• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Traveler's Insurance: Restoring Homes and Childhood Memories

In summary, the new television spot from Traveler's Insurance might be stirring a pleasant memory from your childhood - it certainly did for me.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
…a new television spot from Traveler's Insurance might be stirring a pleasant memory from your childhood - it certainly did for me.

In the spot, a family's home is destroyed, much to their dismay, by what seems to be an earthquake. Actually, it's a dollhouse, and it is destroyed by the child owner of the house. The point is that Traveler's can restore your home. The music that runs under the spot is a piece entitled Puffin' Billy, originally written for a BBC children's program about a steam engine.

It was chosen by a CBS actor/host named Bob Keeshan for his own new children's show that ran for nearly 30 years from 1955 to 1984. The tune was used as his theme song until 1974. I can't post the music here, but you can click on the link below to hear the music - and see if it doesn't stir a childhood memory for you, too!

Puffin' Billy.

Wow! I recognize the song, but didn't know that Captain Kangaroo used that as a theme song. I'm too young to remember that. I remember his "Good Morning Captain" song. I used to hate Walther Cronkite in the morning because I had to wait for him to finish before the Captain would come on. I was a Captain Kangaroo child more so than a Sesame Street child.

When I was a kid, the Captain was on every morning. His coat was black - of course, we only had a black and white television but it didn't matter, because the entire show was in black and white until 1968, long after I had outgrown the series. When it went to color, his jacket became bright red.My other outstanding memory of the show was Mr. Green Jeans. I remember the very first time I saw Mr. Green Jeans - and remember, I was just a little kid - I recognized his voice and identified him as Uncle Lumpy. Lumpy Brannum was a musician and actor that had his own children's show in New York. Before that, he had worked with Bob Keeshan on the old Howdy Doody program, where Keeshan was Clarabelle the Clown. Brannum also played the bass and was with Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians. On the Fred Waring radio program, Uncle Lumpy would tell Little Orley stories that were later published on Decca Records. I had (and still have!) four of those Little Orley stories on 78 RPM records. That's how I recognized Mr. Green Jeans as Lumpy Brannum, from listening to those Little Orley records over and over again. (It's a wonder my mother didn't end up institutionalized.)

I am 32 and I recognize the show. Captain Kangaroo was still on when I was a kid in the 1980s.

Yes, but the theme music, Puffin' Billy, was dropped in 1974. A few notes of it were used in the new theme song (with proper credit given to the original composer) but the entire recording was no longer used after 1974. The show continued until the end of 1984.

Oh wow! That actually gave me goose bumps! I grew up on the Captain and Mr. Green Jeans and Bunny Rabbit! In fact, if I go back I think that was the one show I really remember from way long ago! Thanks KG. There is always something wonderful in those types of memories.

You can learn more about Mr. Green Jeans on the official http://www.littleorley.com/history.htm. If you follow the links to the samples of the Little Orley Stories (or just click on the link below) you'll hear his voice as he tells you the stories of http://www.littleorley.com/orleyradio.html. (Which took place on Valentine's Day!)

I've seen that commercial and immediately thought "that's the theme for Captain Kangaroo!"

Ok, so we had the Captain, Mr. Greenjeans, Bunny Rabbit. Do you remember Mr. Moose and Cornelius and Mr. Bainter the Painter, Grandfather Clock and Dancing Bear? How about Tom Terrific?

Boy, I'm really showing my age! Memories are good things!

I know what you mean KG.. I remember the show in black and white too..

Tom Terrific, with Mighty Manfred, The Wonder Dog.Besides Mr. Green Jeans, Hugh "Uncle Lumpy" Brannum played The Professor, Greeno The Clown, The Old Folk Singer, and Mr. Bainter the Painter. During one episode, when the show was live, a lion cub bit Mr. Green Jeans on the finger. Brannum put his hand in his pocket and did not break character for the rest of the show. Bob Keeshan worked with Brannum back in the Howdy Doody days, and said that Mr. Green Jeans was pretty much an extension of Brannum's real life persona.

Glad somebody remembered Mr Moose!! Can't forget the ping pong balls!! When I was in college in the early 90's the local PBS station in Milwaukee played re-runs. I babysat for a three year old and it was a big treat to watch Captain Kangaroo while he was eating breakfast. When "Picture Pages" with Bill Cosby came on, it was time to make sure that shoes, and jackets were on so I could take him to school.

Thanks! I couldn't place the music. I had quite the crush on Mr. Green Jeans. Mr. Moose and the ping pong balls always made me laugh. Still does.

Thanks for the memories - loved Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Green Jeans, and the whole gang!

I had a pair of green jeans and my brother and sister called me Mrs. Green Jeans. :)

Related to Traveler's Insurance: Restoring Homes and Childhood Memories

1. How can I maintain my energy levels while working a busy schedule?

As we age, our bodies may require more rest and recovery time. To maintain energy levels, it's important to prioritize self-care and get enough sleep. Additionally, incorporating regular exercise and a balanced diet can help improve overall energy levels.

2. What are some healthy meal options for individuals over 40?

As we age, it's important to focus on nutrient-dense foods that support our bodies' changing needs. Some healthy meal options for individuals over 40 include lean proteins, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and healthy fats. It's also important to limit processed foods and added sugars.

3. How can I manage stress and maintain mental wellness as I get older?

As we age, we may experience increased stress and changes in our mental health. To manage stress and maintain mental wellness, it's important to practice self-care activities such as meditation, yoga, or spending time in nature. Seeking support from a therapist or joining a support group can also be beneficial.

4. What are some healthy cooking tips for individuals over 40?

As we age, our bodies may require different nutrients and portion sizes. When cooking, it's important to focus on incorporating a variety of whole, nutrient-dense foods and to pay attention to portion sizes. It can also be helpful to limit added sugars, sodium, and unhealthy fats.

5. How can I maintain a healthy weight as I get older?

As we age, hormonal changes and a slower metabolism can make it more challenging to maintain a healthy weight. To support a healthy weight, it's important to focus on a balanced diet with portion control and regular exercise. It may also be helpful to speak with a healthcare professional for personalized recommendations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• thechefofnorthbend
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedharriet
Back