life

I have also seem POS (parent over shoulder)

Though PoS can also stand for Piece of S%$^, depending on context. :D

I would never (ok, I've said it like 2x in my life) the "f" word, but I use WTF all the time. Though in my head, the F is usually for frig (is that an OK word to use, I know some areas that's as bad as the other f word, if not, please let me know and I"ll edit). I've also seen some people say Whiskey Tango Foxtrot for WTF, which is funny. :)

I sometimes think that due to the internet, we're slowly losing our ability to speak and write like normal people. :p

northern_sunshine said:
I sometimes think that due to the internet, we're slowly losing our ability to speak and write like normal people. :p
Absolutely! I no longer have the ability to write without emoticons! :eek: :p :cool:

chef_kimmo said:

It doesn't really mean anything. It's just way too close to WTF not to make me laugh. I giggle easily.

Great question Kim !!! I am horrible at acronyms ( except when it comes to PC products !!!!). I thought LOL meant Lots of Luck !!!! Thanks ladies for the info. Now I have to re-read a few postings !!!!

Jane Schaefer
bake with schaefer

Hey, I had not come back to this for a little while due to computer difficulties and I never get anything done when I start reading on here. I was reading on a thread and saw KWIM... I was wondering what does that mean again and thought I would look in this thread.

I was reading through and saw someone else acronym list. THANK YOU. I saw one post and thought of another I haven't seen here which doesn't relate to any thing PC. It is FUBAR - which will happen to the person who stole my PC products out of my car (separate post) when & if I figure out who they are.

To me this is a fun post because there are so many of these that I keep forgetting about.

I might have missed it when skimming through this thread but I always mean:

"lots of luck" when I say "lol" (never thought of "laughing out loud"! - lol

I purposely try not to use some acronyms because in my mind they wouldn't have the swear words because I don't swear...but most don't think Oh my goodness so they'd assume I was swearing...

Same with FUBAR...that used to be fouled up beyond all repair...now, well, you know...so I don't use it...

My husband still uses PUHA on medical calls which makes me cringe, but gets the point across...another one of military origin.

I guess these have as many variants as do normal terms like sofa vs. couch vs. davenport... he-he.

janetupnorth said:
I purposely try not to use some acronyms because in my mind they wouldn't have the swear words because I don't swear...but most don't think Oh my goodness so they'd assume I was swearing...

Same with FUBAR...that used to be fouled up beyond all repair...now, well, you know...so I don't use it...

My husband still uses PUHA on medical calls which makes me cringe, but gets the point across...another one of military origin.

I guess these have as many variants as do normal terms like sofa vs. couch vs. davenport... he-he.

:confused: :confused:

katie0128 said:

Pick up and haul a _ _ (used by EMTs and paramedics for critical patients who must be transported to hospital ASAP)

katie0128 said:

I wondered that too Katie......tell us Janet - what is PUHA? I've tried to think of something that would make me cringe....but it's not coming......

ChefBeckyD said:
I wondered that too Katie......tell us Janet - what is PUHA? I've tried to think of something that would make me cringe....but it's not coming......

See above Becky...

Oh - now I get it!

We must have been posting at about the same time Janet!

I'm taking a break from raspberry picking for a few minutes.

LOL :0)

Which somewhat related to this... for the longest time, I thought :) was hyrogliphics (sp?) or something! I didn't realize it was a sideways smiley face!

Also military in origin and related...SNAFU - Situation Normal, All Fouled Up
FUBAR - Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition

FUBAR - f**ked up beyond all recognition

Related to Understanding Common Acronyms and Abbreviations for Online Communication

Question 1: What does RUFTH stand for?

RUFTH stands for Round Up From The Heart.

Question 2: What does EAD stand for?

EAD stands for Easy Accent Decorator.

Question 3: What does SA stand for?

SA stands for Simple Additions.

Question 4: What does DDB stand for?

DDB stands for Deep Dish Baker.

Question 5: What do LOL, ROTFL, ROTFLMAO, TTFN, and TTYL stand for?

LOL stands for Laugh Out Loud.

ROTFL stands for Rolling on the Floor Laughing.

ROTFLMAO stands for Rolling on the Floor Laughing my A$$ off.

TTFN stands for Ta ta for now.

TTYL stands for Talk to you later.

Question 6: What does DH stand for?

DH can stand for different things depending on the context. Some common meanings are Dear Husband, Dear Heart, Dumb Head, or Dirty Hair.

Question 7: What does DD stand for?

Similar to DH, DD can have multiple meanings such as Dear Dad, Dear Daughter, or Dirty Dog.

Question 8: What does KWIM stand for?

KWIM stands for Know What I Mean.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • KellyTheChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views