• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Make a Historical Report Fun for Kids?

not!)Anyway...I digress. How about Sam Houston? Fairly well known...TONS of books about him, and the teacher will be truly impressed! (I'm...not!)
JenBowen
Gold Member
Ok so this is not PC related at all, but I am completely lost. My 9 year old DD has to do this report on a Historical person. But not just an normal report of facts and such so she could pick anyone. She has to get 5 "interesting" facts about this person, create a business card, draw a picture of their face...and DRESS like them with props! I don't know about any of you but I don't have old english get ups to do someone like Betsy Ross! Ok just had to vent. Thanks! :D

How about Regis Philbin? I think he's old enough to qualify for historical! LOL!!

Seriously.....how about Juliette Gordon Low? (Founder of Girl Scouts) As a GS leader, she's the one that immediately came to mind.

LMAO...I almost suggested William Shatner..just so she could talk like him! Hilarious!:p

pcchris said:
Seriously.....how about Juliette Gordon Low? (Founder of Girl Scouts) As a GS leader, she's the one that immediately came to mind.
That might work...she has the uniform! THANKS for the idea
I have to find a book on her though? hmm wonder if there is one

do some online checking....otherwise call your local Girl Scout council...tell them what you are doing, I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out!

Okay, my DD did this same thing, and she picked Clara Barton (founder of the American Red Cross). She just wore a long skirt, a blouse and a shawl, and had her hair in a tight "bun". It worked...she got an "A" for it. (sorry, it was an afterthought)

pcchris said:
Okay, my DD did this same thing, and she picked Clara Barton (founder of the American Red Cross). She just wore a long skirt, a blouse and a shawl, and had her hair in a tight "bun". It worked...she got an "A" for it. (sorry, it was an afterthought)
I really appreciate the ideas, I was involved in GS before, so she would know about that...I like the ARC idea though. Thanks so much.

No problem....glad to be of help! Should be interesting to see what others come up with! HEY! How about Doris Chistopher??

whos that lol? i have no sense of history

pcchris said:
No problem....glad to be of help! Should be interesting to see what others come up with! HEY! How about Doris Chistopher??

That's who I thought of immediately!!!!
She is the founder of Pampered Chef! :)

I asked my kids and they both suggested Clara Barton.

My DD had this type of assignment last year. It was called a wax museum and she went as Nellie Bly, she was a famous female newspaper reporter who traveled around the world in 80 days. She wore a long blk skirt with a high neck white blouse with her hair in a tight bun. She had a suitcase and old typewriter for props. We live in the middle of nowhere so costumes were hard to come by. Some of the other girls were Mae West, Marilyn Monroe, Jane Austin,and Ellenor Roosevelt. Good luck!!

JenBowen said:
That might work...she has the uniform! THANKS for the idea
I have to find a book on her though? hmm wonder if there is one

Here is a good link http://www.girlscouts.org/who_we_are/history/low_biography/ to help with the research.

tlennhoff said:
Here is a good link http://www.girlscouts.org/who_we_are/history/low_biography/ to help with the research.

I have that info. Thanks...But she actually needs a book! which makes it the hard part. If she could just go online and do it, I wouldn't care so much. Not a big deal. But she has to find a book that is on her level.

chefjenibel said:
That's who I thought of immediately!!!!
She is the founder of Pampered Chef! :)
DUH I should know that :eek:

How about Helen Keller? She wouldn't have to say anything.

[turns, ducks, holds hands over head]

Eleanor Roosevelt? Clara Ford? (She fed gasoline to the carburetor while Henry tested his first internal combustion engine.) Maggie Thatcher?

Doris Christopher has a book. Several have been written about Eleanor Roosevelt, Clara Ford can be found in several books about the Ford family.

The girl scout handbook has an 'album' section on Juliette Low with facts about how she started GS, where she was from, what activities she did, and how she sold her pearl necklace to start GS. Don't know if that's the kind of book you're looking for, but hope it helps.

I noticed that you are in PA...I was born there and moved to Texas when I was 10.

Anyway...I digress. How about Sam Houston? Fairly well known...TONS of books about him, and the teacher will be truly impressed! (I'm a teacher and I would be impressed!!! :0) ) So what if she's a girl....go to the salvation army and find a suit, the hair would be easy....

Here's a link. Guess i'm a little bias...went to Sam Houston State!

http://www.shsu.edu/~smm_www/index.html

How about a really interesting character in American automobile history that no one seems to know anything about? Edsel Ford.A brilliant man, an excellent designer, leader of the arts community in Detroit, and someone that is remembered for an awful car that was named after him. He deserved better than that, and deserves to be remembered for the gentleman that he was.

oh oh I got one !Louisa Mae Alcott she wrote "Little Women" you will find so much info about her and her family and it would most likely even be interesting to you both (which makes helping easier) and she can also watch the movie.

and does "historical" mean it needs to be an old/dead person? or someone who has done something historical?
I know our 5th graders do this and they go from George Washington to current heros & sports figures.
what about Christie McColugh (sp?) the teacher that was on the space shuttle.....
geesh I can't remember the name of the shuttle how long ago was that anyway?:eek:

People tell me I'm historical. Oh, wait, that was hysterical.Never mind.http://www.starhop.com/images/chris.gif
Christa McAuliffeYou can read her biography http://www.starhop.com/cm_bio.htm. The Challenger exploded 73 seconds into its mission on January 28, 1986. It's one of those dates and times, like September 11, 2001 and November 22, 1963 where I will always remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news.

thanks KG .
I knew someone could refresh my memory.

Eleanore Roosevelt. That would be my pick

How about Laura Ingalls wilder. She wrote her own books about herself. Actually there are books about her at the library too. Just a long skirt, and a bonnet, lunch bucket and your set. But popular, others might be her also.

I was working when the shuttle exploded. Remember it well, but couldn't remember the date. Would have had to look it up. 2001 is too recent to have forgotten that date yet. Not born yet in 1963.

You will never, ever forget September 11, 2001.My parents' generation will never forget December 7, 1941.I will never forget November 22, 1963.

1. How can I make a historical report more engaging for kids?

One way to make a historical report more engaging for kids is to incorporate interactive elements such as games, hands-on activities, or role-playing. You can also include visual aids like photos, maps, and videos to help bring the historical events to life.

2. What are some creative ideas for presenting historical information?

Some creative ideas for presenting historical information include creating a timeline, making a scrapbook or journal, putting on a play or skit, or creating a virtual tour. You can also use props or costumes to make the presentation more interactive and memorable.

3. How can I encourage kids to do their own research for a historical report?

One way to encourage kids to do their own research is to give them a variety of resources to choose from, such as books, websites, and interviews with experts or people who lived during the time period. You can also assign specific topics or questions for them to research and present in their report.

4. What are some fun ways to incorporate technology into a historical report?

Some fun ways to incorporate technology into a historical report include creating a digital presentation or slideshow, using online tools to create interactive timelines or maps, or creating a podcast or video. You can also have kids use technology to research and gather information for their report.

5. How can I make a historical report relevant and relatable for kids?

To make a historical report relevant and relatable for kids, you can tie in current events or modern-day connections to the historical topic. For example, you can discuss how a historical event or figure has influenced society today or compare and contrast the past with the present. You can also ask kids to reflect on their own lives and how they would have reacted or felt in a similar situation during the time period.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • pcchris
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
nikkijo
Replies