• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Totally off Topic---Science Fair

In summary, Debbie's 3rd grader wants to do a science fair project, and their parents are looking for ideas. Debbie provides a list of easy projects that kids can do at home. Some of the projects include studying the effects of different colors of light on plants or making a model solar system.
lacychef
Usually I don't ask such random questions of you guys....but my brain is fried from taking care of my sick dd all week.
My 3rd grader wants to do the science fair & we're trying to come up with a good/easy project. I'm thinking maybe something to do with plants; like different rooms' light affecting growth, or maybe if music affects growth....any other suggestions??? It's gotta be easy (they're just learning about science starting this year afterall) & not very time consuming.....:confused:

Mine won regional science fairs...Colors that conduct heat! Need 5 empty metal coffee cans, spray them different colors (Red, Brown, Black, White, Blue) Use a pool thermometer to test the temperature each hour for 6-8 hours...The results might be surprising :)

Another regional winner (for when your daughter is older) involved TEETH!!! Soaking them in different beverages over the period of two weeks and the results were also shocking.

(Coffee, pepsi, coke, water, milk, tea) Change the liquids each day :)

ughubug said:
Another regional winner (for when your daughter is older) involved TEETH!!! Soaking them in different beverages over the period of two weeks and the results were also shocking.

(Coffee, pepsi, coke, water, milk, tea) Change the liquids each day :)
oooh, I bet that might make you change your drinking habits!

Science fair projectsWell last year my son made a volcano and my daughter made bird houses and observed birds in our neighborhood.

This year my daughter wants to do a solar system and my son is going to make a homemade magnet with some copper wiring and a battery.

I found this for you, it's simple and gets your child to answer some questions while changing the plants surroundings. Plus other websites with other ideas. They look neat!

http://photoscience.la.asu.edu/photosyn/education/sciencefair.html

http://www.infowest.com/life/projplants.htm

Botany science projects & experiments - learn about plants

My daughter would have done something with plants too if she wouldn't have done the solar system.

Debbie :D

ughubug said:
Mine won regional science fairs...Colors that conduct heat! Need 5 empty metal coffee cans, spray them different colors (Red, Brown, Black, White, Blue) Use a pool thermometer to test the temperature each hour for 6-8 hours...The results might be surprising :)

Do you have any more information on this - My DD has one to do too - I love this idea - and how do you put it on the poster board - thanks

PamperedDor said:
Do you have any more information on this - My DD has one to do too - I love this idea - and how do you put it on the poster board - thanks

Use the Cans and thermometer as the display. Fill the board with your title, hypothesis, process, results, conclusion, and pictures of the testing site.

I used the 5 different colors of cans against the backing of each of the 5 steps for visual appearance.

I LOVED SCIENCE FAIR TIME...Mom...HATED science fair time :blushing:

Awesome - thanks for your help - How long did you test the water for btw -

I think it was 8 hours, tested it every hour

Beware of projects that involve dirt (plants) or animals. We had to sign TONS of legal-ish papers for our science projects. They didn't want dirt used in a way that you could change it or cause a chemical reaction (pouring a liquid other than water in it)...bunch of bio-terrorism stuff!

My son (7th grade) did a fun one that smaller kids could do with supervision. He wanted to see which wood was the hardest. Using a nail gun (I said supervised!!) he shot nails into 4 types of wood using different pressures. He loved it and it turned out really nice.

Well, I don't know about rules on bioterrorism, and maybe I'm just too old (but at 27, I doubt it, though the times have changed....)BUT my advice is that the light/music/plant, though it seems easy, totally isn't! I did that one in 6th grade. Of course part of my problem was my yet to be discovered black thumb, that kills all plants equally quickly :DIn 7th grade I tested the effects of junk food vs healthy balanced diet on white mice. How did that get approved??? Anyway, also not an easy project. (plus, three of my "all female" mice turned out to be male - the dominant one killed the weaker two, and impregnated all of the females. yikes!)I did the model solar system in 4th grade, and it was a lot of fun, but if you have to have an actual experiment, vs just a science project, it's not a great one. Not too many hypotheses to make :)So I'm not too helpful in ideas that are good, just warnings about projects that are more challenging than they seem.

thanks for the tips!
She has decided to do "how music affects plant growth"....so we will see!

Great
lacychef said:
thanks for the tips!
She has decided to do "how music affects plant growth"....so we will see!

Great let us know how it turns out.

Debbie :D

Related to Totally off Topic---Science Fair

1. What is the purpose of a science fair?

The purpose of a science fair is to encourage students to explore and investigate scientific concepts and present their findings in a creative and organized manner. It also helps students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.

2. How do I choose a science fair project?

When choosing a science fair project, it is important to pick a topic that interests you and aligns with your strengths and abilities. You can also consider current events, real-world problems, and your personal curiosity as inspiration for your project.

3. How much time should I spend on my science fair project?

The amount of time you should spend on your science fair project varies depending on the complexity and scope of your project. Generally, it is recommended to start working on your project at least a few weeks in advance to allow enough time for research, experimentation, and preparation for the presentation.

4. What are the key elements of a successful science fair project?

A successful science fair project should include a clear and testable hypothesis, a well-designed experiment, accurate and organized data collection, and a logical conclusion supported by evidence. It should also have a visually appealing display and an engaging presentation.

5. How can I make my science fair project stand out?

To make your science fair project stand out, you can choose a unique and creative topic, conduct thorough research, use eye-catching visuals, and present your findings in a clear and confident manner. You can also add elements such as demonstrations, models, or interactive components to make your project more engaging.

Back